Descripforce

Description Force!

I've been meaning to do some reviewing for weeks now. If I get some encouragement, I may just tackle what I can tomorrow. ;p

Post your favorite breed (just one per person!) and I'll try and hit those first.

We haven't quite hit 15k yet. Whoo-hoo, right? rolleyes.gif

My faves are nebulas! I only have one description in the queue right now, and it's not a neb, but I might be hit by inspiration later.

Edit: I was reviewing some descriptions, and

user posted image

Edited by Umbee

Spitfires, please! I have a few in the queue, and I happen to like them. Glassblower dragons are such interesting things...

My faves are nebulas! I only have one description in the queue right now, and it's not a neb, but I might be hit by inspiration later.

Edit: I was reviewing some descriptions, and

user posted image

I hope that last line was written as a joke!

And even if it is, it doesn't adhere to the description guidelines. Five points for that apostrophe.

Edited by dirtytabs

I'm going to toss Green Dino hatchling onto the pile, not that they're a big favorite, but just because I have one with a description that I'd love to see approved. <3

Of course, I could change that to Black hatchling, for the same reason, but I'll stick with the Dino for this go-round! xd.png

This isn't off topic so bear with me. I love this thread but moreso I think I more love the quirky awesome people who write and review descrips. One of the most fun group of people. I think we are probably due for another descript knock out event.

There is a chat room people can join on IRC (the Dc chat thing for those newer). However, #descipdoom and #dragonlotto and even the main #DC chat have been quiet without too many new faces in awhile.

So since I am stuck at home babysitting my older bunny who can't seem to decide if she wants to live or die (12 hours no eat usually means dead bunny she went over 48 but is now eating again and bouncing about happily) ..... so yeah definitely stuck watching her all day and my computer, maybe I can do breeding or lottos or other stuff for anyone who wants to pop in. Hey, I figure if you are willing to look at some of the backlog or log into chat somewhere, I'm happy to toss around some fun/nice lines I'd have made AP surprise finds anyway or nice forum gifts.

Anyone want to join in or schedule something larger in the future? 13k is a big number and descriptions are great fun fo many players. But helping to knock them out and meeting the people who do them is fun too. And we are always happy to generally gift and have fun parties and chats, and so does the rest of IRC. So I like to support the process by making it fun for you hard workers!

Man, I would love some Gemshards and Hooktalons being approved.

This isn't off topic so bear with me. I love this thread but moreso I think I more love the quirky awesome people who write and review descrips. One of the most fun group of people. I think we are probably due for another descript knock out event.

There is a chat room people can join on IRC (the Dc chat thing for those newer). However, #descipdoom and #dragonlotto and even the main #DC chat have been quiet without too many new faces in awhile.

So since I am stuck at home babysitting my older bunny who can't seem to decide if she wants to live or die (12 hours no eat usually means dead bunny she went over 48 but is now eating again and bouncing about happily) ..... so yeah definitely stuck watching her all day and my computer, maybe I can do breeding or lottos or other stuff for anyone who wants to pop in. Hey, I figure if you are willing to look at some of the backlog or log into chat somewhere, I'm happy to toss around some fun/nice lines I'd have made AP surprise finds anyway or nice forum gifts.

Anyone want to join in or schedule something larger in the future? 13k is a big number and descriptions are great fun fo many players. But helping to knock them out and meeting the people who do them is fun too. And we are always happy to generally gift and have fun parties and chats, and so does the rest of IRC. So I like to support the process by making it fun for you hard workers!

Yes. smile.gif I'd love to see us hold another descripday event!

Yes. smile.gif I'd love to see us hold another descripday event!

Me too! I've never been on one and it sounds like such fun biggrin.gif

Other than The The Description Help Thread which gives a few very basic ideas and some suggestions and answers some questions, has there been an effort to collect "best practices" including maybe some detailed things of what people who review look for so when people write maybe they have a more detailed guideline of things to do and don't do? I looked at the Help thread and found it a bit vague for someone who might just be starting off and not really sure where to go. Especially if they aren't as familiar with writing stories, descriptions, or even the English Language.

I'm sure this idea has been mentioned somewhere, but if the doc was good enough, perhaps it could be even sticky noted somewhere. Has this been discussed or attempted somewhere before and I missed it in my brief scans?

If not, can we work on something, as... if this is the group that focuses the most on reviewing, (and encouraging writing), it might be the best group to make something. Even unofficial.

I just dove into the pile for about 5 minutes and I saw so many of the issues that are the worst offenders. I don't know if people are just being silly or just honestly don't know where to begin. I think the best answer to some of these might be posting a link to a FAQ and advice place vs me saying something along of the lines "Why are you even bothering to waste our time and make the backlog worse??" (Yes thats negative and I don't want to say that just using an extreme example), especially if the person honestly doesn't know. This would be a much quicker/better answer.

If they are just being silly, well, I can't stop silly.

ETA: Still waiting on word for the Knock out Weekend, don't mean to detract from that idea. But I'm glad ya'll are excited about another possible one. And I want to help support and promote and get ya'll gifts and things!

Edited by natayah

Some of them might not be forum users so they wouldn't know about the threads that could help them.

That's a good point. But if we gave them a url to go look at it would be a good help. So maybe a google doc?

Also, btw, I'm in IRC most if not all day so if anyone wants to pop either into the normal DC chat, or #descripdoom or anywhere else, I'm happy to breed upon request for various stuff. Feel free to stop by, no work required. Just wanting some people to feel out the chat options we have, especially if they want to say hi or have questions or just meet people!

Edited by natayah

WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!

MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH!

Go socky! Uh huh! Oh yeah! Encourage! Wooooo! Sock! Yeaaah! Motivation! You can do it! Happy reviewing! WOW!

By far the best encouragement, LOL. I love it. Thanks. You are a lovely person. <3

~

Done:

Shadow walkers

Thunders

Neos

Arsanis

Seasonals (I can't pick a certain seasonal)

As well as a few random users, mostly users who had repetitive descriptions that seemed easier to knock out in bulk.

Sorry I don't have better news/results, all. I will keep chipping away, though, going through the dragons listed here first.

I personally don't visit any more because

1) I feel guilty visiting when not reviewing descriptions

2) I get distracted by chat too much to actually review when I'm there

lol

1) I feel guilty visiting when not reviewing descriptions

I don't visit chat because of usage issues with my ISP, but you should not feel guilty about descriptions. We still love you, and thank you for all that you do. You cover a LOT more than just descriptions, as well as having a rl,! You have such a good heart, and always do as much as you can, so how can we ask any more than that? wub.gif

No requests here, just wanted to let the mod team that processes descriptions know that their time and efforts are much appreciated. smile.gif

I've always found reading and writing descriptions to be the most interesting part of the site (and am avidly looking forward to Encyclopedia updates, because I love flavor text). It's awesome that you all are helping owners not only make their characters unique, but also build their own worlds within Dragon Cave's overarching universe as well.

Edited by Sylvain

I don't visit chat because of usage issues with my ISP, but you should not feel guilty about descriptions. We still love you, and thank you for all that you do. You cover a LOT more than just descriptions, as well as having a rl,! You have such a good heart, and always do as much as you can, so how can we ask any more than that? wub.gif

Aww, aren't you the sweetest of treats. <3 I could do more descriptions than I do, though. ^^;;

~

Power went out four times tonight, so not much done.

By far the best encouragement, LOL. I love it. Thanks. You are a lovely person. <3

Aww, thank you!

You have no need to feel guilty for not reviewing descriptions. We love you anyways, and plus, that's not the only thing mods cover. So don't worry about it! You're still awesome!

Edit: Sheesh. I'm so ORIGINAL! perhaps I should rephrase that in a way that did not copy pretty much everything that Dragongrrl said.

Don't feel guilty for not covering one of the many branches that mods cover, you're still awesome, fun, lovable and overall supergreat. Plus, you just reviewed like... 5 breeds. I think that should cover you for a while! Love ya!

Edited by EmmaD333

The past couple of times I've gone to chat (okay, today and yesterday, but still), I haven't seen descripdoom in the list of channels. Is it just that nobody is there so it doesn't show up, or did it vanish?

The past couple of times I've gone to chat (okay, today and yesterday, but still), I haven't seen descripdoom in the list of channels. Is it just that nobody is there so it doesn't show up, or did it vanish?

We're there right now MC.

*sigh*

I have two pending descriptions that have been up a while. Each has garnered multiple accept and no deny votes, but so far no joy. I was waiting for them to be accepted before I put descriptions to others in my lair. sad.gif

I occasionally review descriptions and sign off with KF. Though in many cases i'm terrible with grammar. so my grammar advice should be checked against other advice.

I've got a few dragons awaiting approval. though the one I want approved most is my "CB Mini Minty"

Mini Minty is a sweet gentle little soul. He likes to spend his time playing at Kiya's heels where he knows he can feel safe. He also gets along well with Dispell, as the Cassare Dragon's magic quenching abilities don't affect the little mint dragon and the two can often be found playing together. When Mini Minty feels safe, he will frolic and play like a little puppy happy to have a home where he feels secure and loved.

as I said above, I'm terrible with grammar and i feel like the grammar needs work... but I'm stuck on where.

I haven't written descriptions for my dragons in a veeeery long time, but have just recently made the following for this vampire dragon:

No one knows for sure how Valerika came to be, and reports of caring for her while young differ wildly from one another. A clan of royal dragons from High Caverns claim that her egg was left to them on a dark night of Samhein, and that they raised her as part of their family. Other dragons report that they took in her egg after they saw it was abandoned outside a cave on a night close to the Yule Solstice- a year after the royal clan claims they received her egg.

Sadly neither group has any confirmation from Valerika herself, as all traces of her vanished a few days after becoming a fully fledged adult. Where she is now, no one can tell you. However, many have commented on crossing paths with her, spanning many different eras. While this is not uncommon for the eternally-lived members of the undead, her appearances and disappearances have always come across as... unnatural.

The reason I'm posting it here is because without context, I figure a lot of people (perhaps mods included) will reject the description. The description itself is based on the fact that her "grown up" stats show a glitch, saying she is from 2009 when she is an original 2008 dragon. Discussion regarding this can be found here for those who don't believe me. But I thought considering the special nature of this vampire, that I would add a fitting description for her smile.gif But yeah, that's what the backstory is for.

MY TIME TO SHINE.

I occasionally review descriptions and sign off with KF. Though in many cases i'm terrible with grammar. so my grammar advice should be checked against other advice.

I've got a few dragons awaiting approval. though the one I want approved most is my "CB Mini Minty"

[...]

as I said above, I'm terrible with grammar and i feel like the grammar needs work... but I'm stuck on where.

Mini Minty is a sweet, gentle little soul. He likes to spend his time playing at Kiya's heels where he knows he can feel safe. He also gets along well with Dispell, as the Cassare Dragon's magic quenching abilities don't affect the little mint dragon, and the two can often be found playing together. When Mini Minty feels safe, he will frolic and play like a little puppy, happy to have a home where he feels secure and loved.

Other than the addition of a few commas in there, there's nothing grammatically incorrect about the description. (In fact, I think I saw and approved that in the queue... or a description like that.) The third comma doesn't have to be there if you're saying the hypothetical puppy is happy to have a home, not Minty. wink.gif

I haven't written descriptions for my dragons in a veeeery long time, but have just recently made the following for this vampire dragon:

[...]

Having read it first without context, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary - well, there is, but there's no (good) reason to reject the description. smile.gif One could say either party is lying about when they found the egg, or it happened so long ago that Valerika's origins are mythical, or both stories are true and she is just mysterious in nature, or magic...

"Where she is now, no one can say" would remove 2nd-person from the description