Descripforce

Description Force!

Y'all are added too! And Syl, it's perfectly fine to share your descrips here or head on over to Description Comments and respond to what others have already said.

Cool. smile.gif Since I haven't described too many of my dragons yet, I'll go ahead and dump them all here.

Dragon's Name: Breed

Luftetar: non-alt Black

Luftetar appears to be a common Black at first glance, but only upon further observation does it become clear that he is vastly different: He is crippled. This remarkable black is one of very few of his breed to be born entirely without magic and make it to maturity. As a hatchling, he was abandoned by his parents and shunned by his breed, and he was forced to survive entirely on his own. Though weaker than other males his age, he miraculously made it to adulthood... But when breeding season came all his advances were met with scorn. Determined to do more than survive, the young male threw himself into physical training and, in the years to come, his physical prowess would reach a level practically worshipped by his warrior brethren.

His mate, Shkathet, is the only dragon to have defeated him in battle since he reached the height of his power.

His was the first description I wrote, and I love it as much now as I did then. wub.gif

Shkathet: non-alt Black

Shkathet was born with a potent magic that gives her great power in all situations, and she takes great pride in her many victories in battle. She is often disdainful of those she considers less skilled than herself, however, and upon meeting a male, Luftetar, that lacked magic altogether, she was downright contemptuous.

When he challenged her to a fight, she only barely won and was thoroughly impressed. After many more bouts of sparring- and humbling losses- she took Luftetar as her mate.

Ereze Ziera: Black Tea

While most Tea dragons are content to gulp down the butterflies they attract without a second thought, Ereze finds himself greatly fascinated with the creatures. This eccentric dragon collects butterflies on a colossal scale, and he takes great pride in the fact that all other butterfly collections pale in comparison to his... despite the fact that he snacks on it occasionally.

Barishte-Uje: Black Tea

Barishte is a rather guileless dragon; she loves the bright colors and graceful wings of all butterflies, and though she eats them just like every other Tea Dragon does, she secretly wishes she could be one. She's a bit of a gypsy, wandering about Valkmere to follow butterfly migrations, and her affable nature ensures she finds new friends wherever she goes.

Barishte possesses a childlike wonder that very few, dragons and humans alike, manage to hold on to as they age. Some attribute this to the fact that she never stays in one place long enough to have learned how to hold a grudge, but her mate Ereze knows that she is simply kind-hearted by nature.

Mish Shpese: Chicken

Mish may look like a chicken, but she is actually a dragon. Really- just look at her fearsome talons! Watch her fly! Hear her- bawk..... Hush. You know that was a roar.

Pende Pule: Chicken

Pende holds no delusions of grandeur like many other cave-dwelling chickens do. She knows she is a chicken, and she's perfectly content in this knowledge. She is a very level-headed and direct chicken, and while she's not one of their kind, most dragons in the cave appreciate her for her calm nature.

Persosmeri: Gold

Her scales gleam with an unnatural beauty, and the air around her crackles with her magic. Simply being in her presence fills even the mightiest warriors with foreboding; should they have known her mother, their fear would be even greater. Thus, all are surprised by Persosmeri's warm personality if they ever speak to her.

This apparent conflict is no fluke. Her mother, Asis, is a beautiful and fearsome sorceress who is rumored immortal; it is due to her Persosmeri is a dragon fated to death. The moment Asis discovered the egg she had laid was a Gold- not a Sunsong- she was bent on killing it. However, her kind-hearted mate, Aetas, convinced her to hatch the egg and freeze it, allowing her to add a statue of living gold to her hoard.

While she waited, Aetas spirited the egg away to safety. When she discovered his treachery, her wrath was that of a God and the sky rained blood and flames. Though Persosmeri is now safe, her days are numbered- one day, Asis will find her.

Persosmeri's description was written based off of her mother's beautiful description.

Those are all the descriptions I've written thus far. ^^ Hope you like them!

Edited by Sylph264

Shoot, I keep forgetting to sign off! Ugh. I shall write it on my hand... sign off as either E or ED.

I keep running into descriptions that don't explicitly violate the dragon's breed description but make strange generalisations about the breed or extreme claims about the specific dragon's physiology that I strongly suspect would have come up in the breed description if they were true or possible. What should I do with these descriptions?

Edited by ObsessedWithCats

Are we gonna have a Description Day anytime soon? Like March 15th last year... are we gonna do something like that again?

I keep running into descriptions that don't explicitly violate the dragon's breed description but make strange generalisations about the breed or extreme claims about the specific dragon's physiology that I strongly suspect would have come up in the breed description if they were true or possible. What should I do with these descriptions?

If they're plausible, I'd let them go. If they're too extreme, then comment that and abstain or reject.

It would be fun to have one again, Emma. I think we'd have to wait till Sock's available!

What's the backlog like right now? (I've got one description that I really want approved and I'd like to know how soon that's likely to happen happy.gif I have no idea how long the ones I have took, because after half a year I got tired of checking. sad.gif) (This one has had this description written for him:

Contrary to popular belief, -Is it gone yet- wasn't named after his shyness. Rather, he was named this after his previous owner hid from him and asked another dragon owner to 'make it go away'. Apparently, -Is it gone yet- was too 'messy' for the previous owner. MessengerDragon doesn't mind though, and she happily took him in to live with her. -Is it gone yet- is very grateful, and tries to help his owner in every way he can.
) Edited by MessengerDragon

What's the backlog like right now? (I've got one description that I really want approved and I'd like to know how soon that's likely to happen happy.gif I have no idea how long the ones I have took, because after half a year I got tired of checking. sad.gif) (This one has had this description written for him: )

The backlog for mod approval is easily thousands. Descriptions can take sometimes years to come up in the queue and get approved.

So I wouldn't count on it happening soon.. I might be wrong however.

You can PM mods with your dragon's name so they check its description first. Edit: Oops, scroll name. Ah ha.

Although... I'm not sure about the one you've posted. What in-universe qualifies as "messy"? How about adding a sentence about the previous owner's lineage-keeping or something?

Also, "grateful and tries" (I'm just picky about commas separating dependent clauses)

Edited by dirtytabs

I went in and approved that one (and about 40 others) - when reading it I didn't even think of lineages (which after reading your comment is probably what they meant), I just thought of it as making a mess i.e. messy.

Edited by rubyshoes

You can PM mods with your dragon's name so they check its description first.

We need your scrollname, not the dragon's name. ^^

IIRC, ruby, Infinis, and yosofine are all okay with being PM'd. (If ruby doesn't snipe it here first. ;p )

Thank you Ruby!

@Sock - Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Also, does that mean mods can find all described dragons on a scroll? (Because that would be nice, since I lost my list of dragons with pending descriptions. unsure.gif )

This description got rejected by someone... I know it happens a lot, but I'd like to know if there's areas for improvement. I worked quite hard on this one.

Nebbie always hated their name. Of course, their parents had to choose such an unoriginal name, a silly version of "Nebula." So just as they started to mature, they ran off, hoping to find the most beautiful galaxy of all so they could be named something beautiful. Nebbie roamed the lands, bragging about how they wouldn't rest until they found the most wonderful stars to copy. But, their constant bragging got them more enemies than friends, and soon, an angry Magi Dragon caught them, and cast a spell onto the hatchling that would curse them to stay a hatchling - and therefore, never able to copy a beautiful galaxy - ever again.

Anything to say about it?

And, since I heard that lineages might affect the chances of getting mod-approved, any comments about this one either?

Fallout knew she was special. It's not that others told her, but she had heard whispers of "Thuweds." She didn't know what it meant, but she was determined to solve the mystery of who the Thuweds were and how they related to her. She asked her friends, but her friends knew nothing, and when she tried asking the older dragons, they quickly avoided the question. So, she snuck into their human's cave and dug through their scrolls. It took a long time, but Fallout finally found out the answer. The Thuweds were the dragons of the legendary TJ. And she was one of them.

Thanks wink.gif

This description got rejected by someone... I know it happens a lot, but I'd like to know if there's areas for improvement. I worked quite hard on this one.

Without reason? Usually you can take those with a grain of salt.

Extra descriptions in the encyclopedia suggest as soon as hatchlings can see, they can copy nebulae. So even if frozen, a hatchling isn't stopped from acquiring patterns. Maybe that person disagreed with that bit of your description and were so angry they had to reject without comment. Ah ha ha.

Also, "But their constant", "them and cast"

And, since I heard that lineages might affect the chances of getting mod-approved, any comments about this one either?

Thanks wink.gif

You heard Tabs. tongue.gif Well, by "lineages" I meant perfect checkers, spirals, etc. and especially messy lineages. It doesn't make much sense in a description unless it's also mentioned that so-and-so carefully follows family trees, and "caveborn" dragons are those without a previously known lineage blah blah blah something about record keeping. But Thuweds are different 'cause they're not a pattern. Like, you can be Jim Q. Sweatsocks of this royal Sweatsocks line which can be traced to one of the original Sweatsocks who ruled this domain and that is why your bloodline is important, but it's different from saying your family tree looks like a square. So your description's great.

Although TJ's somewhat opposed to being this mythical figure on Valkemare. Stroking his ego, he said. tongue.gif But that's no biggie.

Edited by dirtytabs

A collage of memorably bad descriptions encountered during an hour of description checking:

user posted image

I say it justifies DT's grouchiness in the queue.

^ That is modern art right there.

Haven't reviewed descriptions in a long time so I think I'll go busy myself with that. If I leave comments, my initials are GS. Used to be just "G" but I think someone else has that same signature.

Edited by glamoursea2

A collage of memorably bad descriptions encountered during an hour of description checking:

These are priceless. Thanks. That first one actually made me laugh. xd.png

user posted image

xd.png I gave up reviewing some time ago after reading a couple hundred of these types in very short order. blink.gif I keep thinking I'll start reviewing, and maybe even writing again...

I lol'd so hard at the picture...

Back from a short hiatus. Won't be around a lot due to papers, homework, novel to update, volunteer work, etc. (Laziness is the key issue. dry.gif )

I've been meaning to do some reviewing for weeks now. If I get some encouragement, I may just tackle what I can tomorrow. ;p

Post your favorite breed (just one per person!) and I'll try and hit those first.

We haven't quite hit 15k yet. Whoo-hoo, right? rolleyes.gif

I've been meaning to do some reviewing for weeks now. If I get some encouragement, I may just tackle what I can tomorrow. ;p

Post your favorite breed (just one per person!) and I'll try and hit those first.

Yay smile.gif

My favorites are Shadow Walkers. So pretty, but a couple years too late to get CBs D:

Arsanis. biggrin.gif

I don't actually have any descriptions in the backlog at the moment, but that's because my last batch took a year to get approved and that sort of wait is not good for my psyche, so I've decided not to contribute to the backlog any longer. user posted image (Also, I don't know if I'm allowed to use British English any more. That also factors in.)

I hope my abstinence helps a bit; though I was never a hugely prolific writer to begin with, so probably not. xd.png

Good luck with the queue! *hugs*

Seasonal, please! Spring, if you want just a variation. There are a couple of REALLY GREAT puns in the queue. C:

Spffff, umm....

Thunder dragons. I have like... one description for each breed 'cept magis, but Mathcat already suggested that.

WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT!

MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH!

Go socky! Uh huh! Oh yeah! Encourage! Wooooo! Sock! Yeaaah! Motivation! You can do it! Happy reviewing! WOW!

Edited by EmmaD333