TJ09

2014-01-12 - Holiday Raffle

Sorry, I was more thinking about us, as players, making allowances for people who seem unduly upset about being one of nearly all of us not winning, and why they might feel like that, since we have no idea of what's going on in their lives. smile.gif

Ohh, I see! That makes sense smile.gif

I've updated my profile with what I will do with my lil Shimmer if anyone is interested!

I tried to make things fair and that is what i've decided. c:

I like the way you did that - do you mind if I steal the format for making my list?

I won't be stealing your full plan method however (I've my own system)

it was a fair chance, just too slim. i agree that there should be more prizes given out. tbh there should be more HMs given out rather than only 30.

either that, or make the prize dragons have multi clutches. i know people have been talking about that and it would spread 2Gs faster so people wouldn't have to trade their soul for them.

Agreed. I love this multi-clutch idea that was being thrown around: up to four eggs for a CB; three for a 2nd gen; two for a 3rd and only one from there on. I thought that was a great idea.

The only problem with that is, it could potentially take up every spot on a user's scroll breeding commons for 1 egg. To the point where they are scroll-locked and can't breed or raise anything else. That doesn't seem inherently fair, either.

People don't have to make the offer if they don't find it agreeable. Personally I find raising a few commons on the side alongside my own interests isn't that much work for a really nice reward. I traded around 50 commons for a CB Gold once, and it was a very good deal IMO. ^^

Ohh, I see! That makes sense smile.gif

I must remember this moment, it's not all that often I do! xd.png

I am so hoping that, though, since TJ seemed to be possibly considering the multi-clutch thing, that he'll consider increasing the Prize breeding ratios as well, if possible, and that would make a lot of difference right there, if only that people would have more hope of a 2nd or 3rd gen brightening their lives and scrolls.

A lot of people like to gift, when we have anything we think might be welcome.

No win for me, oh well. Congrats to those who won! Maybe with some more around getting a 3rd gen or lower might be more attainable rolleyes.gif heeheee

The chances of getting a 2nd gen prize offspring is slim, winning is even slimmer. *Sigh* If only there was a way that at least one percent of the people who participated could win, and not a solid number.

This.

People don't have to make the offer if they don't find it agreeable. Personally I find raising a few commons on the side alongside my own interests isn't that much work for a really nice reward. I traded around 50 commons for a CB Gold once, and it was a very good deal IMO. ^^

I'm rather new here. So that sort of ratio.. 50 things for 1, just seems like way too much to me.

Maybe it's because these are my first few months here? But that doesn't seem right.

Especially when scrolls only have a max space of 21 slots, so idk how paying 50 commons for 1 egg would even work.

I like the way you did that - do you mind if I steal the format for making my list?

I won't be stealing your full plan method however (I've my own system)

Sure! That's totally fine! smile.gif

Thanks!

I'm rather new here. So that sort of ratio.. 50 things for 1, just seems like way too much to me.

Maybe it's because these are my first few months here? But that doesn't seem right.

Especially when scrolls only have a max space of 21 slots, so idk how paying 50 commons for 1 egg would even work.

It doesn't really take much time to know how the 50 things for 1 worked. It would have to work over weeks or a couple months worth of slowly giving the hatchies to the one egg.

Ex: Week 1: 10 hatchies transferred

Week 2: 20 hatchies transferred

week3: 30 hatchies transferred

Ect. Each Magi you have can transfer up to 4 dragons each and cooldown is very short. I believe ADP also said that they decided a small part of their scroll for the hatchie along side of the projects they were doing when they made that 50 hatchie trade. unsure.gif

IOUs is how paying 50 commons for an egg works. :v I personally find that price too high due to tedium, even for a low-gen prize, but a large number of commons in exchange for a rare is pretty reasonable.

People hype so greatly over CBs.

Usually the awesome lineages have been done. Silver shimmer with blue nebula looks awesome. Why would I prefer a CB silver shimmer, when I could have a 5th gen one where the lineage I'm interested in has already been started for me.

It doesn't really take much time to know how the 50 things for 1 worked. It would have to work over weeks or a couple months worth of slowly giving the hatchies to the one egg.

Ex: Week 1: 10 hatchies transferred

Week 2: 20 hatchies transferred

week3: 30 hatchies transferred

Ect. Each Magi you have can transfer up to 4 dragons each and cooldown is very short. I believe ADP also said that they decided a small part of their scroll for the hatchie along side of the projects they were doing when they made that 50 hatchie trade. unsure.gif

Yup indeed. I also traded nice things I bred for Magi hatchlings, so I had some of the work already done for me, haha. ^^

50:1 isn't a bad ratio when you're trading very common things for rare things, not at all. I can get commons whenever, but rares, not so much... so taking a while to pay for something good is good stuff. Think of it as slowly saving up money to buy something really nice. smile.gif

Yeah, I was lucky enough to be able to do that for my 4th gen Gold Shimmer. It was somewhere between 20 and 30 commons/uncommons (maybe more, I can't remember). A bunch of Reds, Pinks, Sunsongs etc. It's a little time consuming but definitely worth it.

Edited by Allspice

IOUs is how paying 50 commons for an egg works. :v I personally find that price too high due to tedium, even for a low-gen prize, but a large number of commons in exchange for a rare is pretty reasonable.

I wouldn't be terribly interested in someone holding those slots on my scroll for that long of a time, though. It might seem reasonable to you, but it doesn't to me, because I am playing the game for me, not for them.

Ah well, not a winner (again, boo hoo, woe is me) but I really enjoyed this event and the Christmas dragons this year were so pretty. I even managed to catch a single Holly so not a bust. tongue.gif

@Ashywolf: ...Because we want to make our own lineages and/or don't find the current ones to our tastes*? It's not that crazy a desire.

*why so many boring one-breed stairs

I wouldn't be terribly interested in someone holding those slots on my scroll for that long of a time, though. It might seem reasonable to you, but it doesn't to me, because I am playing the game for me, not for them.

But it's not like you're doing it for free; you get paid for your labor! You are paying them to get something you want smile.gif

But to each their own ^^

@Ashy: I really like making perfect checkers, so only shorter gens do me any good. Or even gen faux checkers, but those are pretty uncommon, too...

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

It is way too high. A "large" number varies. And tbh, if nothing nice I have on my scroll for breeding is of interest, then I'll settle for collecting for myself.

I mean no disrespect, but I'm not playing this game for another person. I'm trying to get my own scroll afloat.

And most of the time, it feels like my collection isn't worth very much. Which isn't fun.

Edited by mirjana

I did not win myself. However the chances were extremely low. I was so not concerned about winning the raffle. I forgot we were even waiting for the raffle draw. Honestly after the first couple of years, unless we are getting a new breed eh.... even then. Eventually it will be obtainable easily as they will be over-bred and widely distributed. No point in wasting my energy lamenting on not getting the new breed/lines. With some patience I'll eventually get it. I enjoyed pinning people with snowballs honestly. That was more fun than a CB dragon could ever give me.

Congrats to the winners, and remember people, its just a game. smile.gif

Edited by GoldenPhoenix

Yanno... people who complain it's not fair need to toughen up. Everyone who participated to reach the level needed to be entered all had an equal and fair chance to win.

Chances are if you were entered into a mega millions lottery that had thousands upon thousands of other people entered and only 3 people managed to win, you'd be crying foul there too - no matter how many tickets you may have purchased.

Yup indeed. I also traded nice things I bred for Magi hatchlings, so I had some of the work already done for me, haha. ^^

50:1 isn't a bad ratio when you're trading very common things for rare things, not at all. I can get commons whenever, but rares, not so much... so taking a while to pay for something good is good stuff. Think of it as slowly saving up money to buy something really nice. smile.gif

When trading hatchies for an egg, would that be a laid-away plan?

*hides*

I have to admit, though, that I think that is an awful lot, although I suspect that these amounts would be most likely originating from people offering the maximum they think they could come up with, to try to assure themselves on a spot on a list, rather than anything initially asked by a Prize owner.

Edit: just to mention, megamillions lotteries are designed to make huge monetary profits over prize amounts, depending on what is paid into them, so the odds of winning the big one are incredibly low.

Raffles typically have *donated* prizes designed to raise money for a specific cause, generally among a much smaller pool than millions of entries, so have much higher odds than megamillion lotteries.

So comparisons between megamillion lotteries and raffles are like comparing solid gold apples to regular oranges.

In this case, no money is involved, just a fun raffle among members of a group collecting virtual dragons, so prizes involving such dragons would logically be expected to have quite good odds.

Edited by Syphoneira

I agree with you. The way it works doesn't lend itself to fairness.

A thing which could (and should) be encouraged in a game.

And it seems like 2nd-3rd gens go for everything including your firstborn.

So yes, I an see why people are disappointed. I am disappointed as well.

HAHA! True story about the firstborn, best time to get 4gens is during the holidays and hatching out holiday eggs.

Congratz to all the winners! ^^;

Willing to give up my firstborn balloon for a second gen shimmer! ;P

Edited by sfate

It's probably different for someone who already has most of what they can get on their own (and by large I meant ~30). A few weeks of hatching eggs on the side in addition to my normal activities or ~10 days of concentrated hunting is hardly a huge impediment to me.

@WraithZephyr: They are allowed to think that the numbers are too low given that it has a history of having a massive negative impact on all players. Stop being rude about it.

It is way too high. A "large" number varies. And tbh, if nothing nice I have on my scroll for breeding is of interest, then I'll settle for collecting for myself.

I mean no disrespect, but I'm not playing this game for another person. I'm trying to get my own scroll afloat.

I think once you get all of the dragons you can easily get, it starts to seem like less of a big deal for the ones you can't. Though maybe even then, it might not. It's up to the individual player. smile.gif