TJ09

2014-01-12 - Holiday Raffle

I'm not sure I understand why people get so upset about this or say it isn't balanced or fair...does anyone ever play the lottery? Or enter raffles elsewhere? That 150 people were chosen is pretty good considering some raffles only draw 3 winners out of millions.....

It is pretty fair and balanced. That's the idea behind a raffle.

The thing is: We are supposed to collect dragons here. It's just sad that we have low chances of actually getting a low gen dragon in a game. Not everything needs to be as hard and sucky as real life. It's not fair in a way that so few people can have absolute control over the cave born of a breed and its lineages. I'm not butthurt over not winning or angry at TJ/the winners/DC, but I don't agree with the way the raffle works.

@SomeNobody

It's still something people want, it's normal to be sad over it honestly, let's not start with that when people are already upset :/

congrats to the winners~ I hope they enjoy their shiny babies <3 (and not get as stressed out over giving out offspring as I was with mine >>)

The thing is: We are supposed to collect dragons here. It's just sad that we have low chances of actually getting a low gen dragon in a game. Not everything needs to be as hard and sucky as real life. It's not fair in a way that so few people can have absolute control over the cave born of a breed and its lineages. I'm not butthurt over not winning or angry at TJ/the winners/DC, but I don't agree with the way the raffle works.

Yep. Exactly. I'm happy for the winners, but this raffle all in all is just... not good for DC, I think. It's a lottery, and I don't play those in real life. I really think a game shouldn't remind us of RL.

I'm not one of those who thinks everyone should win, but at least a lot more... tongue.gif

I'm not sure I understand why people get so upset about this or say it isn't balanced or fair...does anyone ever play the lottery? Or enter raffles elsewhere? That 150 people were chosen is pretty good considering some raffles only draw 3 winners out of millions.....

It is pretty fair and balanced. That's the idea behind a raffle.

It's like a spark in space biggrin.gif

Now leaving DC due to unfair/unbalanced raffle/trading.

I seriously don't think it's that serious.

If it was truly fair like you want, you likely still wouldn't win for a long time because all the older, very active members would be winning before it got to you.

Trading will always be that way. It's human nature, and the majority of our societies run on unbalanced exchange. Balanced exchange is when people ask EXACTLY for, and ONLY for what they need, despite the value of their own item that they will be giving away. Think. Where does that realistically happen in your society?

People want a profit. It's their right and only natural to want to get all the things they otherwise couldn't get. I don't blame them and I definitely don't shun them just for being winners.

If your issue is with the unbalanced trading community at large, just give yourself time. Work up the ladder. I've only been a member since March of last year( edit: 2012 - I lose track of time ), and though I don't consider myself a spring chicken, I definitely have some trading weight.

I fell instantly in love with Gold dragons not for their rarity, but their design - so I started off trading literally everything for messy Golds. Eventually I wound up with 5th Gens, EGs, lower gens, 3rd Gens, and now I have several CB pairs that I caught all in the same month. It's a mixture of trading, catching, and most of all, trying. Not giving up because the system caters to hundreds and hundreds, and as a result leaving out a few individuals.

You have to know who to ask, what to offer, and what to say. I don't see a trade as "That's something I need!" but rather as "You have something I'd like to have, and I'm curious to see if I've got something you'd like to have" so that the person trading with me feels like an actual person/not just a trade opportunity.

When someone wants something specifically and you don't have it, just forget it. Don't see it as "Ugh, the trade system is corrupt." because then you'll completely overlook all the trades you HAVE gotten. I just see it as "they want something I don't have - I'll keep looking until I find someone who has something I can reach." which is how I have multiple 3rd Gen Shimmers - I just comb the trades for 3rd Gens and skip the ones that ask for something I cannot provide.

Because the truth is, when someone asks for something that no one has, they often feel the pressure, too. Their egg or hatchling is about to hatch or mature, and they can't find what they need. Think about that.

So, in closing:

A)

"My experience with suggestions is that they never get accepted."
- That's not necessarily the case. Didn't someone request more releases? That's a very old suggestion that so many people have asked for; using the fact that we have so many completed dragons as an argument. We have them every month, now.

cool.gif

"Not having the crazy prize trade values would kind of require a lot of CB prize owners to actually change.And yes,I know that they can do what they want with them."
- Either that, or earn yourself more trading weight. It's slow, though. and requires some patience.

C)

"I have a really bad headache which I've randomly got."
- Take a nap. Works just as well as Tylenol. Edited by Momo

It is really great that some of the winners wrote here in this Thread thank you for letting us know who is one of the lucky ones. smile.gif

I still hope that TJ will change the raffle one day and every user will get an prize dragon just a normal/common colour for the non winners and the prize colours for ones who won with custom code, it is still something special for those who won, but the others are not sad because they got something too, it is the best solution in my opinion.

I so agree with you...

@SomeNobody

It's still something people want, it's normal to be sad over it honestly, let's not start with that when people are already upset :/

I think their main point was the level of frustration some people express, and not being disappointed about loosing in General.

I mean loosing a raffle is never fun (and yes I would love a CB Prize or even a Gen 2) but the amount of frustration displayed over a few pixels is really frightening. Doing an anonymized Raffle is probably the fairest way to ensure those prizes get distributed purely via chance and not some building of groups.

I mean what way can you imagine to make a raffle any more fair for everyone than drawing random numbers out of a pot of tickets?

Personally I would have liked to see a consolation prize for people who participated and did not win (as has been suggested in the suggestion area), so that everyone gets even a tiny something.

Having said as much: Grats to the winners smile.gif

I still hope that TJ will change the raffle one day and every user will get an prize dragon just a normal/common colour for the non winners and the prize colours for ones who won with custom code, it is still something special for those who won, but the others are not sad because they got something too, it is the best solution in my opinion.

But...we already all get the gorgeous new Christmas dragon. Two apiece!

And another year of resentment and irritation from me.

Thanks, TJ. Great job.

But...we already all get the gorgeous new Christmas dragon. Two apiece!

True! I'm already excited to breed mine. Lovely lineages, here I come! xd.png

The only tweak that I would make MAYBE to ensure that more people have a chance at a raffle drawn price would be to lock previous winners from winning the same CB type twice.

The only tweak that I would make MAYBE to ensure that more people have a chance at a raffle drawn price would be to lock previous winners from winning the same CB type twice.

That could be interesting, even if it was just blocking a previous year winner from winning(the very next year), perhaps. I mean, realistically, what the odds of someone winning twice, but apparently someone did, lmao! They must be so shocked. xd.png

Edited by Momo

I think their main point was the level of frustration some people express, and not being disappointed about loosing in General.

I mean loosing a raffle is never fun (and yes I would love a CB Prize or even a Gen 2) but the amount of frustration displayed over a few pixels is really frightening. Doing an anonymized Raffle is probably the fairest way to ensure those prizes get distributed purely via chance and not some building of groups.

I mean what way can you imagine to make a raffle any more fair for everyone than drawing random numbers out of a pot of tickets?

Personally I would have liked to see a consolation prize for people who participated and did not win (as has been suggested in the suggestion area), so that everyone gets even a tiny something.

Having said as much: Grats to the winners smile.gif

I understand that, but if it's something people really wanted and depending on the mental state of the person, anything can make them go over the edge.

Like I said, the way the raffle works internally is fair: the decision method is fair. I just don't agree with the amount of raffles and winners per year

I won this year...So excited biggrin.gif Shimmers are gorgeous, and now one will be mine.

Good luck!

I sorta agree with this. I'm the owner of a CB shimmer, and as much as I would like another, I'd want other people to have more of a chance getting one.

Right. That would be good.

If I would win a 2nd cb gold Tinsel (not that this is goin to happen) I would gift it to the Take an eg-Leave an egg thread, but I think many persons would keep it, what's not really okay, to my opinion.

That could be interesting, even if it was just blocking a previous year winner from winning(the very next year), perhaps. I mean, realistically, what the odds of someone winning twice, but apparently someone did, lmao! They must be so shocked. xd.png

Lol wow really? That person must have some seriously good luck!! biggrin.gif

That's not the way to go. Instead of quitting, you should fight for what is fair and defend your position in the suggestions forum, else things will just remain the same

Let them go. One less for the next raffle...  Yes, I'm evil.

That just made my day. biggrin.gif

I think it's completely understandable that people get sad and/or disapointed for not winning. Let's just not become plain bitter... wink.gif

Congrats to the winners!

I won this year...So excited biggrin.gif Shimmers are gorgeous, and now one will be mine.

Congrats smile.gif

Also congrats to all the other winners.

SUPER congrats!!! happy.gif

From what I understood a few pages ago, they didn't win twice...? They now have two prizes, but the first one wasn't really from winning - maybe a trade?

edit: wouldn't it be better not to quote the winners? Just in case they regret the post? Dx but congrats to all winners so far!

Edited by LaHaine

Yes I believe someone won a tinsel and shimmer if recall correctly.