Amazon_warrior

CB Prizes: A User Guide

Is there a CB Prize owner who has experience with lists who I can PM? I would love some advice and feedback on my current system. I know it's ultimately up to me, but I don't want to overcharge/undercharge or make breeding more difficult than necessary for myself. I'm hoping to get everything sorted out before I open my 2G Tinsel list again.

7 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Is there a CB Prize owner who has experience with lists who I can PM? I would love some advice and feedback on my current system. I know it's ultimately up to me, but I don't want to overcharge/undercharge or make breeding more difficult than necessary for myself. I'm hoping to get everything sorted out before I open my 2G Tinsel list again.

I think the most important thing is to breed bi-weekly with each mate. Basically, swap mates each week to avoid the dreaded "no interest" streak - pairs can grow tired of each other.

This stems from a remark TJ made years ago (before 2014, I think) that breeding a given pair religously every week would lower the chances of them breeding at all. I don't remember the exact wording, but it can probably be found somewhere in the Thuwed thread.

(I don't own a Prize, but I used to have a list for one of my dragons for a couple of years)

8 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

I practically reached scroll goals, so I now breed my CB Prize for free. I keep a list on my profile that has three slots. It's first come first serve, and whenever I succeed in breeding an egg to fulfill an IOU, one slot opens up and the first one who PMs me gets it. When all three slots are full, the list is closed and I don't accept any requests anymore.

I really wouldn't want to keep a longer list as it sometimes can take weeks to breed a certain egg. Just now I had an IOU for Bronze Shimmer x Whiptail, and of course had weeks of Whiptails before the pair spat out a Shimmer. (I'm actually suprised it only took about two months.)

11 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Feel free to PM me! I usually keep a single list of a few IOUs (both kin and prize, since breeding for either means a week of cooldown). I generally rotate IOUs, plus one breeding week for myself. When I first started keeping an IOU list, I didn't reserve a slot for my own projects/immediate trading, and it made me especially antsy when a pair was being stubborn. 

Bump for the new winners, of which I am not one :P.

Soooo... I won a CB Bronze Tinsel this year, bred myself a 2nd gen with my favourite dragon, traded 2 of them... now what? XD

13 minutes ago, camelia2 said:

Soooo... I won a CB Bronze Tinsel this year, bred myself a 2nd gen with my favourite dragon, traded 2 of them... now what? XD

Whatever you want.  Keep trading, gift some, keep some

The first post is sorta outdated with the christmas raffles gone so maybe a new guide should be made. Or this one updated. Like maybe add new monthly raffle question answers or a list of people to contact for advice or what to do + not to do or breeding ideas. I was hoping to get some info here but the op doesn't really help anymore?? Like really bad harassment and waiting for tj to hand out eggs doesn't happen now

Edited by Cylt

5 hours ago, Cylt said:

The first post is sorta outdated with the christmas raffles gone so maybe a new guide should be made. Or this one updated. Like maybe add new monthly raffle question answers or a list of people to contact for advice or what to do + not to do or breeding ideas. I was hoping to get some info here but the op doesn't really help anymore?? Like really bad harassment and waiting for tj to hand out eggs doesn't happen now

Amazon is still active as far as I know even if this thread isn’t. I haven’t had my cb prize as long as some on here have as I won last year. For any new winners who need advice my inbox is always open to help out anyway I can. 

8 hours ago, Cylt said:

Whether good or bad, things aren't what they have always been. As for what to do + not to do -- that's up to you. You probably own other prizes that have longer lineages and know exactly how they breed, you probably know from your longer gen prizes that you should never pair an ultra common dragon and a rare dragon and expect rare eggs any time this year (so the best options for impatient people who just want shinies are x Holiday, x rare (like metal, trio)) and that on a holiday it's usually a good idea to breed your prize x a cb holiday for a 2g holiday with prize ancestry. You probably know already that being in debt to 30+ people for the future offspring of your dragon is not a good idea especially if they are requesting a rare from an ultra common dragon. You probably already know the difference between IOUs (you being in debt to people who have already paid their half essentially) and regular trades (you trading offspring you have currently rather than the promise of future ones). You probably know that it's good to tell people when it's their turn so you don't breed an egg for someone that has dropped off the face of the planet.

Edited by DarkEternity

I think the advice you want and/or need is kinda dependent on a few things. What is your current status as a player in this game (new, growing, established but still actively hunting various things to add to scroll, older and probably not as active in hunting down things or more selective or may not even care anymore, you play for other reasons), and what is it you want to accomplish. Getting Spriter's Alt Lines, 2G Babies from Super Rare Dragon (Like Spriters Alts, HMs, etc), CB Gold, Silver, NDs, special lineages, grow your armies of XX dragon, get CBs of certain dragon types to collect them all, etc. 

I have to echo that I wouldn't start doing IOUs from the start until you get a feel of how your dragons breed. Breed your dragons (I have to agree with the 2 week cool down between breedings and ABRM  - Always Be Rotating Mates), and when you get a Prize, go trade it for something you want, and have an idea of what that is in advance. There is nothing wrong with preferring mates that are Rare/Uncommon/Holidays. I stick with this almost religiously. On a lark I wanted to donate a 2G Prizekin to a raffle so I bred mine to an Undine, (because if it alt'ed it would turn Gold/Yellow and that would be a cool match to my Prize, still pretty if not), and it bred a 2G Prize egg instead. That is the extent of my attempts to breed non rares etc. to mine. I don't want to trade, I don't want lists, even for people I luff to the heavens, because I don't psychologically handle it well. I would quit the game. You are probably not quite that extreme and may be able to handle a small/medium list. Get your feet wet first before you decide what you can and can't handle because even if you know yourself really well, unless you are already pro at this cuz you do this all the time from trading for other stuff prior, you don't know until you actually do it.

I gift mine out in Player Run Raffles, generally, and have a great time with this, as this is why I play this game is that I love and want to support player events. Having won a prize dragon has allowed me to just support that in an additional way. And I think that is super awesome. That is literally about the extent of my care. Cuz when it comes to getting CB rares and the like, you can earn shards to get those, you can trade for them on an ad-hoc basis as your dragon normally breeds, and some of them, like creating NDs or hard to catch ones, you need to ask yourself if the time and effort to breed the requested dragon is worth acquiring that dragon(s). Cuz depending on the mate they are asking for, it could be months. For some dragons, yes that is going to be worth it. For some dragons, those months of breeding, if it is a real pain for you to manage, maybe you could have learned tips and tricks and practiced yourself and learned how to do it for yourself. Just keep that balance in mind. And really sit and think on what you want your healthy boundaries and restrictions to be, and make that very clear, and anyone who violates them, don't work with them, and report them if they continue to bother you. Make it VERY clear in your Profile and/or Sig and/or Linked Info. Don't leave any room for doubt. Because while harassment isn't NEARLY as big of an issue as it used to be (I really appreciate the raffle being monthly and even expanding some recently to allow for more winners so that we have enough supply for the demand), sometimes there are people who will try anything they can to take advantage of people. Start from a firm strong point and stand your ground. You can always loosen up what you will or won't accept if you want to in time and that works out for you. 

Other than holiday mates, is there any particular reason someone would want their prize to be male or female?

I based my choice to be Male because there are far more female Gold Tinsels than Male ones. So I considered the Player base demands too. Regardless he would've been Male based on the timing due to a long complicated inside joke with my other half.

1 hour ago, sidmar said:

Other than holiday mates, is there any particular reason someone would want their prize to be male or female?

I influenced my Tinsel female because I prefer the male sprites for a lot of my favorite regular breeds. I influenced my Shimmer male because I already had a female Prize. I've heard of other owners just letting their Prizes gender randomly if you're into surprises.

35 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I influenced my Tinsel female because I prefer the male sprites for a lot of my favorite regular breeds. I influenced my Shimmer male because I already had a female Prize. I've heard of other owners just letting their Prizes gender randomly if you're into surprises.

I did the exact same thing! When I won my gold shimmer I influenced her female because I like a lot of male dragons, and when I won my bronze shimmer I influenced him male so I'd have one of each ❤️

I influenced my silver tinsel male solely on his code. 

7 hours ago, sidmar said:

If you prefer the mate to be a particular sprite. For example, you might prefer a particular mate gender's sprite over the other, so if you like, say, male blusangs, influence your prize female. If you have multiple CB prizes, influence them opposite genders to breed them together

6 hours ago, DarkEternity said:

If you prefer the mate to be a particular sprite. For example, you might prefer a particular mate gender's sprite over the other, so if you like, say, male blusangs, influence your prize female. If you have multiple CB prizes, influence them opposite genders to breed them together

Yeah I thought it might come down to dimorphism, I'll have to look if there's any M/F sprites I prefer.

Also iirc since CB prizes have Location: cave, they'll always produce coppers the colour of their mate.

6 hours ago, sidmar said:

Also iirc since CB prizes have Location: cave, they'll always produce coppers the colour of their mate.

Yep, Coppers are consistent. Xenos are still random. 

Hey @bonvoyage, how is your luck with breeding PBs? One CB Prize can be pretty stubborn so I'm curious about how annoying a pair might be.

1 hour ago, The Dragoness said:

Hey @bonvoyage, how is your luck with breeding PBs? One CB Prize can be pretty stubborn so I'm curious about how annoying a pair might be.

I'm not them, but I got a PB Prize in one try.

10 hours ago, Commander Wymsy said:

I'm not them, but I got a PB Prize in one try.

Really? I expected it to be more difficult than that. Gifting them should be pretty easy then!

Edited by The Dragoness

8 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

I'm really glad coppers are consistent, I'm doing a checker with gold shimmers and green coppers ❤️

And I've only bred my two together twice, but both times they gave a shiny first try, so I think it's a lot easier than normal pairings. Although it might be a lot harder if you're trying for one specific colour.

Em...hello.

I am a new prize winner. 🏆

So hello to all my fellow winners.

Poking here looking for the experiences of others with such pretties. 

Edited by JavaTigress

18 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

Em...hello.

I am a new prize winner. 🏆

So hello to all my fellow winners.

Poking here looking for the experiences of others with such pretties. 

Congrats! What kind of information are you looking for?

The biggest thing I stress to new winners is to be careful with lists. It's very easy to end up with too many IOUs that will make breeding for yourself impossible. I actually just finished up an IOU from October 2018. Don't bite off more than you can chew--limit yourself to 2 or 3 people if you really want to do a list. Rotating mates might also help you get a shiny faster.