Amazon_warrior

CB Prizes: A User Guide

1 minute ago, The Dragoness said:

Congrats! What kind of information are you looking for?

The biggest thing I stress to new winners is to be careful with lists. It's very easy to end up with too many IOUs that will make breeding for yourself impossible. I actually just finished up an IOU from October 2018. Don't bite off more than you can chew--limit yourself to 2 or 3 people if you really want to do a list. Rotating mates might also help you get a shiny faster. 

:) That is the sort of general info I am looking for. Just...general stuff like that.

I think you need to decide and/or admit and/or share (either with yourself or posted here or with another CB owner in PMs) what are your current and/or near future DC game goals/accomplishments. Are there specific types of dragons you want? Rares you really want and/or lineages to collect and/or build? Build armies? Help others? Donate to Raffles and/or Prizes? Add specific dragons to your scroll and if so how many and for how long? As you have over 1K dragons, I don't know where you are in your collecting scroll, ambitions and what ambitions in you still have in this game vs. real life. Because owning a Prize Dragon and Keeping an IOU list and actively trading takes time. I don't know how much irl time and interest and investment you have to give to this game at this time. If you are super active you can do all sorts of things. If you have less, then you really need to put very firm boundaries on what you are willing to do or not do. And you need to be realistic on your energy and time vs. what you hope to gain.

For example, from when I have had more time and to when I've had less time, I've never kept IOU lists. If I agreed to gift someone something, or for whatever reason, it was one person at a time, or maybe telling someone they could get something, but it would be at a future time of my choosing. Almost all of my gifts have been gifts to people I've known for awhile for various reasons and/or gifts to Player Events that were Raffles, Giveaways, etc. If I had won a prize maybe 4-5 years ago, I'd have been more ambitious with my trading and/or things I wanted. With less real life time and as I get older, and just me as myself personally, I just never needed like 10 Rares of each type of dragon or such. I'm good with a few rares of each. The trading market is also fun with that especially since there just isn't much I am actively seeking these days. I've bought a few of the dragons I wanted off the market if I couldn't get myself from Xenos to Gold to Maybe Silver or soon to Rift Wyrms to Purple Florets, etc.

There are also lots of prize owners who like to swap babies not only to swap and have 2G's, but also build out checker lineages. If you are interested in that, especially with Holidays coming up, Pick your fave Holiday combo and maybe swap 2G PrizeHoliday babies.

I really have firm limits on what I do on DC these days, as I just don't have as much time for digital online stuff much less things outside of real life. But even if I did, the one thing you have to do is pick a few specific goals, order them importance, and be really strict on your limits. Don't make large IOU lists, don't try to trade or get too much at once, and you need to really dig down deep about what makes you happiest and what you really truly want in your game experience vs. OOO RANDOM SHINY. If it doesn't invoke joy, it isn't really worth the payoff of time. You can always shift objectives and change your mind and expand yourself on your limits if you are balancing it well. Just start off very simple.

And you do you, don't let other people influence you. I know plenty of Prize owners who like to be open to requests, but just as many who only breed what they breed and then trade when they have bred something and never take requests, and just as many who mostly Giveaway and or Donate to People for fun, or do that in between Trading and Gifting on a List or their friends and/or other Prize Owner Swaps or whatever. And if someone random starts begging or asking for stuff, just tell them No and Block them. If it happens again report them. End of story. Like I mean I wouldn't do that to people I know super well, but I might tell them No, don't ask again, or maybe in the future, ask again in 6 months, or just I'm too busy with IRL and I'm donating them all to Raffles. There is like less than a few fingers worth of people or random moments I'm like Sure I'll breed for you why not you are awesome. Or offered to someone. Not unless there was a very specific reason for them being just beyond awesome for years on end since I've been playing. 

6 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

Poking here looking for the experiences of others with such pretties.

Congrats!

As I was among the winners of one of the original Prizes in 2011, I did about all the mistakes one could make - among them telling people I'd just gift shinies. You absolutely need to learn to say "no". I ended up with a list of almost 40 people, and of course Cayvyn decided to be stubborn. I felt under so much pressure that I finally succumbed to a nervous breakdown and completely disappeared from DC for around a year or so. Fortunately my list was a pure "gift lift" and no IOUs, so I decided to wipe it clean when I returned, and now I only do trades and only when people ask nicely.

Another word of advice: Never ever get involved in an IOU with new releases or very common breeds. Look at the offspring of Cayvyn with Costa and then guess how long it took me to fulfil the deal:  https://dragcave.net/progeny/04MNk

Other than that - have fun and don't let anyone nag you or pressure you!

Edited by Astreya

So far I haven't have anyone come asking me for freebies from my own Prize -- might be because of what I said in my profile description. Which is a really good thing, as he's incredibly stubborn when it comes to giving me Prize eggs. One time I even considered killing him for being so useless. :dry:

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

Congrats!

As I was among the winners of one of the original Prizes in 2011, I did about all the mistakes one could make - among them telling people I'd just gift shinies. You absolutely need to learn to say "no". I ended up with a list of almost 40 people, and of course Cayvyn decided to be stubborn. I felt under so much pressure that I finally succumbed to a nervous breakdown and completely disappeared from DC for around a year or so. Fortunately my list was a pure "gift lift" and no IOUs, so I decided to wipe it clean when I returned, and now I only do trades and only when people ask nicely.

Another word of advice: Never ever get involved in an IOU with new releases or very common breeds. Look at the offspring of Cayvyn with Costa and then guess how long it took me to fulfil the deal:  https://dragcave.net/progeny/04MNk

Other than that - have fun and don't let anyone nag you or pressure you!

Thanks for all the pointers. I sort of have already promised her first two eggs. One to someone for a trade for an ND and another  Because I wanted togift them.... but I think I may hold off on making any FURTHER promises. :) Not get myself into any FURTHER debt , for now. XD After ALL... I think I'd SORT of like to have an eg or two for myself, as well. :) 

Edited by JavaTigress

Yes, best not to make a list.  I have seen so many cb prize owners make a huge list, and end up quitting, like Astreya did.  And even the most prolific prize breeders only breed 8 to 12 shinies a year, unless they are bred to holidays.  

My suggestion would be to (after doing the two you promised) breed yourself some nice 2gs,  Then you can have them to try and breed 3gs for trade.  Save making IOU's of 2gs for something really special, and do it one person at a time, so you don't stress out.

1 hour ago, 49ER said:

Yes, best not to make a list.  I have seen so many cb prize owners make a huge list, and end up quitting, like Astreya did.  And even the most prolific prize breeders only breed 8 to 12 shinies a year, unless they are bred to holidays.  

My suggestion would be to (after doing the two you promised) breed yourself some nice 2gs,  Then you can have them to try and breed 3gs for trade.  Save making IOU's of 2gs for something really special, and do it one person at a time, so you don't stress out.

Well, the IOU I did was for a Neglected so... pretty special, I'd say. 

But yes, I think that is exactly what I will do.

Edited by JavaTigress

Oh yes, a Neglected is special!  And the best way to get one in trade is to be able to breed a 2g prize.  Congratulations on your big win!

This thread has been so very helpful. I'm new to the game (Joined Dec 26th) and I got a Silver Tinsel prize. After reading this thread I think I'm going to breed a 2nd gen or 2 for myself first before trying to do any trades. Also after some advice I was given got me thinking, I'm going to wait until I have a female pink to influence before claiming my prize.

^ Let us know if you want/need help getting that Pink.

Congrats to all new winners reading this thread. There's some good advice in here.

Well, I also won in this month's raffle, and although I am an old player, all advice is welcome. Thanks for a great thread.

I do not intend to do lists, but to trade/gift as I get progeny, be it shinies or fails. I do have one or two shinies "reserved" for a couple people, though (and they don't know it, bwahaha)

Happy New Year! :D

My inbox is always open to new prize owners who need advice. Congrats to all of you!  

I was one of the lucky raffle winners and won a Western. I’d really like some guidance as to what to do in terms of lineage and as to what I should influence it as. There’s a lineage from another dragon I’d like to mate it with (out of respect for said dragons deceased lineage), but I’d also like to mate it and create a 2nd gen. If anyone has useful tips and guidance, you’re more than welcome to PM me :) 

1 hour ago, jostensminyard said:

I was one of the lucky raffle winners and won a Western. I’d really like some guidance as to what to do in terms of lineage and as to what I should influence it as. There’s a lineage from another dragon I’d like to mate it with (out of respect for said dragons deceased lineage), but I’d also like to mate it and create a 2nd gen. If anyone has useful tips and guidance, you’re more than welcome to PM me :) 

What color is your shiny? I influenced my Silver Tinsel female because I preferred the male sprites of my favorite breeds (Black Teas, Monarchs, Sunrises, etc.) and like the male Christmas/Val breeds more. 

As for tips, just don't get yourself in over your head. It's easy to start a list and think that it will be easy until suddenly your Prize decides to stop producing shiny eggs. My Silver Tin once went 3 months without giving me Tinsel eggs--even when I bred her to holidays. I recommend trading eggs as you get them for whatever things you may still need. If you still want to try a list, limit yourself to only 2 or 3 people and allow yourself some personal breeding attempts.

Rotating mates can sometimes make getting a Prize egg faster. I give each person 3 attempts before asking them to pick a different breed. Zyus, commons, and breeds that have been in-cave for less than a year will be difficult to work with.

Be careful with IOUs. This goes back to keeping a list, but always make sure the person you're sending the egg to is 1) still active and 2) won't run off with it without paying you. I've had people pull a disappearing act before after several weeks of breeding and it isn't pleasant. That's part of why I only offer 2G Prize IOUs to people who can offer me really rare things like 2G SAs. There will always be trades available for CB Metals. 

If you need any more tips from a fellow Western winner, my inbox is open! I have quite a bit of experience with owning CB Prizes so I should be able to help :)

After playing for 10 years I’ve won a silver shimmer. Stunned us an understatement! 

In the “old” days having a prize was a fast ticket to anything you wanted on the site. Now, I doubt that is the case. Plus I’ve been playing so long I don’t really need anything anymore.... I’d love more SA babies but doubt I’m unique there, LOL!! The only thing I’d like is a neglected, as I’ve never managed to make one myself, despite trying. Is it still possible to trade for one? 

Other than that I plan to make lineages and gift/ trade as I see fit. I really want to get some 2nd gens to people who are like me- long term players who only had second gens through huuuuge long trades or someone’s incredible kindness. 

I was considering tying my CB shimmerscale into my Verseweavers lineage project. There would definitely be some qualifications before I would let someone ask for an egg from her, perhaps based on the number of individuals from the main line they've taken and described. The main challenge of the Verseweavers lineage is that all individuals must have a description in verse, which has so far done an impressive job dissuading participants. 

Would the potential 2g shimmer help rouse potential members to join? Or would it mostly lure users who would try to hit the target, get an egg, then stop caring and breed the more common Verseweaver dragons willy-nilly and ruin my project?

I'm still pretty stunned at having won a Silver Tinsel in the most recent raffle. I wanted to keep it quiet for a bit, but I like having my scroll linked and my scroll name visible on my dragons, so I figured it would become public knowledge anyway.

After considering a lot of the available sprites, I was feeling pretty sure I wanted to influence him male to pair with all the lovely female sprites, and since a Precog confirmed he would "naturally" be male anyway, I've decided to leave him that way. I've got some names on hold and I'm pretty sure I know which one I want to go with when he finally hatches.

My question is, since raffles are a more regular thing now and we do have a lot more prize winners, do you still find it necessary to include a note in your signature or bio to prevent people from requesting eggs?

I don't have any comment in my profile about this. I found people are sufficiently polite not to beg nowadays, and I guess there are sufficient trades available in the trading hub. People who want to trade 2Gs from their prizes for particular things (like "collect X hatchies of breed Y for a 2G" or "only blood swaps" or "don't contact me ever about a prize kid", "if you want to have a prize kid you have to do this or that") etc usually write it into their profiles, but IMO this is just a matter of taste and not really necessary.

Oh, I totally forgot - congrats for getting your Tinsel :D

Edited by Astreya

Thank you! :D

That's what I thought! I haven't noticed many signatures with "don't contact" or other "rules" regarding requesting 2Gs lately, even within this thread, so I suspected it wasn't as much of an issue anymore. :)

I'm one of the original 2010 tree decorating contest winners (silver tinsel - Patxaran) and I used to just gift away 2nd gen prize eggs to whoever wanted them.  I also liked surprising random people in the forums with 2nd gen prize eggs.  Was never a big deal to me.  I never posted or announced anywhere that I was one of the winners.  Sort of spread informally by word of mouth after gifting enough people.

I'm hardly ever on the forums anymore and aside from collecting waters and any new releases I'm not active enough as to keep breeding lists open.

I won a silver shimmer in the july raffle (squeeeee! my first prize! 😍). I see that it says the egg is protected from sickness, but what about after it hatches? is it still protected until it grows up or is it like the ward function of the white dragons, will it wear off sometime after hatching?

Thanks in advance 

@cymry

Congrats! IIRC the Raffle Prizes are protected until they grow up - but they are pretty sturdy anyway. I never had any prize of any generation die on me even when we didn't have the Ward BSA yet even though they are getting sick pretty fast before hatching all the time.

@Astreya Thank you for the congrats and the reply! She didnt get sick til she hit the ER stage, but i know with some breeds sickness can take many hours of languishing in fog until it goes away, and i dont want my first prize killed by too many views!

Edited by cymry

@cymry

Ah, you'll have a girl. Nice :) I guess if you want to be 100 percent assured, just wait until she's at 3d23h, ward her, hatch her and then immediately hide her, then you are on the safe side.

She just hatched, I tried to ward her but couldn't, said she was already protected.