LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

1 - Blanket event much like the resurrection thing - only one try per frozen hatchling at any time of the year - and only that one time (no waiting until after the Spring Thaw for another "standard chance at un-freezing)

AND

2 - During a Spring Thaw, then the Random Number Gods will play havok and allow any hatchling to be unfrozen, if the Random Number Gods are kind (1 for a spin and 2 for the actual action)

(Emphasis mine)

No support. I do not want to try to unfreeze whatever dragon it is that I've been waiting to unfreeze. I want to unfreeze it.

There is no trying associated with freezing -- you just do it. So I can see no reason why there should be a "challenge" associated with unfreezing. And even if there should be, RNG certainly is not challenge. It's just pure dumb luck, and all too often, it's bad, which helps no one.

If it's done as a once a year event, whatever. I see no reason it should need to be, but I'm not against it. Just as long as it's not some "hope for the best or you're screwed anyhow!" thing.

If it's done as a once a year event, whatever. I see no reason it should need to be, but I'm not against it. Just as long as it's not some "hope for the best or you're screwed anyhow!" thing.

Yes. I agree. I honestly don't care much how *long* we have to wait, but I'm not going to wait a whole year and then "try". Come on now.

It's that time again... Can we have a surprise Christmas present this year, TJ? Please, please, pretty please?

Support, definitely. I'm one of the ones who falls into the "froze CB holiday dragons and now wants the CB adults and freeze bred hatchlings" category.

I imagine I am probably necro-ing an old thread, but I think that those of us who froze CB holidays under the impression that we would only ever be able to have two individuals should have the option to unfreeze now that those conditions have changed. I will only ever have one CB alt sweetling, because I froze the other. At the time, I understood that I would only ever be allowed to have two individuals, so I froze the one because I liked the hatchling sprite.

Since that condition has been changed (no limit on holidays after the initial release period) I am feeling a little slighted and cheated out of my second CB. Nowadays, everyone knows that 1st year = grab two eggs, let them grow up into adults and 2nd year+ = grab as many messies as you want and freeze them for hatchie sprites. If there had been any indication that the conditions would have changed, I would have never frozen my little guy.

If this [unfreezing] is allowed, it should ONLY be for CB holiday hatchies from before the change, and they should insta-grow once unfrozen (that way they cannot be traded, nor do they take up a hatchie slot) Additionally, a check-box or something acknowledging that "unfreezing is permanent, it will not be reversed under any circumstances, blah blah blah" would help prevent any people who might have buyers remorse.

I imagine I am probably necro-ing an old thread, but I think that those of us who froze CB holidays under the impression that we would only ever be able to have two individuals should have the option to unfreeze now that those conditions have changed. I will only ever have one CB alt sweetling, because I froze the other. At the time, I understood that I would only ever be allowed to have two individuals, so I froze the one because I liked the hatchling sprite.

Since that condition has been changed (no limit on holidays after the initial release period) I am feeling a little slighted and cheated out of my second CB. Nowadays, everyone knows that 1st year = grab two eggs, let them grow up into adults and 2nd year+ = grab as many messies as you want and freeze them for hatchie sprites. If there had been any indication that the conditions would have changed, I would have never frozen my little guy.

If this [unfreezing] is allowed, it should ONLY be for CB holiday hatchies from before the change, and they should insta-grow once unfrozen (that way they cannot be traded, nor do they take up a hatchie slot) Additionally, a check-box or something acknowledging that "unfreezing is permanent, it will not be reversed under any circumstances, blah blah blah" would help prevent any people who might have buyers remorse.

It can't just apply to Holidays. It's been discussed before; it won't get implemented without applying to all frozens.

And yes, it should instantly grow up.

Honestly, even if TJ hadn't said it would need to be all or nothing in terms of application, I'd be in favor of it applying broadly.

After all, mistakes happen. Or the game could change in a way down the road that makes you regret something you've frozen, just like the change in holiday limitations have.

Support, definitely. I'm one of the ones who falls into the "froze CB holiday dragons and now wants the CB adults and freeze bred hatchlings" category.

I have a frozen CB Rosebud, because I loved the sprite, and thought I would never be able to get another. I'd like to have the option of unfreezing it, so I can bred it to continue some holiday lineages I grabbed this year. It would be the only thing I would unfreeze, since it was the first time I froze a CB Holiday. I was torn when I had to choose between letting it grow up, or keeping it a hatchling. Both sprites are beautiful, in my eyes, and I wanted one of each. At the time I was OK with freezing her, because we couldn't have anymore. But now that the limits have been lifted, I want to let her grow up.

Gunna do a Necro Bump because I am still waiting to see an official response about the unfreezing option or the ability to do so with Holidays.

As stated countless times before, back in the day when people were allowed only TWO of each Christmas and Valentine dragon, some user were torn by the fact that, well, how does one keep a hatchling sprite collection full if you only have two of those dragons? Obviously you freeze one, because you only can have two, and were told you would ever only be allowed two.

Well, eventually that rule/limit/whatever was lifted, and people were allowed to get multiples of the Christmas Dragons in the years that followed the initial release.

Yet, what about those who have CBs that they froze under the current placement of limits where we could only have two? Seems hardly fair, considering it was changed on us older users. I would just like to have my CB Holidays unfrozen. Every year around the holidays it drives me nuts realizing I am kinda being punished for making a choice to keep a collection and keep Sprites I thought I would never see again.

I guess the problem I have is that: I was told I could make a choice that was permanent (yes, I understand that), in a game that at the time had no intent to change. Therefore, the choice was made given the limited options. Thus, now that the options and game has changed, should I not be given a chance to modify my choice? Because there is no fairness in having it changed suddenly like that?

I fail to see the issue in allowing it. No one gets an upper hand unless you like breeding projects, which you could barley consider any kind of "upper hand" in the first place. So I basically am wondering now.

Why has nothing been said or done? This debate has gone on for SO LONG, I guess I'd just like an answer rather than being left to sit here for years wondering what the heck is gunna come of this suggestion. Sadface.

Edited by Lyxii

Gunna do a Necro Bump because I am still waiting to see an official response about the unfreezing option or the ability to do so with Holidays.

Sorry, but I'm a leetle confused about the bolded because, as the first post lists, basically the entire reason this thread came to exist is because TJ said "no, I don't see why I should make an exception to freezing being permanent just for holidays". So we have received an answer there: it's not going to happen just for holidays. We still haven't received an answer for unfeeze just in general, but the second part of your question has been answered, albeit back in 2013. ^^

Sorry, but I'm a leetle confused about the bolded because, as the first post lists, basically the entire reason this thread came to exist is because TJ said "no, I don't see why I should make an exception to freezing being permanent just for holidays". So we have received an answer there: it's not going to happen just for holidays. We still haven't received an answer for unfeeze just in general, but the second part of your question has been answered, albeit back in 2013. ^^

Yea, I know this. But I feel the answers weren't really...I don't know the word for it. I felt the answers really didn't give much closure.

I guess it's why shouldn't it happen just for holidays, then? For the sake of helping those who were stuck with the results of a system that was changed.

The quote form TJ says:

For example, in this case, the argument comes down to: should freezing be permanent? Those who froze their CB holidays years ago certainly did so with the expectation that it would be, but is it reasonable to believe that changes in conditions should give people the chance to revise their decisions?

I happen to believe not--there will almost certainly always be cases where an action is performed that the user later regrets, and while good software usability might dictate that users should be able to undo their changes as much as possible, the concept of making mistakes is a fundamental part of games that, when removed, takes away from the positive reaction of succeeding.

Why does he believe not? He talks about positive reaction of receiving, and simply not wanting to change rules?

He did change the rules. He lifted the limits of CB Holidays.

Therefore, why not allow those who are effect by this change be able to modify a little to suit it better?

There is a HUGE difference in the regret of freezing now, and the regret of freezing back then.

In Todays DC, the regret is "Aw man..I froze that hatchie." But you can get another one, any one. Unless it is a Holiday. But in todays DC, people know they only get two CBs, thus they can grab hatchies to freeze next year.

The regret of freezing in the past isn't, "Aw man, I froze that hatchie." It's, "But.. I froze that hatchie because you told us we could only ever have two..." And that was changed.

This isn't a regret based on action. This is a frustration users feel because of a game change.

Yes, games change, but when something major happens, the developers don't tend to tell players to "deal with it". They tend to compensate or help out those who are effect by things they did change. IE: Currency Conversions, patches for bugs, fixes for things that went wrong or were poorly received, a free option to remake characters in graphic overhauls.

They don't sit there and say, "Well, you made your character look like that back then, and you knew it was permanent, so you are stuck with it now despite the graphics overhaul." No, they give you the option for ONE retry. ONE redo.

Edited by Lyxii

I pretty much agree with Lyxii.

But I would also support a general unfreezing ability, as long as it came with a restriction to prevent abuse. (like so when people are hatchi-locked during the holiday breeding week glut, they wouldn't be too tempted to freeze hatchlings to unfreeze later) A reasonable restriction in my book would be that the hatchling had to be over a year old to unfreeze it. Which would allow old CB holidays that were frozen to be unfrozen immediately.

Yea, I know this. But I feel the answers weren't really...I don't know the word for it. I felt the answers really didn't give much closure.

I guess it's why shouldn't it happen just for holidays, then? For the sake of helping those who were stuck with the results of a system that was changed.

The quote form TJ says:

Why does he believe not? He talks about positive reaction of receiving, and simply not wanting to change rules?

He did change the rules. He lifted the limits of CB Holidays.

Therefore, why not allow those who are effect by this change be able to modify a little to suit it better?

There is a HUGE difference in the regret of freezing now, and the regret of freezing back then.

In Todays DC, the regret is "Aw man..I froze that hatchie." But you can get another one, any one. Unless it is a Holiday. But in todays DC, people know they only get two CBs, thus they can grab hatchies to freeze next year.

The regret of freezing in the past isn't, "Aw man, I froze that hatchie." It's, "But.. I froze that hatchie because you told us we could only ever have two..." And that was changed.

This isn't a regret based on action. This is a frustration users feel because of a game change.

Yes, games change, but when something major happens, the developers don't tend to tell players to "deal with it". They tend to compensate or help out those who are effect by things they did change. IE: Currency Conversions, patches for bugs, fixes for things that went wrong or were poorly received, a free option to remake characters in graphic overhauls.

They don't sit there and say, "Well, you made your character look like that back then, and you knew it was permanent, so you are stuck with it now despite the graphics overhaul." No, they give you the option for ONE retry. ONE redo.

I have a few dragons that are NOT CB holidays that I would unfreeze if/when this ever gets implemented. Because reasons. When I started, I only cared about sprites. I've got a lot nice things that are frozen. Yes, most, if not all could be replaced with a good deal of work. But if unfreezing becomes a thing, Why should we be only able to attempt on a few select dragons? TJ is exactly right, it is not worth coding for such a small percent of breeds. All or none.

I have a few dragons that are NOT CB holidays that I would unfreeze if/when this ever gets implemented.  Because reasons.  When I started, I only cared about sprites.  I've got a lot nice things that are frozen.  Yes, most, if not all could be replaced with a good deal of work.  But if unfreezing becomes a thing,  Why should we be only able to attempt on a few select dragons?  TJ is exactly right, it is not worth coding for such a small percent of breeds.  All or none.

I was trying to make my point about this: "This isn't a regret based on action. This is a frustration users feel because of a game change."

But, if what you said is the case.

Then go all. To be honest, if he can give dragons abilities to freeze a hatchling permanently, force a gender, incubate an egg to cut off time, etc. He can give a dragon something that can unfreeze a hatchling. You can either make it so the hatchling has to be frozen for a specific amount of time, which you can do because dragons are only able to breed every set number of days. So that mechanic exists. The denying of a ability, that is. There are some great ideas in this thread about what to do.

Now an answer would be nice is all I am saying.

Edited by Lyxii

Or it could be made as a Christmas miracle gift ~ if it's such a big deal NOT to give us the option to Unfreeze hatchlings freely as we can freeze them ~ make it so a Christmas miraculous change to a frozen hatchling of our choice happens on X-mas day and it becomes an adult~~~(like that one cartoon where a cow becomes a reindeer) I don't think once a year would be too much to ask for and people wouldn't be able to cheat around that?

And I agree... Any kind of thought about this and other suggestions in the Suggestion/Request thread deserve an answer and if they're taken into consideration or not unsure.gif I know TJ is a busy person but some suggestions have been debated through years and it's discouraging to not get any kind of feedback if that suggestion will become a thing some day in the future or we're wasting our time trying to come up with ideas to put it in-game..

I was trying to make my point about this: "This isn't a regret based on action. This is a frustration users feel because of a game change."

But, if what you said is the case.

Then go all. To be honest, if he can give dragons abilities to freeze a hatchling permanently, force a gender, incubate an egg to cut off time, etc. He can give a dragon something that can unfreeze a hatchling. You can either make it so the hatchling has to be frozen for a specific amount of time, which you can do because dragons are only able to breed every set number of days. So that mechanic exists. The denying of a ability, that is. There are some great ideas in this thread about what to do.

Now an answer would be nice is all I am saying.

The only answer we've gotten is "all or nothing". Because the original thread asked for CB holidays only, for the reasons you said. And TJ said he wouldn't do it just for them. Sadly, that was a few years ago and he might have changed his mind by now.

But I do feel this has been discussed to death. There are a number of people that want this or would use it for at least some dragons. But without feedback of what is or is not possible there is very little left to say on the topic. Because none of us know how the site is coded, so we don't know what is the most feasible way to handle things. sad.gif

Wolfgirl5. If we MUST make it a once a year thing, and I'd much rather it always be an option, like freeze. Then NOT Christmas. too much going on already. And do YOU want egg slots taken up with unfrozen hatchlings, however temporary? It should not be during any of the big DC events: Christmas, Valentines, Halloween, DC's birthday, or Easter. find an empty month so people kindly don't have to do even more juggling with pre-planned projects.

well why shouldnt unfreezing be just for the cb holidays. make it available for all dragons just like freezing is. plain and simple i can see absolutely no reason why anyone would have an issue with that.

now why not just let people have 5 unfreezes once a month since i doubt people would be using it very much

well why shouldnt unfreezing be just for the cb holidays. make it available for all dragons just like freezing is. plain and simple i can see absolutely no reason why anyone would have an issue with that.

now why not just let people have 5 unfreezes once a month since i doubt people would be using it very much

OH but they WOULD - to get around scroll limits, for one thing.

That's why I like the idea of a dragon having to have been frozen for at least a year to be eligible for unfreezing.

The impatient people who want to get around scroll limits aren't so likely to be tempted to abuse it if they have to wait a year to have an adult. If it's related to the holiday breeding glut they'd have to wait two years to be able to breed a holiday from it. (since dragons that grow up during the breeding week can't breed until it's over)

People who have old freezes they regret would be able to unfreeze without restriction.

It might be a good idea to also include a rate restriction, like the 5 per month mentioned by CellyBean, just as an added precaution.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I don't really like the idea of waiting one year, I would prefer a restriction on the number of unfreezes, possibly quite lower than the number of freezes per period. I can't think of any frozen hatchling in my scroll that I would want to unfreeze right now. But, in the last weeks, I almost froze hatchlings I wanted to hide because I was multitasking and not paying full attention to what I was doing. Since, strangely enough, I had flagged Password Verification, nothing happened but was a close call. Long story short: I would want the unfreeze to solve the "Oops, what have I done?" and I would be happy with a time limitation, for example unfreezing within half hour of freezing.

So what do you suggest to make the unfreezing situation unpalatable for people using freezing to get around hatchling limits then? Because somehow I doubt we'd get unfreezing if it was in a state that was ripe for abuse in that respect.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's possible to make it easy for you to undo your freezing mistakes right after you make them without at the same time turning freezing into an easy way to handle having too many hatchlings and wanting room for more. (which is exactly the kind of freezing abuse I'm trying to prevent with the 1 year wait thing)

Because most of the hatchling limits problems come during the three holiday breeding weeks. As long as there are enough unfreezes available over the rest of the year to unfreeze from those three weeks people would be free to abuse it in that fashion. Lowering the number of unfreezes to make that unfeasible would mean that people who really do have old freezing mistakes would be left frustrated. About all I can think is a combination. A really low number per year (like 5?) for anything younger than a year (hopefully you're not making a habit of absentmindedly freezing things), unlimited unfreezes for older things.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

So what do you suggest to make the unfreezing situation unpalatable for people using freezing to get around hatchling limits then?  Because somehow I doubt we'd get unfreezing if it was in a state that was ripe for abuse in that respect.

Maybe play off the idea of a once a year limit.

Maybe, like the Kill option, you get 3 or 5 tries, for the year. Once it is used up you get the message: "Sorry, but you have reached your unfreeze limit, you will be able to unfreeze new hatchlings on/in <Insert date or Time Frame>."

That way if someone hoards hatchlings to unfreeze, then you only get to unfreeze 3 to 5 for that year, then you have to wait again to unfreeze more. Which means, if you are that dedicated, then by all means. But the more hatchlings you hoard to unfreeze, the longer it will take you to get to unfreeze them. Cause with only 3 to 5 a year, well. You're gunna be at it for a loooong time.

I think we are both kinda on the same thought process. xd.png

Edit: Also, Happy Holidays! It's Christmas Eve here in Australia!

Edited by Lyxii

About all I can think is a combination. A really low number per year (like 5?) for anything younger than a year (hopefully you're not making a habit of absentmindedly freezing things), unlimited unfreezes for older things.

I would be quite happy with that combination.

About all I can think is a combination. A really low number per year (like 5?) for anything younger than a year (hopefully you're not making a habit of absentmindedly freezing things), unlimited unfreezes for older things.

Now this is an interesting compromise. I like it.

Idea. Each dragon can only use the freezing BSA once in its lifetime. Once it is used by that dragon it goes on 'cooldown' permanently. This would mean you would have to raise a dragon to unfreeze a dragon.

Also have the BSA attached to a rare breed to make unfreezing even harder to obtain. These two together would mean unfreezing would have to be worked for and would not be an 'easy out'.