LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

2 minutes ago, soullesshuman said:

I'm curious- has instant adult been considered as a way to jump over the scroll limits of having too many hatchlings? You could freeze a just-hatched hatchling, then unfreeze for an adult.

If you read through the OP, you will see that we have very, very carefully been approaching this in a way to avoid encouraging people to exploit unfreeze to circumvent scroll limits. Hence the lengthy discussions regarding 53 week waiting periods and limited unfreezes per year.

1 minute ago, LibbyLishly said:

If you read through the OP, you will see that we have very, very carefully been approaching this in a way to avoid encouraging people to exploit unfreeze to circumvent scroll limits. Hence the lengthy discussions regarding 53 week waiting periods and limited unfreezes per year.

Om yjsy case I don't have anything against it, even though I think it's not all that necessary.

The specific choice of a year and a week is to prevent abuse re: holiday limits (effectively making that line take two years to get to next gen, which is a pretty severe penalty); while I'd be fine with the rules being different for them, TJ has indicated in the past that they should be treated the same as your standard breeds (which is why we have this thread at all), so we end up with a blanket 53 weeks.

e: Although I suppose that unfreezing them could put their Last Bred date with that year's batch of new-growns? Would probably be too complex to sanely implement, though.

Edited by Guillotine

What about ungendered hatchlings? Already being frozen means we can't precog what gender it is, and although this was mostly brought up for xmas dragons they won't be the only dragons this will be used on. Unfortunately it'd also be inconvenient for precognition to include all ungendered frozen hatchies. I'm not really sure how to fix this either.

For example, perhaps you need a specific gender of CB adult, but due to the limits you can't go unfreezing all of them. Or perhaps you have a nice lineage hatchling but you're no longer sure if you froze it because it would misgender or because... some other reason, who knows. So you won't know if you have a nice lineage or a misgender that you wasted your unfreeze on.

Well on gender that will probably just be the way the chips fall. 

I think blanket rules and keep and keep it simple will be best in the long run.

I'm fine with letting ungendered hatchlings be a gamble. It's another step toward discouraging the use of unfreeze to get around scroll limits. Eventually someone will probably suggest allowing precog to work on frozen hatchlings and we can all fight about it then.

I feel that the simplest limitation combo that would appeal to most players who don't want to see unfreeze exploited would be:

53 week waiting period

12 unfreezes a year

Insta-adult

I know, and I agree, that they shouldn't all be necessary, and the 53 week wait still won't deter a dedicated player who's in it for the long term from using those twelve spots strategically, but most players won't bother and the focus can be simply on undoing past mistakes.

Sounds good to me too. I'm honestly just 100% in favor of unfreezing and don't really care all that much what limitations are put in place as long as we actually have the ability to unfreeze in some form. But I do like the 53-week wait. While I'd sort of prefer unlimited freezes (with the 53-week wait in place), I'm totally fine with 12/year. I personally don't think the holiday unfreezing "abuse" issue is a big enough issue to force additional restrictions, but I also wouldn't really mind something to prevent that... All in all I just want unfreeze and I'll take whatever restrictions there are. (Full disclosure I only have one frozen hatchie that I would really want to unfreeze, so yeah, restrictions in general are fine for me.)

6 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

I'm fine with letting ungendered hatchlings be a gamble. It's another step toward discouraging the use of unfreeze to get around scroll limits. Eventually someone will probably suggest allowing precog to work on frozen hatchlings and we can all fight about it then.

I feel that the simplest limitation combo that would appeal to most players who don't want to see unfreeze exploited would be:

53 week waiting period

12 unfreezes a year

Insta-adult

I know, and I agree, that they shouldn't all be necessary, and the 53 week wait still won't deter a dedicated player who's in it for the long term from using those twelve spots strategically, but most players won't bother and the focus can be simply on undoing past mistakes.

Sounds perfect. (Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

7 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

53 week waiting period

12 unfreezes a year

Insta-adult

Supporting this.

I decided the straight to adult is best since many people have their frozens in groups that are viewable over in the Encyclopedia Helpers thread and they might forget about those links & it is simplest.

Happy 4 year anniversary of this thread, everybody!

OP updated. I kind of want to play "Summon TJ" to see if we're missing anything, since he actually seemed to indicate recently that he thought suggestion was a good one, but... well. :lol:

14 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

. I kind of want to play "Summon TJ" to see if we're missing anything, since he actually seemed to indicate recently that he thought suggestion was a good one, but... well. :lol:

Let's try gathering one magma, thunder and ice dragon each to perform the ritual... Beware, though, there's a high risk of failure. (Should have gone with the zyumorphs...)

Nah, need Sunstones and Moonstones. Think with portals.

Really though, it'd be nice to get a comment on this. I think almost everything that could be said about this topic has be said by members.

(Also the update date on the first post is wrong. Says 1/1/17 instead of /18)

I never can get the hang of the new year. I'll be writing the wrong date until June. -_-

I have been known to sign cheques in my maiden name. I have been married for 52 years.... Getting the year right is beyond me.

I strongly approve of unfreezing. I say this as somebody who didn't actually know freezing was permanent, and very stupidly didn't read that freezing was permanent. My bf wanted to trade me a CB Zyu but I didn't have enough slots for it, so I thought he could freeze it and then trade it to me when I had a slot. Oh, how wrong I was, and now he has a random frozen Zyu he doesn't particularly want, and being able to unfreeze it would be awesome.

11 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Any chance we'll get this for Valentines..? No? Back to being disappointed.

How can one be disappointed with something that's not even confirmed to happen/not happen? :'D

But yes, I'm sitting here impatiently as well, weeping over my noob decisions from years ago, including the glorious shiny baby. </3

I like the most recent suggestion of this.

1 hour ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Orchi'dea A CB gold? That is ouch.. Poor little one.

I know right?! :C Back then I didn't even care about lineages, I haven't been even considering building any like I do nowadays... I just wanted to collect the sprites so um, this catastrophe happened. </3

On 12/29/2017 at 10:31 PM, Shadowdrake said:

What about ungendered hatchlings? Already being frozen means we can't precog what gender it is, and although this was mostly brought up for xmas dragons they won't be the only dragons this will be used on. Unfortunately it'd also be inconvenient for precognition to include all ungendered frozen hatchies. I'm not really sure how to fix this either.

For example, perhaps you need a specific gender of CB adult, but due to the limits you can't go unfreezing all of them. Or perhaps you have a nice lineage hatchling but you're no longer sure if you froze it because it would misgender or because... some other reason, who knows. So you won't know if you have a nice lineage or a misgender that you wasted your unfreeze on.

Actually, unless things have changed, ungendered dragons (except for the neglected ones) still have a gender they were supposed to be. This appeared when people were describing the dragon. It's view able to the people who go to approve desriptions and it was often brought up in the comments.

Again, this might have changed. I still really want unfreezing to be a thing. I have released most my frozen holiday dragons but there are still other, non holiday dragons I would be interested in unfreezing.

Sorry for bringing alt Sweetlings into yet another thread, but I think unfreezing is especially important with them. With the old limits, many people froze one of theirs. Now they have to choose between being stuck with one CB adult forever or releasing their second alt. Just yet another reason to introduce unfreezing...

Yeah, I find that a little problematic. Releasing and grabbing a new CB wouldn't actually help them there. Unfreezing would be their /only/ option (unless something else is done about the whole problem in general).

I have read the first post and the limitations listed within, and support 'unfreeze' as an option, and think the aforementioned limitations are reasonable.  As someone with old (sometimes 4-digit) CB holiday dragon hatchlings that I stupidly froze when I was a noob, I do wish I could unfreeze them. :P

Edited by VioletWhirlwind