LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

Again... cool down from freezing date is not necessary and would penalize the newer players. And, if there would be a cool down, as suggested enthusiastically by a few (at this point I suspect the enthusiasm was due to the fact that the restriction would not apply to them), be it from implementation. Plagiarizing AnanoKimi: "no cherry picking".

Most importantly, this cooldown will penalize players who want to abuse the feature to get around scroll limits during the end of Holiday walls, where everything is incu-hatchable.

In order to make it as fair as possible for everyone, I suggested this alternative system of accumulating unfreezes, starting with 0. In the first month, it might benefit only older players - but by the end of the year, everyone has had the same amount of unfreezes save for the players who yet have to freeze their first hatchling when this is implemented, who would lose up to one month worth of unfreezing. This way, players trying to abuse the feature will still be penalized, too.

Most importantly, this cooldown will penalize players who want to abuse the feature to get around scroll limits during the end of Holiday walls, where everything is incu-hatchable.

In order to make it as fair as possible for everyone, I suggested this alternative system of accumulating unfreezes, starting with 0. In the first month, it might benefit only older players - but by the end of the year, everyone has had the same amount of unfreezes save for the players who yet have to freeze their first hatchling when this is implemented, who would lose up to one month worth of unfreezing. This way, players trying to abuse the feature will still be penalized, too.

As per previous post, I'm not too concerned about potential abuse since I believe that the overwhelming majority of the players would not abuse and the remaining ones would find some other way to abuse whatever restrictions are implemented.

I'm not saying that your suggestion has no merit, it does. Just thinking that 12 unfreezes per year, available as soon as the new feature is implemented, would be a better way to go.

Edit: by the way, please provide examples of abuses achievable using this suggestion that would not be achievable otherwise.

Edited by NotBambi

I've written several lenghty posts how this feature can be abused, and how this will affect the AP and the general user who neither trades for extras nor cheats.

I know that trading for holiday hatchlings is a thing, and something you can use to gain a lot of extra holiday dragons. But every holiday traded for grew up on a scroll, completely without circumventing any limits. The overall number of holiday dragons raised by the 10,000 players trading with holiday hatchlings will not exceed their combined scroll limits.

However, if those 10,000 players had up to 4 (one third of 12) extra hatchling slots each holiday season, that's 40,000 extra hatchlings raised by that group. Which means that the AP is empty all the sooner, leaving players in the dust who joined a couple of hours late in the breeding season.

This, in turn, will have an effect on gifting and/or trading during the season - or would you be willing to wait for a trade to go through or a giftee to turn up if it could cost you a couple of hours - and thus several extra holiday dragons? (Without trading and gold trophy: 7 incu-hatchables + 7 incu-hatchables after the first batch hatched + 4 frozens to be unfrozens = 18)

Here's one of those posts of yours.

And one fron Cyradis4 here - who has described here exactly how s/he would happily abuse it. And stating that s/he WOULD, as well !

I see what you are suggesting as a loophole. Therefore, to me, it is a loophole. A loophole I would GLADLY abuse, a LOT.

And I KNOW s/he knows how !

A good quote from cyradis4:

Freezing / unfreezing with a short cooldown.... You might as well call it "16 flex hatchie slots". Frankly, that's not what I think the mechanic is meant to be, nor is it what this suggestion is aiming at. Mind, I have no objection to 16 flex hatchie slots!
Edited by fuzzbucket

I know I'd "abuse" this feature to get some extra Holidays, too. And I'm sure most other people who don't have anything else worth unfreezing would, too.

Well.. our opinions differ on the "abuse" part. The last thing that I'm concerned about when I read a suggestion about a new feature is if and how will someone abuse it. "Abusers" will indifferently abuse old or new features and I think they are a minority.

As previously discussed, if the abuse we are concerned about is i.e. someone getting a bunch of CB Halloweens by freezing and unfreezing, there's nothing stopping them from having eggs hosted by their almost-inactive friends etc. You put a restriction in place and the "abuser" finds a shortcut, work-around. Who ends being "punished" is the common player.

Abuse should be right up there with "Will this feature really help anyone and does it fit into the grand scheme of this game"

Abuse creates unfair advantages, unfair advantages create elitism. If you do not consider abuse as one of the first things to be worked on then your suggestions and features will always have major flaws that will create an us and them situation for many where those who play the game right and only use features for their intended purpose will fall behind those who abuse it constantly and without care.

While Abusers will always exist (We have a few here who have openly admitted they would abuse this and probably still will regardless of the wait) it does not mean that they are not something to be considered first. Little by little numbers mount up and even if its only a handful of players abusing this with no limits, the damage that can be done this way is much bigger than one that can be done for example with well placed but not overly strict limitations.

Also you would be surprised how many players will abuse a feature given the chance. It is never a good thing to give so many people the benefit of the doubt. You are setting yourself up for failure. Again, very active, trusted, and experienced players have openly admitted that should there be no limit they would abuse the living daylights out of this and thats about 4-5 out of about 7-10 people discussing this. That should give you an idea possibly site wide how many have the potential to actually abuse this feature.

Again though, while abuse is probable, a 1 year wait is far to large of a pentaly to pay for a mistake. I can understand this gripping fear some users have about holidays and all the pretties but really, I don't think this imagined thread everyone feels is as big as they think. 6 months should be plenty of time.

Edited by AnanoKimi

I would definitely support this. I know I've got a few caveborns that I froze (specifically a Yulebuck and Snow Angel) that I would absolutely love to unfreeze. I also support having restrictions in place. I think insta-adult would be fair, but making it still take up an egg slot to prevent the flex spots. If allowing them to grow normally, I would support their counters being reset to 7 days.

I'm sure a lot of us would like to use this on holiday dragons. Perhaps make it so that the holiday dragons could only be unfrozen during that breeds holiday and make its breeding cool down the same as it would be for a new release for that season so that it wouldn't breed holidays until the following season (I hope I didn't jack that last part up too badly)?

I'm sure a lot of us would like to use this on holiday dragons. Perhaps make it so that the holiday dragons could only be unfrozen during that breeds holiday and make its breeding cool down the same as it would be for a new release for that season so that it wouldn't breed holidays until the following season (I hope I didn't jack that last part up too badly)?

I would absolutely support that. It limits abuse for holidays, and I feel it isn't too much of a stretch to apply that restriction to holiday-only dragons considering they can already only be bred and caught during a specific season. Applying the breeding restriction as well makes total sense--all holidays that reach adulthood that season are ineligible for breeding until the next season, regardless of if it was through standard growth or unfreezing.

I would definitely support this. I know I've got a few caveborns that I froze (specifically a Yulebuck and Snow Angel) that I would absolutely love to unfreeze.

I've not only got old-frozen holiday dragons, but babies I really didn't mean to freeze (a couple of alt-blacks come to mind) and did so by accidental clickiness in the early morning hours with too many open tabs and not enough caffeine. >.<

I don't like the idea of making it a BSA (as is mentioned by others with a whole thread dedicated to GoN-BSA for this), but I do not think it should be a given-power that is readily available to players.

Perhaps a 1x a year special event thing that allows for 1 or 2 chosen, frozen hatchlings to become magickly grown? It can be added to a springtime event (outside of St. Patrick's or April Fools) - as in maybe a May thing? It can be coded to repeat in early to mid May, with little long-term maintenance.

Spring is a time for new life, thawing of winter, and growth. Can use May Day, Beltain (Celtic), or just Spring in general and appeals to people everywhere.

Should be performed on hatchlings that are NO YOUNGER than 6 months (this will prevent holidays from being frozen for slots). So any eggs laid in and after November couldn't be unfrozen until the second "Spring Thaw" (I like that name!) of their being frozen.

Sort of like an annual event where everyone can choose 1 or 2 frozen hatchlings for new life. Or better yet, make it a real event where a "Wheel of Life" is spun with anywhere from 0 to 3 chances. Players would spin the wheel, and be granted the number of chances to unfreeze a qualified hatchling.

There would be a percentage of success (I'd say keep it rather low - 10 to 15 percent? Or even lower?) and the chosen hatchling will then be "auto grown" to adult with all capabilities of an adult of its breed. This will keep from abuse of trading and such.

Success Verbiage...

"The magick of spring produces an aura of life around your hatchling, allowing it to fully grow to adulthood."

Failure Verbiage...

If can have more than one chance, then...

"The magick of spring was not strong enough and your hatchling remains in its current form. Concentrate harder and try again."

If only one chance, or no more chances are left, then...

"The magick of spring was not strong enough and your hatchling remains in its current form. Better luck next year."

Or something to that effect.

*edited to slay the typo daemons that torment my fingers and to expand on the idea a bit*

Edited by Zoa

I could not, in all the tongues of beast or man, find the words to express the level of "no support" I feel towards any of that, in all honesty.

It's been talked over and over and over and over and over and over to death and back multiple times at this point.

Working as a standard action is simple, easy to understand, and probably easier on TJ than coding up a whole random chance event to happen every year.

Not only that, but a fail rate on top of those restrictions is overkill. There's NO reason if you're already forced to wait for a small window during a once-a-year event that you should have a fail rate.

And on top of wanting to enforce the long wait, and the possible fail, you want to force players to have no chance of participating that year AT ALL?

It's beyond overkill as an attempt to moderate the idea.

If they're already having a chance to fail AND a chance to not even get to try, AND it's only usable during a small timeframe yearly, then there should be NO wait time at all--the dragons should be up for unfreeze the very first "thaw event" that rolls around.

@KageSora - we can agree to disagree.

There are two schools of thought in relation to the "freezing" - or stopping the growth - of a hatchling.

1 - it "freezes" a baby, thus, to some, killing it

2 - it stops the growth of a hatchling for collection purposes

Considering I do the second, I do not see it as killing a baby - but many do particularly in RP. Thus, the original action of "freezing" is very much thought out by the majority of the RPers before they actually perform the action. For those of us that do it for collection, we do have _some_ emotional attachment, but otherwise it just stops the growth and we can grab more eggs.

On either side of the fence, there is the potential of abuse regardless of availability and occurrence or not should the act of "un-freezing" be allowed.

Insofar as the programming of an event, coding would not be that hard, and setting the code to run once a year is even simpler (yes, I'm a programmer). If for some reason the PHP couldn't be done to run via CRON once a year, well, a simple batch script initiation on the specified date wouldn't be as hard either. If it isn't PHP, but Java - again, not _that_ hard to do (my flavor is Java). Just make an applet and set the CRON.

Of course, I dunno what is behind TJ's site - and am just making suggestions as to how it would fit without people taking advantage of it during specific times, ie: the holidays.

Freezing of the eggs hatchlings is a personal choice, as is un-freezing of them. For the most part, I don't think people will want to unfreeze their hatchlings. There are instances where they are frozen by accident (as are my two alts below) or due to old mechanics (as in the old Xmas CBs) so I can see your point as to making it a "any time I want to" event.

I just think adding a bit of flair and chance adds to TJ's ideal of making it part of the overall game of things, rather than a standing feature which could be abused.

(please note I am not implying that TJ approves of this action, but he is more akin to the overall game - entertainment - of the DC than just changing rules/features without it fitting into the overall)

And the event need not be limited (that was just my suggestion to avoid abuse) - it can be a "free for all" during a set time period - Springtime. I just don't think it will be as rampant as some have discussed within this thread as the majority of people froze their hatchlings for a reason - be it RP or collection. There are instances where an unfreezing would be wanted, and if it is wanted that badly - well, then the person can wait for the next Spring.

Edited by Zoa

There are instances where an unfreezing would be wanted, and if it is wanted that badly - well, then the person can wait for the next Spring.
Just as some people had to wait for 3+ years for their first GoN to be summoned, despite summoning (almost?) every other week. That's about 75+ summoning attempts. Let's make it 60 because people might have forgotten on occasion, or waited a day too long. Summoning did have a similar success ratio to the 10-15% you're suggesting for unfreezing. (Well, maybe a little lower).

So, if we had a yearly event with to chances to unfreeze that have a similar chance of success to work as has Summon (without any bonuses added later on), some people might have to try for 30+ years in order to unfreeze a single hatchling.

Yeah, right.

We should be able to unfreeze hatchlings due to one simple reason; we are human, thus imperfect, and will change our minds a lot.

At this current state, the site has gone a long time without a change, however, I think that DragCave's community has thoroughly thought this out. I agree with about half of the points introduced. Waiting 6 months to a year to unfreeze a hatchling seems reasonable and I feel it should only be so many before a global cooldown is induced.

However, I believe trading the hatchlings should be allowed and they should be breedable since they will follow standard breeding rules anyway.

The reason I believe trading should be allowed is because there are these dragons that a lot of people desire that will never be returning. Frills and Dark Pinks are the example here. Dark Pinks will never be returning since they now have the Bright Pink Form and Frills are forever gone because we screwed up as a community. Other people will have a small chance to collect these creatures before they were forced to be a permanent rare. Another note I have to this is that people will not be able to sell these dragons at as a high price as you might think. They will have to compromise. People who sell rare cars understand. The car with factory parts and low miles that comes from the 80s may sell for double of what a new car, today, sells for, but the seller will go down to meet the buyer's price as long as they can give a good compromise to the asking price.

I want to see breedability because people like me were stuck with an older rule that only allowed us 2 Holidays and that is it. I have CB Holidays that I'd love to breed and get out as a second-gen, but because I wanted my collection, I froze 1 and grew the other up. Due to the change in this rule, I have been punished. Since if I could collect more than 2, I would have 2 CBs and 2 to be frozen (one for each stage) of any lineage. As a direct result, I cannot do anything for the AP when Holiday time flips over and it is time to get your Holiday Dragons out the door and pick up the new one.

I actually like the idea of a Spring Thaw, but your idea is way too limiting, Zoa. I'm not even going to get into whether it's possible since I don't understand coding, but if we go ahead and do it that way, the unfreezing should be 100% effective. I could agree with it other than that, especially if it's more of a free-for-all; heck, some people were saying that they'd wait a whole year, this is just establishing exactly what time it would happen. In that case though, we'd have to limit the number of unfreezes, and maybe make them have to be from at least 6 months ago, to avoid helping people unfreeze Christmas and Halloween eggs from the same year... well, something like that.

I like Charu's idea of being able to trade the hatchlings, though I doubt my chances of getting a CB Bright Pink would be any better if that happened /laugh.

Nope. No trading unfrozen hatchlings. People would so use this ability to sell their frozen hatchlings (CB holidays, retired breeds, seasonals out of season...) for who knows what. Plus, it would be so much of an advantage that I'd rather not see unfreezing at all, to be honest. Unfreezing was meant for people who want to correct past mistakes, or past actions that made sense under the rules we had then. It's not meant for some people to be able to suddenly ask for a fortune for dragons that simply shouldn't be available at the time.

Edited by olympe

Nope. No trading unfrozen hatchlings. People would so use this ability to sell their frozen hatchlings (CB holidays, retired breeds, seasonals out of season...) for who knows what. Plus, it would be so much of an advantage that I'd rather not see unfreezing at all, to be honest. Unfreezing was meant for people who want to correct past mistakes, or past actions that made sense under the rules we had then. It's not meant for some people to be able to suddenly ask for a fortune for dragons that simply shouldn't be available at the time.

This. I agree with every word. Either insta-adult or no unfreezing.

But there's no reason to make them unbreedable.

This, in turn, will have an effect on gifting and/or trading during the season - or would you be willing to wait for a trade to go through or a giftee to turn up if it could cost you a couple of hours - and thus several extra holiday dragons? (Without trading and gold trophy: 7 incu-hatchables + 7 incu-hatchables after the first batch hatched + 4 frozens to be unfrozens = 18)

I understand your point but I was looking for examples of what was achievable using unfreezing that would not be achievable otherwise. 18 Holiday dragons can't compete with the 31 Halloweens (2015) referenced on the book of records.

Trading unfrozen hatchies? No, thank you. The idea is to be able to fix mistakes vs getting trading fodder.

Thus, the original action of "freezing" is very much thought out by the majority of the RPers before they actually perform the action. For those of us that do it for collection, we do have _some_ emotional attachment, but otherwise it just stops the growth and we can grab more eggs.

Even a person who views it as killing can regret it, or can make a mistake. I mean, people have regretted killing dragons before. So it's not like they can't change their mind.

I also argue that those of us who freeze for collection aren't doing it willy-nilly with no thought. Nowadays I have specific criteria for what I freeze for collection, and I STILL made a mistake the other day.

Some do, sure--and I'm sure some users kill dragons without thinking about it then regret it.

I also challenge the "some" idea behind emotional attachment. YOU may never have much attachment to anything you freeze. I, however, have several frozen dragons I have a strong attachment to, though I won't unfreeze them for other reasons. Others I have a strong attachment to that I would unfreeze.

Furthermore, a user who regrets killing a dragon may try, once per dragon, at any point in the year without some magical event, to bring their dragon back. Of course, it's a once-only attempt, but you can do it any time you like.

Insofar as the programming of an event, coding would not be that hard, and setting the code to run once a year is even simpler (yes, I'm a programmer).

I wasn't simply speaking of ease of coding--ease for the userbase is a factor as well. I find it simpler to just have a blanket action rather than having to plan to be sure I can get on during the event otherwise I'll have to wait another year.

Plus if I get zero chances? That's a pain in the censorkip.gif . And if I got, say, 3 chances and failed each time? Why even bother if it's just going to get my hopes up then shatter them over and over?

Just as some people had to wait for 3+ years for their first GoN to be summoned, despite summoning (almost?) every other week. That's about 75+ summoning attempts. Let's make it 60 because people might have forgotten on occasion, or waited a day too long. Summoning did have a similar success ratio to the 10-15% you're suggesting for unfreezing. (Well, maybe a little lower).

So, if we had a yearly event with to chances to unfreeze that have a similar chance of success to work as has Summon (without any bonuses added later on), some people might have to try for 30+ years in order to unfreeze a single hatchling.

Yeah, right.

Summon is exactly what I had in mind.

Re: trading:

I agree with no trading--it's designed to allow correction of mistakes or for mind-changes, not to grant super fodder for trading.

On the other hand, once those dragons grow up--there is a finite number of them that could be traded--that would go away.

Even a person who views it as killing can regret it, or can make a mistake. I mean, people have regretted killing dragons before. So it's not like they can't change their mind.

I also argue that those of us who freeze for collection aren't doing it willy-nilly with no thought. Nowadays I have specific criteria for what I freeze for collection, and I STILL made a mistake the other day.

Some do, sure--and I'm sure some users kill dragons without thinking about it then regret it.

I also challenge the "some" idea behind emotional attachment. YOU may never have much attachment to anything you freeze. I, however, have several frozen dragons I have a strong attachment to, though I won't unfreeze them for other reasons. Others I have a strong attachment to that I would unfreeze.

Furthermore, a user who regrets killing a dragon may try, once per dragon, at any point in the year without some magical event, to bring their dragon back. Of course, it's a once-only attempt, but you can do it any time you like.

Yes, exactly! I used to have no rules for what I froze, and now I have more extensive ones. I don't want to just release my frozen babies either; I want to use them to further a lineage I'm trying to create. And yeah, about the killing thing. Those dragons are 100% dead and you can try to bring them back, before their grave vanishes. That kind of negates the 'but some people who freeze the hatchlings see it as killing them' argument. Magic can do amazing things in the world of Dragon Cave; why isn't there a counterspell to the freezing charm?

Also... alright, you all have a very good point about no trading. I was just thinking about what if I finally had a chance to get a CB Bright Pink... ah well. No use regretting old mistakes of that nature /laugh

I wasn't simply speaking of ease of coding--ease for the userbase is a factor as well. I find it simpler to just have a blanket action rather than having to plan to be sure I can get on during the event otherwise I'll have to wait another year.

Plus if I get zero chances? That's a pain in the censorkip.gif . And if I got, say, 3 chances and failed each time? Why even bother if it's just going to get my hopes up then shatter them over and over?

Summon is exactly what I had in mind.

Re: trading:

I agree with no trading--it's designed to allow correction of mistakes or for mind-changes, not to grant super fodder for trading.

On the other hand, once those dragons grow up--there is a finite number of them that could be traded--that would go away.

Oh, I've made mistakes.... am only human.

I freeze for collection purposes - not much of a dragon RPer as others are. I do have some sort of emotional attachment for the babies - most of them that I freeze are inbred messies. Rarely do I freeze a biome born egg - I'll give them away first, particularly if they are desirable. The only ones I do freeze a lot are storm dragons, as I want to have a Storm Baby Army.

Insofar as your challenging the "some" statement. I did not mean to imply that I am all hoity-toity with regard to emotional attachment. I'm rather fond of my BSL lineage as it is dedicated to my favorite breed of doggies. I was wanting to keep my comment generalized - the emphasis was not meant to be snooty.

If it is a blanket action (like bringing the dragon back from death is) or a special event - in either case the chance of unfreezing a frozen hatchling is very desirable. Perhaps do both?

1 - Blanket event much like the resurrection thing - only one try per frozen hatchling at any time of the year - and only that one time (no waiting until after the Spring Thaw for another "standard chance at un-freezing)

AND

2 - During a Spring Thaw, then the Random Number Gods will play havok and allow any hatchling to be unfrozen, if the Random Number Gods are kind (1 for a spin and 2 for the actual action)

So for example's sake.

I wanna unfreeze my early, caveborn Holiday Dragon (frozen when we were allowed only 2/scroll).

I will use the Standard Unfreeze - and it fails. sad.gif CB Holiday stays frozen.

Spring Thaw comes! YAY!

I spin the Wheel of Life and am granted 2 attempts.

Both attempts fails (for the Random Number Gods hate me so).

I will then have to wait for the next Spring Thaw to try again.

OR

Since the Gods are cruel, if unfreezing during the Spring Thaw fails - that baby is meant to be a part of Neverland, and thus kindred to Peter Pan and never grows up... ever... with no chance of unfreezing ever again.

What say you? I think this is a nice combination of the ideas, gives it a creative slant, and appeases both schools of thought:

1 - lemme try to unfreeze my mistake/mechanic-changed baby for growth & breeding!

2 - if it is frozen, it should stay frozen

Somethings that should be firm though, if unfrozen...

1 - baby insta-grows and stays on your scroll as a dragon, no trading

---- you can kill or release the dragon, but why waste the unfreezing if you're gonna do that?!

2 - the newly grown dragon has all features of its breed/sex, including breeding and BSAs

3 - ungendered frozen hatchlings that are unfrozen have a 50/50 chance of being whatever sex, no choosing. ya didn't know the sex when it was frozen, so you won't know the sex when it is unfrozen (with exception to those single-sexed breeds as they will gender per their breed)

@Zoa: I believe TJ has said that gender is set upon hatching, so yah, unfrozen S1s would just gender as whatever they would've been normally smile.gif

I'm still trying to figure out WHY it should be a yearly event, rather than a true counterpart to freezing which we can do at any point in time without a fail rate and with a set number that regenerate over time.

To me, it does not add flare or interest. It simply imposes a restriction that's annoying and bothersome when it could have been streamlined so much easier.

The idea has been talked to death and has plenty of proposed restrictions to counter concerns about abuse.

Why, exactly, SHOULD it be a once-a-year event? What benefit does that have over the idea of a basic action, besides being an event?

Personally, I'm absolutely no friend of RNG or sheer dumb luck. I'd much rather see restrictions, which are the same for everyone, than have people rely on chance. Because with chance, some people will get lucky and have a 90% success rate, while others have a measly 10%.

Personally, I'm absolutely no friend of RNG or sheer dumb luck. I'd much rather see restrictions, which are the same for everyone, than have people rely on chance. Because with chance, some people will get lucky and have a 90% success rate, while others have a measly 10%.

Agreed. It's already shown itself to happen in the game with Summon.

I can go any way, so long as we get the ability in one form or another.

It doesn't HAVE to be once a year - I did say can be a combination thereof. I just think would add a challenge for people is all, nothing more.

In the end, it is all up to TJ.