Jump to content
LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

Recommended Posts

*pulls this back up* Since TJ is looking at suggestions, I'd still like to know if I have any hope of this being a thing or not.

Share this post


Link to post

I would love this. Especially for things that were frozen before unlimited bred holidays became a thing.

Share this post


Link to post

I’d feel more secure with the option. I don’t usually freeze things, but there are some old CBs Id love to unfreeze- specifically an original bright pink and frill as I think it’d be nice to have an original adult I can breed. 

 

A question though (if the hatch was to immediately grow up). What would happen if the hatchi is ungendered, would dragon cave recall the gender it would’ve been as an adult?

Share this post


Link to post

I'd love to be able to reverse freezing :wub: The only reason I haven't frozen anything so far is that it's forever and I don't want them to be trapped in their hatchie states for all eternity. :o

 

Yes, that's a bit exaggerated (and they're only pixels) but I'd love to be able to stretch their childhood for a few weeks or months (-> here the suggestion of 53 weeks) and then let them grow up eventually. (as pretty as some hatchie sprites are... they all deserve to grow up at some point)

Edited by Soulsborne

Share this post


Link to post

As someone who froze CB holidays back when the limit was 2, period... yeah, support.

Share this post


Link to post

I like the restrictions outlined in the first post. I'd be in favour of unfreezing if those restrictions were implemented to prevent abuse. 

Share this post


Link to post

1 a month seems low. I'd prefer if they regenerated maybe at least at a quarter of the rate of freeze slots.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm fine with one a month. We never HAVE to freeze, after all.

Share this post


Link to post

I also support any version of this.  I have several hatchlings I would LOVE to be able to unfreeze.  I can think of at least two instances where I had two hatchies of the same breed on my scroll and froze the wrong one. :angry: I'm not sure exactly what else is hidden away in my frozens, but I would sure love a chance to review and update them to match my current scroll goals. 

Share this post


Link to post

I was actually coming her to post a suggestion for a "freeze reversal window", just a 5-10 minute grace period after the action where it can be undone.  (As long as you don't log out?) 

 

I would completely support the version in this thread, too.  Even with a lower limit - 5, say, or even 3 unfreezes per year - I would absolutely find this fair and useful.  Having the frozen hatchie immediately grow up eliminates most of the abuse potential, especially with Holidays now being available as CBs every year.

 

I like the suggestion earlier in the thread that it be framed as 'a very powerful spell' that takes too much magic to perform frequently, thus explaining the limit and why the dragon instantly reaches adulthood as well as just leaving the frozen state. :)

 

Instead of "this action is irreversible," the freeze message could be tweaked to "you may not be able to reverse this action" (since it would depend on whether you had any Unfreeze actions left).  Plenty of other "irreversible" actions on DC can now be reversed by players, after all - Influence can be broken by APing or teleporting, as can Incubate, but the message still calls these 'irreversible' (leading to people trying to trade "influenced" eggs, but that's a problem for another thread...)

 

Anyway: YES, PLEASE, DO WANT, and this thread's idea seems like a very well-thought-out way to implement it. 

Share this post


Link to post

5 to 10 minutes would be completely useless for what most everyone is this thread is supporting it for.  So absolute NO to that idea.  even just the  "I had two of this breed and froze the wrong one" crowd might not notice in that time period.  This thread has discussed this to death, and the current ideas are more than fine as is. 

Share this post


Link to post

Ahh Id love to be able to unfreeze. Back when I didnt know what I was doing I froze so many 4 character CBs and the chance to grow them up would be great, as I have so few. They are a relic from the past, Id love to really cherish in the present. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Well, for the argument "freezing is permanent, it says so" killing is also supposed to be permanent. Yet we can always try to revive it.

 

Seems a bit hypocritic (? Is that a word?) to me, that a dead hatchling can be brought back to life, but a magically living  hatchling, can't be unfrozen.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, I was thinking about this thread the other day! I had an idea, since there's another petsite that uses this mechanic: since we have the market now, perhaps we could create a "Scroll of Instant Maturity" which people can buy via the market, and it can be used on both frozen and unfrozen dragons to age them up instantly? There would need to be a steep price because of the obvious benefits of such a thing, but I was thinking it could solve multiple problems at once :)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Paintra said:

Ah, I was thinking about this thread the other day! I had an idea, since there's another petsite that uses this mechanic: since we have the market now, perhaps we could create a "Scroll of Instant Maturity" which people can buy via the market, and it can be used on both frozen and unfrozen dragons to age them up instantly? There would need to be a steep price because of the obvious benefits of such a thing, but I was thinking it could solve multiple problems at once :)

Let me guess, Flight Rising?

 

I wouldn't support being able to do that with unfrozen hatchlings, or hell, frozen hatchlings under a week old. This is, sadly, a waiting game, and even with a steep price I just think that breaks the spirit of things.

 

I was going to say something like "I'd rather an unfreezing option just set the hatchling's timer" but suddenly realized that no matter how I figure it, every option I can think of is open to abuse-- and the methods to bypass said abuse get really specific.

 

If you set the timer to the 7 day default, you essentially get extra time to trade something without using Stun, or in extreme cases you could give someone an original Holly that was frozen back when they first came out.

If you set it back to whatever the timer was before, not only would that maybe not even be possible for older hatchlings (depending on if the site tracked it before the action log-- just dates won't be accurate), that's the same issue as the 7 day issue.

If you set it to instantly age up a hatchling, you essentially bypass the waiting however often you're able to unfreeze. You could maybe be forced to wait until the hatchling's one or two weeks old before unfreezing, but that also kind of gives you a phantom slot.

 

It's kind of a tricky mechanic to implement and avoid exploitation. Hm.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Keileon said:

Let me guess, Flight Rising?

 

I wouldn't support being able to do that with unfrozen hatchlings, or hell, frozen hatchlings under a week old. This is, sadly, a waiting game, and even with a steep price I just think that breaks the spirit of things.

 

I was going to say something like "I'd rather an unfreezing option just set the hatchling's timer" but suddenly realized that no matter how I figure it, every option I can think of is open to abuse-- and the methods to bypass said abuse get really specific.

 

If you set the timer to the 7 day default, you essentially get extra time to trade something without using Stun, or in extreme cases you could give someone an original Holly that was frozen back when they first came out.

If you set it back to whatever the timer was before, not only would that maybe not even be possible for older hatchlings (depending on if the site tracked it before the action log-- just dates won't be accurate), that's the same issue as the 7 day issue.

If you set it to instantly age up a hatchling, you essentially bypass the waiting however often you're able to unfreeze. You could maybe be forced to wait until the hatchling's one or two weeks old before unfreezing, but that also kind of gives you a phantom slot.

 

It's kind of a tricky mechanic to implement and avoid exploitation. Hm.

You got it!

 

Also, in the past I've seen people recommend that the dragon be frozen for a certain period of time? A week or so, since a dragon will either be grown up or dead by a week if it was not frozen. Maybe that could work?

 

I also, on second thought, agree that the instant age-up item isn't a great idea in practice.

Share this post


Link to post

I think instant age-up is perfectly fine, provided the hatchie be old enough for it. When frozen they already count as an adult instantly, and if you want growing naturally for bsa or breeding to be more likely to be used then the week or two of waiting is fair enough. I can't see any ways to exploit it with a demanded wait time and an unfreeze slot limit.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

I think instant age-up is perfectly fine, provided the hatchie be old enough for it. When frozen they already count as an adult instantly, and if you want growing naturally for bsa or breeding to be more likely to be used then the week or two of waiting is fair enough. I can't see any ways to exploit it with a demanded wait time and an unfreeze slot limit.

 

I'm also with instant age-up - it's the only way to prevent people using his as a trade mechanic - I can see it now - for my CB rosebud in October, I want..... But I take the point about views. So the unfrozens would HAVE to be made untradeable.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Paintra said:

Ah, I was thinking about this thread the other day! I had an idea, since there's another petsite that uses this mechanic: since we have the market now, perhaps we could create a "Scroll of Instant Maturity" which people can buy via the market, and it can be used on both frozen and unfrozen dragons to age them up instantly? There would need to be a steep price because of the obvious benefits of such a thing, but I was thinking it could solve multiple problems at once :)

I'd use that a lot. And the only frozen thing on my scroll is a leetle tree.

But next time a holiday comes around and I'm scroll-locked with hatchlings only and the AP is full of insta-hatchable eggs... Count. Me. In.

 

Overall, it probably shouldn't work on growing things. And it probably should also apply the already discussed wait of 1 year (or was it 53 weeks?) after freezing.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Full support!

Just the other week I killed an old-frozen hatchi because it was a CB and I refuse to have any frozen CB (everyone plays how they wants, this is my quirk) but I'd rather had it just turn into an adult instead.

 

I'm in favour of the following features:

-hatchi instantly grows into adult (prevents any trading&confusion) (lore: magic so powerful it gave life -force to grow)

-time limited (but not this much. 53 weeks and only 12/year is overkill)

Frozen hatchi count as an adult for your trophy anyway so the only concern remains freeze-insta-unfreeze to bypass normal growth, so a limit is needed, but not that strict.

You can max freeze 18 hatchi every 2 weeks, this means a whooping 468 freeze/year. I think is fair to allow 1 unfreeze/2 weeks (almost 5%) which low enough to not be abused since you also use a freeze and high enough to be confortable, 26 (potential insta-adults 'abuse') /year is really insignificant and can't be abused on holidays more than freeze is, maybe you find 26 great lines on a holiday, investing a whole year into adulting them seems like enough wait/work

1 month cooldown (or rather 'warming' of the hatchi from the freeze) untill unfreeze also seems more than enough if you really can't cope with 1 insta-adult/2weeks

-you can't influence gender. (Well you couldn't anyway since it hatched)

-can't be performed on zombie (seems logic, they're not hatchi)

 

Edited by camelia2

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.