LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

I do think 53 weeks plus only 12 unfreezes a year is too much restriction because...

Lets say you catch or trade over 16 bred dragons for each holiday in a year (thats the max of freezings you get every 2 weeks, and I dont think any holiday last more than that, so its difficult to freeze more than that), using only the freezing&unfreezing mechanics. That means:

*You have 48 dragons, from which you can unfreeze no one until next year plus a week... that means that you can repeat the process without unfreezing anything, which goes to...

*The second year you can have around 96 frozen dragons! Now you can unfreeze 12 of those dragons , so...

*Now you only have 84 frozen dragons... How few... Oh, and here comes the third year. How fun...

So why freeze them at all ? Unless to get around limits - which is EXACTLY why the limits are suggested.

If you want unfrozen adult dragons - don't freeze hatchies - it's not rocket science.

I am rapidly coming round to the idea of giving up on supporting this, because TJ has said no exceptions for holidays and the only TRULY valid reason I can see for this is to unfreeze CB past holidays for people who froze to get the sprite when the limit of 2 was still in place. (or, if it's true that punkins started out unbreedable, for CB punkins. I wasn't here then and I didn't know they had ever been unbreedable but someone recently told me this...)

As far as I can see everyone now in favour seems to want it so that they can freeze and unfreeze. The only reason you'd need to unfreeze a dragon you froze recently is because you made a terrible mistake. You shouldn't surely make mistakes THAT often ? So... why ELSE do you need to freeze, pederino ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I do think 53 weeks plus only 12 unfreezes a year is too much restriction because...

Lets say you catch or trade over 16 bred dragons for each holiday in a year (thats the max of freezings you get every 2 weeks, and I dont think any holiday last more than that, so its difficult to freeze more than that), using only the freezing&unfreezing mechanics. That means:

*You have 48 dragons, from which you can unfreeze no one until next year plus a week... that means that you can repeat the process without unfreezing anything, which goes to...

*The second year you can have around 96 frozen dragons! Now you can unfreeze 12 of those dragons , so...

*Now you only have 84 frozen dragons... How few... Oh, and here comes the third year. How fun...

In conclussion, after 3 years of "abusing" the feature you will end up needing 7 years without freezing to unfreeze every holiday you got this way, thats without adding any possible mistake. Even if you only used it the first year, you would need to wait 4 years plus the one year to wait without freezing to unfreeze everything you got through freezing.

...so don't catch that many? I'm sorry just like Fuzz says, this feature is primarily meant to help fix honest mistakes, like the one Red I keep talking about, or people who froze CB Holidays back when we could only have two, or perhaps one or two people who might one day regret freezing, say, a CB Prize or their GoNs.

Heck, your own suggestion only allowed 4 total if they were not used, if I had a gold trophy. If I didn't go over that and only got 4 per holiday, just by way of example, that wouldn't go over my limit of 12 a year, and I could still have some for honest mistakes simply by... freezing less per holiday. And that's why there are checks and balances in place, to stop people from freezing 16 per holiday. It's hard enough as it is getting eggs from the previous year; I don't want to have to struggle against people who get them, hatch them, freeze them, and go back for more.

Edited by silver_chan

I agree with fuzz.

Unfreezing should be a once-in-a-long-while "oops" thing. Like the fact that I froze a frill hatchie before I knew they were going to be discontinued. Or freezing a CB holiday before the limits were changed.

Unfreezing should *not* be "collect more, collect more!", and THAT is why such limitations are a good idea.

So why freeze them at all ? Unless to get around limits - which is EXACTLY why the limits are suggested.

If you want unfrozen adult dragons - don't freeze hatchies - it's not rocket science.

I am rapidly coming round to the idea of giving up on supporting this, because TJ has said no exceptions for holidays and the only TRULY valid reason I can see for this is to unfreeze CB past holidays for people who froze to get the sprite when the limit of 2 was still in place. (or, if it's true that punkins started out unbreedable, for CB punkins. I wasn't here then and I didn't know they had ever been unbreedable but someone recently told me this...)

As far as I can see everyone now in favour seems to want it so that they can freeze and unfreeze. The only reason you'd need to unfreeze a dragon you froze recently is because you made a terrible mistake. You shouldn't surely make mistakes THAT often ? So... why ELSE do you need to freeze, pederino ?

Not all, Fuzz.

The 53 week cooldown is a very STRONG incentive to not freeze in order to un-freeze. A shorter cooldown? Sure I'd use it to get around limits!

But a 53 week cooldown is long enough that I, at least, will just trade other people shinies to get the extra hatchie slots right then, than to wait 2 years to continue that lineage. Oh sure, you could still "abuse" it.... but the wait is so long as to be irrelevant.

As for why... Right now, the game-changes this could be used to correct for are:

- frozen before changes in limits (Christmases and Valentines)

- frozen before retirement (Frills and Bright Pinks)

- frozen before breeding status change (Pumpkins really could not breed when released)

- I'm sure there are other ways the game could, in the future, change, that would make people regret freezings.

Waiting 1 year isn't going to bother those above any.... Chances are, they froze over a year ago *anyway*, given how not-fast the game changes. And 12 a year isn't going to bother them much, anyway, because again.... The game changes so slowly that its unlikely they'll have tons to unfreeze in most cases.

And the mistakes:

- Freezing and then regretting it for any reason (probably through a change in how you play)

- Freezing due to inexperience

- Freezing the wrong dragon

In most cases of freezing the wrong dragon, it'll be far easier to replace it than to wait any length of time. For the other 3 reasons.... At least you will be able to reverse it, which is more than they can do now. In that case, I don't expect any fuss about the year-long limit (or the 12 per year, or both) from those parties, either.

That just leaves those who would want to unfreeze often, for whatever reason. The only reason I can think of to unfreeze with any frequency (the above actions don't happen all that often.... very infrequently, in fact), is to get around the scroll limits.

tj;dr

The key to this, as I see it, is:

Those who this is meant to help would be willing to WAIT.

Those who would abuse this would not be willing to wait.

Therefore, a long cooldown (with maybe a tight limit) would take those who would abuse it out... while leaving those who this is meant help, helped.

Cheers!

C4.

As I said before, even a 53 weeks waiting period for unfreezing wouldn't faze me, so I'm not sure how it would affect other people. However, I don't care if a waiting period is implemented or not.

I still think that limiting the number of unfreezes per year strictly is much more suitable to prevent abuse. Sure, 4 extras for each holiday season are something - but they're definitely less than 16 each season. wink.gif

Not all, Fuzz.

The 53 week cooldown is a very STRONG incentive to not freeze in order to un-freeze. A shorter cooldown? Sure I'd use it to get around limits!

But a 53 week cooldown is long enough that I, at least, will just trade other people shinies to get the extra hatchie slots right then, than to wait 2 years to continue that lineage. Oh sure, you could still "abuse" it.... but the wait is so long as to be irrelevant.

As for why... Right now, the game-changes this could be used to correct for are:

- frozen before changes in limits (Christmases and Valentines)

- frozen before retirement (Frills and Bright Pinks)

- frozen before breeding status change (Pumpkins really could not breed when released)

- I'm sure there are other ways the game could, in the future, change, that would make people regret freezings.

Waiting 1 year isn't going to bother those above any.... Chances are, they froze over a year ago *anyway*, given how not-fast the game changes. And 12 a year isn't going to bother them much, anyway, because again.... The game changes so slowly that its unlikely they'll have tons to unfreeze in most cases.

And the mistakes:

- Freezing and then regretting it for any reason (probably through a change in how you play)

- Freezing due to inexperience

- Freezing the wrong dragon

In most cases of freezing the wrong dragon, it'll be far easier to replace it than to wait any length of time. For the other 3 reasons.... At least you will be able to reverse it, which is more than they can do now. In that case, I don't expect any fuss about the year-long limit (or the 12 per year, or both) from those parties, either.

That just leaves those who would want to unfreeze often, for whatever reason. The only reason I can think of to unfreeze with any frequency (the above actions don't happen all that often.... very infrequently, in fact), is to get around the scroll limits.

tj;dr

Therefore, a long cooldown (with maybe a tight limit) would take those who would abuse it out... while leaving those who this is meant help, helped.

Cheers!

C4.

Oh sure. That's why I did support the 53 week thing. What I don't support is - as you indicate so clearly - the use of it to get around scroll limits.

And what I can't see is why pederino in particular is so keen to be able to freeze dozens every holiday. If he wants them to grow up, he can just - not freeze them. I will not support it as a way to get around scroll limits. I will support it with controls so that it cannot be used that way - as Marie says:

Unfreezing should be a once-in-a-long-while "oops" thing. Like the fact that I froze a frill hatchie before I knew they were going to be discontinued. Or freezing a CB holiday before the limits were changed.

Unfreezing should *not* be "collect more, collect more!", and THAT is why such limitations are a good idea.

Trading to get loads is something quite different, and if you can and do do that - more power to you !

The way I make it, you are actually agreeing with me, cy4....

Edited by fuzzbucket

I do agree with you, I just don't want you to withdraw your support. tongue.gif

There really aren't all that many people who are not in favor of the stronger limits, at least none that have been around in a while....

Cheers!

C4.

I do agree with you, I just don't want you to withdraw your support. tongue.gif

There really aren't all that many people who are not in favor of the stronger limits, at least none that have been around in a while....

Cheers!

C4.

OOOPS. wub.gif

I am in favour - but only VERY limitedly - for MAJOR oopsies, not as a main play style. The scenario outlined by pederino is in my view totally unsupportable.

tj;dr

Cheers!

C4.

I think this sums it up quite nicely. The purpose of this suggestion was never to allow people to evade scroll limits. It was intended to allow people to unfreeze the occasional oops or the historic freezes that were made undesirable by changes in the game.

Whatever limits are put on it need to prevent the former while still allowing the latter. No one should need dozens of unfreezes in a year unless they are abusing it.

I think this sums it up quite nicely. The purpose of this suggestion was never to allow people to evade scroll limits. It was intended to allow people to unfreeze the occasional oops or the historic freezes that were made undesirable by changes in the game.

Whatever limits are put on it need to prevent the former while still allowing the latter. No one should need dozens of unfreezes in a year unless they are abusing it.

Yes, exactly. Honestly 12 could even be too many; I would be fine if we only ended up with half of that. Either way, I hope we get this someday.

I have to agree here.

Why, exactly, do people need to be able to unfreeze with so few restrictions, if not to use it as an in-game-technically-legal way to get around scroll limits?

Unfreezing was intended as, and should be kept as, a suggestion to allow one to undo a regret, correct a mistake.

Maybe the game changed and now you regret something you did under the previous information that what's now possible never would be. Maybe you just naturally had a shift in playstyle. Maybe you were half-asleep and froze the wrong dragon that's hard to replace, or you have some special attachment to that specific one.

Whatever of the legitimate cases, the strong limitations on the feature will still allow for plenty of freedom. People who have been playing for years may have a backlog of things to change, but once that's been sorted (and, honestly, I imagine that's fairly few aside from people who'd unfreeze some holidays that were limited at the time), the option likely won't be used much.

It's not INTENDED to be used often.

I have to question why, exactly, the limitations need to be challenged to allow more frequent use. What, aside from getting around the limits, is there?

If it's genuinely not because you want to use it in a way it isn't intended, then please explain because obviously we're not understanding it.

I want this feature very much, but it MUST have checks and balances to ensure that it isn't abused constantly.

Ok, I will repeat myself again: why add a feature you will use once in a blue moon, and that the fix is wvailable?

Sure, expunge is surely the least used action in the game, but at the moment is the only way to get rid of a zombie. As for a frozen mistake, it is very probable you can replace it unless it is a CB prize or holiday, but then again you can still get offsprings of those breeds from other people, is not actually a big deal (well, except for the prizes, but they are always in another side, so whatever).

And I am sure most of the "mistakes" you guys talk anout are easily replaceable in less than 6 months, even more a year.

But, drifting the topic away, the thing I hate the most in this topic is the solution you gave me to the brokenness of your restrictions: "dont freeze that much for unfreezing later", you are saying to me that you only want this feature to work on specific dragons, the old holidays. You are literally adecuating it to a specific playstyle, one almost only old players can use...

And those other mistakes you mentioned are easily fixed, most of the time, in less than 6 months. Tell me really who has the capability to produce such important dragons they may need more than 2 years for a replace? And more importantly, the possibility of mistakenly freeze it? And dont come to me with the: "but it can happen", yes thats true, and we can also die from a meteorite one day, but what are the odds, really? How often those kind of mistakes or accidents can occur?

And the mistake of freezing by inexperience... thats almost laughable, the possibility of an "inexperienced" or new user to get a so important dragon and then freeze it just to look what it does, well, the chances are slim, very slim.

I only have 1 holiday I kind of like to unfreeze (but is not like I really want to since its a ribbon dancer, dont like that breed too much), I dont like holidays all that much, specially halloween. So the feature would barely affect me, but seriously, why add another useless action? It will not be used after 2 to 3 years top (and I am being optimistic). We already have expunge, splash, and technically kill, and those are used every now and then and can still be used in a far future (even splash, because new players can use it).

Finally I must say I wont support a feature that will only be useful for a certain group (not that my opinion matters all that much, anyway xd.png). And sorry for getting out of the top u.u.

Pederino, you said it yourself, this is supposed to be like expunge. It's NOT supposed to be used often.

And, no, it's not about some type of elitism thing either. Getting seriously tired of people trying to make this a "rich player vs poor player" issue. -___- It's about a way to undo past mistakes. And people DO make them. When I was a new player I froze several 2g metals and stupidly bred my CB metals to ugly high gen mates. New players can and do get their hands on good things and some accidentally get frozen. Older players mess up and freeze the wrong dragons. People freeze dragons that later go on to become very valuable, like almandine pyralspites. And so on and so forth.

Also, just because YOU don't seem to care much about lineages (many of us don't see bred holidays and CB ones as comparable at all in terms of lineage building), doesn't mean other people don't value them highly and deeply regret freezing good ones. And, yes, some of them might be easier to replace than wait a year, but others might not. Really awesome lineages from the AP that you don't know who bred, low gen prizes the breeder won't replace, metals that are hard to breed, etc etc. There are plenty of cases that make this valid.

This suggestion has a point. More of a point than expunge, in my opinion. And it not being something that's used every day isn't a flaw, it's the POINT of the whole thing. A way to fix real mistakes even if it takes a long time, not a way to cheat around the limits or laugh at accidents.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Ok, I will repeat myself again: why add a feature you will use once in a blue moon, and that the fix is wvailable?

Sure, expunge is surely the least used action in the game, but at the moment is the only way to get rid of a zombie. As for a frozen mistake, it is very probable you can replace it unless it is a CB prize or holiday, but then again you can still get offsprings of those breeds from other people, is not actually a big deal (well, except for the prizes, but they are always in another side, so whatever).

And I am sure most of the "mistakes" you guys talk anout are easily replaceable in less than 6 months, even more a year.

The primary "mistakes" this is aimed at:

Frozens which were made BEFORE a major game change.

Those people froze those hatchies with the expectation that conditions that applied when they froze that hatchie would continue to apply. So it wasn't really a mistake at all, but rather, a reasoned choice who's parameters were later drastically changed.

Examples:

That the only way to get a frozen of a Holiday was to freeze a CB.

That Frills / Bright Pinks would be staying around forever, so there's no reason not to freeze a CB

That Frills would never come back, so that freezing that nice lineage you had on hand when they were pulled was the only way to keep them (after years of "no", their spriter is willing to consider bringing them back).

That that unbreedable Pumpkin would stay unbreedable, and the only way to get a frozen was to freeze a CB.

So, this isn't aimed at "oops I froze the wrong hatchie", this is aimed at giving people a way to change a decision they made when the conditions they made them under change drastically.

And normally, I'm dead AGAINST any way to get around the scroll limits. But in this case, I think the reward is worth the risk.... so long as there are strong limits.

Cheers!

C4.

Ok Pederino, let's take your suggestions. Assuming that I decide to freeze 16 Halloween dragons, then 16 Chrismas ones, then 16 Valentines ones. So I wait the time to get my unfreezes back, also for my frozen babies to come off cooldown (for the sake of this example I don't freeze anything else in that time). By the time I've unfrozen eight of my 16 Halloween hatchlings, it's already Halloween again! Your own suggestions are easily as 'broken' as the suggestion that has the most support.

No offense but I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Edited by silver_chan

And, no, it's not about some type of elitism thing either. Getting seriously tired of people trying to make this a "rich player vs poor player" issue. -___- It's about a way to undo past mistakes. And people DO make them.

I do not think that the focus was on elitism. What happened was that a few posters were focusing on the "abuse" of freezing that would lead to advantages on filling scrolls with new releases, in particular Halloweens. That point was countered by: "guess what, the same outcome is already available for people with a scroll full of valuable dragons, whose eggs can be easily traded for a bunch of those new releases".

There is no "fix" available for a mistaken frozen, or a regretted frozen.

Replace is NOT the same as fixing. They are two entirely different methods to go about hopefully reaching the same result.

Especially as a number of items this could be used on are not, in fact, replaceable.

There is no "fix" available for a mistaken frozen, or a regretted frozen.

Replace is NOT the same as fixing. They are two entirely different methods to go about hopefully reaching the same result.

Especially as a number of items this could be used on are not, in fact, replaceable.

Agreeing with this post right here. For example, the old Pink hatchie I froze...I have one adult, one hatchie but since I don't collect frozen hatchies, the ability to unfreeze my second gen Old Pink would be amazing.

I have a few other hatchies I froze for one reason or another and wouldn't mind being able to unfreeze now...but the Old Pink is not replaceable at all.

Anyway bringing up how useful BSAs are doesn't really hold water. I have never used Expunge and I don't plan to; I worked to hard to get rid of my undead dragons just like that. But to some who wanted desperately to get rid of their unwanted zombies, it was a much needed and desired BSA. Now that they have used it they likely will not again, or it will be used rarely in any case.

Likewise, there are some people who, for whatever reason decide they want to unfreeze one of their hatchlings. Maybe it's got a nice code and they'd like to breed it, maybe it's got a lineage they like, maybe they just want as many of that dragon as possible, maybe it's super rare and/or retired. It doesn't really matter. The point is that some people really want the BSA and others will never use it or think it utterly pointless. Obviously I really want it to happen, because I have a single dragon I want to unfreeze. It was a mistake to freeze this dragon, and I have no idea how I managed to freeze it, but I would like it to grow up.

If that's the only mistake I make playing this game I'll be surprised, lol.

Pederino, you said it yourself, this is supposed to be like expunge. It's NOT supposed to be used often.

And, no, it's not about some type of elitism thing either. Getting seriously tired of people trying to make this a "rich player vs poor player" issue. -___- It's about a way to undo past mistakes. And people DO make them. When I was a new player I froze several 2g metals and stupidly bred my CB metals to ugly high gen mates. New players can and do get their hands on good things and some accidentally get frozen. Older players mess up and freeze the wrong dragons. People freeze dragons that later go on to become very valuable, like almandine pyralspites. And so on and so forth.

Also, just because YOU don't seem to care much about lineages (many of us don't see bred holidays and CB ones as comparable at all in terms of lineage building), doesn't mean other people don't value them highly and deeply regret freezing good ones. And, yes, some of them might be easier to replace than wait a year, but others might not. Really awesome lineages from the AP that you don't know who bred, low gen prizes the breeder won't replace, metals that are hard to breed, etc etc. There are plenty of cases that make this valid.

This suggestion has a point. More of a point than expunge, in my opinion. And it not being something that's used every day isn't a flaw, it's the POINT of the whole thing. A way to fix real mistakes even if it takes a long time, not a way to cheat around the limits or laugh at accidents.

Thanks ADP - beautifully stated.

The big thing for me is irreplaceable CBs - past holidays (frozen under the old limit which was later lifted, which was a HUGE change) and OPs and frills. It could also be useful for accidents - and there don't need to be a lot of unfreezes available; accidents don't happen daily. It's amazing how making one mistake sharpens your wits next time (looks sadly at autoed egg from yesrterday sad.gif but no, I don't think an "Oops, retrieve" BSA would be a good idea. xd.png)

Pederino - you still haven't said why you want to freeze so many ? Because the ONLY real reason to do so is to get around scroll limits.

NOT a CB holiday you just caught from this year, for instance.

Not a lovely 2 gen shimmer you found in the AP.

Not the eggs people breed me from their OPs, for my lineage - not everyone is prepared to do it again for someone who froze their gift...

Things like that are not that easily replaced. Not everyone puts their scroll name on their stuff (I don't) so no-one could ask me for a replacement, for instance.

Pederino - you still haven't said why you want to freeze so many ? Because the ONLY real reason to do so is to get around scroll limits.

I have to say that this dancing around stating a reason to freeze this many is making me think it really is just to abuse this to bypass scroll limits, which is very, very, VERY clearly exactly why the various restrictions were proposed.

I would also add that some dragons may simply have a special emotional attachment to that specific dragon. Maybe you really like the code, maybe it was a gift from somebody very dear to you, maybe it was your first of what's since become your absolute favorite breed.

Things like that don't have to be "rich player" things--it could be a very common dragon, something readily available. But getting a new one doesn't suddenly transfer the attachment or significance behind it to the new dragon.

I have to say that this dancing around stating a reason to freeze this many is making me think it really is just to abuse this to bypass scroll limits, which is very, very, VERY clearly exactly why the various restrictions were proposed.

I would also add that some dragons may simply have a special emotional attachment to that specific dragon.  Maybe you really like the code, maybe it was a gift from somebody very dear to you, maybe it was your first of what's since become your absolute favorite breed.

Things like that don't have to be "rich player" things--it could be a very common dragon, something readily available.  But getting a new one doesn't suddenly transfer the attachment or significance behind it to the new dragon.

Quite.

I regret a CB frozen red dorsal - simply because I now need a lot, and I hadn't decided to breed them when I froze it.

That's ALL. (I couldn't bear to freeze CB holidays - and MAN am I glad I didn't now that I can breed up more !)

Pederino - please tell me WHY you (or anyone else, but specifically you, as you are so keen on this) would ever want to freeze so many. Just - exactly WHY you cannot just keep them as hatchies till they grow up ? Or leave them frozen - whichever. If you can't explain - then I have to agree that it looks like a simple attempt to bypass limits on your part.

Not ONE person in this thread has said yay let's be able to freeze zillions and unfreeze them soon afterwards. One person HAS said that if the facility were there he would use it to break limits. And then said that that's why there should BE limits. But other than that - you are the ONLY person who thinks it should be easy and frequently available - a few people think the restrictions are a LITTLE harsh, but you are the only one who is so gung-ho about it. Unless I am having a brain fart here.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Unless I see a compelling reason (written down in this very thread) why the proposed limits are "broken" or will only benefit the "rich", I prefer to not believe in pederino's argument.

~Removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

You make an excellent point. Someone wants virtually unrestricted freeze/unfreezes. Most of us don't. I have the impression most of us in this thread want unfreezing to be possible - but with very strict limits. That's about it ?

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by fuzzbucket

Unless I see a compelling reason (written down in this very thread) why the proposed limits are "broken" or will only benefit the "rich", I prefer to not believe in pederino's argument.

Well not so much the "rich" but really only the older players in this thread. While I just personally feel that 53 weeks is excessive no matter the "but the scroll limits" fear mongering, I really don't care. I kind of also see Pedrinos point. The only ones to benefit from this suggestion are:

-people who froze CB holidays before the ability to hoard bred dragons was implemented increasing their ability for 2nd gens and thus possibly increasing their trade offers.

-People who froze retired dragons such as frills/bright pinks that while offspring are not in high demand are still valuable due to certain rarity and unavailability.

-People up to those who have recently won prizes or HMs that they would like to unfreeze for breeding and there for gifting/trading.

Anything other than the above is quite basically and generally replaceable. This is where my previous question of "Once all the mistakes are reversed, what is left?" Nothing really. Once all the players unfreeze what benefits them in the trading market the most then its done. Anything else can be replaced through trading or hunting the cave. No need to wait a whole year after unfreezing for a gold that through a few weeks of IOUing the right person can be replaced. No point in waiting a whole year for a Xeno when again through trading, IOU, or hunting can be replaced. The only one I can see continuously benefiting from this suggestion is those who regret freezing their GoNs. Other than that this suggestion will remain as a year long method of circumventing limits. While most wont wait that year, I'm sure once all is said and done, ya'll who keep openly admitting you would abuse it still would. Sure it would take a year, but I have no doubts you wouldnt do it. As I'm sure there will be many others who will also not care about the year long wait and still abuse the limits with it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler