LibbyLishly

Unfreezing

I still don't see why anyone would want to collect that many holidays... CB Halloweens I can see why, but lineaged holidays just confuses me. Again that's just me.

Me, too xd.png

So if unfreezing was implemented, some people would exploit it and catch a couple more lineaged holidays, at most 16. Why not let them? The wall of eggs is big enough, it's not a real issue. Users already exploit game mechanics when they freeze a lot of hatchies before reaching the next trophy level. Freezing and unfreezing lineaged holidays is very similar in my opinion - it's a very mild exploit, jut like the trophy level thing.

Edited by Ha-Ki

Me, too xd.png

So if unfreezing was implemented, some people would exploit it and catch a couple more lineaged holidays, at most 16. Why not let them? The wall of eggs is big enough, it's not a real issue. Users already exploit game mechanics when they freeze a lot of hatchies before reaching the next trophy level. Freezing and unfreezing lineaged holidays is very similar in my opinion - it's a very mild exploit, jut like the trophy level thing.

It is an issue for all the people who'll not be able to get another batch or two just because other people who got there first could circumvent their limits and more than double the amount of eggs they could take. Let's not forget that *everyone* and their 2nd cousin would probably use freezing-unfreezing as a way to get more than they should.

I wouldn't mind 1-2 unfreeze actions in 3-4 months or even in a year I just want this to get implemented so I can right my wrongs sad.gif

http://dragcave.net/lineage/hQs9V ~ the regret is real...

If this is the problem, why not ask TJ to let us unfroze our hatchlings during a certain period of time, lets say, you have 1 month to unfroze the hatchlings you want, after that there will be no more unfreezings. It would be just an action that will be available for frozen hatchling.

Sincerely (and again), if we are going to add something we will use once in a blue moon due to its restriction (which will make it almost useless), why add it at all? I mean, instead of adding a new useless function we can easily "ask for forgiveness" (I hope you understand this expression, is just that english is not my native language, so I cant express my ideas all too well) and ask to amend past mistakes.

Exactly. Today, the 6th of November, I was still able to catch nice Halloweens. And I mean 2G Halloweens released several years ago. There's more than enough for everybody.

I think 12 unfreezes a year is fine.

People wouldn't be able to really exploit it for Halloweens because, well, to get extra hatchies to freeze to begin with you'd have already had to arrange for trades with other people, and it'd be just as easy (and more instantly rewarding) to ask for them to simply drop them off shortly before they grow up instead of freezing then waiting months.

Now, yes, people could use it for 12 lineaged Halloweens--but doing so means they can't use those "extra spaces" during Christmas, Valentines, or even during hectic mass breed releases like the birthday event a couple years back where there's more breeds to grab than spaces to hold them all. They'd also of course have to give up using unfreeze for unfreezing anything they really regretted freezing.

With these things in mind, I don't think it's a big issue. If people are still worried, even six unfreezes a year is a workable number. Or even four a year if you want to be super extreme. But I think 12 is just fine. smile.gif

I haven't had a trade off for a random 2g Halloween in a couple days. Not even for a messy lunar when there were tons going through the AP that were hatchable. I think the fear over people hoarding them is probably overstated.

5 unfreeze only for any kind. and it should be 2 more days before the dragon dies. And if you want it again, then wait a year. I was also having this idea because my sister was viewing dragon cave for a second and accidentally freezed one due to curiosity.

like if the dragon just turned into a hatchling and you wanted to freeze it, you unfreeze it and it will turn into 2 days instead of the days it had.

Or another example of the same

5 unfreeze on any kind of dragon. ( Choose Wisely! )

1 year per getting 5 unfreezes.

And if someone joined before the new year, they get 0 unfreezes until the next year to make it fair.

If freezes are not all used by the end of the year, then they will go to waist. ( But you will get the 5 freezes again )

Edited by kipper

I would be quite a happy camper if all the people that froze their CB Holidays were able to unfreeze them. That would mean that more 2nd Gens could be bred and find their way in our scrolls.

If people aren't a fan of frozen hatchies taking up scroll space for a little bit, that's fine. It was just an alternative option that I found less restrictive than the like 4 proposed restrictions acting together on unfreezing. xP Like I said, though, I don't freeze things, so I don't care really if it goes one way or another (restriction freezing vs restricting unfreezing). But I bow to everyone who doesn't like frozen hatchies taking up space. Consider the suggestion withdrawn.

NotBambi - the reason this first came up is because holiday limits were changed - in the past you could only have two, bred or CB, THE END - so that those who desperately wanted - say - a Holly hatchie on their scroll could only have one adult and had to "waste" a CB. Now that the limits have been changed, they could unfreeze that and have it available to breed (which would be lovely for everyone !) and freeze a bred one instead.

As you came to the game after the limits changed, I think, you may have missed this ? I'm lucky - I never froze a holiday CB, but I can totally get where those who did are coming from.

I feel like I definitely missed something because NotBambi was saying that things should be able to be unfrozen. o.o What am I misreading?

The rate of freezing and unfreezing are inextricably linked. By its very nature, you *must* Freeze before you can UnFreeze. Therefore, if you unfroze the instant you could, you would be limited to 16 every two weeks.... because that's how fast you can freeze them. Oh sure, you could in theory freeze 32 dragons over the course of 1 month and then unfreeze all 32 at once.... But then, to do so, 16 of the hatchies would have been "available" to unfreeze for 2 weeks.... and you wouldn't have any *more* frozens to unfreeze for 2 more weeks, when the 3rd set you froze is available for unfreezing.

Um. In other words, because you can only FREEZE at a rate of 8 a week (16 every other week), you can only UNFREEZE at a rate of 8 a week. Oh sure, you can do them all in one lump.... But at the end of the day, you will not be able to unfreeze faster than you can freeze.... which is 8 a week.

Cheers!

C4.

I bolded where I'm hung on on your post.

Because the suggestions thus far have been:

-Limited unfreezes a year (11-12/year)

-Year long cooldown (16/year)

I can't find anywhere (recently) where anyone has been for unfreezing at the same rate you can freeze things? Or are you just explaining how unfreeze and free are linked? Because I understand that. That was kinda my point. If unfreezing is too worrisome for its potential for abuse - naturally, freezing is also going to be abused. No, not 100% of the time - but then again, I have a hard time believing that unfreezing would be abused 100% of the time as well.

In any case, I am beginning to think we just shouldn't be able to unfreeze at all. Let's skip all these restrictions and just not implement it. The restrictions are to make abuse minimal but not implementing would make abuse impossible.

Wait 16 freezes? I thought it was 10 per two weeks... Where is 16 coming from?

Freezing scales with trophy level: +2 for each trophy gained. I'm fairly certain I brought it up with TJ that the help page needed updated a long time ago, but I could be mistaken. I'll report that the help page is out of date still.

If this is the problem, why not ask TJ to let us unfroze our hatchlings during a certain period of time, lets say, you have 1 month to unfroze the hatchlings you want, after that there will be no more unfreezings. It would be just an action that will be available for frozen hatchling.

This is probably the fairest compromise I've seen. Perhaps a limit of 1 for each VDay and Christmas that has passed, as the original suggestion was for cb holidays people froze when we were limited to 2 total VDay and Christmas dragons. People could choose what to unfreeze in that month or so, but would be limited technically by that number (whatever it is, I'm too lazy for the math right now). Or even just a link that would unfreeze all (cb if possible) Christmas and VDay dragons. So you either click it and agree to unfreeze everything or don't and agree to leave everything frozen.

Then this is used for what it was meant for and we're done.

TJ already shot down having unfreeze solely for undoing regretted holiday freezings, though. That's the main reason this thread exists.

I still haven't seen anyone convince me that the risk of people using it for 12 extra hatchie slots each year is a big deal. Especially not when you'd have to get them to hatchie stage to begin with, and when using all those slots at once means you can't use them for other holidays or releases that year.

I still haven't seen anyone convince me that the risk of people using it for 12 extra hatchie slots each year is a big deal. Especially not when you'd have to get them to hatchie stage to begin with, and when using all those slots at once means you can't use them for other holidays or releases that year.

Because it probably got lost in the shuffle, I'll just repeat that I see no issues with these "extra" cb Halloweens. People get upwards of 40 - 70 through trading. So what if we get 12 via unfreezing. xP

In any case, I am beginning to think we just shouldn't be able to unfreeze at all. Let's skip all these restrictions and just not implement it. The restrictions are to make abuse minimal but not implementing would make abuse impossible.

TBH, "instead of finding restrictions to minimize abuse let's just not" is probably the worst possible argument against trying to find a way to implement this.

If it can be abused, somebody will find a way. If they can't abuse it, somebody will still outright cheat to get around the limitations currently in place.

TBH, "instead of finding restrictions to minimize abuse let's just not" is probably the worst possible argument against trying to find a way to implement this.

If it can be abused, somebody will find a way. If they can't abuse it, somebody will still outright cheat to get around the limitations currently in place.

My point is that all these restrictions are ridiculous. I don't see why we need to have so many combined restrictions when one will do. So yes, I would rather it not be implemented at all if people are going to go the complex route.

People cheat now. They will cheat if this is implemented. It's really neither here nor there in discussing this. Scrolls found to be cheating should be burned.

The initial CB releases for Christmas and Valentine's is still limited to two anyways, so there's no way to freeze/unfreeze your way to have more CB's of those than anyone else. The CB Halloweens feel like a moot point, considering that the whole idea is that there is no imposed limit to them.

And besides holiday events, using unfreeze on anything else? Not a big deal, imho. I have some nicely frozen xenowyrms, for example. If they were unfrozen and insta-adulted, it'd basically be like I forgot about breeding them this whole time.

I think the only real way to counteract the skirting of scroll limits is not to have enough unfreezes for it to save you a huge chunk of time from freeing up hatchie slots. All of my ungendered frozen hatchies, for example, I froze immediately after hatching. If you assume they would have all grown up at the 4 day mark, that's three extra days I don't have to hold onto them. With 16 unfreezes a year as proposed, that's 48 days that I have freed up one hatchie slot, 24 days that I've had two slots open, or 12 days I've had three slots open. Or there's the way I actually did them, two batches of seven and a third batch of the remaining two, so 7 slots open for six days and 2 slots open for three days.

If you have a gold trophy and only do everything in waves of 7 (ie 7 eggs and the 7 hatchies from the previous batch) you have seven hatchie slots open 365 days in a year. Time saved from unfreezing? Irrelevant, really. You'd have to give me the power to unfreeze all 400+ of my frozen hatchies at once to make it feel like I got a head start on everyone else, which would clearly never happen.

I don't know where that argument about "CB Halloweens" is coming from. I'm definitely not arguing on behalf of CBs, because clearly, they're not the issue. The issue is about the (incu-)hatchable eggs that turn up in the AP after the event. Because they can be hatched really quickly, and thus fill up hatchie slots faster than you'd think. Giving someone 16 extra slots with the freezing and later unfreezing action seems kind of a lot.

And, as I've stated before, people already have those 16 slots - but only for freezing. Most players use the ugly-lineaged (or "unorthodox" lineages) for freezing fodder, but raise the clean-lineaged dragons. Which, IMHO, is a very good thing because it helps clear the AP of the stuff most people wouldn't want for any other purpose but, well, frozens. However, if we could unfreeze pretty much without limits - or limits that far surpass 16 slots * 3 events a year = 48 unfreezes - we'd create a situation where most people wouldn't hunt for freezing fodder any more, keeping the AP full of the far less desirable eggs. Plus, there'd be more people hunting for the nicer lineages for obvious reasons. And it's not just Halloween, but also the other two events. It's true that Winter Holiday of Choice and Valentine walls aren't quite as severe as Halloween, but they're only 2, maybe 3 years behind Halloween - if they aren't already catching up.

Edited by olympe

I bolded where I'm hung on on your post.

Because the suggestions thus far have been:

-Limited unfreezes a year (11-12/year)

-Year long cooldown (16/year)

I can't find anywhere (recently) where anyone has been for unfreezing at the same rate you can freeze things? Or are you just explaining how unfreeze and free are linked? Because I understand that. That was kinda my point. If unfreezing is too worrisome for its potential for abuse - naturally, freezing is also going to be abused. No, not 100% of the time - but then again, I have a hard time believing that unfreezing would be abused 100% of the time as well.

This is probably the fairest compromise I've seen. Perhaps a limit of 1 for each VDay and Christmas that has passed, as the original suggestion was for cb holidays people froze when we were limited to 2 total VDay and Christmas dragons. People could choose what to unfreeze in that month or so, but would be limited technically by that number (whatever it is, I'm too lazy for the math right now). Or even just a link that would unfreeze all (cb if possible) Christmas and VDay dragons. So you either click it and agree to unfreeze everything or don't and agree to leave everything frozen.

Then this is used for what it was meant for and we're done.

You missed my point, pretty much completely. Lemme use an example....

IF unfreezing were to be implemented with no restrictions or cooldowns at all (ie, you can unfreeze the day after you froze), how many hatchies can you unfreeze in 1 week?

As many as you like, would be a common answer.

And that's WRONG

You can only UNFREEZE what you have already FROZEN. And Freezing is limited to 8 per week. Therefore, you can only UNFREEZE 8 in a week on average.

Because unfreezing must, by definition, follow freezing, then the limits already on freezing already limit unfreezing. After all, you cannot unfreeze something that isn't already frozen!

Yes, you could "save up" the unfreezes by freezing and not unfreezing for several months. But you are not USING those unfreezes during that time, and at the end of 8 weeks, sure you can unfreeze 64 hatchies... But that STILL means that you've unfrozen an average of 8 each week.

Because of this, I'm still in favor of the simple method of a 1 year wait after freezing + insta adult. The primary reason I think this *should* be implemented is to handle changes in the game, which historically happen slowly. Right now, some people can have up to 10 frozen CB Holidays on their scroll from before the CHristmas / Valentine limit changes. If you limit them to some ridiculously small number a year (say 5), then it'll take them TWO YEARS to unfreeze what they froze in good faith. But if you limit it to a 1 year cooldown, everything that was previously frozen can be un-frozen. Same for newbies! They are very likely to use all the unfreezes before they have a full grasp of the game, and would end up having to wait a year anyway, so... what's the difference?

And.... having 5 or 10 unfreezes only in a given year would, from a HOARDING perspective, be a MUCH nicer option than having to wait a year! Why? Because I can freeze as needed at Halloween... then unfreeze immediately afterwards. Whereas if I had to wait a full year for that hatchie to come off cooldown.... You'd better believe I'd think twice! Most of my dragons are lineages that I want to use (and need as adults to create the bloodswap material needed to continue them), and.... I can't use them if they are stuck frozen for a year.

tl;dr

- Because Freezing is limited, and unfreezing requires first freezing, freezing's limits apply automatically to unfreezing.

- Limiting it to x a year is far, far more likely to be abused for getting around the scroll limits than a year's wait. People usually get dragons that they want to use to continue lineages.... and if they are frozen for a year, that kinda makes it hard to continue them. Whereas a flat limit means they can use them right away after the season (or a short time afterwards).

Cheers!

C4.

I don't know where that argument about "CB Halloweens" is coming from. I'm definitely not arguing on behalf of CBs, because clearly, they're not the issue. The issue is about the (incu-)hatchable eggs that turn up in the AP after the event. Because they can be hatched really quickly, and thus fill up hatchie slots faster than you'd think. Giving someone 16 extra slots with the freezing and later unfreezing action seems kind of a lot.

And, as I've stated before, people already have those 16 slots - but only for freezing. Most players use the ugly-lineaged (or "unorthodox" lineages) for freezing fodder, but raise the clean-lineaged dragons. Which, IMHO, is a very good thing because it helps clear the AP of the stuff most people wouldn't want for any other purpose but, well, frozens. However, if we could unfreeze pretty much without limits - or limits that far surpass 16 slots * 3 events a year = 48 unfreezes - we'd create a situation where most people wouldn't hunt for freezing fodder any more, keeping the AP full of the far less desirable eggs. Plus, there'd be more people hunting for the nicer lineages for obvious reasons. And it's not just Halloween, but also the other two events. It's true that Winter Holiday of Choice and Valentine walls aren't quite as severe as Halloween, but they're only 2, maybe 3 years behind Halloween - if they aren't already catching up.

Probably because we've got about five conversations going on at once. xP

Without unfreezing, I still grabbed 19 bred Halloweens after new Halloweens dropped - which is more than I grabbed during the actual week of breeding (14). I really have no problem if people grab more new Halloweens or past bred Halloweens than I, whether due to trading or to freezing. I still grabbed plenty myself.

I'm sure some people would still hunt for freezing fodder. As well, some people genuinely like "messy" lineages.

I also think it is important to take into account the proposed restrictions.

-If you can only unfreeze 12 a year, that means that it would take 4 years to unfreeze everything you potentially wanted to breed - just from one year of grabbing holidays. That's going to build up quickly if you only grab stuff to unfreeze later.

So rather than 48 unfreezes, you have 48 freezes and 12 unfreezes. That leaves you with 4 things to unfreeze per event and 44 spaces for freezing fodder you don't want to unfreeze.

-If you have to wait one year to unfreeze, that means it would be two years before you could breed more holidays from the nice ones you froze.

So you have 48 unfreezes, but you have to judge if the two year breeding limit for holidays is worth it or if you want to spend some of your freezes on freezing fodder.

-snip because you have a nice long post and my reply is way too short-

tl;dr

- Because Freezing is limited, and unfreezing requires first freezing, freezing's limits apply automatically to unfreezing.

- Limiting it to x a year is far, far more likely to be abused for getting around the scroll limits than a year's wait. People usually get dragons that they want to use to continue lineages.... and if they are frozen for a year, that kinda makes it hard to continue them. Whereas a flat limit means they can use them right away after the season (or a short time afterwards).

Cheers!

C4.

Okay, I think I get your point now (thanks for expanding!), but see above my response to olympe. Which is why I think a flat rate is fine.

I mean, I think a year's wait is a fine alternative, but I still honestly have no problem with a flat rate and do prefer it. xP

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I also think it is important to take into account the proposed restrictions.

-If you can only unfreeze 12 a year, that means that it would take 4 years to unfreeze everything you potentially wanted to breed - just from one year of grabbing holidays. That's going to build up quickly if you only grab stuff to unfreeze later.

So rather than 48 unfreezes, you have 48 freezes and 12 unfreezes. That leaves you with 4 things to unfreeze per event and 44 spaces for freezing fodder you don't want to unfreeze.

-If you have to wait one year to unfreeze, that means it would be two years before you could breed more holidays from the nice ones you froze.

So you have 48 unfreezes, but you have to judge if the two year breeding limit for holidays is worth it or if you want to spend some of your freezes on freezing fodder.

And that's why I'm dead set against a "limit" of 5 or more unfreezes a month. Because I really want unfreezing to be very limited overall.

Personally, a one-year waiting period before unfreezing wouldn't faze me. I've been playing this game for 6 years now, and I intend to play for a long time yet to come. In any case, I'm unable to breed and keep all of my holiday lineages every year, so having to wait another year doesn't really hurt me.

I'd say the only chance of ever having this implemented would be to go with this from cyradis4's suggestions in the OP.

Every 31 days, you have an option to unFreeze one dragon which has been Frozen a year or more previously.

It grows up instantly and is thus untradeable.

If it's a Holiday unFrozen in its breeding season, it's incapable of breeding during that 1st Holiday season, just as all newly adult Holidays are.

What could possibly be simpler and make more sense?

Let me see if I understand the mechanisms... the unfreezing part would apply to every breed, not just Holidays, correct? As cyradis4 pointed out you can only unfreeze what you froze, so there's a limit of 8 per week. Not only, if the hatchling was unfrozen at exactly the same age it was frozen, it would use a slot, so while it is there, you can't have others, another limit.

I must be a big dense because I still don't understand what is the problem, why some people are so against unfreezing. If the issue are the incuhatchable eggs post event... how are them an issue? This time TJ allowed older eggs to show up but, from the posts I read, that was a new thing. Normally they would have died. Period. So how are them an issue?

What is the logical link between being able to unfreeze and stop hunting for freezing fodder? I do not know (who does?) about most players but, personally, I do not use "unorthodox" lineages for anything (with a few exceptions - i.e. BSA), the unorthodox goes back to the AP. I don't tell people what to breed. At the same time, if people decide to breed far less desirable eggs, I don't see how is my problem to "clear the AP" or the AP full of those undesirable eggs. And, as demonstrated this time, was not a problem: desirable or not, they all went. In particular because many (including myself) hatched those eggs and dropped them back.

Let me see if I understand the mechanisms... the unfreezing part would apply to every breed, not just Holidays, correct? As cyradis4 pointed out you can only unfreeze what you froze, so there's a limit of 8 per week. Not only, if the hatchling was unfrozen at exactly the same age it was frozen, it would use a slot, so while it is there, you can't have others, another limit.

I must be a big dense because I still don't understand what is the problem, why some people are so against unfreezing.  If the issue are the incuhatchable eggs post event... how are them an issue? This time TJ allowed older eggs to show up but, from the posts I read, that was a new thing. Normally they would have died. Period. So how are them an issue?

What is the logical link between being able to unfreeze and stop hunting for freezing fodder? I do not know (who does?) about most players but, personally, I do not use "unorthodox" lineages for anything (with a few exceptions - i.e. BSA), the unorthodox goes back to the AP. I don't tell people what to breed. At the same time, if people decide to breed far less desirable eggs, I don't see how is my problem to "clear the AP" or the AP full of those undesirable eggs. And, as demonstrated this time, was not a problem: desirable or not, they all went. In particular because many (including myself) hatched those eggs and dropped them back.

I think the point has to do with people being able to circumvent scroll restrictions, rather than selective unFreezing of dragons they wish hadn't Frozen in the first place.

Where dragons are limited/difficult for most to obtain in the first place, enabling the fastest catchers to load up on additional bred Holidays/hard-to-catch dragons by essentially placing them in short-term storage until they have room to unFreeze them comes at a cost to other members, one which would spoil the game for many.

I think the point has to do with people being able to circumvent scroll restrictions, rather than selective unFreezing of dragons they wish hadn't Frozen in the first place.

Where dragons are limited/difficult for most to obtain in the first place, enabling the fastest catchers to load up on additional bred Holidays/hard-to-catch dragons by essentially placing them in short-term storage until they have room to unFreeze them comes at a cost to other members, one which would spoil the game for many.

There are a bunch of assumptions there.

First of all, please clarify which scroll restrictions would be circumvented.

Now let's try the realistic approach: the fastest catchers will always get the best of what is available, they do not need the storage mostly because there are really few "best" available, no need to freeze those few.

With a few (statistically) exceptions, what arrives in the AP is what the breeders didn't want to keep for themselves, were not able to trade, didn't gift to friends etc.

What I'm trying to say here is: there is NOT, at a given time, enough awesome out-of-this-world stuff in the AP to overfill a scroll.

When there is nice enough stuff, for example bred Holidays, there is enough for everybody and their sisters.

Edited by NotBambi

There are a bunch of assumptions there.

First of all, please clarify which scroll restrictions would be circumvented.

The 7 eggs (with gold) one. Catch 7 eggs, incubate, hatch, freeze and you can get another 7. Rinse and repeat and you have 21 of the new - or whatever - eggs. (you can even get two more, if you are quick enough, as the freeze limit is 16.) Sure, you will have to wait for 14 of them to be unfrozen and breedable - but you have got around the limit.

Since you ask biggrin.gif

The 7 eggs (with gold) one. Catch 7 eggs, incubate, hatch, freeze and you can get another 7. Rinse and repeat and you have 21 of the new - or whatever - eggs. (you can even get two more, if you are quick enough, as the freeze limit is 16.)  Sure, you will have to wait for 14 of them to be unfrozen and breedable - but you have got around the limit.

Since you ask biggrin.gif

But... that limit does not exist. Each of us could have potentially caught (with a lot of dedication) 35 new eggs during the drop in the cave, abandoning 28 of them. Two days later would have been potentially possible to catch, hatch and abandon dozens of new eggs, sending them to the queue and keep 14. That's already 21. By the time that those 21 grow up, would have been possible to catch abandoned hatchies (I saw two today!) in the AP to add to the "bounty".

Edit: I did not consider the trading factor in the equation but, since many traders keep their eggs without views until they can, there are, potentially, still a bunch of new hatchies available.

Edited by NotBambi

It does if you want CBs and want to keep them. You cannot rely on finding CB new eggs in the AP. But catching from the CAVE and hatching and freezing works.

Edited by fuzzbucket