Spark-Dragon

Same Sex Breeding/Adoption

Sorry, but no support from me. I'm perfectly fine if you describe dragons who partner up and adopt an egg, but a cave function for this not so much. I think it's too much work/too complicated for the cave. Although, I would be okay with a compromise like this:

So this is adorable, but maybe instead of lineages it could add another little link to the dragons page? Like it could say adoptive parents or something.

If you care so much about fictional families that you want some type of adoption note, why not just write a description...? I don't think anything more is needed than that.

There was an idea Herk posted somewhere about being able to link dragons descriptions to dragons mentioned in their description. I am going to be lazy and not go find the link, but it shouldn't be hard. This seems like it would tie into this idea very well.

That way you could link your dragons, link their relationship, and link their adopted children. Frankly most dragon "parents" suck if you look at the domesticated ones. Most of their babies just get Dumped in the AP. Adoption is a pretty standard process of rearing young be it with a single, paired, group, or entire colony of dragons. Regardless of gender or lack thereof. As cheese and paper and dinos can adopt and raise dragons just as easily. And so can chickens.

I'd recommend speaking with any member of the Jipci family. Actually I wouldn't because they are stark raving lunatics, but you will find them highly entertaining.

Edited by natayah

Enabling html links in descriptions should solve this rather neatly. Don't know how much coding it'd require to make the [ url=www.blah]Rainbow Sparkle Sunshine[/url] to show up in the descriptions like bbcode, but that could be a great compromise.

I suppose it would work if it kept the original lineage, but on the Dragon's page a 'Adopted by ________ and ________' would maybe make sense.

Even then, some DC breeds aren't the type to adopt stray eggs and hatchlings, and if the artists wish for their species to stay true to their descriptions then we would have to limit what Dragons could and all. :0

It is perfectly possible to "adopt" through description alone. Heck, I wasn't even having the idea of "adoption" in mind when I wrote those and they still came awfully close. I'm certain there are no rules against describing a dragon as being adopted by others.

This suggestion is just another unjustified and redundant fancy feature which function is already covered by implemented features.

There was an idea Herk posted somewhere about being able to link dragons descriptions to dragons mentioned in their description. I am going to be lazy and not go find the link, but it shouldn't be hard. This seems like it would tie into this idea very well.

Here you go. happy.gifInter-linking Descriptions

I don't support this idea, for reasons which have already been stated. As a Cave function it just seems unnecessary. Descriptions are a better alternative in my opinion since you can also talk about why or how they were adopted... Especially if there were links. wink.gif

I don't think the game needs a mechanism for adoption, either same-sex or otherwise.

Hm...maybe instead of adoption this could be a function for a dragon type?

With my dragons, adoption is rare, namely because the child rearing is communal. The hatchlings are watched by the adults (most of them anyway, some don't care or are not quite the best for babysitting).

They don't 'adopt' hatchlings or eggs, okay maybe they do in some terms but each community (or group as I separated them) watches the hatchlings.

This is a little broad since it applies to a big setting that is kind of difficult to apply, but this would be an awesome dragon breed.

This suggestion strikes me as nothing more than someone's attempt to include an endorsement of homosexuality in the game -- while that's fine in and of itself, it's highly silly and unnecessary here.

Edited by digipup

I don't support. Breeding mechanics on breeding games are not supposed to be all-inclusive; they're supposed to be practical. If you want your dragons to be homosexual and adopt offspring, you can write it in their descriptions and/or play the characters on the roleplaying forum.

As far as the idea of adopting is concerned, why is it important that the adopted egg gets its lineage overwritten? So that something with a messy inbred lineage can somehow be 'cleansed'? The idea of a creature's dna being magically altered strikes me as odd, and trying to make your eggs more valuable a bad incentive for any suggestion.

As to same sex breeding, I don't support this. I have a couple of same-sex couples on my scroll through descriptions and don't see the importance of a 'bred' egg appearing on their pages. I can't think of animals that breed with the same sex other than hermaphrodites such as worms, and having a reptile do that seems weird.

I would support the ability to add a note "adopted by" similar to the vampire's "bitten by" note on a dragon's page.

I would like a feature like that! But the other suggestions, no, definitely not.

Edited by Scotland

Why not adopting be for dragons who can't breed? The Vampires bite and turn eggs into their own kind, but turning is not the same, and the GoN and others.

I got a example with my Vampire dragoness Kazanna, she wants actual offspring but she can't take a proper mate or breed. She does kind of adopt my younger vampires, but she's not actually motherly (they do their own thing).

In real life, we get an orphan/abandoned child to raise and educate as our own.. In dragons, I think it's very similar to Hellfire Dragons official description: "However, orphaned hatchlings raised by foster parents of another species can develop surprisingly even tempers and mellow dispositions, proving that their defining unpleasant nature is, in fact, a learned behavior."

I know that we can put in description some words, but Spark-Dragon wants to make the "adoption" more official.. I don't really think it's gross or strange, but I don't support it, because it would be an extra, like descriptions.. Also, DC is basically, get your egg, raise it and make your scroll bigger.. I see your side, but isn't crucial to have it~

I find this suggestion highly silly.

To be honest... I have to completely agree with Marri. If you want to propose a concept that allows same-sex breeding, that's awesome. Just be sure you have a scientifically accurate reason for why they can. For example--an all female breed could produce via parthenogenesis, much like female Whiptail lizards. However, I do not see this working for all breeds as it simply doesn't make sense.

I do not see this working for all breeds as it simply doesn't make sense.

That could be an alternate of BSA, you know, Breed Specific Action.. But that would ruin the original BSA..

Really, I'm thinking of a way to make this more DC-realistic, but of all sides I see as an extra only, because it's a normal action of getting an egg..

I find this idea unnecessary, and if I am correct, dragons can adopt eggs via descriptions. (I was too lazy to read all the pages, and it's very likely that a load of people have mentioned this).

I know that we can put in description some words, but Spark-Dragon wants to make the "adoption" more official.

I know you're just trying to summarize his point, but I don't know what can get more official than an in-site description that requires mod approval before it's displayed. laugh.gif

I support gay rights like you would not believe - but when two men or two women adopt a child, they do not get to show up as the parents on its birth certificate. They (as you might say) record the fact through their baby's description - they tell all their friends. IMHO that is the way to do it !

ETA a friend of mine had to put her child up for adoption; the child's grandparents are still in touch (now that she's grown up) - by taking away lineage, you'd lose the child's/dragon's history. NOT OK.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I support gay rights like you would not believe - but when two men or two women adopt a child, they do not get to show up as the parents on its birth certificate. They (as you might say) record the fact through their baby's description - they tell all their friends. IMHO that is the way to do it !

ETA a friend of mine had to put her child up for adoption; the child's grandparents are still in touch (now that she's grown up) - by taking away lineage, you'd lose the child's/dragon's history. NOT OK.

Yeah, sorry, I'm with fuzzbucket and others on this one.

Lineage is too important to the game and the DC world to alter it for RP purposes - especially with the opportunities mentioned previously for creating whole new valuable dragons out of long-lineaged Shimmers or whatever.

And in keeping with the DC virtual reality scheme, and as also mentioned earlier on the thread, the genetics of sprites can't be altered.

All RP 'adoptive parent' DC dragons, whether same-sex or not, do this through descriptions, and it works that way.

I agree with just about everyone on here. Why would we need this if we could just write it in the description? Not to mention it'll heavily change the linage system. Same-sex parents are fine, but at least give a good reason as to how they can work.

I also agree, I don't see a point, though if this was thought out a little more, it'd be interesting to see what happens.