Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't right-click on the egg to open it in a new tab? And I only hit the "refresh" button when it's a single biome release. Otherwise I click straight through to the next biome there's a drop. I could then just hit the back button and mouse over to see the code of the egg I missed.

When I'm moving from biome to biome fast enough and closing out of my "catch" tabs so it doesn't kill my browser, I either hit the back button when the drop's done to see if I mis-clicked [this works if the drop is still on, as I can just refresh or move forward to another browser] or go to view all my dragons [i won't do this if the drop is still going, as it would take my attention away from clicking].

So there are ways, meaning there's reason to hide those destination URLs. Or as was suggested, just show the randomized sequence and hide the dragon's code.

You DO open eggs in a new tab?

The amount of time it takes for me to right click and move the mouse up the menu to open a new tab- which also takes my mouse off of the sweet spot where the next egg will appear- is greater than the amount of time it takes to just left click the egg. Unless there's a trick to it that I'm not aware of, I can't see how that would do anything but decrease catch rates....

You DO open eggs in a new tab? 

The amount of time it takes for me to right click and move the mouse up the menu to open a new tab- which also takes my mouse off of the sweet spot where the next egg will appear- is greater than the amount of time it takes to just left click the egg.  Unless there's a trick to it that I'm not aware of, I can't see how that would do anything but decrease catch rates....

Oops. Not right-click. >.>; Click the central mouse wheel. That's instant and it also doesn't switch me to viewing that new tab.

...I think I need to go to bed, I'm derping so badly right now.

Edited by SkylerFarrier

I've put up stuff for trade and seen the start of viewbombings, so yeah it's a good idea to keep an eye out for eggs and fog them. Prevention is best option we currently have available.

Oops. Not right-click. >.>; Click the central mouse wheel. That's instant and it also doesn't switch me to viewing that new tab.

Ah, no wonder I couldn't figure out the trick. tongue.gif

I can understand the advantage now, but that wouldn't work for me. I've got a 4-button mouse, and clicking the central wheel pops me out to my desktop/toggles between different application windows (ie, browser vs. word processing)- which is just about the LAST thing I want to do when frantically scrambling for a drop.

Edited by Troubletail

Ah, no wonder I couldn't figure out the trick. tongue.gif

I can understand the advantage now, but that wouldn't work for me. I've got a 4-button mouse, and clicking the central wheel pops me out to my desktop/toggles between different application windows (ie, browser vs. word processing)- which is just about the LAST thing I want to do when frantically scrambling for a drop.

Four-button? I've seen mice with the right and left buttons, then a pair of buttons on the side of the mouse with up and down arrows on it. Good to know.

I guess it wouldn't be an advantage every viewbomber has, but some would be able to use it at least.

3 eggs that I caught yesterday and had not entered anywhere all collected 200+ views and were all sick in less than 1 hour from me catching them. I repeat: I HAD NOT ENTERED THEM ANYWHERE! Many of the people who I am crediting with actually having cause to suspect view bombing have either had that same experience, or on investigation found their eggs posted in 6 or more hatcheries that they don't habitually use.

Please stop telling us that we have no idea what is happening to us. Look at what we are saying. We either have not posted our eggs at all or we are finding them posted in places we know we didn't post them on.

QFT.

My CB Gold died to 2845 ov, 213 UV, added on while i was still hunting the 5min drops and thus, added it nowhere.

It got fogged at around 15-20 mins old, then died later in the fog.

Most likely explanation: someone who misses eggs, still adds their codes to some places with a lot more view than fanpages.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/jY5u4

I've been on this site since 2008, i've been viewbombed myself, i've talked to people who admitted to viewbombing and i've read many posts of people who have legitimately been viewbombed. In all of these cases, RARE eggs are the main focus, followed by people who have a vendetta against someone else. Very rarely is it just some joker out there who's just joking around. And if it is, he/she isn't going to go around adding a bunch of scrolls to a bunch of hatcheries. You know how much of a pain it is just to add MY SCROLL to a bunch of hatcheries? And even then, the site lags and you sometimes have to manually hit "select all" or, even click all of the eggs, and then submit. It's a long tedious process.

I'm not saying that everyone here isn't confusing one for the other, i'm sure there's a lot of legitimate claims. However, for this many people, all at once, to have the same problem while there is an overload of views at hatcheries? That doesn't strike you as odd? And have any of these users realized that "looking" to see if your scroll has been added at certain sites (such as valleysherwood) will automatically add your dragons, so it looks like they've already been added by someone else? Not to mention, these posts ALWAYS pop up during releases. Especially Holiday releases.

Princess_Pinkie basically restated what I was TRYING to get across. It's all about high traffic on one or two hatcheries, not one viewbomber going around and viewbombing every single new-ish person on this site.

I agree that people often confuse an increase in traffic during an event for viewbombing. However, in this case there's actual confirmation from many people and on a larger scale than we've seen before.

Yesterday, I caught some of the new eggs. I made a post or two in the release thread and then went to my scroll. My new eggs were already accumulating views. Not 5 or 10 curious people who might have checked out my scroll while reading my post, but a large wave of views.

So I went to EAtW where your eggs actually don't get added as soon as you enter your scroll - I know this to be fact because I've used it for ND making and so I've pulled up my scroll there many, many times and then carefully watched my egg remain at 0 until I check marked the egg and then clicked the add button. All of my new eggs were entered. The same when I went to AoND, Silvi's, Valley Sherwood (where you can click off the auto add), and EDS (where you can use the "manage" option to check which of your eggs are there without adding them).

My scroll name is not on my dragons' pages, so I didn't grab an egg that someone wanted and then they followed me from that, and I have no rare eggs right now, just new releases and common hatchlings.

This was clearly, without doubt, viewbombing. I had the new eggs for about 15 minutes or so, so I would have remembered adding them. And yet they were in 5 different hatcheries (and actually a sixth I couldn't find, but my much slower rising view count shows they were somewhere). And since I couldn't have been traced through the cave, it came from the forum.

Right now, there seem to be a few different types of viewbombing people are dealing with. There's the "If I can't have that rare, no one can!" mentality that almost all viewbombing used to be about. And, frankly, even that wasn't a large scale problem. Then there's been some cases lately of people in heated threads (myself included) getting viewbombed. That seems to just be a moment of rage thing because scrolls get added to a site or two and then it ends. It can kill eggs, but I think it's more of an angry gesture and a way to intimidate posters. And now what seems like a mass adding spree that seems like it may be originating in the release thread.

Honestly, this strikes me as less about the need to kill eggs than it is about messing with people. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this wasn't just a few of those genuinely sad sort of folks who need to upset other people for their kicks and then cling desperately to their rationalization that "It's for the lulz" to avoid dealing with their own unhappiness. Most of the scrolls being bombed are just dumped into auto-add hatcheries and I just made the rounds to where my scroll was added last night and it took me about a minute and a half. That's not a prohibitive amount of time for a few people who are mistaking their acting like morons for cleverness.

Are there some people mistaking the traffic for viewbombing? Sure. But are scrolls being added to fansites by people other than themselves? Absolutely. And we know that because folks are having to remove their eggs from sites they didn't use. And while I think that this adding spree will fade once this release ends, the fact is that viewbombing has become more of a go to move when folks are upset than it used to be. And since there have been some simple and relatively straightforward suggestions as to how to handle the problem, I think the time has come to just eliminate this as an avenue or mischief and revenge.

Edited by skauble

It would be great to hear from some of the hatchery folks about how hard it would be to add logins. I know it's been discussed before but I got the impression they were afraid it would make their sites into ghost towns if they used it.

Edited by Vhale

It would be great to hear from some of the hatchery folks about how hard it would be to had logins. I know it's been discussed before but I got the impression they were afraid it would make their sites into ghost towns if they used it.

I think the logins are a great idea. People wouldn't be having the issues they do now.

I think someone has decided that my scroll needs help. Not bombing, not that kind of quantity, yet as soon as I unfog eggs or hatchlings in preparation to add them to sites, they get clicked. Not just views but a click. I try to grow as many as I can with zero clicks, and to have an egg hatched without clicks, fogged, then receive clicks the instant it is unfogged just annoys me. I just put most of my unfogged babies in three sites for the moment, and I checked another three that I use at times. My newly unfogged did not show up in any of those sites, so I feel like someone just watches the scroll until I unfog, and then they click right behind me as I unfog each previously unclicked baby.

When I was a child, I learned to give help to those who ask for help, and keep my hands off anything where I was not invited. For me, it's a matter of respect the boundaries however they are set.

Just got either a helper or one of the bombers, I was describing my dragons and both copper eggs had view spike that made them both sick. I didn't put them in any hatcheries either, but I had added other eggs to jamiea er to get them to hatch which was out of my normal routine O.O

EDIT: confirmed bombing found my whole scroll in AoND, silvis, sherwood (note I'm adding hatcheries as I go, if other people can do the same we might be able to see a pattern in where the people are placing the eggs)

Edited by brairtrainer

I actually had no idea that view bombing was such a big problem. I've never had it happen to me before.

For once I'm pleased I'm not popular enough for something. xd.png

I hope something gets worked out so that people can't put other peoples' scrolls in hatcheries.

Lol, after repeatedly taking my eggs out of EATW where a viewbomber kept putting my eggs, s/he put them in another, more heavily trafficked one, where, as they load up on Views and get Sick one by one, I fog and they're set for the night - no need for me to post them.

I have all 6 of my newest eggs fully topped up for the night so far.

I'll just keep Fogging my way up my scroll , which I have to do for the night anyway.

Silly beggar(s).

It looks like Soti's Hatchery allows registration and password protection now that she's back. Perhaps it would help to show support for her site so the other owners feel comfortable with adding the option. /registered and scroll padlocked

It looks like Soti's Hatchery allows registration and password protection now that she's back. Perhaps it would help to show support for her site so the other owners feel comfortable with adding the option. /registered and scroll padlocked

Whoops, don't know why I thought Soti was a guy - I think we got virtual-married at some point!

*never notices gender stuff on internet*

Lol, the mad bomber had entered only my eggs in the new place, but after posting here about fogging them, now my hatchies have started gaining Views quickly, and I can gradually have them all topped up and Fogged before I even go to bed tonight!

I have no idea, I had just seen other people mention she, but it may have been assumed xd.png

Soti's gender is listed as "not telling" wink.gif Leaves it open for us to make our own guesses.

...I think I need to go to bed, I'm derping so badly right now.

Hey! I didn't know you could click that wheelie thing. Wow! That is cool.

I have only had 1 dragon viewbombed, while it was in a trade. I believe that some of the people who believe that they are being viewbombed are, while many others are just experiencing increased traffic to the click site.

And, then, of course, you have the people who believe that they are helping by putting your scroll in a hatchery. One of my friends lost a day 1 egg from that when another from out group "helped" her.

I think one of my bloodscaled is being viewbombed XP it went from 2k to 5k views in under an hour. fogged it but seriously?

Viewbombers are so bothersome >.<

I think one of my bloodscaled is being viewbombed XP it went from 2k to 5k views in under an hour. fogged it but seriously?

Viewbombers are so bothersome >.<

If it's just one egg or hatchling, you're most likely not being viewbombed. Usually viewbombers go for entire scrolls or single rares such as metallics.

Maybe it sounds harsch, but people can only viewbomb you if you don't be carefull with your eggs and let them.

If you catch a cb gold, or silver, or whatever you hold very dear, just hide it for a day! Take off your scroll name if you are worried they might hurt your entire scroll.

Perhaps this is a harsh example, but let's just go with it anyway. Let's say you own a dog. This dog is kept secure in your lot so that it cannot roam and get itself into trouble, and is provided with food and water daily. It is cared for with all the love and attention necessary.

Scenario 1:

Some random do-gooder who thinks that all dogs have to be obese to be healthy comes along and accuses you of starving your dog, despite the fact that it's at a healthy weight and doesn't need any additional care. You ask this person to not interfere with your pet, but they start giving it extra food anyway. Your dog begins to gain weight and develops obesity-related medical issues that put its life at risk. This is the same thing as someone trying to "help" by listing eggs on scrolls that say not to list.

Scenario 2:

One of your neighbors, for whatever reason, doesn't like you or your family. They don't know how to get back at you without getting themselves in trouble, so they decide to wait until late at night when no one can see them and poison your dog. Your dog gets very ill from this, and might even die. You don't know who did it, but it is an emotionally traumatic situation nonetheless. This is similar to malicious view-bombing caused by anger or jealousy.

Scenario 3:

Some "tough guy" teenager walks down the street and sees your dog. He's a sick person who gets off on hurting others, so he hurts your dog. You're not home at the time, so you have no idea who did it, but your dog needs medical attention. This is similar to random view-bombings.

I'm sorry, but saying that it's the fault of the owner for what someone else has done to their scroll is terribly misguided. It may just be a digital dragon, but it is still causing grief to others when someone goes out of their way to interfere with how it is raised.

Edited by keijaidyyn

A bit of advice: I usually don't post in these threads because someone else has already offered good advice etc. But today i decided to test a theory I've had for a while. I made some innocuous comments, but in one post i said people who viewbomb are usually either jealous, angry with you about something you posted, or just jerks. And it took a bit, but sure enough, all my eggs and hatchies ended up in all the big fansites. I think it' safe to say, who ever is doing it, at least one is following this thread. So, keep an eye on your stuff, and be careful.

PS. I kept a very careful eye on things and my babies are fine..not even a hint of sickness.

A bit of advice:  I usually don't post in these threads because someone else has already offered good advice etc.  But today i decided to test a theory I've had for a while.  I made some innocuous comments,  but in one post i said people who viewbomb are usually either jealous, angry with you about something you posted, or just jerks.  And it took a bit, but sure enough, all my eggs and hatchies ended up in all the big fansites.  I think it' safe to say, who ever is doing it, at least one  is following this thread.  So, keep an eye on your stuff, and be careful.

PS.  I kept a very careful eye on things and my babies are fine..not even a hint of sickness.

Despite the fact that I don't agree with forcing users to have to "hide in the bunker" instead of just dealing with the idiots who can't keep to themselves, I do agree that anyone who has posted anything here should probably fog overnight at least. I personally will be fogging anything even remotely vulnerable tonight. wink.gif

Thanks for letting us know about your little test. Good to know that others are paying attention to what's happening on their scrolls instead of making assumptions.

EDIT: I've been noticing some views trickling in on the eggs I haven't listed anywhere, but the UVs are very, very close to the number of views, so I strongly believe these are just curiosity clicks. I'll be watching them until I go to bed, then they'll be fogged for the night.

Edited by keijaidyyn

And this seemed to indicate that registration may be necessary - and I've never done so or used this site.:

http://dc.makegames.de/scroll.html

If you have a closer look, it says "the name you used to register at the Dragon Cave" - they simply mean your scroll name. You don't need to register at EatW, and to take out your scroll's eggs from there, enter your scroll name, uncheck any eggs and hatchlings, and submit the form.

Seriously, this whole viewbombing thing wouldn't be an issue at all if dragons dying from sickness wasn't a thing. Couldn't sickness do something else instead, like just adding a visible sickness counter on the owner's scroll?

Soti's gender is listed as "not telling"  wink.gif Leaves it open for us to make our own guesses.

There is a little banner on that Jaemeia ER where it talks about Man's best friend. That page made me believe it's actually a guy, if that is Soti there.

If you have a closer look, it says "the name you used to register at the Dragon Cave" - they simply mean your scroll name. You don't need to register at EatW, and to take out your scroll's eggs from there, enter your scroll name, uncheck any eggs and hatchlings, and submit the form. ...

Lol, I did take my eggs out of there, twice, and then had a PM from someone to mention that they were back in.

Didn't think there was much point in bothering, since they were being re-entered, but removed my dragons again, checked again immediately to be sure it wasn't an automatic entry, which it wasn't, as they stayed out, and remained out, every time every time I checked, and I kept the page for the site up, for frequent checking.

But Views from somewhere else started to come in for the eggs again, at a higher rate, so I just let them accumulate then, as the eggs got Sick, Fogged them, until all 6 of my newest eggs were topped up and Fogged for the night.

A while after that, Views started coming in fast for the hatchies but then stopped, I'm guessing at about the time that the mad bomber either simply realized or saw my post pointing out that, since I watch my scroll so closely, s/he was really only helping my dragons grow, albeit in an obnoxious way.

But that's OK, the hatchies don't really need any massive boost before being fogged for the night, so that hardly matters either way.

And I'd also like to add that while Views do tend to slow down at night, (although perhaps less so than usual, with so many people on for the latest new release) I now have what was a brand-new egg in DDF, which has been in for something over an hour, and has accumulated 5 Views (including mine) 3 U views & 2 Clicks, which is far more typical of DDF than hundreds in an hour, lol.

Either the egg gets extra from the mad viewbomber or gets fogged with low Views, makes no nevermind in this case because it all works out in the end.

In this instance, somebody vulnerable isn't being victimized, so don't be misled into thinking I don't find this disgusting.

Was it Wormtongue and Sarman who, when weakened, did what creeping, small-minded damage they could to anyone vulnerable?

Haven't read the book for a while, but this sort of thing makes me think of that... only Viewbombing is as pointless as it is slimy, lol, and a person doing that sort of nasty thing to try to harm others clearly has no idea how petty and silly they make themselves look.

You can add me to the list of view bombed people. My alts got over eight hundred views over the night. And no, I haven't put them anywhere. I also noticed an increase of views in my hatchlings.

Edited by PointOfOrigin