Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't use a ton of different hatcheries, but of the ones I do use, only one allows you to enter a single code *unless* the egg is an ER. My scroll is hidden, but I tested to see if it would show up, and the hatcheries I use will not add eggs from a hidden scroll.

So hatcheries that use 'scroll names only' don't accept hidden scrolls? That's great to know! dry.gif Here I thought it only kept people from seeing the other eggs any one person had.

Edited by SkylerFarrier

So hatcheries that use 'scroll names only' don't accept hidden scrolls? That's great to know! dry.gif Here I thought it only kept people from seeing the other eggs any one person had.

Well I can't speak for *all* of them (I had no idea there were SO MANY! blink.gif ) , but of the ones I use - I know Allure of Neglected Dragons, ValleySherwood, Eggs Around The World, and Silvi's Lair all give me a "Sorry, we can't find that scroll" type message when I try to enter my scrollname while it's hidden.

If you unhide your scroll, add it to the hatchery, rehide your scroll, the hatchery will be able to give your eggs/hatchlings views. You can't add the scroll while it is hidden.

Some people just like to 'play around' and try to kill rare dragons on other people's scrolls for fun.

This was going to be my comment more or less, but the first poster took care of that for me smile.gif

I have only been viewbombed once - I put my GoN into a hatchery, and it later appeared on every other hatchery. Luckily I already had my scroll name set to not display on my egg pages, so whomever targeted it likely did so from the hatchery I put it in and could not access any of my other dragons. I suspect that they were just trying to kill it because, well, they could. Luckily I caught the sickness and fogged him and he grew up just fine. I have been making it a point to fog anything rare or valuable (even if it is only valuable to me) and keep most of my eggs out of the hatcheries until they are ER just for the sake of safety. I have never gone to the extent of hiding my scroll- I prefer fogging my eggs individually.

Edited for spellfail.

Edited by Daypaw

I've been view-bombed twice x/ This was during the time when I was getting shimmers left and right. So as eggs and hatchlings a jealous user(s) entered them on hatcheries.

Although I only use EAtW (Eggs around the world) and AoND. So I only fogged my eggs and hatchies overnight. It was enough for the user(s) to lose interest for a few days. All my shimmers lived biggrin.gif So that's good!

Although, that was the only time though. I have seen though people who've trading VERY rare eggs with me have gotten bombed because they've gotten jealous.

I don't hide my scroll only because it's different from my username and people often look at my dagons for trades. :/ I manage the view-bombing on my scroll well though.

If your scroll is hidden and your name doesn't show up on your dragon pages, then someone who misses say a Gold egg that you caught can target that egg using the code. What they can't do is find your other egg codes or your scroll to view bomb everything you have. It seems that whoever is doing this is using the scroll names to add the entire scrolls to numerous sites. If you only use one site and find your eggs on 6-10 sites, you may have been targeted; if you haven't put your eggs anywhere yet and they get sick from too many views to fast, you may have been targeted. If you hide your scroll and take your name off your dragon pages, you may be safer.

Maybe that's what happened to my Magma eggs a couple weeks back. I had 3 Magma eggs (AP caught) all get sick just a few hours after I snagged them. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but they had a lot of views and I hadn't put them in any hatcheries. I had problems for weeks after that with other Magmas, Tinsels, Reds, ect. getting sick without me putting them in hatcheries. People can be real jerks sometimes... dry.gif

Huh.

My eggs and hatchlings have been getting sick more often than usual lately, but since none of them were accumulating views at too excessive of a rate I'd been attributing it to a combination of the anniversary making hatcheries less predictable and my own inexperience at raising incubated eggs rather than letting them develop naturally.

And then I wanted to push a stubborn egg into hatching on time and decided to use a hatchery I normally don't use. Two of my hatchlings- two of the ones that had been getting sick off and on all day- were already there.

Go figure.

Edit: Did some further poking around and the same pair were also in another site that I don't use.

Edit the second: It looks like someone keeps adding my fogged hatchlings to one.

Edited by Troubletail

Are the hatchies already fogged when added to that website? Just curious. I didn't realize there were sites that let you add fogged critters. As I was typing that previous sentence I realized it would be possible if the scroll is visible and the site is scraping rather than using the API, and the site doesn't check that the codes it's scraping are visible.

I just saw Im being added to sites as well: relatively harmless, but still. I took my hatchling out of all hatcheries because it was ready to mature, but it gained another couple hundred (roughly 500) views.

None of my babies are sick, thankfully, but Ill be keeping a close eye.

Edited by Puppylikestosti

Pleased to say that I caught last night's little drama in time and my bronzes are all healthy again, Two hatched! laugh.gif

I make a habit of always hiding my eggs the first 24 hours anyway, if they're rare or new, because they are sometimes just more prone to sickness in the first place. I never used to have my scroll hidden, or my scroll name hidden from view, but I'm keeping it that way until the last egg from this event hatches. Then I'll unhide the scroll but keep my name hidden. I'm not hiding it totally - part of the whole point of this game for me is the social stuff on here, so the bombers can go swivel if they think they can stop me from enjoying that.

edit, duh Bunns, can't hide the whole scroll or you can't get views at all. Duh. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bunns

I never use more than one hatchery, don't enter them before they are down at least 12 hours.

Never had a problem, even in very busy hatchery times, like right now.

Why do people insist on entering eggs right after catching? And adding them to several hatcheries? Put them in ONE ER if they don't have enough views...

Edited by lilysally

I never use more than one hatchery, don't enter them before they are down at least 12 hours.

Why do people insist on entering eggs right after catching? And adding them to several hatcheries? Put them in ONE ER if they don't have enough views...

That's... not what's happening to anyone at all here.

user posted image

As far as I know, the API shows the same data as the real DC pages, just without all the formatting and images.

So, if you hide your scroll so that regular users cannot see it, neither fansites accessing the API nor those scraping the formatted pages would be able to see anything - in both cases, the scroll appears to be not existing. So, fansites are no backdoor for finding your dragons.

Likewise, tools accessing your scroll for some things (e.g. the scroll checker on Eggs around the World) cannot see zombies during the cave's daytime (unless it's the 31st of a month).

I have had this happen, it was a few years ago and right after vampires got their BSA. I bit a new vampire egg, someone PMed me asking for it and I said no, and then oddly enough my scroll got viewbombed religiously for a few months. It was really annoying and looking back I should have given that person's name to TJ or one of the mods, because I am sure it was my "punishment" for not giving away the egg. But whatever, they lost interest eventually.

Are the hatchies already fogged when added to that website? Just curious. I didn't realize there were sites that let you add fogged critters. As I was typing that previous sentence I realized it would be possible if the scroll is visible and the site is scraping rather than using the API, and the site doesn't check that the codes it's scraping are visible.

Some of them let you add fogged hatchies for things like Neglected experiments. There's specifically a button to do just that. Mainly due to the very tight time frame for fogging and unfogging experiments, it's easier to not have an extra step of adding it to the hatchery.

This thread is addressing the problems of people whose dragons have been entered in fansites without their permission. It has nothing to do with people entering their own dragons too soon or to too many hatcheries. Other people are doing that to them. Did you read the posts?

I have one other theory as to how some people are getting people's scroll names.

If it's possible to "scrape" forum posts for links, and detect scroll names in that way, it could be one way that troublemakers could operate. It might not even be players here, but "script kiddies" who like to annoy other people, just because they can. And, of course, if there are any "If I can't have it, no one can" people who missed out on clicking a CB or AP critter, that could be a source of spitework. Either way, it's a sad commentary on some individuals' mentality, but that's a whole discussion unto itself.

My suggestion is to think twice about showing a scroll name on dragons' pages. And if you have discovered that your own scroll has been under attack, it might be prudent to take the link out of the forum signature, at least for a while.

I wasn't aware about the inability to add a hidden scroll to a hatchery. I like that feature.

There are some hatchery sites that allow the addition of specific eggs/hatchlings by code, rather than via scroll. So it might still be possible to attempt to viewbomb one specific item on a person's scroll. But without access to the scroll name, a person couldn't attack the entire scroll's worth of eggs/hatchlings.

I'm hoping that the more layers of protection we add against the script kiddies and the sore-loser game players, the less likely it will be for them to do any harm -- and perhaps, the sooner they will become bored and find something else to do besides vandalize other people's hard work.

Edited by Stay Onside

I was advised not to have the same forum/scroll name, and that worked out pretty well for keeping my scroll well and truly separate from forum activities.

Well, till trades. Wish those just listed the goodies on offer and nothing more...

I've had someone enter my eggs into ALL THE FANSITES! before. Only a few months ago, actually. I'm not sure whether it was spite, or a misplaced sense of helpfulness.

I usually catch it if I am being view bombed and I have never had an egg or hatchie die from it. However I have had eggs hatch before i got a chance to influence them, due to a busy schedule.

Aquamyrine

Had this happen to me and lost a new release egg and all of my hatchies kept getting sick. Wonder who added my dragons to click sites..

That's... not what's happening to anyone at all here.

user posted image

Perfect response is perfect. laugh.gif

I wanted to mention to the continued naysayers that I don't know that the 'high traffic' is making much of a difference. I put my eggs into AoND all the time (including during new releases), into EATW when that one is down, and I always have to use two ERs to get eggs to hatch with any kind of promptness. Over the course of this new release, it took forever for my eggs to accumulate views, as they garnered far fewer views than usual. Anyone who is having problems right now either entered their babies too early or is being targeted by a malicious predator or an ignorant helper wanna-be.

Looking at solutions, I love all of the suggestions that have been made (yes, I read through all 14 pages over the last three days because I do that kind of thing). I very much lean toward the account setting solutions that have been proposed as opposed to BSAs, since this seems like it should be a scroll preference setting.

I can see where being able to hide just growing things is an impractical idea for certain projects, like rare gifting threads, since it would allow people to have many more eggs than the thread-required limit and no one would know.

However, settings limiting the total number of views you'd like your eggs to receive, or the ability to have sick eggs auto-fog (as an opt-out for our wonderful sadists who like to murder their eggs with sickness or perform Certain Experiments) seem to me to be highly doable and practical.

Edited by LibbyLishly

DDF does require you to login to add eggs/hatchies to the site. All self-serve hatcheries should implement that, it would go a long way towards eliminating this problem.

I know I just found my entire scroll posted to Valley Sherwood, which I only use when My eggs/hatchies are ER.

It's not a solution. For one, a lot of people REFUSE to use any site that requires them to enter their password (for security reasons no less).

Here's the big one: It make it impossible for anyone else to help you hatch your eggs even WITH permission. Even if they tie it to accepting aid/not accepting aid, it still doesn't work. I won't turn on accepting aid b/c it gives EVERYONE permission to "help" rather than just a specific person.

The other thing, is that there's a big difference between "lending aid" and sticking something into every hatchery you can find.

I think it's pathetic that this site was designed so that we have to jump through hoops to ward off people who are breaking the rules

--

I had someone ER the CB Silver I had up for trade. It didn't die, but the damn thing did grow up on my scroll. Now, I'm stuck with the constant reminder of a Silver I didn't want. (I was trying to trade 2 Silvers for a Gold - now I don't have enough).

There is a trick that can be used to auto-fog. But it's a bit tech savy. I can try to describe it and post pictures later.

1. (Optional but handy) Use Firefox or Chrome and have Snaplinks Plus or Link Clumps installed.

Snaplinks DownloadLink Clumps DownloadDisclaimer: Snaplinks stopped working when Firefox was updated last week. There is a beta fix listed on it's page, but it's not official yet.

Advantage: Either add on lets you use the mouse to draw a box around links. Every link in that box, opens in a new tab. So, open all 21 egg/hatchy links in one click.

2. Now that the action pages are open. Go to each one and click hide/fog.

3. You now have one tab with your scroll and all your hatchy links open and fogged. Browse back to the first tab with your scroll view.

4. Right click on the window tab. (where the page name is, top left). You'll get a little menu. One of the options is Reload All Tabs. Select that option. What will happen is every single tab will refresh, which will unfog your dragons and refresh your scroll.

5. Now. What this does for you. You can resize or minimize this set of windows to keep an eye on your scroll. If you see anything awry with how they are gaining views, you can refog your entire scroll with Two Clicks.

If you close the tab group by accident, you can usually browse to restore previous session to reopen it, or recently closed windows, under the History Menu.

This works because fogging and unfogging is basically the same window. Each time you refresh the window, it does the opposite action. So you are harnessing the power of tabbed windows and reload all tabs to work as a single action button. It will work on as many hatchling/egg tabs as you have open.

Hope that helps some of the people with more persistent view bombing problems.

Edited by Vhale