Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,073 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Those of us who are foolish enough to be posting here might want to hide our scrolls. This thread has definitely become a target for these "helpful" people.

Indeed - my two "test" eggs have just been entered somewhere!! They had 0 views when I posted

Fortunately I'd taken the precaution of already fogging the eggs that I wouldn't want to lose so whoever you are - you are wasting your time with me laugh.gif

Indeed - my two "test" eggs have just been entered somewhere!! They had 0 views when I posted

Fortunately I'd taken the precaution of already fogging the eggs that I wouldn't want to lose so whoever you are - you are wasting your time with me laugh.gif

Hide yo' Scroll

Hide yo' Hatchies

'Cause they addin' errrbody up in here!

Hide yo' Scroll

Hide yo' Hatchies

'Cause they addin' errrbody up in here!

Nah

Let them play games with me - I've been here long enough to have a trick or two myself and if they waste their time targeting me then they won't have time to mess with anyone else laugh.gif

Honestly, I thought this thread was for reporting viewbombing and maybe coming up with a few ideas on how to slow down the viewbombers so that more rares/uncommons/commons don't die.

Originally, I made in a panic when I got viewbombed, but when people kept posting and discussing the matter, it turned into a viewbomb discussion thread of sorts.

Though people seemed to come in pages later asking me if I was sure it wasn't just traffic >.>

Those of us who are foolish enough to be posting here might want to hide our scrolls. This thread has definitely become a target for these "helpful" people.

My suggestion would be to hide scrolls when you're not around, and fog things that you're nervous about/are delicate if you're worried. I'm just keeping a close eye on everything for now, since I have no life I can be here in case of emergency tongue.gif

EDIT: Just because you think things doesn't mean that they appear on the screen.

Edited by Delira

Yep. We are the people in danger. I already removed my scroll from signature, but I doubt that will help. Chances are that most people here know my scroll name. Oh well, fogging them during the night it is.

Aaaannndd, I got weird conspiracy theoris on my mind. These guys could easily be multiscrollers with full scrolls of new eggs. Then, they kill the eggs of forum goers. Of course, some of them, like coopers, would be hard to replace. And that's when they start trading their rare eggs to desperate users. That would be really profitable.

Okay, I'm getting just a tiny bit paranoid. Just a tiny bit.

Lol, I'm watching my scroll even more closely than usual, generally checking literally every few minutes, and if my dragons get Sick, I fog, but in that case, they're fogged with plenty of Views on them, so, whatever.

I don't seem to be currently targeted, but that could change at any point, for any of us, and now people are becoming more aware of this.

I'm having to add my own dragons to fansites now, though, lol.

Someone added my scroll to about 5 sites. Thanks, loves, for violating the rules - you got my hellhorse egg to hatch and I didn't even have to ER it. Ha! :-*

but really it shouldn't be foolish to post in a discussion thread - no matter it's topic. People should just leave what isn't theirs alone and barring that, the site should have a better way of dealing with it.

Edit: My scroll's hidden again, and anything I didn't want in hatcheries has been removed. But seriously... how helpful. Guess whoever it was didn't plan on me catching it so fast.

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

I've never gotten viewbombed, but since there's so much traffic nowadays my eggs tend to get sick really quickly. One of my hellhorses got 2,000 views in ~12 hours! It seems like my whole scroll never gets viewbombed, but sometimes a single egg gets tons of views for no good reason.

I've been fogging my eggs, so I'm okay.

Question- does trading an egg cure it of its sickness?

Edited by cheese456

Just pointing out "foolish" is meant in this post to be the same type of sarcasm as the word "helpful". Perhaps I should have used quotes on it to make that more apparent.

I sometimes tend to be outspoken, especially on topics I feel strongly about. I have never shut up under pressure, and don't intend to start now. Though I am being vigilant, and hope everyone else is, too.

Question- does trading an egg cure it of its sickness?

No, it just passes a sick egg on to a new owner.

Someone added my scroll to about 5 sites. Thanks, loves, for violating the rules - you got my hellhorse egg to hatch and I didn't even have to ER it. Ha! :-*

Likewise my BlackCaps! laugh.gif

No, it just passes a sick egg on to a new owner.

Or a dead one...

Hey, I've heard that the NDer is still down, so the mad bomber might make some victims quite happy, if they have ER eggs.

Although Jaemeias does the job very nicely, thank goodness.

Huh. I guess my presence in this thread must have pissed someone off, either that or my lucky salt catch today caught someone's attention. I just noticed THREE of my eggs had got sick - all my bronzes - and accumulated views at a massively increased rate compared to the first day and a half of their life. sad.gif

Just checked my scroll on various sites and YUP, it had been entered onto draghatch, eggs around the world, egg drop soup, Silvi's Lair, Valley Sherwood and who knows how many others. I NEVER use anything except AOND. I can even pinpoint WHEN they did it, too - I traded for a pink hatchie a few hours ago, and picked up a CB tan ridgewing, and when I checked my scroll on the above sites, all my eggs/hatchies were added EXCEPT those. So I know it happened sometime after I checked my eggs last night but before the trade this morning.

I've hidden the eggs and removed my scrolls from as many sites as I could find, but I'm pretty miffed. dry.gifmad.gif

There are other hatcheries I can think of to check, but I don't know how to remove eggs/hatchies from them, only add. Does anyone know how to remove eggs from linked scales, dragon cave spa or dragon cave mansion?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change my answer on the poll?

For reference:

1- I have my scroll. I also help manage my sister's scroll when she's busy.

2- I EXCLUSIVELY use AOND for mine and her scrolls.

3- We both currently have eggs on our scrolls that we caught at the same time.

4- My sister does not use the forums.

5- Last time I logged on, my eggs and hers - caught at the same time and added to AOND at the same time - had healthy eggs, with about 600 views (not UVs) per egg on 2-day-old eggs.

6- Now I log on, and her eggs are still healthy, still with about the same number of views (more, but still under 700). Mine have 1700+ views each and are sick.

7- I have discovered that my scroll has been added to sites I DO NOT USE.

So I can safely say this is not an issue of the hatcheries getting higher views than normal.

Edited by Bunns

I'm pretty sure you can't switch a poll answer without it being reset.

I'll also say trying to claim this thread is the source of view bombing is still victim blaming. Don't let people try to squash getting help with the issue. I think the idea about having the fansite check for aid is very interesting! And it looks like more people signed up at Soti's. So, progress is being made.

People made this thread because they were already being viewbombed. While it's certainly possible that a jerk is reading it and adding more scrolls, it's also probable that they are still using whatever they used before. Once a scroll name is in memory. It is VERY easy to re-add it to a site. Just testing for myself: It took 8 clicks and two keypresses to leave this window. Google a hatchery. And add my scroll to Silvi. It would be no different for EoTW, AoTN, Sotis etc etc.

Edited by Vhale

I'll also say trying to claim this thread is the source of view bombing is still victim blaming. Don't let people try to squash getting help with the issue. I think the idea about having the fansite check for aid is very interesting! And it looks like more people signed up at Soti's. So, progress is being made.

People made this thread because they were already being viewbombed. While it's certainly possible that a jerk is reading it and adding more scrolls, it's also probable that they are still using whatever they used before. Once a scroll name is in memory. It is VERY easy to re-add it to a site. Just testing for myself: It took 8 clicks and two keypresses to leave this window. Google a hatchery. And add my scroll to Silvi. It would be no different for EoTW, AoTN, Sotis etc etc.

I haven't been victim blaming at all in this thread. I've been defending the other viewbombed people.

I mentioned this thread only as a possibility because a- it happened today, b - in the past 24 hours I've not posted anywhere near as much as I usually do, and this was the last place I posted before my scroll got added (the posts I've made in the news and trading areas I posted while adding that pink and ridgewing to my scroll, on my timeline) and c- because my sister, who isn't on the forums, hasn't been bombed.

I'm not blaming the victim. I am, as of now, ONE of them. I'm just trying to work out how/where bombers are getting access to people's scrolls. You can add a whole scroll if you know the scroll name, but you can only add individual eggs if all you know is the egg code.

It happened to me a few times, most of them were after I snatched hatchies off the AP, but the most recent one was during the Day 1 releases, I managed to get a pair from a kind user and forgot to fog them, when I came back from work my eggs had gained way more views (a scary amount) and one of them had gotten sick. dry.gif

Huh. I guess my presence in this thread must have pissed someone off, either that or my lucky salt catch today caught someone's attention. I just noticed THREE of my eggs had got sick - all my bronzes - and accumulated views at a massively increased rate compared to the first day and a half of their life. sad.gif

Just checked my scroll on various sites and YUP, it had been entered onto draghatch, eggs around the world, egg drop soup, Silvi's Lair, Valley Sherwood and who knows how many others. I NEVER use anything except AOND. I can even pinpoint WHEN they did it, too - I traded for a pink hatchie a few hours ago, and picked up a CB tan ridgewing, and when I checked my scroll on the above sites, all my eggs/hatchies were added EXCEPT those. So I know it happened sometime after I checked my eggs last night but before the trade this morning.

I've hidden the eggs and removed my scrolls from as many sites as I could find, but I'm pretty miffed. dry.gifmad.gif

There are other hatcheries I can think of to check, but I don't know how to remove eggs/hatchies from them, only add. Does anyone know how to remove eggs from linked scales, dragon cave spa or dragon cave mansion?

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change my answer on the poll?

For reference:

1- I have my scroll. I also help manage my sister's scroll when she's busy.

2- I EXCLUSIVELY use AOND for mine and her scrolls.

3- We both currently have eggs on our scrolls that we caught at the same time.

4- My sister does not use the forums.

5- Last time I logged on, my eggs and hers - caught at the same time and added to AOND at the same time - had healthy eggs, with about 600 views (not UVs) per egg on 2-day-old eggs.

6- Now I log on, and her eggs are still healthy, still with about the same number of views (more, but still under 700). Mine have 1700+ views each and are sick.

7- I have discovered that my scroll has been added to sites I DO NOT USE.

So I can safely say this is not an issue of the hatcheries getting higher views than normal.

Dragon Cave Spa:

Enter hatchery, click add dragons, put in your scroll name, uncheck all you want to remove.

Sorry this is happening to you. Good luck to your eggs and hatchies.

Dragon Cave Spa:

Enter hatchery, click add dragons, put in your scroll name, uncheck all you want to remove.

Sorry this is happening to you. Good luck to your eggs and hatchies.

Ooh handy, thanks! I wasn't sure if they were one of the auto-add ones and didn't want to risk compounding the problem! biggrin.gif

Several people who have posted here have been view bombed. Telling people about that and warning them to be careful is not blaming the victim. It is warning people about a possible source of the problem.

I was gone for about 4 hours to see the new Star Trek movie. I made sure to fog all my coppery eggs, but left the Red Dorsal and my Tea and Gilded hatchlings free. Hatchies didn't increase a whole lot [i manually put them in 3-4 hatcheries before leaving] and the Dorsal jumped maybe 400 views from when I unfogged it about 10 hours ago.

I generally don't post in help topics, and have almost completely stayed off the forums except for the Silver-update discussion... a month ago?

xd.png Guess I haven't pissed anyone off yet.

But seriously. I used Allure of Neglected Dragons [it's down today, which makes me sad because it's my favorite], DragHatch, Dragon Breeders Cave [don't use all that often], and Dragon Dump - the first 4 listed on the "Click Sites" wiki page.

Just re-checked my eggs, didn't refresh, and spotted my Dorsal had stage 2 cracking. It's currently at 4d 21h, 950 V, and 337 UV. This is about what I've come to expect from general hatchery traffic. I've seen it jump during Holidays, but don't remember what I've seen during new releases. blink.gif Don't releases produce an increase in traffic? That's what I find 'weird' about this whole thing.

Not a cure-all, but this might help a bit with blocking people adding scrolls to sites:  Is it possible for a hatchery to check whether the scroll has "accepts aid" turned on before accepting a scroll entry?

This is something that could be done even by hatcheries that use screen-scraping rather than the formal API for retrieving codes and times, because the "owner accepts aid" is text on the web page.

The downside is that if a hatchery excluded scrolls that didn't say "accept aid", then to list a No-Aid scroll it's either:

1) The hatchery has to implement the user-login-API with DC to prove that it is the owner trying to list their No-Aid scroll.  I'm not sure how much work that is for the hatchery owner, but it sure would be nice to have.

or

2) The scroll owner needs to turn on the Accepts Aid flag in accounts, add the scroll, and then turn the Accepts Aid flag off.  This is the same amount of work for the owner that we're currently doing now when Hiding a scroll, and unhiding it for a minute to list it on a site, then re-hiding it.

The Accept-Aid check would, if honored at enough sites, allow a scroll to remain unhidden without risking the critters on it.

I love this suggestion. I don't have my scroll hidden because I've never had a problem with anything, and I sometimes PM newbies posting and ask them if they'd like me to breed them something. And because I never saw a purpose to hiding scrolls. All it meant for me was that someone couldn't find the code for an egg of mine and then track down my other eggs. Because if they found my other eggs, hiding my scroll would not prevent them from entering the eggs.

I love this suggestion. I don't have my scroll hidden because I've never had a problem with anything, and I sometimes PM newbies posting and ask them if they'd like me to breed them something. And because I never saw a purpose to hiding scrolls. All it meant for me was that someone couldn't find the code for an egg of mine and then track down my other eggs. Because if they found my other eggs, hiding my scroll would not prevent them from entering the eggs.

If your scroll is hidden and your name doesn't show up on your dragon pages, then someone who misses say a Gold egg that you caught can target that egg using the code. What they can't do is find your other egg codes or your scroll to view bomb everything you have. It seems that whoever is doing this is using the scroll names to add the entire scrolls to numerous sites. If you only use one site and find your eggs on 6-10 sites, you may have been targeted; if you haven't put your eggs anywhere yet and they get sick from too many views to fast, you may have been targeted. If you hide your scroll and take your name off your dragon pages, you may be safer.

And because I never saw a purpose to hiding scrolls. All it meant for me was that someone couldn't find the code for an egg of mine and then track down my other eggs. Because if they found my other eggs, hiding my scroll would not prevent them from entering the eggs.

I don't use a ton of different hatcheries, but of the ones I do use, only one allows you to enter a single code *unless* the egg is an ER. My scroll is hidden, but I tested to see if it would show up, and the hatcheries I use will not add eggs from a hidden scroll.

Might not be the cure-all, and it's not really a convenience for people who trade/like to keep their scroll open for requests and such...but right now hiding scrolls and fogging eggs seems like the only way to keep the jerks from killing our eggs.

It's never happened to me (thank you dragon gods!) but I'm more than paranoid enough now to make sure I don't leave anything unattended lest some pathetic individual with no life decides to tamper with what's not theirs. Scroll hidden, eggs fogged, no active trades up. Sad, but until a solution is found, I guess it's just the way it is unless I want to take the risk of seeing dead eggs. dry.gif