Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@schmupti

Well, considering I fogged everything before I could go through my list of fansites to check. Saving my eggs was slightly more important to me than going through every fan site. So.. yea, I'm going off numbers. I'm an admin at the DBC and I know darn well that my eggs couldn't have gotten more than 25 UVs from the member only hatchery in the amount of time I had them there. And as for Soti's I'm guessing maybe 30 UVs from there from time of entering them in, if I even did. Like I said, I fogged the eggs before checking.

@snoesiepoes

Well, considering I do NOT have aid enabled. The only reason I have dead eggs is because some one broke the rules of the site and posted my eggs without permission and not because I wasn't careful enough. I am always very careful with my eggs, and have been for the oh... 6 years that I've been playing, which means I know darn well how bad traffic gets on fansites during new releases from experience and I know that this isn't your run-of-the-mill high traffic "accident".

I've now lost a total of 3 eggs. The best solution to the view bombing problem is for people who are jealous or whatever of other people's scrolls to leave them alone and focus on catching their own eggs.

Edit: No, I will not go PMing TJ about restoring my eggs, unless it's announced that I should. I'm not really all that upset about the 2 new release eggs I lost because I replaced them. What I can't replace, though, is the CB silver with a laid date of May 25th - my birthday - that I caught right before midnight cave time.

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

Maybe it sounds harsch, but people can only viewbomb you if you don't be carefull with your eggs and let them.

If you catch a cb gold, or silver, or whatever you hold very dear, just hide it for a day! Take off your scroll name if you are worried they might hurt your entire scroll.

And, the best advise, if you don't want to hide your egg:

Hide your scroll and only unhide to add it to fansites. (and hide it again) Because many sites need your scroll name and if you hide your scroll, people can't add it to those sites.

If you hide your eggs the first 24h, it's very hard to kill them in a few hours.

Sorry, might sound harsch, but that's also the game, taking care of your eggs, even while someone tries to hurt them...

Part of the problem is that viewbombing has spread from the sites to the forums. I don't have my name on my dragons' pages, so no one can trace my scroll from an egg I caught and add it places. So when someone added all of my eggs everywhere last night it was because something here led them to do so.

Here's why I think that's an issue that's worth addressing - it's been happening lately that during some rather passionate debates, people on one side or the other have been getting viewbombed. And since it happens to a group of people on a given side of the discussion at the same time, we know it's related to that. At that point, it becomes a tool to shut down other posters, punish opposing opinions, and discourage participation.

That's not okay and, IMO, that needs more than a "just take better care of your eggs" solution, because having to hide everything all the time so that people aren't maliciously killing your eggs is bad enough, but having to do it so that you can offer productive input to discussions here is ridiculous. Eventually people are just going to stop participating and then we've really lost something valuable.

It is true that there's a reasonable amount of care that people should take with their eggs. But if people have to have a "hide in a bunker" mentality to play this game then there needs to be some adjustments made.

@schmupti

Well, considering I fogged everything before I could go through my list of fansites to check. Saving my eggs was slightly more important to me than going through every fan site. So.. yea, I'm going off numbers. I'm an admin at the DBC and I know darn well that my eggs couldn't have gotten more than 25 UVs from the member only hatchery in the amount of time I had them there. And as for Soti's I'm guessing maybe 30 UVs from there from time of entering them in, if I even did. Like I said, I fogged the eggs before checking.

Dial it back, please. I wasn't trying to offend or attack you.

As others pointed out earlier in the thread, sometimes people use the word 'viewbombed' or believe they were viewbombed simply because their eggs/hatchlings racked up higher numbers than they expected. Being clear about the situation, the results, etc., helps everyone, because it pins down non-malicious problems (e.g. more views during releases, tinsels & shimmers getting sick easier) vs. actual malicious behavior.

Maybe it sounds harsch, but people can only viewbomb you if you don't be carefull with your eggs and let them.

If you catch a cb gold, or silver, or whatever you hold very dear, just hide it for a day! Take off your scroll name if you are worried they might hurt your entire scroll.

Hide your scroll and only unhide to add it to fansites. (and hide it again) Because many sites need your scroll name and if you hide your scroll, people can't add it to those sites.

If you hide your eggs the first 24h, it's very hard to kill them in a few hours.

Sorry, might sound harsch, but that's also the game, taking care of your eggs, even while someone tries to hurt them...

However true this might be, it doesn't solve the problem. I don't like the argument "you were harassed because you let it happen". So should we live with the fear of being viewbombed, behave in a paranoid manner and follow these steps just in case some idiot wants our eggs dead?

I actually do all of it, because I'm that paranoid since this event started and everyone got their eggs sick, even if it was due to the high traffic of hatcheries. But when I keep my scroll hidden, I can't help wondering what's the point of playing Dragon Cave if I cannot show my scroll for anyone who wants to see it at any time.

Dial it back, please. I wasn't trying to offend or attack you.

As others pointed out earlier in the thread, sometimes people use the word 'viewbombed' or believe they were viewbombed simply because their eggs/hatchlings racked up higher numbers than they expected. Being clear about the situation, the results, etc., helps everyone, because it pins down non-malicious problems (e.g. more views during releases, tinsels & shimmers getting sick easier) vs. actual malicious behavior.

Dial what back? I wasn't saying that you were attacking me. You asked a question and I answered. But I'm sorry you took it that way.

Any and all attitude in that post was meant for people who commit legitimate view bombing and the people who try to say it's people's own fault for posting an opinion or *gasphowdarethey* catching/breeding/trading an egg that someone else wanted.

The best solution to the view bombing problem is for people who are jealous or whatever of other people's scrolls to leave them alone and focus on catching their own eggs.

That would be ideal, yes, but it isn't going to happen. The people who do it are either jealous or angry at something someone said, or just like to be jerks...in other words, the least likely to do what you suggested.

I can remember when the alt black and alt vines eggs stopped looking different. There were also still multiclutches at that time, IIRC I do believe some people threatened to viewbomb any of their hatchies that alted, because if they if couldn't have them no one could. Some people are just malicious.

So, until there is a way to definitely stop such people, we are stuck with making suggestions, and keeping a very close eye on everything we have.

It is true that there's a reasonable amount of care that people should take with their eggs. But if people have to have a "hide in a bunker" mentality to play this game then there needs to be some adjustments made.

To this I can only say Amen!

I have been hiding everything this weekend every time I will be away from my screen for two hours or more. Frankly it makes the game a real pain to play and is taking away my enjoyment of the game. It should not have to be so!

This goes so far beyond taking "reasonable care" of your eggs!

Have you found your eggs in other hatcheries, or are you just going by numbers?

It's possible that these two hatcheries are extra busy during the new release (hatcheries often are), and eggs could rack up far more V/UV in just Soti and DBC than you would usually see. And given that shimmers are extra sensitive to lots of traffic...

...I can confirm that AoND was/was one of the hatcheries used. I was giving views just now and saw http://dragcave.net/lineage/sEIWs as one of the broken shells.

I usually wait a day or two before putting eggs into a hatchery since they're more likely to get sick at the beginning. Also, if you catch it quick enough, using incubate will help as well! As a result, I've rarely had to fog eggs (:

...I can confirm that AoND was/was one of the hatcheries used.  I was giving views just now and saw http://dragcave.net/lineage/sEIWs as one of the broken shells.

Thank you. I've unhidden my scroll and so far, I've found my dragons in Silvi's - which I would have only entered my hatchlings into - Eggs Around the World - which I don't use - Valley Sherwood and DragHatch- where I only use the ERs, except when hatchies under 5 days need extra views to gender. So, I guess I can hide my scroll again, and I'll just fog everything sick or not, until I'm sure they're out of any other fansites; but which won't do any good for forums or click exchanges.

Yea, this seems like I'm taking "reasonable care" of my scroll and not doing anything unnecessarily cautious.

May I ask why we have the "enable aid" function, if there's no way to ensure that people follow our wishes and not add things, and, from what I've seen, no repercussions for people who do?

Edit: I cannot spell.

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

Just stopping by and reporting that I've been a victim of viewbombing as well. (no its not the dead hatchie in my scroll, that was really my forgetfulness)

In the past 1-3 days, I've had eggs/hatchies suddenly gain up to 4k to 6k views in 1 day. Good thing I caught them before they died. But when I was adding my dragons on Silvi's lair for the first time, I found 2 of my hatchies (Gold tinsel and Blusang) were added there without my knowing. They are not ERs so I don't see why someone would 'help' me with them. Probably for now I'm going to fog my scroll >.<

@ainisarie

That's just horrible, absolutely horrible. It's weird how there's more attacks during this mass release than any other time. Interesting....

@smurfette

Oh man... your CB Silver...

@Delira

It's best to wait it out with everything you have hiddened and protected until this stops. Also to others being bombed, do the same.

Bombing is just ugh. Just leave the poor people alone bombers. Stop being jelly and actually do something productive like get your own eggs instead of killing of others because you're to jelly. Only if stopping it was that simple as tracing it back to whomever is the bomber. Sadly, we can only hid and hope. Good luck to everybody and stay safe!

I've now lost a total of 3 eggs. The best solution to the view bombing problem is for people who are jealous or whatever of other people's scrolls to leave them alone and focus on catching their own eggs.

Edit: No, I will not go PMing TJ about restoring my eggs, unless it's announced that I should. I'm not really all that upset about the 2 new release eggs I lost because I replaced them. What I can't replace, though, is the CB silver with a laid date of May 25th - my birthday - that I caught right before midnight cave time.

Part of the reason I suggest pming TJ about lost eggs is to help him to see how widespread the problem is. If he knows how many are being affected, it may help him to decide whether to take any action or not.

hey, yeah I don't actually have my scroll name visible on dragon pages. And when I mentioned it on IRC (yes I did do that, but didn't show it) I was under an unknown alias.

So in order for someone to find that gold they'd have to have know my scroll name or be targeting me through the forums. And in neither case would it be because of what I said in IRC.

I guess the most likely avenue is the trade threads. Anyway I certainly am more cautious now just in that I check them regularly and fog before bed but that's a pretty terrible thing to have to do on a game.

Vigiliance is great and all, but it shouldn't be the only solution.

When the Royal Crimsons were released, it took me quite a while to finally be able to catch some. I was very careful with where I posted my eggs and they hatched without a hitch. I had three hatchlings then and they were doing ok.

I went to bed with all three hatchlings having around 1-2k views.

I woke up to one (the one closest to maturing) being sick and having 13k views! Seeing as I had all three of them only in two sites, and the other two didn't gain many more views over night, *somebody* must have deliberately viewbombed my oldest RC hatchling.

I fogged it as soon as I woke up, but it was too late. It died.

That upset me a lot, since I'm usually very, very careful with my dragons and haven't had any die from either neglect or viewbombing before. It really galled me to see a healthy, almost grown-up hatchie die from someone's sheer malice.

So yes, this is a current problem.

I think a poll would really be good, just to find out how widespread this is... And then we should let TJ know. Because I'm sure there is *something* that can be done...

I added a poll here. Hopefully that's okay.

Sorry about your crimson, poor baby sad.gif

I added a poll here. Hopefully that's okay.

Sorry about your crimson, poor baby sad.gif

Voted!

I was quite upset. And the tombstone kept staring at me for days on end... >.<

So now I fog and hide. *sigh*

I'm so sad sad.gif

It's awful to read all your posts here sad.gif

I think I'm lucky, then, I'm not being viewbombed (and I have a Shimmer between the new release dragons). I don't usually use AoND.

I always put the eggs on Dragon Dump. Then I wait a day and post them in Draghatch and Valley Sherwood. Nothing has ever happened to my draggies, and I hope nothing is ever gonna happen sad.gif

Voted in the poll. I chose the first option because it reflects the fact that I've been view-bombed recently, but personally I can't say I've experienced anything absolutely extraordinary for my case. What I mean is that I am view-bombed all the freaking time anyway... xd.png

I have to agree with what has been mentioned here: something has to be done about all the view-bombing. It's been a huge problem for a lot of people (including me, have been dealing with it for a long time already), and in all honesty I don't think that it's *us* who are supposed to be over-protective and paranoid about our scrolls and automatically assume that some verykindperson, let's say, will definitely decide to attack our scrolls. To me, it seems just like saying that if your house got robbed it's only your fault and the robber should be left unpunished.

I think that it's those people who break the rules who are to be punished (or the act of view-bombing that has to be prevented), not us, who lose our dragons because of that and apart from that realise that nobody will help.

@ainisarie

That's just horrible, absolutely horrible. It's weird how there's more attacks during this mass release than any other time. Interesting....

@smurfette

Oh man... your CB Silver...

@Delira

It's best to wait it out with everything you have hiddened and protected until this stops. Also to others being bombed, do the same.

Bombing is just ugh. Just leave the poor people alone bombers. Stop being jelly and actually do something productive like get your own eggs instead of killing of others because you're to jelly. Only if stopping it was that simple as tracing it back to whomever is the bomber. Sadly, we can only hid and hope. Good luck to everybody and stay safe!

It's because people assume that they won't be noticed, what, with all of the high traffic sites bring in at these sorts of times. there are literally thousands of eggs/hatchlings in clicksites at these points -- i can get 4,000+ views on an egg by self-bombing alone, and 5,000+ with hatcheries.

no, i do not bomb other's scrolls. i prefer numbers that are over the top so i don't have to worry about dead things on my scroll if i'm away for a few days or more.

I got viewbombed while I was at school mad.gif The only casualty was that one of my day 3 eggs died...

There's a ton of traffic going through the hatcheries right now, which is giving everything way more views than normal. How many hatcheries did you have them in? Even just AoND alone is getting a lot of traffic lately, as it's one of the more popular sites. It's possible they just got naturally overloaded rather than attacked. You can check this by grabbing a fresh CB egg, not adding it anywhere for a day, and seeing if it still gets massive amounts of views. If it does, you're being attacked; if not, it's just the increased traffic.

I haven't been viewbombed that I know of. I put my grabs this week in AoND when they hit about 6d 4h, so they get enough views and I can incuhatch them right away. But they haven't even gotten a single crack by hitting 5d and I stick them in other hatcheries. I only ever use the first 4 listed on the Wiki [not using 'Dragon Breeders Cave' all that much] and I haven't gotten a sick egg in several months.

But once I saw this thread, about the viewbombing, I fogged all my growings when I went to bed. I've caught several 'coppery' eggs so far and fogged those right away. Won't unfog until tomorrow, since they're hard to catch and people might VB out of jealousy.

I think this one, at least, should be reported. That is special and irreplaceable and it's downright not fair. And if you're only wanting that one replaced, out of 3 lost, sounds like a reasonable request.

Someone has tried to bomb my scroll in the past couple of hours. Guess its time to go back to hiding my scroll when I won't be around. rolleyes.gif

I thought of something while I was updating my settings. I don't want to hide my scroll. I like showing it off. There's a setting to hide all adult dragons, and keep growing dragons visible, and I wish there was the reverse. I want to be able to show off my adult dragons without anyone seeing my growing dragons, so I can keep them safe.