Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of my coworkers gave me a button for my desk that says "People who go the extra mile just don't know about shortcuts" tongue.gif

It's not a solution. For one, a lot of people REFUSE to use any site that requires them to enter their password (for security reasons no less).

Actually, the API login sends you back to the dragcave, where you would enter your password and then get re-sent to the site that asked you to verify your identify with that API login. You can see how that works if you go to EatW and try to set up a trade there at the dragonmarket.

So, it's not like you would need to enter your password on the fansite itself.

Since AoND is still down, I went to enter in several other sites. The first 4, including AoND, don't enter fogged ones although AoND can display them and their gender/view/health status. "Egg Drop Soup" will add fogged eggs. The others I checked didn't.

Since AoND is still down, I went to enter in several other sites. The first 4, including AoND, don't enter fogged ones although AoND can display them and their gender/view/health status. "Egg Drop Soup" will add fogged eggs. The others I checked didn't.

Silvi's is another that does, if you add by code rather than by scroll.

I wanted to mention to the continued naysayers...

Honestly, with all the vitriol and nastiness being spewed at anyone who says, "Hang on, are you talking about situation A or situation B?" or "Are you aware that traffic spikes during new releases?" (because not everybody is), I've started to wonder if some of the folks being viewbombed aren't being personally targeted, and the timing is just coincidental. I know I've lost all sympathy for most of you.

Snaplinks has been banned on DC for a long time.

I've never heard of that being the case and a search or look at the rules reveals nothing. Altering the website to gain an advantage in catching dragons is against the rules. But, that is not what it does. If you want to point out where that is listed and why, by all means. I also threw in a /report with a direct question to the mods because I don't want to hijack this thread with an argument about why it should or shouldn't be.

I've never heard of that being the case and a search or look at the rules reveals nothing. Altering the website to gain an advantage in catching dragons is against the rules. But, that is not what it does. If you want to point out where that is listed and why, by all means. I also threw in a /report with a direct question to the mods because I don't want to hijack this thread with an argument about why it should or shouldn't be.

They're banned as in they simply don't work. You get an error if you use snaplinks, or at least I do.

OT: Snaplinks does not currently work with Firefox because they updated Firefox, but the makers of Snaplinks have not yet updated Snaplinks. Unless one goes and gets the beta version off their test site. Then it works just fine. That happens with pretty much every Firefox update. Sometimes it takes them a few months to fix it.

Not banned, no. It's just discouraged to use snaplinks for grabbing eggs or for mass-viewing dragons on fansites, as far as I know, but nobody can forbid you to take care of your own scroll properly.

I'm pretty sure TJ (or a mod) outright said that Snaplinks was banned from use on the site because it qualifies under the whole "Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users." part of the terms and conditions. I'm not sure of the penalty, but I would stop using it right away.

To clarify:

Terms and Conditions

http://dragcave.net/terms

Cheating

You agree that you will not attempt to "cheat" or bypass any site restrictions in any way. Cheating includes, but is not limited to:

Attempts to force or trick users to click your eggs, hatchlings, or dragons without their consent

Abuse of any bugs or glitches in the site's code.

Using browser addons, scripts, or other tools that modify pages on the Dragon Cave site in order to give users of said addons an advantage over other users.

~I will let TJ know about this discussion and see if I can get his opinion.~

Edited by _Z_

Thanks Z.

Snaplinks doesn't help when grabbing eggs because it takes longer than a normal click. It doesn't automate the clicking for you nor does it modify a page. But it does let a person use their right hand and their mouse instead of their left and the keyboard. Which is why I use it. I had a finger hyper extended backwards in a car wreck so using my left hand gets painful. If I didn't use snap links, I'd be using my gaming mouse and setting up one of the extra keys as ctrl or saving a tab group.

I won't suggest everyone else bend their left fingers backwards so as not to have an unfair advantage over me tongue.gif

Thanks Z.

Snaplinks doesn't help when grabbing eggs because it takes longer than a normal click. It doesn't automate the clicking for you nor does it modify a page. But it does let a person use their right hand and their mouse instead of their left and the keyboard. Which is why I use it. I had a finger hyper extended backwards in a car wreck so using my left hand gets painful. If I didn't use snap links, I'd be using my gaming mouse and setting up one of the extra keys as ctrl or saving a tab group.

I won't suggest everyone else bend their left fingers backwards so as not to have an unfair advantage over me tongue.gif

Snaplinks does create an unfair advantage, in my opinion, because it takes longer for someone to click all three available links then it does to click/drag the snaplinks box. But, i'm almost positive this same conversation came up before and TJ or a mod said the application was cheating and it was essentially 'banned' from use.

Also, i'm not sure if your keyboard is smaller, but mine has the ctrl button on both sides, so no need to switch hands. Also, I usually shove a playing card under the shift button to keep the ctrl down so I don't have to stretch my hand from the ctrl to the f5.

Snaplinks does create an unfair advantage, in my opinion, because it takes longer for someone to click all three available links then it does to click/drag the snaplinks box. But, i'm almost positive this same conversation came up before and TJ or a mod said the application was cheating and it was essentially 'banned' from use.

Also, i'm not sure if your keyboard is smaller, but mine has the ctrl button on both sides, so no need to switch hands. Also, I usually shove a playing card under the shift button to keep the ctrl down so I don't have to stretch my hand from the ctrl to the f5.

Vhale is suggesting the use of snaplinks for fogging. The only advantage here is the fact that your eggs are less likely to die if some viewbomber gets smart and tries to kill your eggs.

Honestly, with all the vitriol and nastiness being spewed at anyone who says, "Hang on, are you talking about situation A or situation B?" or "Are you aware that traffic spikes during new releases?" (because not everybody is), I've started to wonder if some of the folks being viewbombed aren't being personally targeted, and the timing is just coincidental. I know I've lost all sympathy for most of you.

I know for sure that some times can't be personal. One of my sisters yesterday caught a Gold in the cave. She didn't put the egg in any hatchery, she does not have a forum account and she does not go to irc. Well... 15 minutes later, the egg was sick, with 1000+ views and 100+ UV.

Someone that was not able to catch the egg, decided that if he/she could not have it, nobody else would. Small people in this world..

Mice are typically right or left handed, switching hands isn't an option. I do go ahead and use the ctrl key for new releases and just grin and bear it on the discomfort. It gives me incentive to click faster.

If someone really wants to try to use snaplinks to snag all three eggs in the cave, more power to them. I'll be hovering over the last egg on the right and I'll click it before they finish dragging. They can enjoy their blockers locking their scroll and I'll keep my prize.

TJ was also rumored to hate easterns.

I'm starting to wonder if you've read all the posts.

When someone catches a rare egg and does not enter it into any hatcheries or anything at all, but it begins spiking views and they find it entered into hatcheries, obviously it is an attack on them, not an increase in site traffic.

And you must have missed the posts by myself and several others where we dumped our eggs/hatchies into a ton of different viewsites... and got a rather low amount of views.

There is a Stop View-Bombing now! thread in breeding join now! It lets you tell stories of how you were view-bombed. Be a member once you have a precious dragon an much more!

There is a Stop View-Bombing now! thread in breeding join now! It lets you tell stories of how you were view-bombed. Be a member once you have a precious dragon an much more!

Yeah feel free to use the thread for all your advertising needs, not like we have a topic and a discussion going on >_>

Anyway IMO snaplinks for fogging should be fine. It's not providing an unfair advantage to the player, and, if anything, viewbombing is providing an unfair advantage to the viewbomber.

Honestly, with all the vitriol and nastiness being spewed at anyone who says, "Hang on, are you talking about situation A or situation B?" or "Are you aware that traffic spikes during new releases?" (because not everybody is), I've started to wonder if some of the folks being viewbombed aren't being personally targeted, and the timing is just coincidental. I know I've lost all sympathy for most of you

Some people could have been nicer, but if you look at say, my original post, heck, the subtitle; "On hatcheries I wasn't before, why?", wouldn't you think that some of the victims know the difference between traffic and viewbombing?

This thread's original purpose, when it was a help thread for me when I was viewbombed, was "what do I do?", not, "what's happening?", it's never been a question of is it viewbombing, bt a question of how to stop it.

i just had to hide an egg that only has 15 hours left since someone decided to viewbomb it. i dont want it getting sick so i am keeping it ffogged till tomorrow. in an hour it got over 1000 views thats too many too quick for my liking

Its horrible

MESSAGE FOR VIEWBOMBERS:

Stop you HORRIBLE people! No need for viewbombing! Jealous people are NOT allowed on here!!!

~Topic reminder:

This topic is staying open only if it is productive, does not call any members out, does not resort to name calling and does not break any forum or SD rules.~

Its horrible

MESSAGE FOR VIEWBOMBERS:

Stop you HORRIBLE people! No need for viewbombing! Jealous people are NOT allowed on here!!!

Izzy, name-calling isn't going to convince them to stop.

Instead:

What do you gain by view-bombing? Are you doing something that makes you feel better?

Edited by Onixthebunny1