Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's not exactly true.  It might be, from the point of controlling who puts what eggs where, but approaching it from our end isn't undoable.

If this is going to be an ongoing and widespread problem, then fine-tuning some of the currently proposed sickness BSAs could address it.

Also, changing the results of sickness could work.  The point of it seems to be to prevent pointless server usage, encourage active caring for eggs/hatchlings, and add an interesting facet/obstacle to game play.  And while death is, of course, the best motivator because it's the permanent loss of the egg, I'm not sure that much motivation is needed to achieve those goals.

If for every hour an egg/hatchling was sick X amount of hours were added to it's minimum hatching time, that would probably be enough of a motivator to get people to check in.  At that point, viewbombing would be annoying and inconvenient, but not the distressing problem it is now.  And I think that people would be less likely to long term hide their scrolls/turn off their names of their dragons' pages if the result of viewbombing wasn't often death.

HEY - how about a BSA to set it so that eggs/hatchies cannot be added to fansites without - I dunno - some EXTRA bit of code ?

But the API login thing - it is easy enough to viewbomb eggs using sigs on other forums; sadly fansites are NOT all that's needed sad.gif So as I say - it ISN'T something TJ can totally fix.

Edited by fuzzbucket

HEY - how about a BSA to set it so that eggs/hatchies cannot be added to fansites without - I dunno - some EXTRA bit of code ?

I think that would be a great idea. It would fit the Guardians a lot more than some of the other suggested BSAs for them.

TJ could look into it, and if he finds one ISP responsible, he can do something. It would be hard, though not impossible, for one person to put as many eggs as this is affecting into signatures to get this result. Those who have checked have been finding their eggs in fansites.

There was a forum at one time that was coming here collecting eggs, posting them in signatures and killing them. TJ blocked that forum's ability to post our eggs in signatures at all. So, there could be something he can do.

Three of my eggs were posted yesterday between the time I caught them, and the five hour cooldown, when I had planned to AP the misclick. If it weren't for me watching for the time, I might have missed the problem.

I did hide my scroll, and the egg I caught after that hasn't gotten any views at all. I will be keeping a very close watch on my eggs/scroll til this ends.

aww poor you the same thing has happened to me when i logged on once i found 2 dead shimmer-scale eggs and 2 2nd day relese eggs DEAD on my scroll along with 2 sick black cap eggs and a sick genderd black hatchling so i have gone ahead and hidden all of my eggs

How do you tell which hatcheries your eggs are in? Do you physically have to go and check them yourselves, or does it show up somewhere?

You have to physically check. I'm just going to watch the stats my eggs gather and fog them when needed. Let the troll raise them for me.

TJ could look into it, and if he finds one ISP responsible, he can do something.

TJ said once that he cannot see what happens on a fan site. He doesn't have access to their info, only to the cave's and the forum's.

I thought he might be able to trace by what happened to an individual egg, but perhaps not. Well, we know how to safeguard ourselves, though a lot of newbies are likely to lose eggs if this keeps up. Maybe if he is aware, he can at least give us a chance to ask for egg revival since this isn't the fault of the players?

But the API login thing - it is easy enough to viewbomb eggs using sigs on other forums; sadly fansites are NOT all that's needed sad.gif So as I say - it ISN'T something TJ can totally fix.

Despite the general "BSA for EVERYTHING" attitude commonly found on the forums, this is a major security feature and as such, should be added to the account page instead of forcing people to collect some dragons to use it.

Ideally, changes should be made to the API that if the scroll owner has turned the "secure API" option on, it will force the person who entered the scroll name to log in before supplying information to whatever site that is attempting to use the API to gain information. If the option is off, however, nothing changes and life proceeds as usual.

Edited by CNR4806

So as I say - it ISN'T something TJ can totally fix.

Sure he can. He could do referer whitelisting.

*wheels in old soap box*

Every time your egg/hatchling gets a click or a view, in the majority of browsers (going by the data from my employer, who does webgames, the rate should be about 97%), it will tell dragcave.net what site the egg/hatchling is embedded in, or the link is posted on.

If there was a feature on the site that let you say "Restrict where my clicks and views can come from: Yes [x] No [ ]", and for the 'Yes' case a maintainable list of the sort "I accept views/clicks from these websites", and then put a list of domains in a textbox (for example, lair.silverdrak.de, www.coup-detat.info and mirror.dailydragonfix.com), it'd be easy to filter out everything else.

In my opinion, this would be much better than relying on all decentralised places to adopt an authorisation feature.

*wheels old soap box back out*

Edited by pinkgothic

I may be mistaken, but it is my understanding that hatcheries have the ability to "turn on" forcing members to log on thru the API, but the various hatcheries for reasons of their own don't choose to use this capability. Perhaps if we request that they do this, they will do so.

But thing is - you don't have to use the API to blitz things.

I understand people can find different means of viewbombing a person other than using hatcheries, but in my opinion, I find them to be the most used method because it's simple and doesn't take very much effort. And it's more likely different hatcheries will get the work done.

As an aside, all cases reported in Help are not instances of viewbombing.

If one finds one's eggs posted in fansites where one did not post them, that is viewbombing.

But there have been a few instances where it seems someone has posted an egg too soon or too frequently in sites and it has died from overviewing and that has gotten labeled viewbombing, or where no clearcut case has been established for viewbombing.

Viewbombing is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. Having fansites require passwords would be a good start, and pinkgothic's idea sounds interesting, as well.

Several of those posting recently have found their eggs in places where they hadn't been posted. My eggs hadn't been posted anywhere by me and gained 200+ views in less than an hour. I suspect someone posted them somewhere. You are right that often what happens is not view bombing, but what is happening right now appears to be just that.

Some of us have been victims, and feel sympathy for everyone whether it is

a mis-time of hatching a Sunrise/Sunset, Day or Night Glory, or a deliberate

viewbombing.

Pinkgothic's whitelisting is most interesting but too much a pain for most

people to mess with.

I saw this recently, though it is an old posting, and think it would be a most

welcome way to handle this issue:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=4294234

Some of us have been victims, and feel sympathy for everyone whether it is

a mis-time of hatching a Sunrise/Sunset, Day or Night Glory, or a deliberate

viewbombing. 

Pinkgothic's whitelisting is most interesting but too much a pain for most

people to mess with.

I saw this recently, though it is an old posting, and think it would be a most

welcome way to handle this issue:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=4294234

The thing about the BSAs, which I have supported in the past, is that they require certain dragons and that tends to leave new players most exposed to viewbombing. Since they're also least likely to expect it, know what to do about it, or even be aware of that BSA, the chances of egg/hatchling death are much higher for them.

So a BSA offers some protection, and when this was a smaller problem it seemed like the best way to go, the growing incidents make me think that addressing the matter probably shouldn't be dragon dependent.

Well, I'm not sure who's doing this, but they got me, as well. I caught a CB silver yesterday for my birthday and it just died because someone decided to view bomb my entire scroll. I even had hatchies get sick. It probably won't be the last egg of mine to die, either. I had 2 shimmers and a CB gold, also and I doubt they'll make it through either. I hadn't put any of my eggs in anything but maybe Soti's and the DBC member hatchery and they all got about 400 UVs in about 10 hours. I guess that'll teach me to celebrate my birthday on DragCave. I hope they're sooo happy with what they've done. dry.gif

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

Well, I'm not sure who's doing this, but they got me, as well. I caught a CB silver yesterday for my birthday and it just died because someone decided to view bomb my entire scroll. It probably won't be the last egg of mine to die, either. I had 2 shimmers and a CB gold, also and I doubt they'll make it through either. I hadn't put any of my eggs in anything but maybe Soti's and the DBC member hatchery and they all got about 400 UVs in about 10 hours. I guess that'll teach me to celebrate my birthday on DragCave. I hope they're sooo happy with what they've done. dry.gif

I think those who have lost eggs to this should pm TJ. If he realizes how widespread it is, he may revive some of those lost items. It really isn't our fault.

I was recently view bombed, a shimmer and a cb gold. I caught the cb gold in time the next morning and fogged it with about 500 views (caught it right before bed, showed NO ONE, put it nowhere)

And someone viewbombed a shimmer I was holding and hatched it before I had the chance to gender it -.-

Nothing died, but that shimmer did gender wrong and when your shimmer collection is as meager as mine it's a big deal tongue.gif

Anyway, yea. I didn't put much thought into it, but it's the first time I can remember that happening to me.

We could do a poll in site discussion asking whose had it done, but specifying that it's from people who found their eggs in excess hatcheries or when they had not posted them at all.

I was recently view bombed, a shimmer and a cb gold. I caught the cb gold in time the next morning and fogged it with about 500 views (caught it right before bed, showed NO ONE, put it nowhere)

And someone viewbombed a shimmer I was holding and hatched it before I had the chance to gender it -.-

Nothing died, but that shimmer did gender wrong and when your shimmer collection is as meager as mine it's a big deal tongue.gif

Anyway, yea. I didn't put much thought into it, but it's the first time I can remember that happening to me.

Usually reports of viewbombing are few and often far between. This is the worst outbreak I have ever seen. So many and for this great birthday release. Such a shame.

I haven't been bombed yet, but I am sure it is going to happen soon. I'll wait a few minutes and see if anything happens.

Edit: I waited some time, and nothing happened. I think I'm one of the lucky non-targets ^^;

I think I'll be safe. I won't have to worry about watching my new shinies ^^

Back on topic, you do need to PM TJ because the bombing is happening so much. I'm really sorry that such censorkip.gif***s are on DC. sad.gif

Edited by animals4501

Well, I'm not sure who's doing this, but they got me, as well. I caught a CB silver yesterday for my birthday and it just died because someone decided to view bomb my entire scroll. It probably won't be the last egg of mine to die, either. I had 2 shimmers and a CB gold, also and I doubt they'll make it through either. I hadn't put any of my eggs in anything but maybe Soti's and the DBC member hatchery and they all got about 400 UVs in about 10 hours. I guess that'll teach me to celebrate my birthday on DragCave. I hope they're sooo happy with what they've done. dry.gif

Have you found your eggs in other hatcheries, or are you just going by numbers?

It's possible that these two hatcheries are extra busy during the new release (hatcheries often are), and eggs could rack up far more V/UV in just Soti and DBC than you would usually see. And given that shimmers are extra sensitive to lots of traffic...

Maybe it sounds harsch, but people can only viewbomb you if you don't be carefull with your eggs and let them.

If you catch a cb gold, or silver, or whatever you hold very dear, just hide it for a day! Take off your scroll name if you are worried they might hurt your entire scroll.

And, the best advise, if you don't want to hide your egg:

Hide your scroll and only unhide to add it to fansites. (and hide it again) Because many sites need your scroll name and if you hide your scroll, people can't add it to those sites.

If you hide your eggs the first 24h, it's very hard to kill them in a few hours.

Sorry, might sound harsch, but that's also the game, taking care of your eggs, even while someone tries to hurt them...