Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i think someone tryed to do it to me just yesterday or it was just my paranoia. i recently caught the new eggs and i was looking at my scroll and i noticed that strangely the view count on the fresh eggs started to go up. i never put my eggs in hatcherys till 5 days or less.

i refreshed a couple of times to see if it was just random views appearing over time and i just havint refreshed it or if they were going up quickly. they were going at a low steady pace, each time i refreshed i got 1-2 views every second. so me being paranoid i hid them for the rest of the day.

I think this one, at least, should be reported. That is special and irreplaceable and it's downright not fair. And if you're only wanting that one replaced, out of 3 lost, sounds like a reasonable request.

i agree thats just cruel to have that happen to that kind of egg. a restoration of it could be a second birthday present from dragoncave. =]

I lost two self bred gold eggs last week to this.

now my shimmer egg has been fogged due to it

and my three pink new releases are being constantly fogged and unfogged too...

sad.gif

I lost two self bred gold eggs last week to this.

now my shimmer egg has been fogged due to it

and my three pink new releases are being constantly fogged and unfogged too...

sad.gif

If your eggs had been killed by viewbombing, their pages would say "died of sickness" and not "has been killed". Do you always kill your eggs when they get sick?

Many hugs and cookies to those being viewbombed. I will be gifting lots of 2nd gens after this fiasco is over, so maybe I can help you guys get all the breeds. wink.gif

I suggest either incubating or waiting a full 24hrs before putting them anywhere. It usually works for me.

I suggest either incubating or waiting a full 24hrs before putting them anywhere. It usually works for me.

Just be aware that incubating doesn't change an egg's vulnerability to softshell, since that one is calculated by the egg's age, not by the time left until it can hatch/will die.

It became evident that I was being Viewbombed even before a brand-new new egg I'd entered nowhere began to pick up Views, although I left it for a bit to be sure that was the issue, got distracted for a while, and wound up Fogging it, while it remained sick for 5 hours with 160 Views.

The misclick I'd picked up afterward was fine, lol, gained no views at all.

I'm pretty sure that at least the initial Viewbombing was somebody engaging in petty malice because I'm on the 'other side' of an issue, although the entry of the first new red egg I'd managed to miraculously catch came later, and I HAD mentioned it on the related thread, so that could have been a more generalized nastiness.

So there's a whole lot of Foggin' goin' on...

Just be aware that incubating doesn't change an egg's vulnerability to softshell, since that one is calculated by the egg's age, not by the time left until it can hatch/will die.

I understand that. They aren't complete safe unless they are in ER condition. It is just usually a method that works for me personally.

Edited by Moonbeam22

If your eggs had been killed by viewbombing, their pages would say "died of sickness" and not "has been killed". Do you always kill your eggs when they get sick?

Mine never say that when they are killed by sickness. the amount of views they had were more than enough to hatch a gold egg from past experience.

I NEVER kill my eggs when sick, the fogged egg on my scroll is sick and is a shimmer...

I understand that, but the more time they have, the more vulnerable they are to softshell. They aren't complete safe unless they are in ER condition.

It's not "the more time they have", it's "the less time since they have been laid/stolen". If you just bred it 5 minutes ago, it will be only 5 minutes old (and thus very vulnerable), no matter if you incubate it or not.

Mine never say that when they are killed by sickness. the amount of views they had were more than enough to hatch a gold egg from past experience.

I NEVER kill my eggs when sick, the fogged egg on my scroll is sick and is a shimmer...

This one (it's not mine, but it's dead anyway, I just saw it at valleysherwood) says that it died of sickness: http://dragcave.net/lineage/Phuvo

If your eggs say instead that they got killed, you might want to check your action log next time one dies on your scroll.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I gave my Eggs just to AoND.

Now I want to go to bed and I am checking my scroll again just to see my eggs got bombed!

One of my "Pennys" is sick now!

I checked the "main" hacheris like SilvysLair and ValleySherwood and found my Eggs there too!!!

So I fogged all my Eggs and Hachies.

Maybe I will hide my scroll too...

Edited by SilverQuetzal

It's not "the more time they have", it's "the less time since they have been laid/stolen". If you just bred it 5 minutes ago, it will be only 5 minutes old (and thus very vulnerable), no matter if you incubate it or not.

This one (it's not mine, but it's dead anyway, I just saw it at valleysherwood) says that it died of sickness: http://dragcave.net/lineage/Phuvo

If your eggs say instead that they got killed, you might want to check your action log next time one dies on your scroll.

Ah, okay. My eggs rarely get sick (since I usually don't have many on my scroll), so I never looked into it. xd.png

This won't fix past sickness, but I'd suggest not counting on the hatchery sites to automatically purge your fogged eggs. Or for the users of those hatcheries to click and remove - if you've been bombed, go into all of the sites and remove your eggs yourself would be my suggestion.

Right after teleport came in, we confirmed EDS doesn't remove fogged eggs months ago when making NDs. The eggs stay around fogged, and when unfogged, if they are ER, they'll go right into the ER-fast-viewing population. It really messed up ND experiments for a few days until figured out.

I'm not entirely convinced that some of you aren't just adding your eggs to hatcheries way too early. I mean, adding to just Neglected can get you 100-300 views per hour. That would be enough to kill an egg that is younger than 6 days old.

Viewbombers tend to target RARE eggs. Golds, Silvers, Shimmers, etc. Probably a lot of them lurk on the Congratulations post, waiting to kill off some rare eggs. It's highly unlikely that there are a massive group of people view bombing your common eggs. Unless you've recently angered someone on the forum, it's unlikely that someone would take the time out of their day to viewbomb your common eggs.

Atm there is a "rare" dragon dropping.

It is said that they will become rare like golds/silvers.

And it looks like many people have problems to catch them?!

It could be there a some jealeous people wich do not can see the "Pennys" on someons scroll sad.gif

Edited by SilverQuetzal

Silvi's lair tends to hold onto fogged eggs too. I've found AotN usually purges them.

and Mystictiger, how would you know what a View Bomber "usually" does? Why is it that every view bombing thread people come in and basically tell people that have been view bombed that they are clueless newbs? It's plain old victim blaming.

And really, massive number of people view bombing eggs? One person using copy and paste with each hatchery in another tab, could put plenty of them in there. Anyone that has done a neglected experiment has had to do that. It doesn't take 5 seconds to add a scroll to a hatchery. And with autofill on, they wouldn't even need to type it out again.

Silvi's lair tends to hold onto fogged eggs too. I've found AotN usually purges them.

and Mystictiger, how would you know what a View Bomber "usually" does? Why is it that every view bombing thread people come in and basically tell people that have been view bombed that they are clueless newbs? It's plain old victim blaming.

And really, massive number of people view bombing eggs? One person using copy and paste with each hatchery in another tab, could put plenty of them in there. Anyone that has done a neglected experiment has had to do that. It doesn't take 5 seconds to add a scroll to a hatchery. And with autofill on, they wouldn't even need to type it out again.

Thats right

something i just want to bring up

a lot of people are confusing view bombing with heavy traffic lately.

not every single case of sickness is view bombing. there's been a lot of sickness going around because of how many releases there have been. it's just heavy traffic to view sites since there are so many and so much going on all at once.

view bombing is when your egg gets hundreds upon hundreds of views within minutes. if your egg is just getting sick every few minutes but isn't gaining many views, that's NOT view bombing. that's just the release traffic.

just hide them for a few hours, hide them when you go to bed, etc. don't confuse traffic with view bombing, though.

something i just want to bring up

a lot of people are confusing view bombing with heavy traffic lately.

not every single case of sickness is view bombing. there's been a lot of sickness going around because of how many releases there have been. it's just heavy traffic to view sites since there are so many and so much going on all at once.

view bombing is when your egg gets hundreds upon hundreds of views within minutes. if your egg is just getting sick every few minutes but isn't gaining many views, that's NOT view bombing. that's just the release traffic.

just hide them for a few hours, hide them when you go to bed, etc. don't confuse traffic with view bombing, though.

This.

People may just be trying to be nice and click everyone's eggs, but since the site are so busy, good intentions have negative impacts on users.

Edited by Moonbeam22

MysticTiger, people are saying on here that they are adding eggs to ONE hatcherie or NO hatcheries and later finding their eggs added to hatcheries they don't use. Fortunately *touches wood* I've not been a bombing victim AFAIK, but I think I know one way it might be happening - at least this birthday event.

When eggs drop and you rapidly click on an egg to catch it, only to see "unfortunately someone else caught the egg"... the address at the top includes the code of the egg you tried to click on.

So even with a hidden scroll, fogging the eggs and not telling people in the forums what you caught, the other person after the same egg as you knows the code for it, and that is enough to add it to some hatcheries if they're a spiteful sort, angry that you got what they wanted. That option occurred to me because I notice some of you said you were getting viewbombs really soon after catching an egg.

If that is one way bombers are getting egg codes, an easy solution would be if it was changed so the you-didn't-get-the-egg message links you to a generic page instead of one with the egg code in the address.

MysticTiger, people are saying on here that they are adding eggs to ONE hatcherie or NO hatcheries and later finding their eggs added to hatcheries they don't use.  Fortunately *touches wood* I've not been a bombing victim AFAIK, but I think I know one way it might be happening - at least this birthday event.

When eggs drop and you rapidly click on an egg to catch it, only to see "unfortunately someone else caught the egg"... the address at the top includes the code of the egg you tried to click on.

So even with a hidden scroll, fogging the eggs and not telling people in the forums what you caught, the other person after the same egg as you knows the code for it, and that is enough to add it to some hatcheries if they're a spiteful sort, angry that you got what they wanted.  That option occurred to me because I notice some of you said you were getting viewbombs really soon after catching an egg.

If that is one way bombers are getting egg codes, an easy solution would be if it was changed so the you-didn't-get-the-egg message links you to a generic page instead of one with the egg code in the address.

Ugh.. thank you. I was getting sad that there were so many "noobs don't know how hatcheries work" posts in here. It really just shows how little of the thread those people actually read. Not to mention, being called a noob after 6 years on the site is a bit annoying. rolleyes.gif

But I was really posting to say that I support that idea. If you can get to the code page and see who caught the egg, you can add the person's entire scroll to a hatchery because so many of them now use the to API "add scroll" or "view scroll". Then the person can see how many rare eggs you have and add those, or even simpler: Just click the "check all" box and add your entire scroll. So, the fact that some people have had the "common" Penny eggs viewbombed doesn't negate the chance of someone maliciously adding their (my) eggs to sites that aren't normally used. Sadly, a feature that would show a randomized code during the drop and then populate the egg's 5 digit code once adopted, would probably be a pain to code. However, it might be worth posting a topic in "suggestions and requests" about it.

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

This won't fix past sickness, but I'd suggest not counting on the hatchery sites to automatically purge your fogged eggs.  Or for the users of those hatcheries to click and remove - if you've been bombed, go into all of the sites and remove your eggs yourself would be my suggestion.

Right after teleport came in, we confirmed EDS doesn't remove fogged eggs months ago when making NDs.  The eggs stay around fogged, and when unfogged, if they are ER, they'll go right into the ER-fast-viewing population.  It really messed up ND experiments for a few days until figured out.

It doesn't matter, at least not initially, if a hatchery doesn't remove fogged eggs. It can't get sick while fogged, can't gain any views.

For the long term, meaning when you unfog so it will gain views, then there would be a problem. Solution could be just keep fogged until ER status, and then keep an eye on it until it hatches/grows up. If it's an egg, fog it right after hatching.

This.

I've done something SIMILAR. I miss an egg I really wanted, I'll just put the code into my browser and check every once in awhile. Sometimes I see the owner make a neat lineage out of it.

Hiding the code would mean I can't do that, but compared to preventing people viewbombing from jealousy?

You'd also have to change the egg [it does this in Biome at least] so mousing over the (?) icon won't tell you its code.

I moused-over for the Cavern Lurker Halloween release to pick what code I wanted to have. Again, losing this is worth preventing the method of getting codes fo viewbombing.r

This.

People may just be trying to be nice and click everyone's eggs, but since the site are so busy, good intentions have negative impacts on users.

No, they are NOT being nice. Adding fresh dragons to 6+ hatcheries is NOT nice. And real newbs? They don't know about hatcheries. So a real newb wouldn't be able to find them.

I remember on Everquest in the spot where peopel gathered to trade, there was always a "newb" bemoaning about how they had no gear. People would give them thousands of gold in gear to "help". Well when they moved the trading area to an obscure place, those same "newbs" showed up the very first day looking for "help". They got chased out quick. Because no real "newb" would know how to find that area.

I shouldn't get irritated. But it's really frustrating to see people white-washing someone adding a scroll to 6+ hatcheries as a "newb" either as having done it or had it done.

Yes sad.gif It almost killed several eggs and hatchlings and killed my CB Nebula, which I desperately needed because I need a female red CB one to complete a line and pay off an IOU mad.gif

Sadly, a feature that would show a randomized code during the drop and then populate the egg's 5 digit code once adopted, would probably be a pain to code. However, it might be worth posting a topic in "suggestions and requests" about it.

I am not one who really cares that much for codes, but there are people who do, who would be most displeased to try for a funny or epic or whatever code, only to find it is something else.

View bombing occurs...posting codes to too many sites too early after a release occurs. If you know you did not post your eggs in places they appear, I think it's pretty obvious which it is.

I have a feeling that if whoever it is (or they are), is reading this thread, all these posts are like feeding trolls.

Lol, just caught another of the 'pennies', having shut down FF and used Chrome, immediately logging out.

I ran CCleaner and got FF up again, and the new egg I'd just caught had already accumulated a number of Views and U Views, having, by the time i copied it, 33 V & 16 UV.

I did put it into DDF just a moment ago, and am letting it stay unFogged for a while, with frequent checking, although I'll have to fog it shortly as it now at - wait while I check - 83 V, and 45 UV, increasing not at superspeed, but quickly enough for an egg at 7D.

That's the sort of sneaking rate people are less likely to notice, but that could kill an egg fairly quickly, especially if left unFogged overnight or for any length of time.

Now at 85V & 46 UV.

Perhaps more like a fusillade than a bombing, but it evidently began as soon as I caught the egg, unmentioned to anyone.

Have to go figure out how to check and see if my scrolls on EATW or wherever...