Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,039 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

something i just want to bring up

a lot of people are confusing view bombing with heavy traffic lately.

not every single case of sickness is view bombing. there's been a lot of sickness going around because of how many releases there have been. it's just heavy traffic to view sites since there are so many and so much going on all at once.

view bombing is when your egg gets hundreds upon hundreds of views within minutes. if your egg is just getting sick every few minutes but isn't gaining many views, that's NOT view bombing. that's just the release traffic.

just hide them for a few hours, hide them when you go to bed, etc. don't confuse traffic with view bombing, though.

I'm not entirely convinced that some of you aren't just adding your eggs to hatcheries way too early. I mean, adding to just Neglected can get you 100-300 views per hour. That would be enough to kill an egg that is younger than 6 days old.

Viewbombers tend to target RARE eggs. Golds, Silvers, Shimmers, etc. Probably a lot of them lurk on the Congratulations post, waiting to kill off some rare eggs. It's highly unlikely that there are a massive group of people view bombing your common eggs. Unless you've recently angered someone on the forum, it's unlikely that someone would take the time out of their day to viewbomb your common eggs.

I'm just going to add here, that i've been adding my eggs to one of the larger "problem hatcheries" (AoND), during the event, and have gotten..nothing sick, so far. In fact, i usually have to add my eggs to the ER to get them to hatch xd.png So..definitely not a traffic issue. (I've also been adding my eggs at around 5 days or so, which is probably helping with the view-bombing problem..but not with the constant ER-ing)

What i'm trying to say here is, these people probably know what they're doing, but are getting their eggs added to multiple hatcheries, which, no matter what you do, is going to seriously hurt a non-ER egg.

You'd also have to change the egg [it does this in Biome at least] so mousing over the (?) icon won't tell you its code.

I moused-over for the Cavern Lurker Halloween release to pick what code I wanted to have. Again, losing this is worth preventing the method of getting codes fo viewbombing.r

....That would significantly impair my ability to catch anything from the biomes, unless the mouseovers had a unique URL for each egg that was independent of the egg's actual code.I don't disable scripts or styles or images or anything when I play, and seeing the destination URL change is how I can tell if the page is done refreshing or not- if the egg I'm looking at is a new one or if it's the same one that I just failed to snag.

Also, this option would only address one source of viewbombing- people could still attack a user by finding their scroll via their forum posts or seeing their eggs posted in signatures or other hatcheries. I would much prefer a single solution (such as the whitelisting option that's been discussed elsewhere in this thread) that would address all sources of viewbombing simultaneously.

3 eggs that I caught yesterday and had not entered anywhere all collected 200+ views and were all sick in less than 1 hour from me catching them. I repeat: I HAD NOT ENTERED THEM ANYWHERE! Many of the people who I am crediting with actually having cause to suspect view bombing have either had that same experience, or on investigation found their eggs posted in 6 or more hatcheries that they don't habitually use.

Please stop telling us that we have no idea what is happening to us. Look at what we are saying. We either have not posted our eggs at all or we are finding them posted in places we know we didn't post them on.

....That would significantly impair my ability to catch anything from the biomes, unless the mouseovers had a unique URL for each egg that was independent of the egg's actual code.I don't disable scripts or styles or images or anything when I play, and seeing the destination URL change is how I can tell if the page is done refreshing or not- if the egg I'm looking at is a new one or if it's the same one that I just failed to snag.

How so? In the URL of your catch/failed-catch, there's already a randomized code, plus the actual code of the egg. The randomized code would be different for each egg. That's how you'd tell if it was a new page or not.

And then I mentioned mouseover text. I doubt I can do it on this forum, but it's the html code for "alt text" or in the image tag for "alt". Removing/changing that shouldn't hurt your efforts at egg-hunting.

Syphoneira, you said you put it into "DDF". If that's a hatchery, then that's about the correct view increase for adding an egg to just one hatchery right now.

(Edit: DDF is a click site, not a hatchery, btw, and you do not get many or high numbers from using it.

(I use DDF and Silvi's for new eggs all of the time, even in Releases, and my new eggs do not get Sick there.

(I've been raising eggs since Oct. 2008 and using fansites very nearly that long, something typical of many of the people I've seen reporting this issue on this thread - some of these people act as mentors,and I doubt we've all suddenly lost our years of experience together at this time, lol. End of edit.)

(Re:edit: has anyone ever got 135 V & 71 UV from Daily Dragon Fix in a half hour or so before? since it was added well after the egg had started accumulating views and U Views.)

Lol, this was AFTER it'd already picked up 33 V & 16 UV, being entered nowhere, my having simply caught it, run the CCleaner and logged back in.

The egg was caught, not entered anywhere, I spent 10 minutes? logging out of one browser, using the CCleaner, which takes minutes, logging back in and looking at my scroll.

And I wish DDF gave those numbers, lol.

At 7D, it's now at 112 V & 58 UV and will soonbe fogged, as I've just now re-fogged another Red egg unfogged earlier today and Sick again already.

I'm one who does tend to warn about increased Views during Releases, and have been watching out for that.

Not that mine tend to get Sick, Releases or not.

I'm also one of those who strongly suspect that this is due to my and others being on the opposing side of an issue.

I could be mistaken about the latter, although a number of others also are reading the signs the same way I am, but the former has repeatedly proven itself and I have by now gone from thinking that it could be someone posting my dragons to being quite sure.

Too many 'Penny' eggs, especially, picking up way too many Views and UVs without even having been entered anywhere.

Now, I did just go to EATW, which I've never used, no idea if you get auto-registered or not, but I was asked to enter the name under which I'd registered - that term specifically - and to indicate which dragons I wanted them to care for.

I unclicked all of mine, but don't know how to have my scroll removed, or how to unregister it, assuming the term is not being misused.

Perhaps that's a site that simply looks as though your dragons may have been entered - but mine have definitely had someone enter my dragons somewhere, and lately, each Penny I catch seems to be added immediately, so I suspect automatically, at a hatchery.

Can anyone tell me how EATW works, for people starting there who have never used it?

Is registry required, or are their scrolls simply produced with the dragons all clicked in green?

Edited by Syphoneira

No, they are NOT being nice. Adding fresh dragons to 6+ hatcheries is NOT nice. And real newbs? They don't know about hatcheries. So a real newb wouldn't be able to find them.

I remember on Everquest in the spot where peopel gathered to trade, there was always a "newb" bemoaning about how they had no gear. People would give them thousands of gold in gear to "help". Well when they moved the trading area to an obscure place, those same "newbs" showed up the very first day looking for "help". They got chased out quick. Because no real "newb" would know how to find that area.

I shouldn't get irritated. But it's really frustrating to see people white-washing someone adding a scroll to 6+ hatcheries as a "newb" either as having done it or had it done.

I wasn't talking about adding people's eggs to hatcheries. Just vuew/clicking in general. Eggs get viewbombed without people adding them to sites.

Can anyone tell me how EATW works, for people starting there who have never used it?

Is registry required, or are their scrolls simply produced with the dragons all clicked in green?

EATW will not automatically add your eggs...you have to enter your scroll name, then click the eggs or hatchies,, then enter. The only one I know of that will enter without you realizing it is Valley Sherwood, if you let it. That is to say, it is easily prevented.

Edited by ainisarie

ETAW asks for your scroll name and retreives the information, then asks which eggs/hatchlings to enter like AoND.

if there are checkmarks by your eggs then they were entered by someone.

Just had to fog some eggs now, as regular views are going up and I don't have them on any sites... dry.gif

How so? In the URL of your catch/failed-catch, there's already a randomized code, plus the actual code of the egg. The randomized code would be different for each egg. That's how you'd tell if it was a new page or not.

And then I mentioned mouseover text. I doubt I can do it on this forum, but it's the html code for "alt text" or in the image tag for "alt". Removing/changing that shouldn't hurt your efforts at egg-hunting.

Which is why I said " unless the mouseovers had a unique URL for each egg that was independent of the egg's actual code". As it stands, the mouseover currently provides a destination in the format of "dragcave.net/get/(code)". If it instead provided different randomized codes, that would serve the same function.

I still believe that it would be best, if possible, to implement a single solution to address all eggbombing rather than trying to create different solutions for each potential source.

Also, while I don't think our BBCode supports proper alt text or title attributes, you can add a link to an image, which provides the same 'destination URL on mouseover' that I'm talking about.

Example: user posted image

I logged in earlier to four sick eggs that I bred yesterday and hadn't put into any sites yet. -___- Kind of annoying. I fogged them, hid my scroll and removed my name from egg pages for now.

Which is why I said " unless the mouseovers had a unique URL for each egg that was independent of the egg's actual code". As it stands, the mouseover currently provides a destination in the format of "dragcave.net/get/(code)". If it instead provided different randomized codes, that would serve the same function.

I still believe that it would be best, if possible, to implement a single solution to address all eggbombing rather than trying to create different solutions for each potential source.

Also, while I don't think our BBCode supports proper alt text or title attributes, you can add a link to an image, which provides the same 'destination URL on mouseover' that I'm talking about.

Example: user posted image

Ah, my mistake. blink.gif Somehow I thought there was an actual mouse-over text, not just the source URL down at the bottom.

The reason I support individual solutions is because the blanket one might have holes.

And individual solutions might miss out on certain cases, which is why both would be a good idea.

EATW will not automatically add your eggs...you have to enter your scroll name, then click the eggs or hatchies,, then enter.  The only one I know of that will enter without you realizing it is Valley Sherwood, if you let it. That is to say, it is easily prevented.

Also: brairtrainer

ETAW asks for your scroll name and retreives the information, then asks which eggs/hatchlings to enter like AoND.

if there are checkmarks by your eggs then they were entered by someone.

Thanks to you both for your information.

With Valley Sherwood, it's easy enough to remove dragons you don't want posted there yet - I do a gradual increase of fansites per egg and normally never have Sickness or problems, and they usually hatch/growup right on time, with the exception of some Tinsels/Shimmers..

I don't use EATW, though - do I have to contact Ext3h to have my scroll removed?

It does appear that my dragons are being automatically or frequently re-added, though.

I had the site still up, I tried to 'manage my scroll' again, and it came up with all of my dragons checked, although I'd unchecked them not long ago.

And this seemed to indicate that registration may be necessary - and I've never done so or used this site.:

http://dc.makegames.de/scroll.html

Note: When you use these codes they will show any eggs and hatchlings that were registered to this site, not only yours. ...

contacting him may have him remove your eggs if he notices they are there, but your scroll isn't really attached to EAtW, they access the info through the source provided for fansites. I'd fog and when you're online check there regurlarly and remove them if you find them.

The mouse-over codes are a problem, but they could be kept. I don't know about you guys, but during a heavy drop like this even if I see the mouse-over code I'm too distracted to be able to pull a number and letter code - with capitals and lower case letters- from memory with reliable accuracy. But the code in the link is static, and can be referred to at leisure.

It seems to me that we're getting a lot of view-bombing right now, which makes sense if it's vindictive because people are having trouble going after these exciting eggs, so it's exactly circumstances like these- when honestly you don't really have time to BE picky on codes - and when tensions are high, that extra protection is needed.

Would it be more reasonable if the workaround was something that could be switched on and off at times when the viewbombing reports reach a height, like at the moment? I mean, great codes are great, but what good is a great code if the egg gets made ill? sad.gif

contacting him may have him remove your eggs if he notices they are there, but your scroll isn't really attached to EAtW, they access the info through the source provided for fansites. I'd fog and when you're online check there regurlarly and remove them if you find them.

Thanks!

There are such silly people around, aren't there?

So lucky they're outnumbered by so many great ones!

Lol, just Fogged the new egg as Sick having 203 V & 95 U views at 6D 23H - has anyone using Daily Dragon Fix ever got those kind of numbers?

I've been using it for...don't even know how long, and never have... not over the course of a day, either, never mind over the course of... perhaps an hour?

Guess I'll just keep Fogging along, lol, 2 at the moment, and I suppose the others will get their quota as I go, whether I post them further or not.

I don't use EATW, though - do I have to contact Ext3h to have my scroll removed?

And this seemed to indicate that registration may be necessary - and I've never done so or used this site.:

http://dc.makegames.de/scroll.html

No, it works exactly like AoND and Valley Sherwood. Type in your scroll name and you can add or remove any or all of your eggs and hatchlings.

Thanks!

There are such silly people around, aren't there?

So lucky they're outnumbered by so many great ones!

Lol, just Fogged the new egg as Sick having 203 V & 95 U views at 6D 23H - has anyone using Daily Dragon Fix ever got those kind of numbers?

I've been using it for...don't even know how long, and never have... not over the course of a day, either, never mind over the course of... perhaps an hour?

Guess I'll just keep Fogging along, lol, 2 at the moment, and I suppose the others will get their quota as I go, whether I post them further or not.

No, I've never gotten numbers like that from DDF. The eggs that were attacked yesterday are doing well, and I'm keeping my scroll hidden except for a few moments for adding things to hatcheries, and watching my scroll like a hawk for unusual activity. I hate this.

The mouse-over codes are a problem, but they could be kept.  I don't know about you guys, but during a heavy drop like this even if I see the mouse-over code I'm too distracted to be able to pull a number and letter code - with capitals and lower case letters- from memory with reliable accuracy.  But the code in the link is static, and can be referred to at leisure.

You don't right-click on the egg to open it in a new tab? And I only hit the "refresh" button when it's a single biome release. Otherwise I click straight through to the next biome there's a drop. I could then just hit the back button and mouse over to see the code of the egg I missed.

When I'm moving from biome to biome fast enough and closing out of my "catch" tabs so it doesn't kill my browser, I either hit the back button when the drop's done to see if I mis-clicked [this works if the drop is still on, as I can just refresh or move forward to another browser] or go to view all my dragons [i won't do this if the drop is still going, as it would take my attention away from clicking].

So there are ways, meaning there's reason to hide those destination URLs. Or as was suggested, just show the randomized sequence and hide the dragon's code.

Edited by SkylerFarrier

I'm pretty sure people are going around and trying to viewbomb lots of people's scrolls. A couple of my eggs and hatchlings got sick, so I'm now fogging all of the new release eggs I get until they are under 5 days. This is really annoying, seeing how people find amusement in killing other people's eggs.

No, I've never gotten numbers like that from DDF. The eggs that were attacked yesterday are doing well, and I'm keeping my scroll hidden except for a few moments for adding things to hatcheries, and watching my scroll like a hawk for unusual activity. I hate this.

Same here. I quit using DDF a long while back because it wasn't effective, and there were more efficient sites. Right now, my game plan is to hide my scroll, only add it to the DBC hatchery - where I can watch it like a hawk, fog everything when I'm not actively watching them, and add anything that hasn't hatched by 3d 23h by CODE to ERs. It's better my eggs hatch "late" than wind up dead. I have one that's still sick, but it should make it. I'm going to console myself with the thought that someone thought I was such a catching threat that they had to try to kill everything on my scroll - which only frees up more egg space to catch more of the rares they just viewbombed. Honestly... laugh.gif

I've been on this site since 2008, i've been viewbombed myself, i've talked to people who admitted to viewbombing and i've read many posts of people who have legitimately been viewbombed. In all of these cases, RARE eggs are the main focus, followed by people who have a vendetta against someone else. Very rarely is it just some joker out there who's just joking around. And if it is, he/she isn't going to go around adding a bunch of scrolls to a bunch of hatcheries. You know how much of a pain it is just to add MY SCROLL to a bunch of hatcheries? And even then, the site lags and you sometimes have to manually hit "select all" or, even click all of the eggs, and then submit. It's a long tedious process.

I'm not saying that everyone here isn't confusing one for the other, i'm sure there's a lot of legitimate claims. However, for this many people, all at once, to have the same problem while there is an overload of views at hatcheries? That doesn't strike you as odd? And have any of these users realized that "looking" to see if your scroll has been added at certain sites (such as valleysherwood) will automatically add your dragons, so it looks like they've already been added by someone else? Not to mention, these posts ALWAYS pop up during releases. Especially Holiday releases.

Princess_Pinkie basically restated what I was TRYING to get across. It's all about high traffic on one or two hatcheries, not one viewbomber going around and viewbombing every single new-ish person on this site.

So you are saying it's more believable that all these people are lying and making up stories about their dragons being added to extra sites?

You've been here since 2008? Great? Btw, this is my common. It was view bombed in 2009. http://dragcave.net/view/60qV It is not anywhere near as hard as you are implying to add a scroll to fansites. Most of them have a check all button. You don't need the codes at all.

And FYI, there are just as many people in the Day 4 and Day 5 thread complaining about hatcheries moving slow. Because there were over 150 ER dragons in AotN this morning because the release has reached a tipping point. People are snagging ER eggs out of the ap that they don't even need to incubate because now they really want that gold trophy.

I'm using AoTN, Silvis and Yarolds and I haven't had any issues with over viewing from normal traffic this entire release. But then, that is what people have repeatedly said. Their eggs are ending up on multiple fansites. This is not an accident. It's not newbish goodwill. It's someone being a jerk.

Edited by Vhale

Because I am a reckless adventurer I had not been getting enough views for my hatchlings to gender as quickly as I wanted, I decided to experiment on a couple of hatchlings I had, all of which had about 6 days and 5~3 hours left, a stat that for me had never resulted in my hatchlings getting sick. At that moment in time I had them in pretty much every fansite there was. I decide to self-bomb them by using autorefresh.

They had about 2800 views to 950 UVs which. By the time my experiment was over (i.e they had gotten sick) they had about 4500 views to 950 UVs in 20 minutes.

As a person who uses all the hatcheries, because I like my eggs to hatch quick and my hatchlings to gender fast, I can attest that the sudden increase in traffic is not the issue here. I've noticed that the day's eggs-the new eggs-do have a tendency to get views fast because people are unsure as to what they are. However when they reach hatchling status people don't seem to be as interested in them.

Also it's highly improbable, at least in my opinion, to gain that many views for the hatchling to get sick.

So yeah, if your hatchlings, not your eggs, are also getting sick, that's probably due to viewbombing.

No viewbombing problems here so far. I've had a few dragons get sick this event, but it's because they were new dragons. My old commons that hatched during this time were fine. If things did get sick at all, it usually was because I put them into too many hatcheries.

But then, that is what people have repeatedly said. Their eggs are ending up on multiple fansites. This is not an accident. It's not newbish goodwill. It's someone being a jerk.

I agree strongly with this. I've been lucky and haven't had any "goodwill" players or any jerks trying to kill my eggs so far this release, but then I've been fairly quiet as far as trading goes so far and keeping an eye on them... but during the latest valentine event, I was one of the few who was not happy with others being allowed to put whatever flower they wanted on MY scroll(and I still am not happy!), and when I voiced my opinion I was suddenly added to every site I could find and several that I didn't even know existed all within about an hour of making my post. Malicious view-bombing does happen. It's not just coincidence in most cases. I'm not saying that every sick or dead egg is from malicious view-bombing, but there are legitimate cases of people being attacked for reasons of jealousy or anger... or being attacked by someone who randomly tries to kill others' eggs because they're being an ass.

Edited by keijaidyyn