Delira

I'm being viewbombed

Have you been viewbombed recently?  

1,073 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I found you on at least three fansites, so it is possible you are using too many hatcheries right now. Fansites get really busy during new releases it seems, and the extra traffic can make your eggs sick. smile.gif

Meh. I only use a couple, so maybe somebody's getting my codes off a site and putting them in other sites. My scroll's hidden now and I'm getting ready to fog my eggs. Guess I'll just have to pay more attention! laugh.gif

I've had someone view bomb me before. >_< not cool. I wish people would take the time to ask or read.. i've had hatchlings die from sickness even with my scroll hidden from people taking the code and putting it in hatcheries... Perhaps most of the cases have good intentions but it's so frustrating!

I wish all hatcheries worked with accounts, not dragcave's account pf course but something that required a bit more of effort to put your scroll in them.

DDF does require you to login to add eggs/hatchies to the site. All self-serve hatcheries should implement that, it would go a long way towards eliminating this problem.

I know I just found my entire scroll posted to Valley Sherwood, which I only use when My eggs/hatchies are ER.

Well, suddenly, it's my turn. The eggs I caught today and hadn't entered anywhere yet, including a two-head misclick were apparently added to clicksites and are all sick. Phooey, on you unwanted helper. I can hide the new eggs, but will be dropping the Split soon to the AP, where it will likely die of all this attention.

Actually, hatcheries *could* work with DC accounts. Have a look at EatW's trade page, there you see an example of how a fansite can verify your DC account without having your password in its own database, or without you having to register at the fansite.

Fansites that use the DC api could add this easily, but I suppose they don't want people to have to enter their passwords first every time.

hatcheries do. if you become a member on soti, you can padlock your scroll so that only you can add things from it.

hatcheries do. if you become a member on soti, you can padlock your scroll so that only you can add things from it.

Except that this doesn't work either, I noticed today ... I entered my scroll and then I noticed that I wasn't logged into Soti's yet ...

Did you toggle the lock setting on? It looks like it defaults to off.

Did you toggle the lock setting on? It looks like it defaults to off.

Well, it probably defaults to OFF because the only available options are YES or NO. I posted in Soti's thread about this now, so we'll see what was the intention.

Either way, he does not use the API verification either.

I been getting sicks eggs, but in that case I decided it was just because I was trying to get the Glitter eggs hatched (more room for the next ones), I hid my scroll after that...nobody's touching my dragons.

People who viewbomb should be ashamed of themselves, they might think it's funny but for the person it's not...though I'm used to the seasonal rush.

Actually, it does work.

Scroll Check Failure

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but this scroll has been padlocked. If this is your scroll, please login and then add your dragons.

I logged out, then hit "add dragons" and entered my scroll name in the box. That is the result.

When you go to the Preferences page, set Padlock Settings to Yes. Then hit the change me button. It will then not let you add your scroll unless you are logged in.

Lucky you. Still, it does not work for me. I suspect issues with the space in my scrollname ...

(Not going to discuss this any further in this thread though, since it doesn't exactly help with the viewbombing issue ...)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Ah. That could be a problem. Still, it should work for most people.

There should be some guidlines put on the aid part, like maybe a person has to ask the person if they may add their eggs/ hatchlings then the owner should be the one who tells where the eggs should be put.

It would seem nicer than having people loosing eggs and hatchlings and it might help people that do want to help if they can get what the person want.

It could be like a notify. When the person logs into DC they can see the notify then check and be able to have a option, yes (then having the click sites), or no and the message disappears

So I logged on to dragcave today, and I noticed that my red hatchling, Serenity, was sick. I've never had a sick hatchling before, but I figured that there must have been some extra traffic on AoND, from all the new dragons. I fogged her, incubated a cap, and grabbed a new egg.

After about an hour, Serenity was okay, but I decided to leave her fogged in case she had a little "relapse" I guess. Unfortunately, my Magma Vaho, and my Thunder Zeck, were both sick! I fogged them, and my silver tinsel hatchling as well, and started checking other hatcheries, and lo and behold, I was everywhere! I started removing my dragons from the hatcheries, I fogged all my hatchlings, and I hid my scroll.

I didn't rip anybody off, and I try not to be rude, the sick dragons were all bred by me, the tinsel was caught from the AP, and you can't even view my scroll from a dragon's page. I didn't purposely destroy a lineage or anything like that. So why did this happen?

I'm not sure if my Magma is even gonna pull through, and I was so happy about him.

Anybody have any suggestions for why this could have happened? sad.gif

i had this happen to me once. i just ended up hiding my scroll that still didnt work so i just fogged all my eggs and hatchies that had 6 or more hours left

What with the new release with baby dragons en mass, people are trying to get lots of views so the click sites are going wild. A bunch of my eggs have gotten sick but they're okay now.

I don't think anyone targeted you in particular because it's not easy to get on person to appear on all the click sites all at once. It was probably just an unfortunate coincidence. Keep your dragons and eggs fogged until they're better and watch them carefully over the next few days.

I hope they all get better!

~LKG

What with the new release with baby dragons en mass, people are trying to get lots of views so the click sites are going wild. A bunch of my eggs have gotten sick but they're okay now.

I don't think anyone targeted you in particular because it's not easy to get on person to appear on all the click sites all at once. It was probably just an unfortunate coincidence. Keep your dragons and eggs fogged until they're better and watch them carefully over the next few days.

I hope they all get better!

~LKG

When your eggs are on sites that you didn't put them on, the only explanation I can think of is that someone else put them there. If you don't believe this is what happened, how do you explain it?

maybe tell TJ about this? he might heal your eggs back to health and such and then you can keep them safe after?

Thanks for this, Ruby Eyes. I was thinking about becoming a member, but not if it doesn't work ...

Soti's padlock is fixed, you can register now biggrin.gif It was indeed an issue with non-letter characters, like the space in my name.

maybe tell TJ about this? he might heal your eggs back to health and such and then you can keep them safe after?

I did pm TJ and tell him there seems to be a problem with view bombing and several threads about it. We'll see if he responds at all.

I did pm TJ and tell him there seems to be a problem with view bombing and several threads about it. We'll see if he responds at all.

I don't think there is anything he can actually do. The bombing happens off this site.

I'm the owner of the Gifting the Prize thread (shimmerscale lists are currently closed until June 1) due to the increased need of fogging and all that.

IF you are already on any of the lists in my thread - you HAVE nothing to worry about. You will not be removed from the list.

June 1, before we reopen the applications - I will be archiving lists, changing the proofs for June, and doing a scroll check on everybody that are on the lists.

So, ideally, if you need to keep an egg or hatchie fogged into June 1, then this is what you should do.

Unfog the egg or hatchie. 

Take a screenie of it (making sure the CODE is shown in the screenie). 

Upload it to whatever photo site you use. 

Send a PM to the thread account with the screenshot.

Doing the screenshot means that you don't have to go through the hassle of finding someone who is actively online at the same time as you are. Having the code shown will allow the mods to verify the ball of the fog is the same one that you screenied.

The night of May 31, anyone, on the lists in my thread, would be wise to make the screenshots and send them to the thread account pm. That will be how you can keep your list placement and still have fogged eggs.

Hiding scrolls is not doable if you want to stay on the list, tho.

June 1 and thereafter - this will BE a requirement, if you have a fogged egg/hatchie. If you have one and want to apply, make the screenshot first, send it to the thread account, then apply and add a note at the end of the application that you sent a screenie.

Thank you for reading all this - I am hoping to make sure people are not going to panic because they had to fog due to sickness.

It's also why I have closed applications until June 1 - to prevent this kind of event - by June 1, I figure most, if not all, the new releases will have hatched. (Well, not counting any extras that people go get later on, lol.)

Sincerely,

~Sunny

Edited by simkim

I don't think there is anything he can actually do. The bombing happens off this site.

That's not exactly true. It might be, from the point of controlling who puts what eggs where, but approaching it from our end isn't undoable.

If this is going to be an ongoing and widespread problem, then fine-tuning some of the currently proposed sickness BSAs could address it.

Also, changing the results of sickness could work. The point of it seems to be to prevent pointless server usage, encourage active caring for eggs/hatchlings, and add an interesting facet/obstacle to game play. And while death is, of course, the best motivator because it's the permanent loss of the egg, I'm not sure that much motivation is needed to achieve those goals.

If for every hour an egg/hatchling was sick X amount of hours were added to it's minimum hatching time, that would probably be enough of a motivator to get people to check in. At that point, viewbombing would be annoying and inconvenient, but not the distressing problem it is now. And I think that people would be less likely to long term hide their scrolls/turn off their names of their dragons' pages if the result of viewbombing wasn't often death.

Spoke too soon about the viewbomber for me stopping.

Woke up again to two sick eggs and my dragons in a bunch of hatcheries I didn't put them in. ._.;

I wish other click sites would take this situation more seriously because I worked hard to keep up to schedule so I can catch all of my dragons for this release, and I'll be really upset if some were to die on me because of others.

There should be an API login for hatcheries perhaps, like the one at the Dragonmarket.

Edited by gloryKAT

There is an API login available. Soti's uses it. I think perhaps the other fansites need to start doing so as well.