whitebaron

ANSWERED:Why do we sort?

I know what fsaber means with mechanics, not UI, but it is not relevant to this thread.

Please keep it just to your personal Reasons for "Why do we sort" - as stated in the opening post, the reason for this thread is solely to get input for all kinds of other threads where actual solutions can and should be discussed.

That way, we can differentiate better between wants/needs and just preferences. To, me, this thread has shown me a big deal - 90% of DC players want a "nicer scroll" than I do, in one form or another.

Edited by whitebaron

I sort my dragons manually into a 'rainbow' of sorts. I've never liked the 'rainbow sort' option that we have, it sorts them quite oddly and my OCD can't handle it. I would much prefer if it sorted by 'dominant color' instead of 'color average'. I also prefer to keep breeds together when possible, i.e. splits.

Quoting cause this is similar to my own reason for sorting. I actually got the idea from looking at other people's scrolls and eventually developed my own order. I also didn't like the 'rainbow sort' option, although that may be because I had my own order before it came out and was already used it to.

I voted for the ones that "belong together", but you should also file my vote beneath "I want to find my pairs/lineages easier for breeding".

I sort all my breeds together, females first, from caveborn down through the gens, then males, caveborn down through my gens as well.

I originally also sorted them by the order in which they joined my scroll. So I have a few "older dragons" behind the younger ones. With Metals, those dratted Prizes, and Holidays (Easter, Halloween, Christmas) at the very end of my sorted scroll.

When I joined projects for cave-clearing, Cave Plumbers, for example. Those dragons get sorted straight to the bottom, behind everything, with no order or labeling as to gender or origin.

I try to sort in this way, and consider that to be my "Default" sorting style. However, I do also like to sort types/uses together, and a bit of rainbow sort comes into play. For example, the first dragons I collected were waters, so water-themed/blue dragons start my scroll, followed by Pinks and Reds, because I wanted my BSA's on hand. If these new dragons similarly prove useful, they'll probably join in behind the reds.

please bear in mind that TJ did a university course in this kind of thing. if we make suggestions he can't do, he''l tell us such on the individual threads.... which is where this conversation should be happening in the first place.

but anyway, I would also quite like to be able to sort dragons by lineage, but that's not currently worth the time it would take.

I guess that if I was going to have a reason, mine would've been "so that my scroll is categorised" or words to that effect.

I... kind of sort? Nulling my vote Voted "Other" on the poll. My scroll on display is default sort. It allows people to see trends over time in the dragons I raise, and I'm also weirdly obsessive about keeping everything in chronological order. Also, I like that Swift balances my eggs on his nose.

On the other hand, on my scroll default sort is a huge chaotic mess.

So when I'm looking for something specific, like tracking breeds for which I still need frozens, I go to sort and hit Rainbow, save, then go back to the sort page and set it manually back to default with eggs/hatchlings on top. I use the sort page itself as a population tracker because I'm weird like that.

Emergent gameplay! YEAH!

I do, like, the same thing Lyth does! I'M COOL LIKE LYTH

Mine is sorted by "growth", but reverse, so it goes unfrozen hatchies, eggs, adults, frozens. I did this for two reasons: 1. I am obsessed with keeping them chronological too and 2. Most of my frozens are named after song lyrics, and there are two complete songs there: Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" and "I Want My Hands Back" from the show Futurama. If I sort the hatchlings chronologically, the song lines are in order, because that's how I named them.

The adults are just one big huge mess though, and whenever I want to breed something specific, I change my scroll sort to "breed" temporarily.

I would like to sort my adults by breed or color or something, but then the frozen hatchlings are out of order and I worked so hard on those songs, that's the most important thing to me. I would love to be able to have tabs that I could sort differently -- I'd have one tab for growing things, one for my favorite adults sorted specially, one for all the other adults sorted by breed, and one for the frozens sorted chronologically.

I clicked "other," because I use the custom sort. I have my dragons arranged in my

own version of "rainbow" sort, with a few things in places other than where they

would "belong." Like other people have said, I don't think there's one solution that

would work perfectly for everyone. However, I do like Cinnamin's tab idea.

I first started sorting my dragons with females at the top and males at the bottom, then I started putting m/f pairs at the very bottom, multiple males above that, single males above them and the females arranged the same way above the males.... now I'm not sure how to fit the holiday dragons and Dinos into all this... Right now all my holiday dragons are below my m/f sets and my Dinos are at the very top only below non-frozen hatchies and eggs. I also have them sorted by colour within their gender, number based groups.

I saw someone who had their scroll organized with paper dragons dividing their dragons into groups. I would ideally sort my dragons like they did, except I don't have any paper dragons. I'm still not sure if I'm happy with how my dragons are sorted at the moment.

I may switch them to just sorting them into 3 colour-sorted groups of males, females and m/fs and I guess I would put the dragons that don't have mates (papers,cheeses,trees etc) with the m/fs where they fit according to colour? I'm not 100% sure yet and I don't want to totally screw up the order that I have now by messing around with it too much.

I sort because I like to be able to sort to my personal preferences. I basically have breed sort, but I keep some variations--Balloons below Blacks, Sunstones and Moonstones together, a few things at the top, etc.

I try to collect one "family" of each breed. One each: Adult male, adult female, male hatchling, female hatchling and unsexed hatchling. So, naturally, I sort them by breed, to display each family together.

Same here too but other than that, I want dragons that "belong" together be together, so I try to sort it by elements so you have the water-related dragons, sky-related, fire-related, earth-related, etc. And then I lump the "extras" at the bottom. I just find it neater this way. And it looks easier on the eyes too (to me anyway). So I guess, in a way, I want my full scroll to look "nice" too.

I sort to try and find dragons... I sort by Name that lumps unnamed dragons together. I will resort to find my lineages, and breeds....

What I really could use is tabs to put dragons together by lineage, or use, or project, or naming...

There are certain dragons at the top of my scroll or as dividers for individual reasons, but mostly I sort my scroll around Breeding. Matched pairs by gen and unmatched single dragons by gen. I think I am the only one who puts CBs at the bottom of my scroll because how I'm going to breed them, well... they don't generally need or attached to a specific mate. If they get one I put them in the Paired off section.

Edited by natayah

I use default because

- I can't be bothered with custom sorting and I don't like any other style currently available.

- it looks more natural to me having my dragons scrambled randomly, I can't imagine them lined up by breed in their natural habitats xd.png

- I usually want to keep track on what recently grew up and/or needs naming etc, so I want my most recent dragons on first page.

Before I breed, I change view options from drop down menu to show "available for breeding" and "sort by breed" mainly to make breeding easy because I only breed metals and I've memorized what page they appear on after sorting by breed. Then I go back to the default.

I sort to have all dragons of a breed together, and to have the arrangement be attractive to look at.

I use a custom rainbow sort, which 'looks nice' so that's what I voted, but mostly its so I can easily find what dragons I want by breed and gender. I keep eggs and hatchies at the top between my first dragon and 'weyr leader' Ra'eo and my first alt black and 'weyr matriarch' Lady Amaranthe. Hatchies at the bottom to eggs at top in time left order

There are dragons who just grew up together.

There are dragons who belong to the same category (valentines, Xmas dragons, failshallows, pygmies, those with nice codes etc.)

There are dragons who are part of a lineage project or just belong to the same breed and for a reason it matters.

There is one three-liner poem written on my scroll as names for three dragons who are asked to sit together ever since.

There is one "family" that stays on the same page.

And of course, the showing off - those dragons on the top of my scroll have a reason to be there even if I have to hide them, most of the time.

(I keep my adults hidden or else I would never find the hatchlings among them.....)

Eggs and hatchlings at the top. After that are dragons for trade, then dragons who need names and to be sorted into their place on the scroll. Then I sort my scroll by generation then by breed to make breeding and finding lineages easier on myself. I used to put it in the name which ones were CB but I found that ugly. So I changed to this. I like it quite a bit, and only make breeding errors when I'm really not paying attention.

Tend to keep the metallics(since none of mine are even close to CB) and holiday dragons toward the end, just so I don't have to sort through them. My big lineage projects are always on the last page and are kept together. CBs first, then 2nd gens, and so on.

I breed sort, because other sort options either just don't work for me or there are parts to their function that I don't like.

I sort because I like to be able to know where each dragon is going to be so I don't have to go hunting around trying to find them from the unorganized mess I would inevitably be left with were I to choose a custom sort.

If I'm allowed to add this on, the reason I DON'T use custom sort is because moving even a single dragon out of place then requires you to manually sort every single dragon to get after that or risk having your scroll become a mess. That is something I would like to see removed if possible, so that I can move a few dragons where they need to be while the dragons I get after still automatically sort according to the sort order I choose.

If I'm allowed to add this on, the reason I DON'T use custom sort is because moving even a single dragon out of place then requires you to manually sort every single dragon to get after that or risk having your scroll become a mess. That is something I would like to see removed if possible, so that I can move a few dragons where they need to be while the dragons I get after still automatically sort according to the sort order I choose.

Alt custom sort gets around that.

I chose "I want to have the dragons together that belong together" but for me that often means by lineage project. Newer dragons I really like, but aren't using, tend to end up abandoned at the top, dragons I don't have a lineage use for get shuffled to the bottom, and the whole thing is a little odd because I never put in the time to really sort them when we got the ability to do it by something other than number.

I use reverse date so that my most recent dragons are first. This makes it easier for me to find the ones I have yet to name/describe.

I use Custom Sort- I click "sort by breed", then drag the genders into their spots. I use the 3 frozen hatchies as a marker of which dragons are CB, and which are lineaged.

i use rainbow sort, but it's a tad bothersome -- might switch to the default sometime soon.

I did not vote, as sorting is complex and I do not use one criterion.

I sort by breed, with eggs/growing hatchlings on top. And I have a couple of frozens that I like to position between my Adults and growing things -- which I have heard is easy to do with Alternate Custom Sort and takes very little time if one has a desktop computer, but I have a mobile device, so for me, it is inconvenient to redo this sort, which is why I support recoding the site making it mobile-friendly and allowing mobile devices the ability to drag and drop ( http://sewa.se/drag/ ). I also support pinning.

I hope to have a fancier sort over time, with dragons in different place markers throughout my scroll, but not if it is time-consuming to maintain.

If the sort I prefer becomes too much of a hassle to keep up with, I will go back to just sorting by breed.