whitebaron

ANSWERED:Why do we sort?

Hmmm, interesting question smile.gif

I sort by eggs and hatchies and then by breed, but I also like to sort/know where things are by lineage...

If there was an automatic way to sort by cb vs 2nd, 3rd, even gen etc then I would love that, but as it is, right now I am in the process of going through and naming all my cbs with a surname and then my other dragons will have a different naming scheme. This will allow me to tell at a glance which dragon is cb or not for breeding/showing to other people, without having to go through the arduous process of sorting everything manually.

I did used to sort by cb, 2nd, 3rd, etc before I defaulted to custom sort by breed and now I've moved to automatic sort by breed... I like having things organised by lineage but it's time consuming so I don't do that as much anymore because I have more dragons now (over 1000, I don't know how some with double or triple that do it! xd.png )

I kind of laughing as I read through everyone's replies, because my answer is "most of the above" in some ways. I voted "other" because while there is a method to my madness, it might not be immediately apparent to anyone but me.

At the top are the growing things.

Just beneath at the moment is the nice little chicken someone gifted me. She's "guarding" the rest of my adults.

Then comes the unnamed and unsorted group, waiting for me to get to them with names and registrations for the lineage (if they belong in a lineage - not all of them do) There are something like 500 waiting in this group. Oops.

Then is my Thuwed holly and a couple others that are in a special category. Just "keeping track" as the little frozen vine indicates.

Then are my Elementals. Those are sorted by Element then breed then (mostly) by generation. So, CB first, then second gens and so on. The elementals go on for quite awhile.

After them comes my non-elemental golds and silvers that are nice lineages, and my EPIC dragons.

Then are my Striped Flags and Christmas Flags - purebred stripes that are red, white and blue or red, green and white.

Then messy lineaged tinsels, golds and silvers.

Then my CB and other purebred stripes.

Then they're sorted by breed, by color.

Until you get to the Holidays. (the Holidays that aren't elemental, anyway...)

Then it gets Ridiculous.

that's kind of complicated, isn't it? Actually, it's worse than that, but I kept the explanation simple. But I want certain groups together and sorted a certain way within the group.

A way to move dragons by group, and into a tabbed system would be wonderful.

I voted "best dragons", but that's only partially true.

I sort keeping breeds together, with the dragons that I breed often--which are my metals, trios, and prize dragons--on top. I also like to show them off. What's the point of having a nice tinsel collection if you shove it at the back of your scroll?

I sort to keep the chaos of my scroll organized. But I'm a kind of all of the above when it comes to your options.

My dragons go: ones that are special to me at the top,

trades/IOU growing things,

my growing things together

my favorite dragons

my favorite pairs

my personal lineage projects

regular pairs

lineages I'm a part of

dragons with holiday parents that don't fall into other categories

another lineage that I've stopped working on

other dragons that fall in to none of the above

and name holders at the end.

Perfectly organized chaos xd.png

I voted "I want to have the dragons together that belong together" but that is only part of it. Second choice would be 'showcase'.. third choice would be to find lineages.

I want sortable tabs more than any other option being discussed on the forums. My MagiStream Keep is so much better organized than my DC scroll.. but I want my scroll to be sorted that well too.

I could live with tags, but it's not my first choice.

Mine is in a coustom rainbow sort, further split into male and female (there are, I think, one or two examples of males & females of the same breed not being in the same location because it didn't look right). Christmas/Valentine at the bottom. Growing things (and anything recently grown & not yet named) on the top.

I sort mine by, specials first (neglected, frills) then by Holiday, then Metallics, then my BSA's and then my favorite dragons, and then it's just kinda whatever goes. But all the dragons of the same breed are next to eachother.

I voted "Other."

I keep eggs, hatchlings and dragons that still need to be named at the top of my scroll (eggs and hatchlings so that they are seen first/clicked by scroll visitors, and unnamed dragons to remind myself to figure out names for them). Next are my personal favorite dragons (individual, not species, for whatever the reason may be -lineage, name, code, etc.-), followed by all of my other dragons grouped together by breed, and listed sort of with my favorite breeds first, but also by complimentary colors. I'm planning on throwing lineage project dragons between my personal favorites and others grouped by breed/favored breed/color in the near future.

Voted for "I want my full scroll to look "nice"."

Though there is more to it than it looking nice. Not only I keep my breeds in alphabetical order, but I also assign numbers to the genders and stages of the dragons. This also helps me to find the dragons based on their breeds, as well as sort it quickly without even looking for the number of the dragons.

For example:

I have Female Royal Blue that needs to be sorted. I assign number "316" to her, since Adult Female Royal Blues' number is 316. Should I have chosen to keep her as an hatchling, the number would have been 318.

Next I have to breed that Female Royal Blue to... say... Purple Male Nebula. I go to her breeding page and just search for breeds that start with letter "N" and end up skipping all the other breeds that I am not interested from.

I chose "I want to have the dragons together that "belong" together" but it's pretty much a toss-up between that and "I want my full scroll to look "nice"". For instance, I sort by breed, but I don't think it looks nice to have my adult dragons peppered with frozen hatchlings, so they are sorted separately over the last two pages of my scroll, in order of breed. I also like to sub-sort my dragons, first by breed and then by gender. I just think it looks nicer, especially for dimorphic species, and it lets me easily see if I have a gender imbalance.

I voted other because all of the above are true for me to varying degrees. Mostly though I just sort because large groups of things simply must be sorted. It is the way of things.

I sort them in several ways/for several reasons.

At the very top, I keep all my growing things, often along with a few recently-grown dragons that need names before I put them where they "belong."

I also tend to keep a few particularly nice/favorite dragons at the top. (Hollies, Neglecteds...)

Sometimes I move a few dragons from lineages I'm working on to the top, for easier access.

I have an area at the bottom of my scroll where I keep a lot of "miscellaneous" dragons. Not ones that I like any less, but "extras" of common breeds, potential future mates, lineage groups that I want to keep together, and big groups of BSA dragons, that I don't want messing up my usual sort pattern.

My "general population" of dragons is organized along these lines: For completion, I like to have 2 breeding pairs, a frozen 2nd-stage of each gender, and a frozen 1st-stage. So my "set" of each breed is grouped together as a sort of family. The order in which those sets are arranged is a mishmash of by order of ones I'm sentimentally attached to, plus an order that gives me easy access to frequently-bred dragons, and otherwise just my own aesthetic sense of which ones "belong" together for whatever reason.

I sort for a variety of reasons. 1. to make dragons I plan to breed or use for BSAs easier to find and 2. so I can see my prettiest dragons first when I get into my scroll and 3. so I can group family members by either lineage or made-up description (yeah, not really paying attention to how they're actually related sometimes).

So I clicked 'other' in the poll since there's no A&B option and C isn't even up there.

I voted I want to have my dragons together that belong together. In my mind that amounts to which dragons are most likely to live with which others. This means that each breed is grouped together, and ideally I would love it if a biome sort was implemented... that would be so awesome. In the meantime I just use the alphabetical sort, I am too lazy to custom sort my dragons according to their biome even thought that's what I would like best.

Also I really appreciate having the growing babies at the top, that is very useful.

I sort to make things easier for me to find. I'm surprised that that option wasn't on the poll. The way I sort is only for my convenience sine I keep everything hidden.

Yes. I always put the babies at the top. Otherwise, how am I going to track their development? Makes it real easy to figure out when I'll have more room for more eggs, either for myself or for people who need them in gifting threads.

I'm pretty sure everyone sorts in a fairly different way, and there is probably no clear overall avarage way that a majority of the userbase does it, so I'm not sure what this thread is trying to achieve, but ...

Anyway, I sort so that each breed is together, with CB's above lineages in each breed. I custom sort so that all my 'valuables' - Metals, Tinsels, Shimmers, etc - are at the top of my scroll. I try to sort so that I showcase my best dragons first effectively (which is the option I voted for), but I also sort for practicality, in keeping each breed together, CB's first and so on.

Edited by TheGrox

I'm pretty sure everyone sorts in a fairly different way, and there is probably no clear overall avarage way that a majority of the userbase does it, so I'm not sure what this thread is trying to achieve, but ...

In my last post in a "parent thread" i proposed a method which would allow nearly any kinds of sorting for common and practical usage. (regex search have high performance impact on server, so, no, no complex name search ^_^)

speaking of "abstract sort"

my sorting:

0. Growing dragons (TTL reverse sort)

1. Full list / breed sort.

2. 3-4 separate views with breeds that i love and collect + freezer.

3. Active breed pairs view/views (maybe i'll split them by projects)

4. Replace view (dragons that need a replacement - better lineage etc.)

That counts up to at least 8 views. And god only knows how much of views i create

semi-permanent.

PS. Speaking of performance - lineage view of complex lineages really slows down server. That part of dc engine needs redesign too. Or a mirror lineage generation dedicated server as ad-hoc solution.

Edited by Fsaber

I don't understand, why are you talking about views? What do views have to do with sorting? It doesn't look like you're sorting according to number of views.

I don't understand, why are you talking about views? What do views have to do with sorting? It doesn't look like you're sorting according to number of views.

I'm not talking about egg views.

View - relational model therm wiki Relational model

Edited by Fsaber

I sort based on what dragons I use. BSA dragons and Summon Trios are at the top, where it is easy for me to access them without scrolling through. I also keep dragons I breed a lot near the top for that reason too. THe rest, I leave based on my preference for their sprite. Those I like most are closer to page 1 than those I like least. I tend not to get eggs or hatchlings of the breeds farther back in my scroll, because it's a pain to get them back there after they grow up. *shrug*

Edited by Sirithiliel

I typically sort all my "useful" dragons highest on my scroll so I can find them easily.

Those would include all my BSA dragons and any of my rares.

Everything else was sorted according to breed or color.

Currently I'm sorting according to color because I couldn't stand having to move things manually when I had so many ER hatchies growing all the time.

I cannot imagine what those with 1000, 2000+ dragons go through when they re-sort. Or do they even bother re-sorting?

I have around 1600-1700 now. I usually sort manually, but it takes me several hours so I do it infrequently.

It's easy enough when you use alternate sort and page up/page down to scroll.

Edited by Pink

I just want a default setting that can sort dragons by species i.e. you can rank species in the order you want them to appear in.

Pick other because I'm OCD xd.png

My eggs and hatchies are firstly arranged between two 'guardians', the oldest at the top under the first guard , tree and zombies going down to eggs at the bottom to the second guard. Any glomps or trades are positioned above the top guard.

Then all my adults are sorted by color white, silver, pink, purple, red, orange, gold, brown, cream, green, blue, grey, black - assorted, pygmies, trios and non dinos. I kinds get antsy when a dragons color doesn't fit in and they end up in the messy assorted place with nebs and hellfires. I don't split genders even if it would make the colors fit xd.png

I'm not talking about egg views.

View - relational model therm wiki Relational model

So basically you're talking about a specific sort? Why not just say that?

I just want a default setting that can sort dragons by species i.e. you can rank species in the order you want them to appear in.

That'd be awesome. If I ended up with too many dragons to sort all the time, I'd just go with that one. It'd be way easier than trying to fuss with page up/down for twenty new dragons.

Edited by Wildcard999