whitebaron

ANSWERED:Why do we sort?

Maybe.

Personally, I don't sort any more. I used to, but with a scroll with thousands of dragons, no kind of custom sort is going to help me locate the dragons I need, so I save myself the trouble and use breed sort instead.

I'm not even really doing any breeding projects at the moment because finding the correct mates and keeping track of things is rather tedious. Which is a shame, really.

Another thing I would want to see is the ability to pre-sort eggs and hatchlings while still having them displayed on top of the scroll. I want to be able to determine where the hatchling goes once it grows up so I don't constantly have to check up on my freshly grown dragons.

To Update my original post - My only interest now in sorting is to make Breeding/Gifting Requests easier for others and have my "nicer" dragons towards the top/better displayed and paired dragons together for when I breed to make it easier. So Breeding still, but more for others than myself.

I voted "I want to have the dragons together that belong together" but that is only part of it. Second choice would be 'showcase'.. third choice would be to find lineages.

I want sortable tabs more than any other option being discussed on the forums. My MagiStream Keep is so much better organized than my DC scroll.. but I want my scroll to be sorted that well too.

I could live with tags, but it's not my first choice.

Found my original post and my opinion from 2013 hasn't changed much, lol.

The only real change is that as I grow more and more dragons, the lack of proper organization is becoming a more urgent issue. I have over 4,500 dragons now and finding just one in 19 pages of dragons is becoming tedious.

I'm not getting near as many breeding requests as I used to, because no one wants to go thru 19 pages of dragons to see what I have. Instead of could you breed dragon x with dragon y for me? I'm getting do you have such and such caveborn dragons available to breed? Meaning I have to go thru what I have and send them lists and links, just to see if they still want me to breed for them. Half the time they never bother to reply back because they're no longer interested or already found what they needed elsewhere.

And it goes both ways... when I look at someone else's scroll, I have no clue how their dragons are sorted and no idea how to find what I'm looking for. So I rarely even bother to make requests anymore (with a few exceptions from friends).

In summary, my primary reason for needing a new sorting method is ORGANIZATION.. because I can't find anything.

At the moment, I use custom sort and I'm putting my dragons in an order that might only make sense to me. First I'll be putting unbreedables, then dragons with BSAs, then regular dragons (in the order I catch the breed, but keeping all breeds together), then drakes, then pygmies, then two-headeds. As far as rares and holidays are concerned, I intend to keep the dragons in the order that I first obtained the breed, so my rares and holidays may be spread out between other breeds. I'm also going to be using frozen hatchies as dividers to keep from confusing parents with children for breeding purposes. Any chickens I catch will be grouped together before all my dragons, but after my the very first dragon I ever caught (which will always be the first adult on my scroll), then dinos after the other breeds, coming last on the scroll. Of course, I'll put my leetle tree before even my first dragon ever.

In addition (within the breeds), I'll be putting CBs first, nice lineages after that, then messy lineages after that.

So, there's my nonsensical sorting order. biggrin.gif

Edited by SlyFox

Well when i sort my dragons i normally go with my best breeders at the top, and then i place my favorite breeds right below them and that makes up page 1

then at the very bottom of my scroll my deadline projects are kept

it would be nice if we where able to make tabs so we could keep projects and things together

My scroll is custom sorted, and I try to keep up with it.

If I am looking to breed CBs, I use Eggs Around The World to tell me what I have that is CB.

My 3rd gen prizes are in a wordpad list, as are some of my holiday breedings.

My sorting is chaotic and generally limited to keeping dragons I'm hunting for more of near the top of the scroll, and dragons I'm not as interested near the bottom.

What I really wish for is a search function on my scroll, that would allow me to search by breed or name of dragon. (Right now I re-sort to find the breed, then have to change back to custom sort to move a dragon to it's spot with that breed.) I think that would be more useful than additional sort options.

I also wish there was a way to move multiple dragons in custom sort, so I could move pairs or groups together without fussing with the numbers. (This is a small wish.)

My sorting is chaotic and generally limited to keeping dragons I'm hunting for more of near the top of the scroll, and dragons I'm not as interested near the bottom.

What I really wish for is a search function on my scroll, that would allow me to search by breed or name of dragon. (Right now I re-sort to find the breed, then have to change back to custom sort to move a dragon to it's spot with that breed.) I think that would be more useful than additional sort options.

I also wish there was a way to move multiple dragons in custom sort, so I could move pairs or groups together without fussing with the numbers. (This is a small wish.)

You can move multiples. hold shift and select the whole group and then drag them where you want.