7Deadly$ins

Pokemon X and Y

So the heracross/pinser megastone promotion at gamestop started yesterday (for the US at least)....

BUT. What the site didn't mention, is they're only giving the codes to people who pre-order ORAS.

Super-duper annoying. I never pre-order from gamestop unless it's a really nice physical pre-order reward. Otherwise I just get it via Amazon and not pay taxes (sure I have to wait on shipping, but it won't kill me to not have something day one).

Well, I went to my Gamestop yesterday. But they didn't have them yet. I DID pre-order the games though. As well as the guide. So, I need to call the store and see if the code pages have been delivered yet. {And I didn't get my poster for per-ordering either, so that's something else to check on.}

Guys. Have you heard the news. Pachirisu is DESTROYING in the Pokemon World Tournament.

Basically, it's paired with Mega Gyarados; when people try to exploit that one's 4x weakness to Electric, Follow Me+Volt Absorb. Also provides Nuzzle and Super Fang support, and can tank a surprising amount of non-electric redirected attacks. Holy heck - someday I want to be able to put together matchups like this.

Yes, Lyth posted it on the last page:

Yeah, research suggests 1:512 chance of finding a shiny in safari, I believe?

On the subject of battles:

Honestly, it makes me very happy and want to form a team that includes some unsuspected Pokemon.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Why hasn't anyone used a Golurk to counter it? o_O

Also, as an employee at GameStop, I can assure you that the stones are NOT a pre-order bonus. However I have heard of several GameStops that use Pokemon Events as ways to get reservations by telling customers that they are preorder bonuses. I urge you to file a complaint, because that is not company policy. It's a dirty way to boost that store's numbers. It makes me so angry when I hear stuff like that.

Come to my store in San Jose D8<

Also, as an employee at GameStop, I can assure you that the stones are NOT a pre-order bonus. However I have heard of several GameStops that use Pokemon Events as ways to get reservations by telling customers that they are preorder bonuses. I urge you to file a complaint, because that is not company policy. It's a dirty way to boost that store's numbers. It makes me so angry when I hear stuff like that.

As a past employee I can confirm that, too. I also remember a few years ago I went and got an event normally, but when my friend went to go get the event, she said she wasn't able to until they "turned something on" and I think she had to buy something or pre-order a game before they would.

If a store is saying that, file a complaint and then go to a different GameStop, because that is NOT a requirement EVER unless the official websites say so (well, I don't know if they would, but I know there ARE some things that are pre-order only, but it's usually something like a poster, lanyard, figurine, or some other trinket).

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Mega Gyarados would obliterate any ground-type counter attempts, I'm guessing. Golurk's speed is pretty bad and its defences aren't stellar.

Mega Gyarados would obliterate any ground-type counter attempts, I'm guessing. Golurk's speed is pretty bad and its defences aren't stellar.

But Golurk is Ground/Ghost, the Pachi would barely do anything to it, if not any damage.

And oh, "Pachi" is for Pachirisu.

Also, Golurk's highest stats aren't for its defenses, but for its physical attack. It's base 124, and with Iron Fist, it can do some hefty damage if the move is supported by Iron Fist.

But Golurk is Ground/Ghost, the Pachi would barely do anything to it, if not any damage.

And oh, "Pachi" is for Pachirisu.

Also, Golurk's highest stats aren't for its defenses, but for its physical attack. It's base 124, and with Iron Fist, it can do some hefty damage if the move is supported by Iron Fist.

No Guard with Dynamicpunch is acceptable as well.

So? This was for double battles, which meant Gyarados (and Pachi's other teammates) were there to do the real damage, aside from Pachi's Super Fang support. It's possible there were Golurks, but Gyarados would have easily taken them down with Intimidate+a water move.

*attempts to teleport*

To be fair, they did have a standee that stated they were for preordering.

I hope I was rude enough to them when I left that they got the message across, haha.

I'll have to check the other gamestop in town, if not then I'll live without it. If it were a diancie or shiny legendary I'd definitely go for it though.

Adding another shiny notch to my record: checking out a new safari to make sure it fit what I needed, find shiny Phanpy. :V

On the subject of Pachirisu: I'm considering breeding Premier Ball Volt Absorb Pachis with Follow Me, Iron Tail, Covet, and Ion Deluge. Good idea? Bad idea?

Question: Why can't Xerneas learn Earth Power?

Geomancy can be taken to mean Earth Power.

(Also, Ampharos=/=Tail Glow.)

Edited by DarkShinyLugia

Question: Why can't Xerneas learn Earth Power?

Geomancy can be taken to mean Earth Power.

(Also, Ampharos=/=Tail Glow.)

Earth Power would be really cool on Xerneas, actually. I don't think it makes 100% sense but it still makes some sense. Of course, Zygarde has most of the earthy stuff. I think Earth Power is a Tutor move, so maybe when Tutors come back we'll see Earth Power available for Xerneas! :D

Ampharos probably can't learn Tail Glow because the Japanese name is "Firefly Light". Manaphy isn't a firefly either but at least it sort of looks like one I guess? :P Would be cool if they did give more Pokemon, Amphy included, Tail Glow. But goodness, it would be incredibly broken on Mega Ampharos. Could you imagine? It would have access to Tail Glow AND Cotton Guard, the only two moves that boost stats by 3. Tail Glow would up Mega Ampharos's special attack by 3 stages, or x2.5. It could take a maxed out special attack of 471 up to 1177.5 in one turn. That's scary.

Mega Amoharos with Cotton Guard and Tail Glow sounds pretty scary to face. Max special defence and hp or special defence and special attack investment, then start buffing and you've got a monster on your hands. It would still be really slow, but it has pretty decent bulk anyways.

Mega Amoharos with Cotton Guard and Tail Glow sounds pretty scary to face. Max special defence and hp or special defence and special attack investment, then start buffing and you've got a monster on your hands. It would still be really slow, but it has pretty decent bulk anyways.

If mega Ampharos got tail glow in its moveset, that sure would be a monster to face. You'd have to look out for its defense, though.

....That, and i'd use it too.

Re: Megastones:

All the promotional material I've seen does, in fact, state that it's available when you pre-order. But, I've seen that for pretty much everything--INCLUDING the download ones you go into the store to DL, and I don't personally know of any stores that will turn off the DS that's broadcasting it and turn it back on every time somebody pre-orders. Even if we were 100% supposed to do that, it's time consuming and bothersome, and just much simpler to leave the dang thing on.

Most stores, though, do NOT force you to pre-order to get them, even if they have stuff that advertises it's for pre-orders only.

I'm annoyed, though--my whole district didn't get the megastone cards, we were instead given a number for Nintendo and were told to have customers call that number to be given a code by Nintendo, though from what I hear Nintendo is denying anything to do with that so I'm not sure who screwed up where anymore. I'm hoping we've finally gotten them in, personally, because I just want my dang stones!

Edited by KageSora

Re: Megastones:

All the promotional material I've seen does, in fact, state that it's available when you pre-order. But, I've seen that for pretty much everything--INCLUDING the download ones you go into the store to DL, and I don't personally know of any stores that will turn off the DS that's broadcasting it and turn it back on every time somebody pre-orders. Even if we were 100% supposed to do that, it's time consuming and bothersome, and just much simpler to leave the dang thing on.

Most stores, though, do NOT force you to pre-order to get them, even if they have stuff that advertises it's for pre-orders only.

I'm annoyed, though--my whole district didn't get the megastone cards, we were instead given a number for Nintendo and were told to have customers call that number to be given a code by Nintendo, though from what I hear Nintendo is denying anything to do with that so I'm not sure who screwed up where anymore. I'm hoping we've finally gotten them in, personally, because I just want my dang stones!

I've only seem them as promotional items, not pre-order exclusives. None of the Pokemon events have ever been considered pre order exclusive obtainables. =A= Ugh. If that's the case, take your pre-orders else where. Don't let them bully you for a reservation.

My district did that too! It's so dumb D8<

I'm pretty sure I've seen that fine-print on just about every Pokemon promotion forever.

It's just that I'v never actually personally seen anybody even attempt to enforce it. Probably because if it's a download then you CAN'T enforce it.

I think it's just a standard thing they slap on everything, regardless of if you actually have to preorder or not. Probably to give them some sort of means of denying people it if they do decide they want to try to make people preorder. Or maybe they're hoping people will read the fine-print and preorder even if they don't need to.

I think the reason we're seeing a lot more instances of people being told they have to preorder is that this is actually one of those one's that's enforceable. Nobody can get the code without talking to an employee, after all.

Though I'm not sure if it's corporate-mandated that we enforce it, or if stores are just trying to drive reserves up with the enforcement. Or if it's both.

I'll have to check what the actual printouts say later.

I just wish I knew WHY some districts didn't get the cards but others did. It's a HUGE annoyance!

Edited by KageSora

Well I hope my GameStop actually got the codes. I guess I can join in on the "disgruntled employees of GameStop" discussion regarding this. Obviously they want to drive preorders, and it's a shame this event can't be done the way the old ones could. I imagine it's because the old systems weren't 3DS specific, or something. Now that you have to talk to employees, it changes the game.

I wonder if our district got the cards... We're currently a little busy with other things and so if we didn't, I'm not certain our DM would have the time to do anything about it. And it doesn't sound like Nintendo is working with the call-in thing.

I talked to someone who talked to customer support at Nintendo, who verified that it is not required to pre-order ORAS to get the megastone.

So basically total lack of communication and employees told to boost pre-order sales.

I'm pretty sure my brother got the code from the other gamestop (based on the streetpass showing he was playing Y version and I know he has been playing something else before) so I'll have to check out up there at some point.

(They seem to always be more competent than the other one. The other one is just on my way home from work so I tend to stop there more often)

Thing is, those mega stones aren't promotional items for ORAS. I guess they could be, as you could have those megas put in ORAS, but they're for X and Y so I don't see why they should have anything to do with ORAS pre-orders other than being Pokemon-related.

The "promotional items" I think the fine print is talking about is stuff that is actually for those that pre-order, like the posters for X and Y, Giratina figurine for Platinum, Ho-oh and Lugia figurines for HG/SS, etc.

Well, I picked mine up today, and it SEEMS like they wanted you to preorder. Because the employee said "Oh, you've ordered both anyway, so here's a second megastone code." {Sort of. It's not word-for-word what he said, but it's close.}

Random question: how many people here actually use the GTS?

I myself only use it when absolutley necesary...because everyone wants freaking Legendaries for EVERYTHING.

Who would think someone would give a Lugia for a lv1 Meowth?!

Edited by Myra the Sark

YAY! Just got my (cloned) shiny Tanabata Jirachi biggrin.gif Such excite. Much happy. Wow.

(Whoops, I meant to say I've never seen it on the promotional fliers at my store, heh)

The reason it isn't a pre-order bonus is exactly why you guys already said; it has nothing to do with ORAS. They are not promotional for ORAS, so they should not be used under the pretense that they are pre-order bonuses. This seems to happen a lot with Pokemon distribution and Pokemon game releases unfortunately, even when they are completely unrelated such as this case. Stores that pretend these bonuses are exclusives are doing it solely to boost their reservation numbers. And they do care a lot about those numbers, so this is just a sneaky way for those stores to get them.

Which is dishonest and low, imo. We're supposed to pride ourselves on our customer service, not falsify information to brown nose our DMs. I'm glad I work at a store that has kept its integrity.

More on topic: I use the GTS all the time~! biggrin.gif I used it mostly to help finish my Dex because I was lazy and didn't care about the crown things upon completion. I like to use it now to get good breeding stock for competitive Pokemon.

Speaking of, I'm slowly rebuilding my team. So far only my Golurk (Jolly, Iron Fist, +252 Att/ +252 Sp/ +6 Sp.def with Drain Punch--- a friend got him for me, yay!) and my Mega Pinsir (typical set up. Hehe, Return~) are ready. I'm going to work on a Musharna + Magic Bounce Espeon combo next biggrin.gif