Obscure_Trash

Rant Thread

And I would happily give it away in a heartbeat, but can't. Sure, the thing's given me lots of things I previously could only have dreamt of, like CB metals and my first Neglected (thanks to a friend), but... that's all it does. I don't even feel like building lineages with it because I dislike the Tinsel sprite so much. But with a Shimmerscale, I could be so much more interested in lineage building instead of just breeding for shinies and trading them away for whatever and cursing all the times I get nothing. :(

What would you trade for a second gen. 

It's frustrating when you have a dragon that you don't like (Tarantula for me).  I would get rid of it, but I want all the breeds so I'm stuck with it.  

Stuff I can't really get on my own, like CB metals because I'm nowhere near patient enough to camp the biomes for metals, and whenever they DO spawn, I always miss them. But I've more or less grown used to it, and I like to joke that it's a Dragon Cave right of passage to miss a CB metal in the biomes. XD

On topic, the weather's going pretty nuts outside. This winter has been really terrible because I love love LOVE cold snowy winters... and we've had nothing but rain and gloom all winter like it's autumn round 2. Last summer was freaking terrible and I hope it doesn't happen again this year, but I have a bad feeling we'll be facing the same old horrendous heat waves we've had for the last two summers now... :dry:

You haven't had snow in Finland?  Wow!!

I can't camp out on the biomass either.  I lose patience.  I think I've only ever seen rares a couple of times.  I do have several Blusangs, but they weren't rare when they first came out. 

Sorry for the double post...  I HATE it when influence fails.

I told you to try on blonde wigs if you wanted to go blonde, to see how the color would look on you. And then I told you if you didn't want to do that, when you were whining about it, to just get a few blonde streaks in the front to see how it would look, and if you liked it you could go to heavy streaking and then all blonde. But nooooo, you had your whole hair dyed light blonde and now you hate it.

Someone I am with in quarantine has such a negative attitude. Its starting to really bring me down. And when I have issues, thats nothing compared to theirs because I have a loving boyfriend.  He is amazing and I am darned lucky, dont get me wrong, but that doesnt invalidate the mental problems I am experiencing. Also, they seem secretly happy when I get upset that I cant see him. I want to be close to them, but this negativity is killing me. 

HOW MANY ADMINS DO WE NEED AT FACEBOOK, ANYWAY??? Editors and Admins can do EXACTLY the same thing bar one thing and the ONE thing they cannot do, is not something the people you're insisting I make Admins even NEED to be able to do. And I REALLY DO NOT trust you to not then remove all the rest of us as Admins and make it impossible for us to do our jobs.

Putting this here on purpose... don't want to ruin anybodys celebration mood but get this off my chest..

Releasing 7 new breeds at once is bad enough.

But color mechanics AND hybrids in the mix?

And not enough eggs in the biomes at the actual birthday... especially after it had been found out what drops where. Why can't we have a flood instead of drops?

Yes, I know, they will be permanent. But if they become rare or something it will be even harder to get them in the future.

This just feels stressful and not like celebrating.

Sorry... but altogether I'd have rather less new breeds and more of our ideas implemented.

Edit/addition:

I have been told that they are easy to catch, even now, and it was just a matter of bad timing on my part? *shrug*

And I have been offered "spares" that some have caught/bred. Thank you very much for your kindness!

Edited by Zimtie

I can't believe I was that customer.

In my defense, my husband said he already rebooted the router when the problem started, and only today he remembered that there was an internet outage at that time and, if the router (and/or server it needs to connect to) are programmed badly, this might have caused it to be unable to connect to that server ever since. But I had to talk to the provider and try to explain again and again that if we can reach every server except for theirs, the problem really can't be our router... except that it was, because a (second) reboot fixed it.

Sigh.

I did not want to be that customer.

Is my patience for this stupid poster basic supplies during a natural disaster, cause Im fresh out with a million more units to remain undelivered XD  

Also, nice rinse job dishwasher! Bubble bath steak was NOT supposed to be on my menu last night…

If there's one thing I've learn is you don't crap on your friend's doorstep. For someone to give you shelter, share their meal with you and then pull this? From stealing $50 out of someone's purse, to taking their foodstamp card. Taking all of an older lady's soda that she enjoys after she gave permission to just have ONE. And then to raid the fridge even when boxes and containers are labeled with people's names? And then to go and accuse people in the house of sleeping around and then coming onto them? It's clear that you need some serious rehab and therapy. 

And no. I don't give a flying turkey who you think you are, do not walking up and grab my side trying to tickle me. I'm only okay with friends and family giving me a hug or tickling to be funny. No effing stranger has a right to touch me. I don't know you, kindly back off.

I'm glad I locked my bedroom door. None of my stuff was taken, that I know of. Still enraged that the other girl had her purse raided. You don't EVER take advantage of someone's kindness like that. 

Content warning: small animals with too many legs.

Spoiler

I'm in the storage room and I see a spider on the ceiling. Oh, two spiders. ... Four. And they're too high up for me to reach them with the spider catching device. But if I don't remove them, my husband will use the nearest vacuum cleaner to do it, and then there are spiders in my vacuum cleaner FOREVER. So I get a stepladder. Catch the first one, put it outside. Catch the second one, put it outside. Move the ladder to reach the third one.

There are... spots of dirt around it? ... With... LEGS???

THERE IS A VERY LARGE NUMBER OF VERY SMALL SPIDERS ON THE CEILING AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRGHHHHHHHHHH

I can't catch every single tiny spider baby. So. Do I wait for my husband and tell him to kill them with fire?

Nope. They have to go. Now. Dead or alive. So I take a more dispensable small vacuum cleaner.

"Sorry sorry sorry sorry aaaaaaaahhhhhh I'm sorry I'm sorry AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAAHHH"

Bring it outside, try to open it so whatever is inside now should fall out, but it doesn't open, so I freak out and just put it on the ground and go back inside.

I DID NOT WANT TO MURDER SPIDER BABIES BUT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

If you have more than four legs, please do not have babies in my house.

So all of the seals on these bottles are messed up? ALL OF THEM?! So the entire case is flat!! I'm so mad. Its either suffer caffeine withdrawal or drink flat gross soda. UGH!!

What the frickity track with that customer today?! She knew that what she was doing was going to cause an error on the printers to the point where they'd need rebooted, but she did it anyway!!! Not just to one machine, nooooo. She had to do it to both! And then she had the AUDACITY to say the printing supervisor had explained to her last time why the errors occured. So she freaking knew! And then she just flippently (typo I know) said she was going to another store to print... AND DO THE SAME THING THERE! Of all the inconsiderate and selfish things to do! And, dear reader, nobody could use the machines for hours until I had a chance to sit on the phone with helpdesk to figure out how to reboot the damn things while running back and forth helping customers at the same time because I was the only print associate! This is why I say I hate people. 😤

13 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

What the frickity track with that customer today?! She knew that what she was doing was going to cause an error on the printers to the point where they'd need rebooted, but she did it anyway!!! Not just to one machine, nooooo. She had to do it to both! And then she had the AUDACITY to say the printing supervisor had explained to her last time why the errors occured. So she freaking knew! And then she just flippently (typo I know) said she was going to another store to print... AND DO THE SAME THING THERE! Of all the inconsiderate and selfish things to do! And, dear reader, nobody could use the machines for hours until I had a chance to sit on the phone with helpdesk to figure out how to reboot the damn things while running back and forth helping customers at the same time because I was the only print associate! This is why I say I hate people. 😤

Oh no. Sounds like you had a run in with the dreaded karen. My sympathies. 

You self-centered POS. No one can have a civil conversation with you, because as soon as someone brings up things you've done you right away, shout, try to make yourself look bigger and deflect blame by pointing out someone else's flaws instead of OWNING UP to the hole you've dug, not just for yourself, but your whole family! You're blaming everyone else, when you are using them as a shield.

What they've done.... all the things you've pointed out are mistakes. YOU did it because "Eff them. it's their problem." When it really reads: "Eff them, it's their problem, even though I'm the only reason they're in that **** hole to begin with."

Blaming me is where you royally mess up. No. I don't leave soda bottles in the van. I'm not the only one who drinks that brand. I also don't drink that brand of tea, I don't touch energy drinks and I always use bottles, never cans. You can't reseal a can, a bottle has a nice cap, plus more soda. It's pretty bad when there's so much garbage under the seat that I can't adjust it. None of that is mine. And neither is that dirty diaper sitting in the back seat! wtaf? WHY?!

Yes, two weeks ago I left two trash bags downstairs by the door. Why didn't I take them out? Easy!

- 1: I was sick, had been emptying my guts out all day long and had no energy drag my rear to the bathroom, much less take out trash.

- 2: It was off to the side in the corner and the worst bag was placed behind the normal trash bag. So if anyone did come across it they wouldn't grab the gross one first.

- 3: it was 4 AM when I brought it down. Yes, neighborhood may be safer here. Awesome! Great! But when you've lived 25 years of your life in an area where it's not safe for a girl to step outside at night and I'm too sick to know what day it even is then auto pilot kicks in full gear.

- 4: No. it was not there for 2 or more days. Why? Because M'ah never even saw them and she comes in on the days you mentioned them sitting there. She saw nothing. It was there for less than 12 hours.

- 5: I don't expect someone to pick up after me, and would have dealt with it when I was feeling better. I thank you for taking it out, but I fully intended to do so myself once I had regained enough strength to actually do it.

Are you aware that, once your "newspaper" becomes interested in a person, that person can only hope to suffer as little damage as possible? That the person will only talk to you because they're afraid of what you might do to them if they don't?

Are you aware that you saying "your [whatever] is one of our readers' favourite subjects!" is not a good thing for the target person, because it means you will write about them even if they don't talk to you? That they feel they have to give you the "content" (= money) you want so they can at least hope you won't destroy their life?

Are you really proud to be working for this horrible institution?

Edited by Confused Cat

Ok so my card is damaged.

The site says ring this number or securely message us.

I ring the number, theres no option for damaged card.

I use the secure message, theres no option for damaged card. 

Whhhhyy

Why oh why didn't I realize I could just say "no, today is not a good day to try the new monitor"?

I KNOW THESE THINGS ALWAYS TAKE WAY LONGER THAN WE THINK, AND I KNOW CHANGES ALWAYS, ALWAYS, AAAALLLLLLLWAYS MESS THINGS UP, AND I KNOW I'M ALWAYS SAD AND STRESSED IN THE END.

It never, ever just works as it should. So why didn't I just say NO.

Now things don't fit on the screen anymore, I have to change some zoom setting in every program separately to make things fit again, and that causes the text and images to look blurry.

I said I wanted the exact same size and resolution as before, but we didn't find a monitor that filled all the requirements. But that should totally not be a problem, because "pixels don't matter anymore, FORGET about pixels, nobody has been using pixels for ten years!", and I still don't understand how that's supposed to work when an image has a certain number of pixels and the monitor also has a certain number of pixels, but I guess we just change the whatever-it-is-called, and anti-aliasing happens, and then it works? WELL OBVIOUSLY IT DOES NOT.

Now I lost two hours of the last evening on which I can breed and keep some Halloween eggs, and I'll have to play the rest of the event in this weird environment where the DC site and my spreadsheets look just WRONG.

(And it's all my fault because I wanted a new monitor, because the old one suddenly emitted a weird smell. Not a "clean me" smell, more what I thought was a "some toxic piece of technology got a lot warmer than it should, and maybe you shouldn't inhale this" smell. It stopped after we had ordered the new one...)

(I might just go back to using the old one. I should hide it so no well-meaning person can remove it from my room.)

Edit:

I think "disoriented" best describes how I feel when try to do computer things now. I do not like changes. It's weird. I can adapt very well to some annoying things in life, but others completely mess up my brain? Is this normal? (Probably?)

Edited by Confused Cat

I am sick and tired of seeing women's feelings get hurt by men just because most men have terrible emotional resilience compared to us. Yeah, yeah, you lost some family members when you were a kid, boohoo, woe is you! I've lost people, too, but it didn't prevent me from ever loving anyone again! Not feeling anything for someone is one thing, but pointedly refusing to follow your heart is utter cowardice.

When I double post, you know it's bad.

Spoiler

I ****ing hate my life. I hate being crippled by generalized anxiety. My voice was really off today because of my period and other fun girly stuff. Yes, teacher, I can sing the song perfectly well, but not in front of you or anyone else, because my nerves don't feel comfortable around anyone but themselves. It makes me beyond raging angry to be told techniques and stuff I already ****ing know, just because I sound like a dying cat when I'm not by myself. I have this universe locked inside that I'm basically unable to express. And the worst was when she said, in a nice way, that one just has to get over their fears. Yeah, lady, I don't think you're getting this; it's not fear, it's a PATHOLOGICAL MENTAL ILLNESS THAT MAKES NO SENSE, WHICH YOU CAN'T LOGIC YOUR WAY OUT OF. Free-floating anxiety: there's no trigger, there's no reason, there's no fearful thoughts, there's just fear, and an intense desire to be alone. You're a great teacher, and a good person who means well, but you live in a rich house in the foothills and your genes weren't cursed with madness. You've never known what it's like to be trapped in your own mind, and trapped for all time. Also, Zoom meetings don't exactly do wonders for my social awkwardness. In person, you'd never suspect there's anything weird about me. Over the computer, tired and stressed out from my fluctuating hormones, I could barely make myself sing seriously, and my crappy internet was cutting out every 30 seconds. What a damn disaster. One day my voice is perfect, the next it's a bad American Idol audition. What is wrong with my brain? If I didn't pick up on social cues, I'd've qualified for an Aspie diagnosis, but I do, so that was off the table. (Even though I have constant social anxiety, an unyielding mind colored by opinions that never change, and I was reading alone at age 3. I also spend most of my time alone on the computer. I have all the symptoms except the social ones. In fact, I pick up cues too subtle for most others to notice and I sense emotions, which is what led my therapist to realize I'm actually an HSP/empath who's way too triggered by living in shallow California. It also goes to show how deeply a person can be affected by CEN.) You always hear about how Asperger's is often misdiagnosed as a plethora of mental illnesses, which are seldom found all together in one person. Well, guess what? I'm just the headcase. Nice to meet you.

326.gif

"Day three! Give it up for day three!"

Of this mcfreakin wall. 

I checked out Dark Pictures Anthology's Little Hope, and... it had some pretty good stuff that is gameplay related, but what makes me want to rant is what they did with the story.

Those faces too though... How the heck am I seeing people praising the voice acting and facial expression/body language? The colonial America parts of it was pretty good but, man, the 2020 characters were so stiff and unnatural in delivering their lines, and that facial expression is waaay too relaxed for a panicked voice to be coming out of it...

And. Cheap. Freaking. Jumpscares.

Spoiler free TL;DR: I did not like the ending and think that they had many more interesting options they could have gone with without losing the characterization and themes of the story.

Spoilers for Little Hope and some of Man of Medan:

Spoiler

Everyone except Andrew and Vince were dead all along. They, and the demons were hallucinations of the Bus driver (who is Anthony/Andrew) suffering PTSD after his family's deaths and possibly a concussion after the bus crash. The whole game (except the interactions with Vince) was all in his head. 🤦‍♀️

It's an It Was All In His Head-ending.

Oh my god, that trope is so hard to play right. It's disappointing. It's chickening out on what could have been real lovecraftian horror. It's setting up a world where unfathomable horrors of the mind could be real, it could be like a Silent Hill supernatural universe of their own creation where the writers' imagination could run free within their own established limits and possibilities - and they choose to brush it aside for that kind of ending.

Heavens, I think the first time I saw that as a plot twist was in a bad creepy pasta theory some 15 years ago; it's on that level of story telling and actually pulling it off in a way that doesn't come off as an ***pull is HARD.

Do they succeed in Little Hope?

I mean, it serves it's purpose. I won't lie. But I think they didn't have to go with that explanation for what is going on. I think there were better options to end this.

They could just as well have had real alive characters that uncannily resembles the dead people of the past and spin their own meaningful mystery of why that is.

I think this canon ending nullifies the events of the game:

There was never any danger for our protagonists, unlike in Man of Medan. Because while I dislike Man of Medan more than Little Hope, I will give it this much credit:

Man of Medan is making the characters hallucinate monsters where there are their comrades, or nothing at all. Realizing this kills any fear you might have of the monsters as it means they're pretty much harmless and your best course of action is more or less remain passive. This was an enormous issue I had with Man of Medan.

BUT that wasn't the only danger the characters were in; they could still die from exposure to the gas; any other character killing them due to hallucinations; they could get stuck on the ship forever; and there was also the danger of taking the bad "everyone gets out alive" route where the military hunts them down.

In the Man of Medan game you still had a challenge to get everyone out alive (or if you just want to see all the creatively horrible ways these awful people can die), going back to play different routes again.

In Little Hope, it doesn't matter. They're still dead in the end even in the best ending. The only person your choices is going to affect is Anthony (and Vince to some minor degree).

Anthony may find peace (or fail) in the end of the story, but the player don't get the same satisfaction of accomplishing anything. It's a disconnect between the player-character and the players.

Sidenote, thinking about it, I realised something I haven't seen anyone else talk about:

Vince (an NPC) is the only character who's ever in any real danger in the entire game.

In one chapter it's possible to accidentally "kill" Angela with your gun because you think she's one of the demons lurking in the mist.

We have a similar encounter earlier in the game where it turns out to be Vince on his bike out on the main road in the mist.

Had we obtained the gun before the encounter with Vince... He is alone in this ghost town with a traumatized (possible concussed) man, with a loaded gun, hallucinating about demons.

Vince, who is the only NPC, is literally the only character in real danger in this horror game where (pretend) demons aggressively hunt you down. 🤦‍♀️

Phew. Maybe I'm being harsh but I wanted to blow off some steam.

Monster designs were cool though, I liked them a lot.

And I still liked this story more than Man of Medan.

Edited by Ripan

topic is poverty and disability and exhaustion.

I'm sick of having to stay in this terrible apartment with mold in the bathroom and bacteria in the well water because I can't afford to move. My landlord "just drink bottled water while I fix it" OK cool I'll just add that to the list of ten billion other things I'm trying to handle but can't, like knitting Christmas gifts for people because I can't afford to buy things, and repairing all the random household objects that broke after 3 uses because I could only afford the cheapest crappiest versions of them, trying to figure out how to make healthy meals with instant rice and canned tuna and zero clean dishes because I don't have the energy to wash them, collecting and returning cans and bottles because a trash bag of them is $8 and that's McDonald's, explaining to doctors that I was a no-show to the appointment because I couldn't get out of bed and hoping they'll waive the missed appointment fee so I don't have to pay money I don't have for not getting help

"just get a better job" yeah because a job search is something I can totally handle when I'm barely keeping my head above the water here

"get government help" im 2 months into an estimated 6 month waiting time before they even decide whether to approve or reject me for disability, and I was told they'll probably reject it anyway because a lot of people don't understand that a person can walk and talk and come to appointments and still need help. (meanwhile, I can't always do those things, but if I don't "stay on top of this" then I'm in danger of them rejecting it entirely, so. all I can do is worry)

this is why people end up homeless. honestly, part of me thinks if I could afford a tent then Id just go. I'm done trying to make sense of this messed up human world. I'm good at edible plants. can I go back to being a hunter gatherer please? except no, I can't even do that, because every **** piece of land here is private property that rich people buy and do nothing with except keep everyone else out of.

I don't wanna be here anymore.