nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

I love lineages and am working on several even-gen and stairstep projects.

However, I'm more than willing to breed my messy lineaged Rare/Uncommon dragons for anyone that wants one. Anybody that doesn't have anything 'interesting' to offer in return...well as others have said, I'll always take a red hatchling or 2 in trade (even a messy in-bred one). I also dump rares/uncommons into the AP on occasion. And I'm one of the people that dump even-gens into the AP on a regular basis as well.

I love lineages. I have over 1000 dragons, like a dozen of every breed. I would have no reason to play really except to work on lineages, or wait for new releases. Completing one gives a real sense of accomplishment. Like this one, I've been working on it for a year and a half, and I am so proud of it. http://dragcave.net/lineage/OBgpq Plus some ideas people have are just amazing. I love looking at lineages other people have created, they show creativity.

Plus, to be honest, they are so darn addicting! You make one, and you just can't wait to start another. It's is also a sense of community, and a way to make friends. I've met so many awesome people on the even-gen thread, and I've been given dozens of beautiful gifts. I like the fact that people have to work together to make something pretty. Like this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/34eYh It probably took 20+ people to make that lineage happen. That's just so cool to me <3

Edit: gah the typo monster is running rampant!

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

I'm what you call a DC veteran and I'm pretty neutral on the lineage thing; the only time I'm focused on lineages is gifting. The majority of people on the forums like specific lineages, which includes not inbreeding. I can understand why people like lineages; something pretty to look at and something to do when you're not summoning, hunting for tinsels, hoping/breeding for hollies, or neglecting.

If I'm being honest, I suppose I both love and lament lineages. I love them because they're so pretty and there's nothing like finding a dragon with fun names from mummy and daddy or a dragon with all named generations. I actually like names even more than lineages.

I lament them because:

1. I'm not cool enough to figure out how to make the really long, pretty lineages. I mean, I could, but...time.

2. Traders do seem to value CB and "clean" lines more now. I find it ironic that now that we can trade safely, a whole section of dragons ("messy" ones) are mostly off the table unless they're super-rare. (and I have two 2nd gen red BSAs up for grabs now that have been for days with nary a bite, and I'm not even asking for anything specific, so, no, BSAs aren't automatically attractive, whoever said that)

3. I find myself valuing Cave-borns more, now that I know people look at lineages. And considering how hard it is to get something like a Cave-born black, something that had been common suddenly becomes frustratingly hard to find.

Now, I know I should get over the whole lineage thing and just enjoy the dragons, but...it is nice to trade with people. And to see 12 generations, beautifully placed and all named on a lineage link. happy.gif

Eh, I like them. Without lineages I'd have quit playing long ago because I'd have nothing to do here. I don't have lightning quick reflexes so I can't catch anything that isn't a blocker. So while I wait for my clicking skills to slowly beef up I breed lineage goals so I'm at least logging into my scroll and not losing my names.

Just a question, What makes a lineage beautiful and what makes one ugly?

It's a matter of taste. Some people find all purebred lineages beautiful, others like symmetry or combinations of certain colors of dragons.

I don't care about the lineages as much as some people do, but I don't want inbred eggs, or eggs with very long and messy lineages.

And even though I just said that I don't care about lineages that much I enjoy seeing some pretty ones -especially the even-gen type and/or those which have only couple type of dragons in it, or holiday dragons. And I love pretty names in lineages since I often name my dragons after their parents or grandparents or so.

I do fully understand why people enjoy working hard to get pretty lineages done and I do appreciate their work -I got two beautifully lineaged eggs last week and now I'm working my butt off trying to make an even-gen mate for my new even-gen electric dragon. It's a good way to keep myself interested in this site even now when I got nearly everything (everything except zombie, neglected and holly, actually) I wanted.

As for the trading aspect -I don't do trading here in DC so I doesn't affect me, but I can understand why people are a bit mad when their rare eggs are not wanted because they are from lineages that are not pretty enough. I think people should tell in their trade posts if they prefer some specific type of lineage. Me -I just gift away the offspring of my rare dragons, or send them to the AP for fast-fingered people to catch -regardless of their lineage. C:

Additionally, trading for what you want on DC is like anything else - you need a bit of luck and attention. *long story warning*

Not long ago I spazz-clicked a CB Magma from the cave (it was hiding behind the Ember that I had been going for and in my enthusiasm I ended up with both). Now, I have what I consider to be my "quota" of CB Magmas (4 male, 4 female), so I wasn't bothered about keeping it. Out of nosiness, I checked out the trade threads and saw that someone was offering a Gold with an uneven but short and clean lineage and one of the things they were asking for was a CB Trio. I offered the Magma and it was accepted. Yay, now I had a Gold that was of more interest to me than the Magma. A few days after that, the Gold was a hatchie and I was again snooping through the trading threads when I noticed someone offering a 2nd gen Silver from Marrow x Silver, and one thing they were asking for was a Gold. This was extremely interesting to me because of him. I offered my Gold hatchie and got this beauty, who also happens to be my first ever 2nd gen metallic. So, from a lucky cave catch I've ended up with a beautiful 2nd gen dragon that I can use to continue a pretty lineage. Just through luck and paying attention. smile.gif

Edited by Amazon_warrior

DarkEternity- that sounds like kind of a waste of time

Well.. klondike solitaire is a waaste of time.. what's the point of trying to get the cards all stacked in the exact same order every time you play the game?

Collecting dragon eggs for the sake of just randomly grabbing/breeding and raising eggs and nothing more... big waste of time no?

For some people that is not a waste of time. But for most people after a while it just gets flat out BORING. People want something MORE out of the game. These people have the imagination to be able to set GOAL for themselves - to challenge themselves to complete a specific task.

Just like klondike... after a while the standard game gets boring so you start learning different ways of playing the game to make it more challenging.

My lineage goal is not always going to be something you or someone else might like, but it's MY goal - MY challenge. If someone else appreciates MY goal and wants to trade me for my efforts.. great. if not - no big loss there. No one is FORCING anyone to have to trade anything with anyone.

Edited by WraithZephyr

I didn't like lineages until I realized how pretty they could be. It gives me a little thrill when I pick up an egg from the AP and it has a pretty even-gen lineage with perfectly blending colors. Ugh my eyes likey.

Then I realized that it would make the game a lot more fun if I collected a bunch of one dragon and made a monster lineage. (my project right now) biggrin.gif

It always makes me feel guilty when I see eggs get picked up and appear seconds later in the AP, I grab them and realize that the previous person discarded them just because their lineage wasn't perfect. But I suppose lineages are all in good fun. smile.gif

I have looked at lineage pages from the beginning, just for fun. Although I didn't create lineages myself at the time, I enjoyed looking at pretty lineages other people created - for example this one is a lineage I absolutely loved from the beginning - someone has spent a lot of time and enthusiasm creating this, and this is one of the reasons why a lineage like this is more valueable to me than a messy one.

When I came closer to completing my scroll, I started to think more about the lineages of my dragons and to create some myself - it is a personal goal in the game, since finding the missing eggs is rather hard to achieve. I try to continue pretty lineages, because for me it's a way to value and appreciate the time the creator spent with it. That's why I'm always pleased when someone continues a pattern I have created. I once abandoned a cb marrow x cb ridgewing egg I had just bred brefore Halloween for testing the pair, and the person who snatched it from the AP started a lineage with it - that was really cute and somehow touching smile.gif

But honestly I don't understand the complaints of people being unable to trade because of lineages - there are a lot of breeders around who are willing to breed a rare dragon for you and just ask for multiple cb common hatchlings in exchange. It's really not that hard to hatch two or three eggs from the cave for a good trade.

I don't really care much about lineages. Sure, if I find a CB Stripe or something, I'm not gonna trade it, but if I find an inbred Stripe I probably wouldn't trade that either. If I plan on trading an egg, I definitely pull the lineage into account. I find it difficult to trade a Nebula with a lineage, whereas if I grab a CB Nebula I usually get 3+ good offers. If I manage to grab a low-gen Tinsel or Dorkface or something I'm thrilled, but I'd be almost as happy with a long lineaged Tinsel. A few of my dragons have set mates, and I am working on a private lineage for my Pillows, but that's probably as far as I'll ever get.

When my dragons cooperate, i love handing out things with highly desired lineages as gifts, while personally I dont like those lineages. My interest in lineages is more in creating new ones that arent commonly seen for my own needs. I own one lineage that I have never seen anyone else pull off, and have put almost three years into my project (even after being set back literally by a year due to one person attempting to zombify one of the cbs in my lines. I was angry, but then it forced me to challenge myself even further by collecting the cbs myself and only using other peoples lines to push forward when I have to.

Right now I am at 5th gen even gen pure autumn on my personal project. When that grows it will be bred to a matching pure summer line, and their first baby will be bred to a matching winter/spring line. I generally dont offer the babies for trade but now that the high gen tinsels are requiring more and more higher gen even gens, I do have perfect trade fodder since The majority of my lines stay on my scroll. This project also allows me to trade to the "seasonal" lineage since i have probably 100 cb pairings of each season, that im sure are not in the majority of their lines.

My space chickens: people love them not because of their lines, but because of the story behind them. People enjoy the little cult of doom (that has pretty much taken over dc as it is despite the lack of descriptions proving this point). My son was the youngest player ever to create a lineage project, and that one took off because of the "cute factor" (Goat Food Lineage). His lineage was simple:cheer/vine and give it a name with something a goat might eat. It led to a ton of funny names, and people enjoy his naming themes.

My newest challenge: bred lyric army lineages. Collecting cbs of the most common cave blockers, that match the song I hope to finish, then breeding those together in order so the song shows up in the cb lines in order. When i get that finished off, the large number of unnamed dragons will then be named with a second, matching name until i run out of dragons.

TL:DR

So to answer your question: people enjoy lineages for a plethora of reasons. Some collect because they think those types of lineages are pretty, some collect only to continue existing lineages, some do it for the challenge of creating something new.. and others, like me do it because we like funny names, or having unique lineages. Descriptions in addition to lineages can change a basic silver/black line to something amazing (like my chicken cult). Its just a different way to play. Spiral lineages are the newest twist, but i have been breeding those for like 2 years, and until tinsels, they were never tradable tongue.gif

I like my lineages just because... they're neat. And the spirals/stairsteps look pretty.

They're also fun to make.

And its cool knowing a descendant of one of TJ's dragons is living on your scroll.

I really like pretty lineages. I'm careless some of the time, but when it comes to visual art, I get picky. I like looking at the neat spiral/staircases & checkerboard even gens because they're so neat and streamlined compared to lineages that are messy. Even so, I've been trying to tell myself to value a dragon for the description/personality I give it, not the perfect organization of its ancestry.

I've never completed a stairstep or even gen, but it must be satisfying to do so. There's always that feeling of satisfaction attached to completing a piece of work, and making fancy lineages is no different. smile.gif

I used to not care about lineages too much. Now, I sort of care. A dragon can be long lineaged to me as long as it's not a giant mess or inbred. Some sort of even, spiral, or whatever would be nice, but if it's a rare dragon, then I don't care as long as it's not really messy or inbred That's really my only requirements for a rare. I'm not too picky with my dragons.

Edited by eterniawolf

I actually always look at the lineages of eggs I pick from the AP. My goal is having every sprite and at least one CB dragon of each breed. I prefer even-gens or stairsteps because they just look better, but I also own dragons with bad lineages, but don't breed them.

The only time I'm picky about them is Christmas and Valentine's day. When you can have only two, you want good lines. Don't mind the mate, however.

Personally, I love lineages. I haven't done much with mine, but I spend just as much time looking at the ones I have done as I do looking at the sprites. As others have mentioned, it gives me something to work forward to, rather than just "Have all the sprites", because, honestly, that gets really boring after awhile.

If you don't like them, you don't have to do them - if you want to trade for something, you can catch CBs of certain breeds and trade them for whatever you want. Sure, that takes awhile, but so does everything else. While I can understand your wishing we didn't care, the fact is, we do, and we value dragons based on their lineages because they look cool.

Edited by Snow Plow

It is an important part of the game.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. If having pretty lineages were mandatory or *cough* "important" than this discussion probably wouldn't have started in the first place. While I do agree that lineages are fun to make and trade with I think a lot of people feel left out that people don't want their dragons because their deemed "messy".

When I first started on DC the only thing I payed attention to we're the parents, thinking that my dragons rarity would increase if it were related to a gold dragon or other metallic, oh how wrong I was. Now I know I'm not the only person who's made this mistake, so does that mean I have to replace all my dragons? No. I can trade with the newbs, who later find themselves in the same position, and the cycle continues.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. If having pretty lineages were mandatory or *cough* "important" than this discussion probably wouldn't have started in the first place. While I do agree that lineages are fun to make and trade with I think a lot of people feel left out that people don't want their dragons because their deemed "messy".

It's important to me. I believe that Kaini was just stating that she thinks they're important.

I'd probably quit DC if lineages disappeared. There'd be very little for me to do. In that regard, they are important.

Edited by Snow Plow

Um, I personally kike lineages very much. Sure, they can alter the value of dragons, but I've always thought of that as just the way things work on DC. I like pretty lineages, and I really don't care about messy ones; I'll keep them, but I usually don't breed them. And with rares, lineage doesn't even matter to me. I think lineages are really fun to work at too. Besides, just as messy lineages can lower the value of one dragon, they can make a common more desirable. Really, I don't see how they're something you should really complain about, as they exist, nothing's changing that, so all it does is get annoying.

Yet when I started, I cared only whether I liked the sprite or not and when I first started breeding (before our handy-dandy lineage viewers were placed on our scrolls, and, prior to that, before I'd learnt about the old, treasured fansite Jade Destiny's lineage viewer) created some terrible messes that I now shudder to think of...

Ditto.

Although I DID like lineages then...but in a different way. Since we had no lineage page other than using JD, I spent many an hour tracing the ancestors of the AP dragons I'd caught.

It was like a journey in which you never knew what you would find...or when you'd hit a dead end (a CB). The names were the best part. Which is why the saddest thing for me to see now in a lineage, is unnamed dragons.

Lineages are why I still play the game, or else I'd have lost interest quite some time ago. I like making pretty patterns and collecting the ones that other people have made.

And then there's shared projects. Back several months ago I picked up a Maji from the AP. It was a PB stairstep...and it was on step 24 I think. I've added to it, and passed it to friends. The project's currently back with me and is at step 46 or so. (seen here) It's a fun project that our small group has greatly enjoyed over the last year.

nambs, I do understand the frustration of trading when you have little that anyone other than yourself appreciates. Most of my true metallics, while not inbred, are not particularly pretty either. My two CB metallics are picky things...they don't seem to like other CBs all that much, and with how the breeding's changed over the year, I'm lucky to get an egg, even a common one, from them at all. That's become my biggest frustration with the game: the lack of breeding success even among commons. The Purple's BSA seems to make no real difference for me. sad.gif

edited for rogue punctuation

Edited by RMMC

I just spent the last few hours trying to organize my thoughts. I don’t think it worked, but we’ll see. So this is me apologizing in advance for the possible wall of text that may follow. With luck, I’ll remember to put a TL;DR summation at the end, but if I don’t, then I apologize for that too.

And now, my two cents.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hate lineages. I hate them with the kind of fiery, burning, soul killing, heart crushing, mind numbing drive that few things in DC can match.

I love lineages. I love them like any mother/father loves his/her beautiful new baby. I love looking at the lines from Spriter Alts, even if the babies are not on my scroll.

I enjoy the work it takes to build something beautiful, and I treasure any gems I come across, giving them a home on my scroll for all times, till the internet itself comes crashing down.

But, like Ron White says, ‘You Can’t Fix Stupid’--and hunny, there are plenty of ‘ungrateful’ people in the WORLD to go around.

If you’ll indulge my rambling?

I started in November ‘09. I didn’t--and still don’t--care about lines I grab. Inbred, messy, ‘ugly’, long, uneven, anything the AP has to offer, I’ll take. I love looking at the lines of mutts, because that’s the closest I’ll get ot having some things on my scroll--like Old Pinks and Zombies (me no like-y killing).

I got some of my friends into DC, and they don’t care about lines either. We’re all inbred shelters. My buddy, ShadowWolf, even made the point that real-world royalty married brother and sister back in the day to ‘keep the blood lines pure’. So for him, inbreeding is a mark of good breeding.

And there’s nothing wrong with this style of play.

I also collect CBs and things with nice lines for breeding too. Again, nothing wrong with this style of play.

There is no wrong way to play.

The problem comes in that other people care about lines. So I avoid inbreeding--because I’m a scientist at heart, and I don’t want my non-ND pixels to grow up sickly. . . . Yeah, I’m weird/insane, but you’ve probably figured that out by now. xd.png

Still, I avoid inbreeding, for my own reasons. If I’m going to breed something for myself, I really don’t care about lineage, because it’s for me and my insatiable need to have armies upon armies of all breeds of dragons, and so take over DC through random acts of Kindness!

(Yes, my ultimate goal is throwing gifts at peoples’ heads, and cackling like mad. It’s why I was always behind Teleport, and have a small army of Magis on my scroll.)

Another thing I do is mating dragons for life. I have recently had my mind changed about this, in regards to my CB holidays. So many people want Holiday x {Insert Breed Here} to start a linage. I support this, and if requested, will switch up my mates for my CBs to help others, because I like doing that. The perma-mates thing was more for my benefit to keep from accidentally breeding kids/grand-kids/great-grand-kids/cousins/relatives together.

There is, again, nothing wrong with any of the above. Both keeping dragons mated for life, or treating the scroll like a whole pride/pack/colony are totally fine in my book, because everyone has the right to play the game as they see fit.

BUT. . . . . But. . . what makes me want to scream. . . . is when I breed something to gift, or to just FFA, or stealth drop into the AP for less fortunate players, and it ends up dead, or in the wild. Actually, in the wild might be worse, for me, because if it’s dead, it might be a failed Vampire bite, forced hatching, ND, or Zombie gone wrong. But if it’s in the wild, what happened? Did the player quit? Was my (grand)baby not good enough?

And the thing is, there is nothing wrong with people playing like that, but it makes me leery of breeding anything ‘less than perfect’ which could fall off my scroll. It’s happened. I have these two fully grown YuleBucks.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/oGWO <---The ‘ugly’ one.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/KuQX <----The one ‘people can work with’.

Now, I love both of them. When I started there was only ‘even gen’, ‘CB’, or ‘messy’. Even if it was a DorkFace or a Thuwed, if it wasn’t perfectly even gen, it was messy. There’s now spirals and stairs--steps going up, and steeps going down, or is that the other way around?--and checkerboard, and arrowheads/C’s/V’s/Crescents OH MY! (Checkers make my head explode. More power to the people who can make them, but it’s all I can handle to make Even gens.)

And I love all of these new patterns! And I love all of the old patterns too. But as you can see, both of my Bucks have CB fathers. Neither have CB mothers. I used to have a different mate for Vikas, and they gave me babies like this. http://dragcave.net/lineage/LFOo Take a good look at that, then go to the view page.

HE’S IN THE WILD NOW!?!?! That’s annoying to me. Why did it happen? Was he not good/clean/pretty enough? Did the player leave? I’ll never know.

So, I eventually found Vikas a better mate, and now I make babies like this. http://dragcave.net/lineage/pcH3 Here’s to hoping any new progeny is ‘good enough’. =__= Even with Teleport, I can only gift one of the resulting Holiday babies.

And that is the heart of my annoyance: I breed something to give back to DC, and then get slapped in the face because some--and I do stress that it’s not everyone playing DC--players are very picky.

And they are allowed to be picky. It’s fine that they are picky. We wouldn’t HAVE some of the insanely beautiful lines on DC without crazy people like them. I think the reason my seeing one of my (grand)kids dumped into the Wild bothers me so much is. . . someone else out there doesn’t have -any- {Insert dragon name here}, and you (generic) just dump a free gift into the wild, because it’s not good enough. Why Not Find It A Better Home?! Oh, it was good enough at first, but then they learned about lineages, and dumpped it to try and get a ‘better’ one bred for themselves? Ugh! But they have that right. . .

Another case. I bred one of my Winter seasonals to a Frill, and didn’t get the egg I wanted. SO. . . I bit it. The egg lived! But it repulsed, and there was no Teleport yet, so I couldn’t get it back. =.= http://dragcave.net/lineage/Gpii 3 guesses where the Vamp is now!

And on the note of Vampires, I bite--well I used to bite, back when it was closer to 50% chance of killing, 25% chance of turning and repulsing, and 25% chance of turning and keeping. So, I used to bite, and I will bite again, upon request. I target the AP ‘cloggers’.

Why? Because there are always players who want them gone. There are always people who are sad that so many ‘slots’ of a breed’s population are taken up by ‘messy’ dragons, and wish there were less bred dragons of a race, and more CBs of a race.

There is again nothing wrong with the above.

However there are people that get so annoyed/infuriated with AP cloggers, or bred dragons, or what have you, that they are willing to adopt all they can hold, and the EQ the lot of them. Then you get the people who have to keep telling them that killing the dragons fixes nothing.

So I bite, because you can’t breed Vampires, so inbreeding is a non-issue with them. Also, an egg no one would give a second look suddenly can’t find a home fast enough once transformed into a Vamp--or an ND, but I can’t make them at the drop of a hat. So I’m helping to ‘cull the unworthy’ and at the same time, make something nice for another player. Sure I might kill the egg, but it’s worth it when I’m able to get a turn, repulse or not.

And it’s perfectly fine if you think I’m a monster for doing that. I’m going to keep doing it, because I want more Vamps, and because the Vampire gifting center closed down JUST as I got my army big enough to have a bite every day of the month--at least! I will give little Vamps away. . oh yes. . . yes I will. >3 *Insane cackle of evil here*

(However, I’m now wondering if lineage is starting to matter on Vamps or not. If it is, I’m going to be slamming my head into a desk for a few hours. I get why people care, but it’s going to make me shake fish at people.)

Now. . . the fun part of the wall of text. . .

Some of the people have said that the OP’s problem is of their own making, and that they can solve everything by going to a gifting thread.

To which. . . I would like to say. . ‘It’s not as simple as you’re making it sound.’ Example: I have 1 gold dragon. I got it from Jetaime. It is messy, and I don’t care because it’s mine. There are people who don’t even -have- a gold, and I will forever be grateful to Jet for giving me this lovely gift. However. . . . All of the Gifting threads have rules.

Now I’m not against the rules or the gifting threads, but I want people to be aware that one can’t just sit back and get anything they want. My one gold means I can only ask for 1 more from the gifting tree OR from the Gold Gifting Center. And what I get is what I get. And I’m fine with that. It’s when I start breeding for others that it’s going to get dicey. Will the extra babies be killed? Will they be bred, then killed, to ‘clean up’ the lineage of their children? Will they be grown and then thrown into the wild?

Also, once I get that 2nd gold, I have to build up my army on my own. Fine by me. It’ll just be a bit before I can start gifting. And there’s always the Birthday gifting thread . . even though you can only get a gift once a year, and you need to provide 3 options, not all of them can be rare. So, yeah, hedge your bets, and ask for 3 things you need, and pray. Asking for Silvers? Not an option. I have 2, and can’t ask for more in most of the gifting threads I find. But at least they are Even gen, and I can build mates for their babies. I’m actually in the middle of doing that for my 2nd--my Silvers are Mother and Daughter.

(I do like building even gens. http://dragcave.net/lineage/uEAP She was a lucky grab during the dump to clear space for the new ‘10 Vals, or Sweetlings. I made her this boy! http://dragcave.net/lineage/CCpP And they have made pretty Geode babies for me, like this one http://dragcave.net/lineage/6a8a. I’m thinking of making a mate for her using stones x pebbles, with Pebbles on the outside making a huge V which the resulting Geode will be the point of, and stones in the center, of the same generation as her. And all to mate to something like this! http://dragcave.net/lineage/LK5H)

Asking for Trios? Nope. I have one of each. BSA dragons? Um, I can ask for Purples (not high on my to do list), but I have more than the limit on the others. I seem to be able to breed anything else I could ask for. . . Outside of unbreedable things. But that’s besides the point.

And I’m not the only one frustrated by the issue of lineage. I joined the Tinsel gifting thread. There are wonderful, gorgeous people in that thread. They have had to put in the rule saying that applicants cannot have a wish list, or preference list of the Tinsels they get. Why? Because people have asked for Tinsels, and then when the gifters gift to them, they reject the gift because ‘the lines aren’t pretty enough’, or ‘it’s not what they wanted’, or something else like that.

That infuriates me to no end. I got this lovely bronze through the thread! http://dragcave.net/lineage/FEdYM Some people would look at this and cringe--they have the right to. Others are like me, and start to drool when they look at it. I was lucky--LUCKY--enough that someone was trading a CB pink egg in one of the trading threads. I bred my (gold wing) SnowAngel x Pink (both CB), got an egg, and traded it to them--you know who you are, awesome person--so that they could still have a pink, and I could have a CB mate to her. . . . once she genders. . .

(@_@ This baby is giving me gray hairs. If it ignores the influence and genders male, I’m going to have to hunt for another CB pink to influence female. But it will be worth it. Because I want to continue the spiral, because I like building lines for gifting.)

The person I bred my Pink x SAngel for thanked me, saying that the bred egg was in some ways more beautiful than the CB Pink. That little comment still gives me warm fuzzies in my tummy. It’s also what’s changed my mind about perma-mating my Holidays, because the other SAngel on my scroll is mated to an Albino. . . for now. >3

But again, I’m lucky. I’ve very, very, very lucky because I put in the time, and I have the makings of building beautiful things.

Now, others have mentioned gifters . . . I actually got randomly gifted a silver Tin after getting the bronze through the thread--and after making up a wish list in my profile. xd.png Ah. . . I really am lazy. . .

ANYWAY! http://dragcave.net/lineage/iW4NG Look at it. It’s sexy. I influenced it male so I could continue the new spiral, and have been trying to find a mate for it. I found one guy with a 2nd even gen PB Black, which gendered female. For a few hours I had a good chance of getting the girl to mate with the silver, but. . . the guy got a better offer. Hey it happens, and the Tinsel thread does have a form I can fill out to request a mate. I’ll probably end up doing that, but I’m going to at least try to get a mate on my own first--because they’re overworked and understaffed as it is.

And that’s where the OP’s feelings and mine mostly converge, we go through the trading and gifting boards, and find people asking for. . . ridiculous things for what they have--but hey, this happens in all games. (Anyone been on the Global Trading Tower in Pokemon?) Or I’ve found people who set up one-way transfers on some pretty babies, go to the claim link, and find that I have just missed grabbing it, because I’ve been surfing the boards, and bouncing between 3 - 5 different topics for that mate I need for something new on my scroll. Seeing enough outrageous asking prices, and missing enough free gifts to the fastest clicker, and I want to start slamming my head into a wall.

And then I look at what I have, and wonder if people will even consider doing a trade for what commons I can breed, when they look at what others are asking for the same thing (that they have to offer). Will they think I’m trying to cheat them out of what they ‘could’ get? Will they think I’m asking for something reasonable? Sure if I offer BSA babies, I’ll probably get a few nibbles. That’s one thing, even if the lineage is ‘ugly’ people will keep BSA dragons to use if not breed. (And again, people do freeze inbreds for sprite collecting.) So I could breed ‘messy’ things to BSA dragons, and that might be enough to protect the babies from being killed.

So yes, being part of linage projects and gifting threads does make it easier in some cases, but not all.

(Another thing that gets me in a rage, when ancestors get randomly killed. I’ve come back from my Hiatus to find a few of my Thuweds/DorkFaces have lost their connection to the family name. This is very bad in the case of my one ‘09 Valentine girl, http://dragcave.net/lineage/tmPJ CB mother, not a CB father. So I bred her a mate http://dragcave.net/lineage/1MjV, to make this! http://dragcave.net/lineage/voNk. Only now part of the line’s been cut, so yeah. . . I have no clue what will happen to the babies. I think the only thing I can do is get CB mates to breed them with, and hope the people grabbing their babies are willing to continue the stair, um step? Stairstep, stairsteep, I’m calling them all staircases until I figure that {censored} out! As I was saying. . . grabbed by players willing to continue the line. Otherwise. . . yeah . . . I’m not going to be surprised if I breed them, and the babies get picked up by people who latter kill them to start deadlines. That’s part of the game too.)

The other gift? Well, one of the mods in the Tinsel thread bred their one bronze, and made something so sexy, that I squeed in delight upon seeing it. http://dragcave.net/lineage/m6gDc I’m letting fate choose the gender. I have pinks and can build a mate for it. But look! This baby has all 4 sprites for the Sweetling in its ancestry. It’ll make a good mate for a Silver metallic I haven’t bread yet. . . or a Geode. . . or a Stripe of some color.

Did I ask for it? No. I had my bronze gift from the thread, and I was happy. But I squeed. So I was held at cute point, and forced to take the baby. Cute Point! With Glomping and Evil Laughter! *Huggles eggy* And I regret nothing. ~<3

And during last Halloween? Well I didn’t have any Pumpkins, nor did my friends who I was catching for. (During high volume holidays, their connection dies, so I help.) So I was in the IRC, hoping to get lucky in FFAs, or just snag stuff on the AP. I ended up chance meeting an awesome player--Xelfi (not sure if they’re still here. . . ) Why were they awesome? They were looking for PB Pumpkins, 2nd gen, and even. They kept finding Pumpkin x Pygmy 2nd gen evens. So I told them what was up with me and my friends, and with Xelfi’s help, I got Pumpkins for myself, and my two friends.

That was one part luck of finding a person nice enough to help, and one part working my {censored} off to find a Pumpkin, or someone to help me get a Pumpkin.

And that brings me to my point about Gifters: They Are The Most Awesome People In DC, and they get hammered with requests if they advertise that they gift. They set up rules, and some of them even quit because people make specific demands of them.

The players have the right to ask/hope for dragons of the breeding they want. The breeders have the right to get fed up. They have the right to make rules to help keep their sanity intact. And everyone has the right to make the lineages they want to make.

And there was the point made that the OP could just make a Neglected, and then trade for anything they needed/wanted? Yep. That’s true. We could all do that. . .

Now I might be wrong on this point--actually I might be wrong on a lot of things I said, so there’s no need to really listen to me, is there?--which is why I saved this point for last.

My understanding it that it’s NOT EASY to make an ND--that’s why people ask for them. Before I left, there was no formula for getting them, and the success rate was pretty low. I’m wondering if there’s now more support out their for people trying to get them, so that NDs are easier to make, but it’s still not a 100% success rate. If it’s still hard to do, then I face-palm at the person who suggested this to the OP, because they missed the point. If it’s gotten easier, then it’s a fair enough suggestion.

TL;DR

So I will rescue all the dragons I can, because that’s how I play. I will breed for myself, because that’s how I play. I will breed for others, because it makes me happy. I’ll ask for help from those willing to give it, and try not to be a pest about it, because giving makes others happy too. And when the extra eggs of a clutch fall off my scroll, and they don’t have ‘pretty’ lineages, I will hold my breath and wait to see if they end up dead or thrown into the wild, because that’s how other players play.

(Sorry, I tried to make a hide box to put the wall behind.)

I prefer cb, I try to grab as many cb as possible and try getting 2nd gen if they only be bred breed. But I don't care about lineage if they unbreedables or hatchie for freezing, I always bite or ND messy lineage common in the AP.