nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

If you look at it from a purely practical standpoint, anyone can breed some 37th gen inbred whatever. Not everyone can breed say, a 4th gen PB black or a perfect checkerboard silver. It becomes more valuable because it is both harder to create and harder to obtain, so there is a shiny factor even to lineages. Especially if it's a rare dragon on top of that.

For awhile I was catching tinsels out of the AP specifically to gift them to people who had none--I stopped, not because I can't catch them but because I couldn't find people who would accept one that wasn't a 4th gen perfect 2-breed stair. Frustrating? Yes. But at the same time, I am just as picky, if not moreso. I spent two days in the AP catching Christmas dragons because I refused to accept anything less than 2nd gen. Sometimes I wish I didn't care so much, it would certainly make my DC experience easier lol.

I've even been gifted dragons that I will never breed because their lineages are not what I wanted. It's just how it goes sometimes. If someone were to request me to breed one of these personal unbreedables I would, but no one asks because they don't want them either. I don't even breed my own tinsels anymore because I can't give the offspring away.

I don't think it's lineages that's the problem, it's that other players have driven the 'cost' of rare dragons up, sometimes by making unreasonable demands. And these costs become acceptable when other people are willing to pay it, so it's not just the fault of the person trading the rare dragon. I shake my head when I see a newbie trying to trade a paper for a low gen tinsel; I also shake my head when I see someone trading a CB gold only for a neglected or a 2nd gen holly IOU. Unfortunately if you want to play the trading game, you have to trade what other people want. Sometimes that includes specially lineaged dragons.

If you're looking for trade fodder, next time there's a new release try catching a bunch and getting them to hatchlings as fast as possible. I know people who have gotten some nice shinies doing that. Or having a batch of reds and/or pinks ready during said new release, for the people who maybe don't have any available and need them fast. The good thing about trading is that everyone values dragons differently, so with some patience and creativity I'm sure you can get whatever it is you're looking for.

Am just getting into lineages and breeding and stuff. But what I AM learning to hate are the tinsel-fails - practically EVERYthing in the AP is some sort of TinselFail.

Am just getting into lineages and breeding and stuff. But what I AM learning to hate are the tinsel-fails - practically EVERYthing in the AP is some sort of TinselFail.

Funny. I stopped breeding tinsels because I was having trouble to GIFT them, and I started breeding them only to get the fails. xd.png

I've got some pretty nice tinselfails I've picked from the AP.

I happen to like tinselfails, and openly take them in. I've seen a tinselfail as low as 4th gen and it makes me sad that they are unwanted because they aren't tinsel, even though they have a great lineage.

I love how it looks when people cross-gender a pair of same-gen tinsel-fails and pair them -- um, that was a lot of jargon... what I mean is, when you get two tinsel-fails of the same generation, and breed them so the lineage is a diamond-shape. I think it's so pretty!

I hate lineages because people seem to want certain types of dragons (ie, vine alts) but won't take them if they're "inbred". Inbreeding affects NOTHING AT ALL in the long run. If you're wanting a vine/black alt, I assume you're wanting it for the sprite appearance not the lineage. People make such a huge deal about lineages, and you're right, OP, I can't trade anything anymore because "the lineages are awful" or the dragons are "inbred". Yes, pixelated inbred dragons make a huge difference in the sprite appearance. huh.gif

I personally have nothing against any kinds of lineages. I do understand people prefer low-generation rare dragons, and I can see why. Still, in my case, any dragons are welcome in my scroll.

In fact, I decided to make a little game out of which of my dragons are the most inbred and then find another dragon that might beat them. Maybe I should make another game to see which of my dragons has the longest lineages. I find this stuff fun.

I think pretty lineages are...pretty to look at. But I don't have the patience to create many of them myself. There are times when I know I could've traded something for a really beautifully lineaged egg, but then I think, "What the heck would I do with it?!" Other than look at it. I would never have the patience to breed up a mate to go with it.

I really admire the people who do have the patience and imagination to create beautiful lineages.

Never used to understand it, but frankly, I do now.

It could be compared to dog ownership, I guess. Some are in it for the showing, some are in it for the pet-owning. Depends on the individual. Normally, both sides still care about the dog itself, but those that show them do NOT want an inbred one, while a pet owner might specifically choose an inbred one because no one else wants it.

Edited by digipup

I really...don't care about lineages at all.

Like I mean...I look at them, and I find the short/small lineages to be nice I suppose? But the super long complex ones that are either perfected/synchronized or just flat out messy give me a gigantic headache.

But as my one friend put it last night;

'there are few family trees weirder than dragcave ones'

Meh, I personally don't care. I'll check for inbreeding, but I won't abandon or kill a dragon because of it. I just flag it on my Excel spreadsheet as being inbred. But a random mass of dragons is just as good as a neat, orderly lineage in my book.

My opinion of lineages differs depending on what I want to use the dragon for. If I'm looking for a CB dragon to start a cool lineage with, then obviously a dragon with a lineage isn't worth anything to me.

But if I'm just catching the dragon because I want another dragon, then the lineage doesn't matter much.

I don't like inbreeding though. Or super huge lineages. And I like for the parents to be named so that I can base their offspring's name off of them.

I do not keep dragons at all unless they have nice lineages.

After being a member for over a year now, I've noticed one thing; GENERALLY, only newer members don't care about lineages, or dislike lineages. All the old and hardcore members tend to want nice lineages, myself included. No inbreds, nothing messy.

It is an important part of the game.

We joined at pretty much the same time, so I can agree with that.

For example, I can breed an amazing red BSA Thuwed or Holly. Not many people can say they can. And that could easily get me a CB ND, or at least a 2nd gen, if I so desired, come December of next year. But I used to despise lineages, or didn't bother to check. Now I often review my dragon's lineages and wonder what i was thinking when I was noobie. But lineages are what, in essence, have kept the game alive so long. I mean, if you think about and take lineages away, I could easily be able to win DC and get every sprite, given enough time and effort. Ans then I would be bored and quit, maybe hop on every now and then, breed something and vanish for long periods of time. I mean, I have lineages like:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ZaVa6

http://dragcave.net/lineage/cSZT

And I love them. I would not trade a CB ND for either one. They are lovely, and more importantly, they are /mine/.

Lineages off my scroll I don't really care about, though, even if I bred them.

when i started out it was just geting all the types, cb, pb, mixed didnt matter, i just wanted one of each type, then i started collecting all the cb, still lack some, and now its a lot of linage building

why? because you got too have a challenge to keep going, i got over 1000 dragons, just grabbing random eggs of the AP is no challenge anymore, i got my share of those from the begining days of the dragons who were around then, before i started looking at cb and pb collecting

its even a challenge too name dragons often unless there is a naming scheme they just end up with random things from comercials or tv shows which happen too be on, along with a tag name for i change once a year

a lot of people been playing dc for years and years, yes it can be frustrating too find some things, but if you just want a random eggs most people who got heaps of dragons have no problem breeding that for free for you, because most of those 1000's of dragons doesnt get breed

but the things they need you may have too have something else they need to trade for, which is where it become though, because they been around long enough that what they want and need are the things not easily come by, like cb metalics, blacks and other dragons you dont often see in the cave, and just for the reason they are harder to come by, it makes it more challenging too make lines with them and make them more attractive

a craving for new challenges is what lays behind the linages, and their value, wanting too collect new things, you already collected all the breeds, so what next too collect is linages, even gens, purebreeds, stairsteps and so on...its something new to collect that gives a new type of challenge thats whats there is too it, i got friends who been along just as long as i do who dont do linages but they arent as active so they still got challenges in collecting all the breeds and keeping up with those

there is no point being frustrated about the seek for challenges, because guess what, without the invention of new challenges many would get bored and quit the game, and the dragon material they sit on would be lost for everyone, less people with hollies around, less chance of finding a dragon where frills and old pinks could be found where it shows in a pedigree without going many generations backtracking

and so on and forth...and yes also over time less chance of seeing any other special event dragons because most would be bored leave the game, so a year or two after they come out they would be as rare and hard to come by too collect as hollies are, unlike now where you could see them stall in the end on the AP and i think most who wanted them could get them somewhat easily enough

the grass always seems greener on the other side, but it aint always the case and everything has consequenses, so new challenges keeping players around is a good thing, is it frustrating when you cant find what you want instantly sure it can be, but you can learn too be patient as well...i stoped fretting over it, keep enough balls in the air and you wont feel like you are constantly banging your head against a wall while waiting to find what you want too find

i been uber frustrated i couldnt get hold of a holly the first couple years when i was new and frustrated, i given up that aproach, the fact is lines seem too keep more and more people around so that means more and more people have them, they become more common since unfortunatly not as many was around for that drop as the others, and in a few years it will be easier geting hold of one...i can wait, there is plenty other things too do meanwhile, and it just is another challenge unfilled too keep me going

Honestly, I love lineages, though I'm all for collecting message lineages as well. I'm still learning how to create lineages. I haven't figured out how to keep them even ^^;

Been here since 08 and I still can't figure em out xd.png

http://dragcave.net/lineage/CD9W

Tis my first attempt ^^

I absolutely COMPLETELY agree with the trading thing though. Been trying to get a gold for as long as I can remember, I don't have a thing anyone would want because of the whole nice lineage thing, it's irritating. I managed to catch some silvers from back when the AP refresh catching was around, but I find with teleport around now, it's even harder to get any rares let alone trading them.

I was lucky enough to be able to catch some tinsels in the AP @_@

Edited by SandstormL

I'm new, but I like the idea of lineages myself.

For me, I plan to do a purebred breeding program, strictly for a point of pride and to show my dedication and determination. I do not expect a ton of people to want my dragons. I am not using anything 'rare' or 'special', but I like what I'm planning to do anyway. happy.gif

I love some of the lineages, particularly even-gen checkerboards, just plain even-gens with mostly purebreds, purebreds with alts (like red/purple Dorsals), arrowhead ones, and purebreds with bases. Visually, they're just super appealing to me. biggrin.gif

I completely agree with those who don't get it. And honestly the same with inbred. They're pixels people. They're not going to get physical deformities becasue of inbreeding nor will having a certain linage bring out traits that you want like if you were breeding dogs, cats or whatever. Pixels don't have genes to pass on!

Edited by DarkGoddess

I'm not picky about lineages too. Some of my first dragons have long lineages, when they were picked up in 2008, nobody really cared. smile.gif

I'd rather have a long lineage than having a 2nd gen by unnamed parents. Somehow that bugs me more. tongue.gif

I have quite a few sloppy lineaged dragons and several nice lineaged dragons, and many cave born dragons as well. Simply put, dragons on my scroll run the gamut. However, when breeding, I'm usually careful when choosing their mates. Why? Because I like the appearance of neat and carefully planned lineages better than ones I think are sloppy looking.

I have quite a few sloppy lineaged dragons and several nice lineaged dragons, and many cave born dragons as well. Simply put, dragons on my scroll run the gamut. However, when breeding, I'm usually careful when choosing their mates. Why? Because I like the appearance of neat and carefully planned lineages better than ones I think are sloppy looking.

The same.

For me, it's more a sense of personal pleasure when it comes to lines, if/when I create them. I can look and go "Every single dragon there, I caught or bred myself!" or "This one was a gift from a wonderful person. I'm glad I fit them into my lineage" or something similar.

It's not really a better or worse thing. Just different strokes for different folks. happy.gif

Honestly? If not for the linages I would get bored with this game after some 2 months. It's simply fun making them, seeking a mate, waiting to get it. make's me to want to come back. it cAn be frustrating at times but the bottom line is it's fun.

I do have messy dragons, for the sprite or bsa and then I play with linages. for FUN

otherwise what? you get all the sprites and then what - breed them till the end of times just to hoard?

and saying that one can't get some rare ones cuz of the trade value and not being able to get what ppl demand for it...sorry but sounds silly. there are heaps of gifting threads or blockers threads where you can get it. it might not be a week but well, we're talking about rares anyway

LOLOLOL. I personally still don't get where all this elitism about lineages came from although I see where the people who like it come from, but I guess I just tolerate it.

I joined DragCave (the site, not the forums) when there was only one cave, no such thing as BSAs, and definitely no actual trading.

That way, I never really bothered with lineages, but of course, seeing an interesting one intrigues me and makes me happy, especially if it's a gift. I don't know, I'll just enjoy seeing which eggs I could pick up, what they will turn out to be, and probably gift some, if there's someone who may like any of them.

I personally love to plan my own lineages though. (For the most part, they are, save for one oopsie with my Pillow and a Ribbon Dancer, OTL.)

Edited by Hoar

I absolutely COMPLETELY agree with the trading thing though. Been trying to get a gold for as long as I can remember, I don't have a thing anyone would want because of the whole nice lineage thing, it's irritating. I managed to catch some silvers from back when the AP refresh catching was around, but I find with teleport around now, it's even harder to get any rares let alone trading them.

I was lucky enough to be able to catch some tinsels in the AP @_@

See, I like lineages in part because if you can catch or breed something pretty or interesting there is a good chance you can trade up to something nice.

I just got a pm from someone I was trying to trade with who declined my offer, in order to accept a CB black instead, for her holiday lineaged egg. I have also traded a nice AP find for a CB black and bred a lineaged egg to trade for a gold.

It's kind of fun to see what other people are willing to offer for un/common eggs bred to a pretty pattern.

Edited by Tawanda001