nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

Ah Lineages.... I don't really care for them. Sometimes you get a nice short one, or a huge messy one... doesn't bother me really. I usualy check a lineage to see what my dragon's parents are, or what kind of family it was born from.

I find it fun and interesting to see just what kind of dragons were bred to create the egg you have. ^-^

I used to not care about lineages and I would just take any Tinsel no matter what the lineage. Now I'm starting to appreciate the nicer ones and I can't get on any Tinsel lists to try for a better lineage because I already have Tinsels... and I don't want to just kill or release them... sad.gif

I've a similar problem, I picked up two tinsel from the abandoned section, one is inbred and the other a broken lineage. But....I can't bring myself to abandon a couple of pixels for a pretty lineage. That I was able to click on them fast enough rather than have someone give them to me is a plus too.

I just came back after not playing for a couple years. I was surprised at how important lineages have become. Since they weren't really important before, I've nothing currently to trade that anybody would want.

Also bittersweet that some of the previous commons have become a bit less rare due to BSA and lineages. Good to see they're wanted more now, but sad I have a hard time getting them.

The idea of lineages gives me something to think about; I've never made my own. I've seen some pretty nice ones & it makes me want to see if I can make something just as nice. Since I've managed to collect just about every dragon sprite DC has to offer, I've actually been giving some thought towards making one. I just need to stay un-egglocked enough to actually start. tongue.gif

What this rant boils down to is this. The longer you've been in the game, the more you care about lineage. Once you get all the dragons, there isn't much more to do but Breeding Projects or Hoarding.

I guess it really depends on the way you look at DragonCave, your scroll, etc.

I've been here for a few years now (my first dragon was in August 2008), but I don't care about lineages at all. And I rather hate the way this game has gotten so focused on lineages and trading value, as opposed to how it was before the lineage-feature was implemented.

Personally, I still have *plenty* to do on DC. I pick up AP-blockers and raise them into hatchlings and then abandon them for other people, since even blockers tend to get snatched up fast when they are already hatchies. I breed my uncommons and rares whenever I can, and drop any rares onto the AP. I take my time naming my dragons, trying to think up perfect names for each and every one of them.

No, lineages are definitely *not* the only thing left to do, just because I've collected the breeds I want to collect.

I've a similar problem, I picked up two tinsel from the abandoned section, one is inbred and the other a broken lineage. But....I can't bring myself to abandon a couple of pixels for a pretty lineage. That I was able to click on them fast enough rather than have someone give them to me is a plus too.

I just came back after not playing for a couple years. I was surprised at how important lineages have become. Since they weren't really important before, I've nothing currently to trade that anybody would want.

Also bittersweet that some of the previous commons have become a bit less rare due to BSA and lineages. Good to see they're wanted more now, but sad I have a hard time getting them.

My friend, you have 5 cb silvers and 3 cb golds I saw at a quick glance on your scroll. If you can coax shiny eggs from them with a pretty partner you have a wealth of trading material. Plus a number of blacks, if you can get alts from them I don't think lineage matters in that case to a lot of people. Tinsels have become the common metal, the really hard to get ones are the original golds and silvers.

Back on topic, I signed up with the forums because I wanted to do trading and that was the only way. I am newer player so can only read about how things were prior to the new changes this year. (started in July) Lineages were interesting and confusing to me to start. Many of them seemed ho hum until I ran across the ones with holiday starting lines and had a chance to get my pretty tinsel, (before tinsels totally overwhelmed the market and they became dime a dozen for any past 5th gen). So now I am hooked on even generations though I like some of the spirals and arrowhead patterns too.

Yes I look at my dragons' lineage pages often thinking of what mates would be good and being paranoid I might find a tombstone. What I don't like are zombies and failed zombies making holes in lineages. Sadly since I am new I don't have all the old holiday dragons so must get stock from other people if I am going to have them in my dragons lineages. This rash of slaughter over Halloween was almost enough to make me give up trying to trade anything. So now you know what I hate about lineages.

Almost forgot! Shame on me!

As for folks not liking the lineage page... It can be so much fun though. :3

Kudos for the awesome misfits! biggrin.gif

Edited by Dracaena

I don't trade, so the bred eggs I don't keep go mostly to the AP although I have gifted a few as well. I try to focus my breeding on more desired eggs.

For me, creating lineages or neater looking lines adds a challenge to the game. Since I'm breeding dragons anyway, why not try and breed them into neater looking lines? Before I started paying attention to how I bred my dragons, I bred this from a CB silver + black http://dragcave.net/lineage/XCvv. Later, I bred the same silver with a different black and got this http://dragcave.net/lineage/JO5C. Although they are both silvers from the same CB silver + a black, I like neater looking lines, so if someone were going to give me one or the other, I would choose the second.

i'm just going to pop in and say, that i wish i didn't care about lineages...

back when i first started...collecting any dragon was fun to me. i still have the same fun now, but i find myself pitching eggs back to the AP because of lineage...and i just wish i didn't care, because it makes hunting for specific eggs take up a lot of my time.

with that said, i'll take in any hatchling but for eggs, it's cb or interesting lineage or it's not on my scroll...

i'm just going to blame the forums for this, just because before i joined, lineage didn't matter to me. but teleport and the wanting to trade...has pushed me into thinking twice about the dragon's lineage. and it irks me...personally. D:

edit: i sound like i hate lineages, but that isn't the case. a lot are beautiful. i just don't like spending hours hunting because my urge to have pretty things won't let me take anything messy. xd.png

Wow. You completely summed the whole thing up for me. This is EXACTLY how I feel now and I don't like it either. I think you are my soul breeder! xd.png

When I first started, and as I went along, in my innocence, I'd breed what ever I felt at the moment. I didn't think about what the lineage would turn out to be. I was a happy little breeder who actually tossed more eggs in the AP than I kept. I just wanted to share my eggs with folks.

Now in the last year, give or take a little, I have apparently become a lineage snob. dry.gif My breeding has come to a VERY slow crawl. I nab eggs and toss probably 90% of them back after I see their messy lineages. I see eggs that have pretty, near perfect lineages that may not all be the same dragons, but you can tell they mesh very well. Then the last person bred in a dragon that makes it stick out like a sore thumb. WTH? If that had been a hatchling, I'd have kept it and frozen it, but it was an egg. I don't get why they didn't see the lineage and think, well they are all shades of blue, red and black. Maybe I should breed something like that, but nah, I'll breed in a beige dragon. *head desk*

Please someone tell me how to reprogram my brain. sad.gif

As for folks not liking the lineage page... It can be so much fun though. :3

O M G! ohmy.gif This is the greatest lineage I have EVER seen! It's completely hilarious! Thank you so much for making this and letting me see it! It just made my day! biggrin.gif

I love a good lineage, esp if it apart of or my own project. You can have so much fun, and its nice to go with a naming theme, even if its not written down I even have a little background story for a few of them.

But I also do like my CBs. I think it depends on the phase, one month one breed will be all the rage and impossible to get, the next month it will be a common thats suddenly hard to get. Just how it goes. biggrin.gif

I like most lineages but am getting fairly SICK of all the Tinselfails that clog the AP.

I love lineages... or Even-Gens. I love even-gens. The order of them is so much neater than other types of lineage, and it takes so much more work to get like a 13th gen non-inbred even-gen than most people realise. It's crazy stuff.

Within the Even-Gen catergory, there are some things prettier than others. I personally am a big fan of the ones that are both Multi-coloured and orderly... like This One.

I care less about the lineages of Shinies, because I like shiny things, but I'd still prefer An Even-gen, or in my dreams a CB. My only silver has so far given me one shiny egg. Next one he gives me will be killed after it's given me some shinies, so I can have neat and orderly Psudeo-second gen Silvers. I don't care about the Tombstones, I just like the orderedness of the Even-Gen's and the way that there are'nt any gaps.

See my sig. I'm a lineage snob and proud of it. I love lineages and I'm quite picky about them. :3

I would think that if there's a enough interest in it that those people who want to trade eggs without thought about lineages could just start their own trading thread for such a purpose. Seems like there's a trading/gifting thread for about every niche you can think of.

lol the old geezers remembering the good old days! It could be a generational thing.

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

I really don't get it. You want a Silver, you've wanted it for two years.

You know, that you might get it easier if you had a nice lineaged offer for it.

In those two years you have not ever thought of starting a lineage project of your own just for trading sake?

I was lucky and got a 2nd gen Silver for a very special lineaged dragon. And the person I traded with did get the Silver via trade as well, for a special 2nd gen Marrow.

So you see, some work might get you want you wanted for two whole years...

Oh, and some of my favourites on my scrolls:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/qIVW6 (will be continued)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/J409g (will be continued to 8th gen - all dragons on my scroll)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0PHfK (bred by me from two Tinselfails found on the AP)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/lKHnt (gifted to me)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Gd13l (also bred from two lucky AP finds)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/FWbP (one half from my scroll, the other gifted)

It's a bit like painting or drawing. If you want to create something beautiful, you can do it and I truly enjoy the process and looking at it in the end.

If you do not want to create something, then just leave it and be happy.

But don't complain about the people who pay more for the paintings they like than for any common printed poster...

Edited by lilysally

I like lineages. I saw a dragon with a linage that looked like a crown which I thought was rather neat.

I have two dragons with linage that I think are particularly neat. The first is Winged Peace. Look at all those cb whites, it must have taken forever to get them all.

The 2nd is Bloody Thuwed. He is a 5th gen Thuwed, but what I think is neat is that he is a Thuwed on both sides.

When it comes to lineages, anyone can breed two random dragons together, but it takes a lot more time, patience and effort to make good linage dragons.

Edited by Valera

I remember a time when the lineage tree did not exist, you could only track parentage by clicking the parents name, so on and so forth, it was harder to find inbreeding back then.

Now a days, I mostly prefer sprites over lineage, however to make it simple on myself, I only name caveborn dragons and rare dragons on my scroll.

This is of course, an exception with tinsels, I collect lineages, in that case, This is mostly stairs, but I like to see sprites I like in there, makes it more valuable to me. In this way I actually like long gen tins way more then shorts. I must say I find my 9th generation BBW tin far more beautiful then some 2nds or 3rds i've seen.

OMG, I just picked up a relative of that on the AP xd.png

It's not as perfect as the one in linked in the quoted text, but I still love it.

It's spreading!?

Yessss... all according to plan... >:3

This just made my day. You have no idea. And this is why I -love- making lineages.

Honestly?

No, I don't hate lineages, and I think your vitriol over something so easy to ignore and enjoyed by so many players is kind of ridiculous.

You think you're at a disadvantage because you don't care about lineages?

Au contraire, my friend.

If you're happy to have any old black egg, then you go ahead and take those ones that four or five or six people have chucked back in the AP for being inbred. I'm sure nobody else will mind, and you'll be perfectly happy to have it.

If your problem is that you can't trade for something you want, then go to a gifting thread. Everybody on them asks for non-inbreds; if you're willing to take something inbred you'll probably get the eggs you're looking for pretty quickly.

If you're happy to have any old black egg, then you go ahead and take those ones that four or five or six people have chucked back in the AP for being inbred. I'm sure nobody else will mind, and you'll be perfectly happy to have it.

If your problem is that you can't trade for something you want, then go to a gifting thread. Everybody on them asks for non-inbreds; if you're willing to take something inbred you'll probably get the eggs you're looking for pretty quickly.

Yeah, what are you guys who don't care about lineages trying and failing to trade FOR, anyway? The only sprite you can't easily get an inbred or messy-lineaged version of is a metallic or a neglected, and except for that one glitch period, it's ALWAYS been hard to get ahold of a metallic or neglected, even before lineage pages existed. Everything else you should be able to trade for in spades if you don't care about the lineage of the eggs you get.

It's spreading!?

Yessss... all according to plan... >:3

This just made my day. You have no idea. And this is why I -love- making lineages.

I think I need that lineage....

Look at this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/qukUV

I have one CB Vine of the right gender... And they refuse to go near each other! *weeps*

So get another CB vine and influence it to be the right gender. CB vines are not usually hard to get from the cave or try trading for one.

As soon as I look, they're aaaaaaall gone. rolleyes.gif

I actually haven't seen one in ages.

As soon as I look, they're aaaaaaall gone.  rolleyes.gif

I actually haven't seen one in ages.

Aww, too bad. I actually had pretty good luck trading for what I needed for Vine mates in the common dragon thread with nicely-lineaged tan ridgewings and red dorsals, though. If you can breed either it'd be worth trying? Or if you don't have them, I could try breeding for you if you'd like...

(And that is one reason why I love lineages. Makes things that'd otherwise be extremely difficult to obtain for people with poor connections much more feasible at times.)

Edited by Imbecamiel