nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

No, I don't hate lineages. As I get closer to what I consider "scroll completion", they give me something to do beyond just grabbing sprites for the hell of it. The way I see it, DC is about the pretty pictures and having a nice lineage, such as this, this or this, adds to the base attraction of the sprites, imo. So I like lineages on several levels: They mean I can make pretty pictures out of smaller pretty pictures, they keep my interest in DC going long after just collecting the sprites would have done, and there's a social aspect involved since some lineages can only progress through cooperation with others.

Personally, I am always happy to gift out lineaged eggs to people who ask nicely. *points at signature* Particularly because some of my lineages would not even exist were it not for gifts from others.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

When I first started I just collected dragons - two of each kind at least (Male and female) and more if I liked the sprites. Even managed to catch CB metallics and other items with ease.

I didn't worry about lineages or anything like that.

As time went on I collected a few lineages that interested me, Dorkface and Thuwed started my own lineage the Witch Legacy Lineage, though the WL lineage I started for myself and then later offered to others.

I don't worry if the dragon is lineaged or not, I don't care how many generations it is if it is nice or ugly looking about the only thing I do worry about are inbreds. I am willing to gift eggs of anything I can breed to people, and do gift out a lot of my bred eggs.

In some instances if I get a nice even gen dragon I do try to find or get a nice even gen mate for it. It does take a lot of work to get even gen non inbred dragons to get something like a fifth or sixth gen or even higher dragon with no inbreeding.

I don't know why some people are all " I only want a low gen silver or gold or tinsel" but if that is how they choose to play the game that is their choice. I have not had any problem finding homes for any dragon egg that I have bred be it metallic, common, rare or what have you. Course I don't breed all my dragons, never have never will.

I know a lot of people spend a lot of time making these really nice lineages, and I seriously just do not freaking understand it.

I mean, let's say you have a black egg. It's damn near impossible to find black eggs any more, I personally am happy to have one no matter where it came from. But whether it's caveborn or has such and such lineage directly affects how tradeable it is. Which puts people like me, who don't want any armies on their scroll, who don't want to spend months making the perfect lineage, at a distinct disadvantage.

In reality? How often do you look at your dragon's lineages? Be honest here.

I know a lot of people like knowing they have a special dragon because of its lineage, the same way people feel special because they have a pedigreed dog. But ugh. It just annoys the ever living CRAP out of me. I mean, all the dragons that I collected before this lineage thing became a fad, are now worth nothing, and their eggs are completely worthless to me for trading.

I know complaining won't change anything, but it makes me feel better.

Hi there. From reading your post, it seems that you're angry because you think your own dragons are now "less valuable" for trading purposes, etc because you personally haven't focused on collecting/designing lineages while others have. You're angry because you feel you have nothing worthy of trading for a silver without having fancy lineages yourself. sad.gif

I'm sorry you feel this way. Please do not project your frustrations on those people that like to collect/design lineages. To each their own.

In the meantime, have you signed up on the gifting threads to receive a silver? Taking a look at your scroll, you have some very nice tinsels. Do you participate in trades/teleporting? Perhaps someone with a silver would love one of your tinsel eggs. I see you also have an alt black. Alt black eggs make great trade fodder and should help you to get the eggs you're still looking for. smile.gif

Good luck!

When I started, the only difference between CB eggs and bred eggs was the "Egg stolen on:" / "Egg bred on:" date description, so obviously I didn't really care about lineages. (I actually preferred bred eggs over CB because I didn't like the thought of stealing things. tongue.gif And this was back in the days when bred eggs weren't nearly as plentiful as they are now.)

I did start to care about inbred, back when lineage links were added, although that was mainly because other people cared about inbred, so I figured I'd want to try and keep my dragons clean (although I wasn't always successful with that, especially since I had to check by hand back in the beginning). I still have those early lineaged dragons, and I'm not getting rid of them, even the inbred ones. (Although I did put "IB" on the end of their names so that I know, and know not to breed them in at least most cases).

After that, I would collect CBs, just because I liked having CBs, and kept thinking that I might want to start a lineage with them (although it was just a thought, and never got anywhere. I really wish I had started in on my purebred Frill project, but oh well. I also wish I had been interested in CBs back when the Bright Pinks were out, but that's a different story as well).

I have only recently started to truly care about lineages, and that's because of the challenge it brings. I am a big fan of holiday x common checkerboards, because they're pretty, and it takes work to ensure that you find the correct mate the next year. I think they're awesome.

So I like lineages, because it keeps me interested in the game, and I've been known to trade eggs other people feel are rare in exchange for a nice-lineaged common. smile.gif

Yet when I started, I cared only whether I liked the sprite or not and when I first started breeding (before our handy-dandy lineage viewers were placed on our scrolls, and, prior to that, before I'd learnt about the old, treasured fansite Jade Destiny's lineage viewer) created some terrible messes that I now shudder to think of...

This.

I didn't look past the parents when I started here and I only had some CB pairs due to new releases. It was the Tinsels that made me fall in love in lineage buildings. A little late to think about lineages. xd.png

But since Silvers hardly breed and Vampires kill everything I now spend my interests to lineages instead. This game never gets boring that way.

/pokes join date

When I first started, all I cared about was "Get ALL The Breeds!" regardless of what their lineage looked like.

Then I got them all.

If I didn't have a side project, like even-gen lineages, to keep me busy, I'd just come around for holidays to get new eggs, which would be exceedingly boring. (I pity my two hideously-lineaged golds. Yes, they're golds, but they're ugly to me because of how unbreedable they are.)

When I started, the only difference between CB eggs and bred eggs was the "Egg stolen on:" / "Egg bred on:" date description, so obviously I didn't really care about lineages. (I actually preferred bred eggs over CB because I didn't like the thought of stealing things. tongue.gif And this was back in the days when bred eggs weren't nearly as plentiful as they are now.)

This was me exactly! I thought CBs were boring when I started, so I usually grabbed things out of the AP. I'm also one who is wishing I didn't care about lineages... but it does seem that you need good ones to be able to trade, which makes me only want to trade for nice lineages, so that I can continue to trade their offspring. It's a self-fulfilling cycle now xd.png

I do like the pretty lineages, and I do think it adds a lot of depth to the game, but the old-timer in me sort of misses the days where it didn't matter. Partially, yes, because a lot of the dragons I got "in the old days" are no longer valuable laugh.gif Back when blacks were plentiful all the ones I collected were rescued out of the AP that was clogged with them and therefore have "bad" lineages. D'oh!

Generally, I like lineages, especially if a certain type of dragon is not and never available cave born, like Tinsels or holiday dragons which were released before I joined.

Actually, I prefer cb dragons and cb dragons only. For example: A Gold with a lineage (even if it's 2nd generation) is nothing to me; I found several Gold eggs in the AP during the years and abandoned them again because I did not want them. I want cb Gold, and since I never managed to catch one I don't have any. Having a gold with a lineage on my scroll would not make me happy, actually it would be quite the contrary.

I simply like thinks being clearly arranged... in real life as well as when I collect pixel dragons.

ninja.gif

I completed my scroll, got bored, released all my dragons and quit. The only reason I came back was the introduction of lineages, and I wouldn't be here now if they hadn't been implemented. So having something to do other than collecting every sprite is pretty important to me.

Of course, now I'm kicking myself for releasing all of those old pinks and frills. xd.png

I also joined in 2008 and I like lineages. I kinda consider them a well imagined and created image almost like a painting. I also have fin making them. At first, yes I didn't care but then after someone collects all the dragons they want and don't want multiples or armies, what is left to do but quit? Hunting down the things you need for a lineage is fun, because honestly I have seen everything on DC pass through the AP countless times. I find it fun to keep setting the bar higher. If you don't like a challenge, that's fine too. I also look at the lineages I have often. I just got done sorting through my even gen magis when I saw this topic...the irony of it all

@Nambs: You can easily join gifting threads to get all the things you need. You could also make a neglected and easily get your silver and possibly a full set of dinos.

@Nambs: You can easily join gifting threads to get all the things you need. You could also make a neglected and easily get your silver and possibly a full set of dinos.

I have a lot of gorgeous even-gen dragons simply because I snagged a spot on a gifting list in the even-gen thread.

Here's a few of my favorites, which were all gifts or AP catches:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/H1pAF

http://dragcave.net/lineage/WEBoG (Tombstones are Zombies)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/erTGt

http://dragcave.net/lineage/rTb94

http://dragcave.net/lineage/vefvg (Building a mate for this one now)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/L3ovB

http://dragcave.net/lineage/8Cml7

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Uc5F4

And I've got gifting lists for siblings to these, which I generally give out for free:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/tVpib

http://dragcave.net/lineage/NtH2f

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ulsVj

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Rm62i (Closed - working through the current requests)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/hVcc (Closed - working through the current requests)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ApX3O (New)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/vol0R & http://dragcave.net/lineage/DKE9R (Magi Only, I'm still trying for Reds) - This is my current project.

I like lineages because they add value to otherwise common dragons, so if you've got the patience to breed them you can have easily-breedable yet still highly trade-able options.

I didn't care about lineages when I first started playing but after awhile I felt it was the next step to take. I like collecting and making pretty things, and some of the work that goes into making a lineage is pretty hard and rewarding. Yes I look at my lineages all the time!

I know some of you are frustrated with the players who do lineages because it's difficult for you to trade anything unless it's considered "valuable", but I've been gifted a lot of shiny things by just participating in the gifting threads. Also, here are some people out there that have no problem breeding for others with no string attached, so stop whining how "it's not fair".

Have fun it's a game!

I tried breeding my silvers to gift an egg for the person on page one who needed one but they either weren't interested or didn't produce an egg. Silvers are hard to breed ;_;

Edited by mxtine

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

That is what the gifting threads are for. biggrin.gif

I keep about as many metallics (for myself or for trade) as those I gift out to people for nothing in return. I gift out both really nice lineages as well as the less than desirable lineages (i.e. messy) .

I've gifted 9 metallic golds in the past 3 months through the gold gifting thread. I've gifted 1 silver through my personal breeding request list. The golds and silvers kinda go back and forth on production rates.. right now.. golds are running good, silvers ain't doing squat lately.

People generally don't seem to be too picky about the type of metallic gold they get. Silvers are a different story. When the silvers are breeding good.. I find I usually have a hard time GIVING the messy lineages away (clean ones mind you; not inbred) and usually end up just dumping to the AP.

Heck... I had one person who asked me to breed them a 2nd gen Silver from silver x black parents. I bred it for them and they refused to accept it because they didn't have room on their scroll and didn't feel like making room for this free gift that they specifically requested. I offered to hold on to the egg until they could let me know when they had space open up...but nothing. I eventually hatched the egg and dumped the hatchling through the departure thread totally making someone else extremely happy. I happened to breed another 2nd gen silver x black the following week..so being the nice person I was I again offered it to the person who requested it.. they ignored me. Needless to say they were removed from my list after that.

It's just something neat and interesting to work at. I mean, why do anything? Why play Dragon Cave in the first place? Why do people draw?

When I joined all I thought was "There are dragons! DRAGONS! And I can have one of my own! YAY!" biggrin.gif

And then: "Hey, a male and a female can make eggs, that's funny!"

But as soon as I noticed the option of making planned lineages, such as even gens, I never wanted to have unplanned ones any more. Sometimes when I'd find an egg on the AP that was bred from one "perfect" and one "messy" parent, I'd think "oh no, who does such things?" - but meanwhile I can imagine that there may actually be players who dislike planned lineages exactly because they are planned and don't look natural. Or players who just don't care. And all of those mentalities are equally legitimate.

Of course the trading problem is generated from the fact that you can easily make a messy lineage by breeding some non-messy dragons together, but not the other way around, and this makes the non-messy ones kind of "mathematically" more valuable.

But you still can make good trades without caring for lineages. You can't change the general preference for certain types of lineages, but there is also a preference for hatchies (some people want them for freezing, some for getting the gold trophy). I've often seen trade offers where the "Want:" part says "any hatchie, any lineage" or similar. Maybe this helps?

And, as others have pointed out, gifting threads of course. DC is full of incredibly kind people. smile.gif

Which puts people like me, who don't want any armies on their scroll, who don't want to spend months making the perfect lineage, at a distinct disadvantage.

-No. In fact, it is hard to find the person which is interested in eggs you have actually to offer. And it is not really easier if you have spent a lot of time in creating lineages. I spent years now to create what I call "interesting lineages". And in fact, there are not so many other users in DC which are as interested in these lineages as i am. tongue.gif

In reality? How often do you look at your dragon's lineages? Be honest here.

Very often. I like the lineages very much, that is the reason why I am trying to create it.

I mean, all the dragons that I collected before this lineage thing became a fad, are now worth nothing, and their eggs are completely worthless to me for trading.

- That is not really a problem. On the one hand there are many gifters around in DC, you have just to talk a bit with other users. My first two tinsels were gifts. On the other hand you can hunt in the AP, there are often interesting lineages which are worth to trade.

Best regards

Aulendil

lol the old geezers remembering the good old days! It could be a generational thing.

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

I joined around the same time and am getting into the lineage thing now. Getting all bent outta shape about lineages seems to be a trifle - well, trifling, given everything else that's going on. But developing a lineage is kind of like a math problem, or a logic problem. I look at mine all the time, and spend a lot of time working out which beast to breed with which beast. It's a part of the fun of DC for me - like naming.

Sorry you don't like it. It kinda seems like sneering at someone who collects music because they don't listen to only YOUR tunes.

You don't HAVE to grab a lined dragon (that someone has worked hard on) you know. And there are several Metallic gifting threads.

Getting all bent outta shape about lineages seems to be a trifle - well, trifling, given everything else that's going on. But developing a lineage is kind of like a math problem, or a logic problem. I look at mine all the time, and spend a lot of time working out which beast to breed with which beast.

it's just like anything else going on in the world. People who breed dogs, horses, etc... there are carefully planned breedings for show/race quality or random back yard breeding for low quality/mutts.

People who want the high quality stuff will seek it out. People who want the low quality or free stuff will seek it out. Neither method is more right than the other.

There's a lot of quiet satisfaction to be had from creating a lineage, too. I'm really proud of this egg that I bred earlier today. Sure, to many people it's just a Pebble, but it took me a lot of effort to plan and breed it and all the names in the lineage, read top to bottom, right to left, make up a complete quote from the Doctor Who TV series. And I'm really looking forward to gifting out siblings to others who also appreciate such things. smile.gif *snugs lil eggie*

Took me about a year to get this fellow bred

http://dragcave.net/lineage/PhrR1

To be honest, I don't know that a sibling would trade for anything. I like the lineage cause as others have said, it gives you something to do besides collect sprites. But they aren't necessarily valuable just because I spent a year on it.

But, teleport has given us an explosion of trading threads. There's a lot more there than there used to be.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/Rm62i (Closed - working through the current requests)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/vol0R & http://dragcave.net/lineage/DKE9R (Magi Only, I'm still trying for Reds) - This is my current project.

I wouldn't mind asking for one from these if there's ever room. I'm always looking for more even gen magis to add to my collection and the other one just amuses me.

I don't really care about Gens and Lineages, just that they're not inbred- even then, I'm not too fussed about that... On the other hand, I'm doing my best to increase the Dorkface family. I have four of various breeds on my Scroll alone, and I'm willing to breed nearly any species if any wants some.

I like lineages because it seems like more lineaged dragons have names than the non-lineaged ones. Like a few others have said, it does add a challenge to just collecting dragons, and once you start having a few hundred dragons, locating the perfect mates can be like putting an intricate puzzle together.

That, and participating in this kind of project is epic.

I probably wouldn't even fuss with lineages, even for trading, if it weren't for the challenge.

I find it slightly irritating when people turn down an offer cause *insert dragon here* isn't a low enough gen.

THIS.

This is the only reason I hate the fuss about lineages.

Other than that they don't bother me one way or the other