nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

I know a lot of people spend a lot of time making these really nice lineages, and I seriously just do not freaking understand it.

I mean, let's say you have a black egg. It's damn near impossible to find black eggs any more, I personally am happy to have one no matter where it came from. But whether it's caveborn or has such and such lineage directly affects how tradeable it is. Which puts people like me, who don't want any armies on their scroll, who don't want to spend months making the perfect lineage, at a distinct disadvantage.

In reality? How often do you look at your dragon's lineages? Be honest here.

I know a lot of people like knowing they have a special dragon because of its lineage, the same way people feel special because they have a pedigreed dog. But ugh. It just annoys the ever living CRAP out of me. I mean, all the dragons that I collected before this lineage thing became a fad, are now worth nothing, and their eggs are completely worthless to me for trading.

I know complaining won't change anything, but it makes me feel better.

Edited by nambs

I know how you feel. I can understand why people like nice lineages for certain projects and such but I'm just as happy to have a gold egg with a messy lineage than one with a stairstep, spiral, etc. I find it slightly irritating when people turn down an offer cause *insert dragon here* isn't a low enough gen. Edited by Booo

Honestly, I think that being pissed off by them is just going to lead you to a lot of frustration. It's like you're pissed off that people place different values on things than you do. That's just going to end badly.

If you want a black, or something, I'm sure you can find somebody who'd give you a messy lineaged one. Or, hell, even a nice lineaged one. People'll do that.

Me, personally, I find them to be something fun to work on from time to time, when I've nothing else to do. Some of them are really pretty, and I like that.

And I also like them because a good lineage can make an egg more valuable than it would otherwise be. I can have a common dragon, but if it has a really really pretty lineage, then to the right person it may be much more valuable than if I had just snagged it CB, even.

I personally look at my dragons' lineages quite a bit. I know quite a few people who also do so.

I enjoy lineages. They're a fun part of the game aside from hoarding ALL the things. >8D Making pretty lineages is actually relatively hard work, in particular in the even-gen area - higher even gens are difficult to attain.

Besides, it gives one a goal that's not just LOL GET ALL THE SPRITES.

And sometimes, lineaged eggs are prettier than CB eggs, especially if the lineage is hard to create or contains spriter alt sprites in it.

The only time lineages don't really matter to me is when the egg/hatchie is a shiny. Infi eats the souls of the shinies no matter how inbred. >8D

i'm just going to pop in and say, that i wish i didn't care about lineages...

back when i first started...collecting any dragon was fun to me. i still have the same fun now, but i find myself pitching eggs back to the AP because of lineage...and i just wish i didn't care, because it makes hunting for specific eggs take up a lot of my time.

with that said, i'll take in any hatchling but for eggs, it's cb or interesting lineage or it's not on my scroll...

i'm just going to blame the forums for this, just because before i joined, lineage didn't matter to me. but teleport and the wanting to trade...has pushed me into thinking twice about the dragon's lineage. and it irks me...personally. D:

edit: i sound like i hate lineages, but that isn't the case. a lot are beautiful. i just don't like spending hours hunting because my urge to have pretty things won't let me take anything messy. xd.png

-----

edit2: i made myself not care about lineages now...and hunting/breeding is less stressful for me. made the game more enjoyable...imo. lol

Edited by lightningsky

I don't care about lineages either and I don't understand the hype. It's hard enough getting all of the breeds, but now each of the dragons has to be special too? It's just too much.

We started around the same time, I wonder if it's kind of a DC generation thing.

Honestly.. I think it's amazing that some people put so much thought into lineages. I've seen some that just look like art. I love looking at other people's lineages. But I don't care if they're on my scroll or not. I get all soft about the pathetic seeming ones or the cast offs. Sometimes a long messy lineage is fascinating too.

I don't care about lineages either and I don't understand the hype. It's hard enough getting all of the breeds, but now each of the dragons has to be special too? It's just too much.

We started around the same time, I wonder if it's kind of a DC generation thing.

lol the old geezers remembering the good old days! It could be a generational thing.

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

I dun't thunk so. Look at my join date. I'm pretty big into lineages. In fact I was one of the original folks who started the Even Gen craze.

I do look at my dragons' lineages, particularly when I've worked hard to build a particular lineage. It's one of the things that keeps this game fun for me, since I had nearly all the available dragon breeds ages ago, and catch the new ones pretty much within the first hour of release.

I have to agree...

I didn't care about lineages at all until I came onto the forums.

One cannot trade at all, if one does not have nice lineages to breed. In a way, I'm forced to care what something is 'worth'.

Now I feel like I have to care.. (but all the same, lineages are nice. I really want to do waterwalker x terrae *squees)

However, I look at this lineage: http://dragcave.net/lineage/4mKPD

A. Lot.

Edited by DarkEternity

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

I will admit, I like looking at lineages to see what different (or the same) breeds are in it, and I know for a fact most of my dragons that I have on my scroll aren't pretty to look at ^^; But I do understand you're feelings about trading though. I mean, I too, am trying to get a Silver (though I was lucky enough to trade for a messy one a few weeks ago), and it seems everyone is looking for either 2nd gen Tinsels or Hollies blink.gif Now how on earth can people even think about getting a Silver, let alone a metallic (clean lineaged or not) when about 80-90% (slight exaggeration) of the people who play DC don't even have those sad.gif Also, for me, it depends on what I want day to day. Some days I'll catch whatever, no matter the lineage, other days I'd rather look for stair-step or even spiral ones, just to add a bit of flair to my scroll... no matter the breed.

(Sorry for making you all read a big wall of text ^^; )

*Edit* Typo xP

Edited by FluffyPillow

I didn't care about lineages at first because I was more concerned with trying to get all the different dragons, but I got into it eventually because it's fun to make pretty things. (I caught that guy's father on the AP, looked at the lineage, said "oh wow!" biggrin.gif and had a great time chasing down dragons to build a mate for him.)

Those of you who hate lineages because you have no trading fodder to get the eggs you want, check out the gifting threads, and the wish list thread (if you haven't already). There are a lot of generous people around here who might just give you the egg of your dreams, and all you gotta do is ask. smile.gif

Edited by Rusty Chevrolet

I enjoy lineages too. o3o

When I started to play, I collected any eggs with nice descriptions or unusual appearances, then looked through their messy-messy-messy lineages and was so happy, besause: "Wow! Pretty daydream has golds and silvers in the lineage" or "Cool! This albino has all dragon types and its ancestor was caught in 2007!"

But then I collected most of the dragon types and began to collect cb dragons, because "they are better". So when I collected almost all possible cb dragons, I began to tire of playing this game.. so today only two things keep me playing: ND experiments and beautiful lineages :3 (love of dragons and new releases are on default of course)

Just my opinion,so.. ^^

Also, there are a lot of threads, where you can get free dragons even metals, especially if you don't care about lineages. And a lot of people here can breed most of their dragons on request.

Edited by freefall

I like lineages. I think they're nice to look at.

After I caught one of each sprite that I wanted, I nearly quit the game because I figured I had done it all. Then I discovered lineages.

They make dragons special and gives me a reason to keep breeding them.

As for your desire to collect certain eggs, check out the gifting threads.

There are tons of people willing to breed and gift long-lineaged rares away.

Also, I tried breeding my Silvers for you. No eggs were produced.

Edited by miladyz

i'm just going to blame the forums for this, just because before i joined, lineage didn't matter to me. but teleport and the wanting to trade...has pushed me into thinking twice about the dragon's lineage. and it irks me...personally. D:

Ha, this is me. I didn't really care about lineages either until I joined the forum. I do like trading because I've gotten dragons that I would have taken me longer (or never) to obtain. But yeah, sometimes... dry.gif

I was looking at a few of my lineages the other day, and I didn't realize that a few of my blacks were descended from Dorkface. I thought that was neat.

Honestly.. I think it's amazing that some people put so much thought into lineages. I've seen some that just look like art. I love looking at other people's lineages. But I don't care if they're on my scroll or not. I get all soft about the pathetic seeming ones or the cast offs. Sometimes a long messy lineage is fascinating too.

Me too! wub.gif

I also like long, messy lineages. x3 It's kind of haphazardly pretty and fascinating. biggrin.gif It's cool to see the stories lineages tell. :3 I mostly just work on lineages for gifting.

I just started in September, but I'm...meh, I'm not crazy about lineages, but it depends on the dragon. I care about tinsel lineages because I enjoy breeding them as gifts (or trading, but I still collect longer lineaged stairs for gifting bc I don't like giving people messy lineages) but most other stuff...I guess you could say I care about it NOT having a lineage tongue.gif Most of the time, I'll only raise CB dragons (not including tinsels or metallics) because I like being able to breed them with whatever other dragon I want without having to worry about it having a really messy lineage and not looking "pretty". Plus, I'm a bit OCD so messy lineages make me twitch rolleyes.gif if it's rare, I'll keep it IF it's a lower-gen, two breed stair. Again, OCD :x I also hate even-gens (mostly because they're just so hard to breed and keep it looking nice) so I'll only take an even gen if its 3rd gen and PB or two-breed symmetrical sleep.gif

EDIT: I'm attempting to make the largest CB moonstone army ever :3 somehow a second gen moonstone x shadow walker slipped through though tongue.gif at least it's pretty

Edited by shadesofchaos

I have to say I do deal with lineages every day. Some of my dragons I won't breed because I think they'll produce a lineage I don't want. It's a work of art sometimes and I respect those who work hard on their lineages for projects. And, yes, a certain value if placed on certain lineages but I think that is always the place in free trade. If something is rare and valued more people will want it..that's the way of a trading marketplace.

@nambs

I think lineages are an important part of the game.

Let's say you (generic) have joined DC one or maybe two years ago. You menaged to get a male and a female of each bred and you don't care about lineages or hoarding at all. Why should you continue playing DC ?

Instead if you care of lineages you can try to get shorter / cleaner lineages of the bred you already have, or to mate them in order to create a lineage you like.

I understand how you feel about this. I myself have been looking for a nice lineage silver for ages, but I can't get anything valuable from my scroll too, even if I can breed what in my opinion are pretty nice lineages (but they are not for other people). And I often feel quite disapponted too.

So I concentrate my game on other things, such as working on lineages "I" like. Not for trading but because I like them.

However, I look at this lineage: http://dragcave.net/lineage/4mKPD

A. Lot.

..... wacko.gif

I think I just don't get it. When I look at well-thought out lineages I just see a big pile of dragons. People post lineages and they are like "OMG THIS IS SO PRETTY" and I just don't see what they see.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Well, you see, I want only CB or 2nd gen dragons for my scroll. Makes the game more challenging because, honestly, I can snag pretty much any Uncommon or Common, even some Rares, through trading or the AP, so it makes the game too easy. I enjoy floundering around, looking for that one CB gold I need to complete my scroll...0_0

It's a question of perspective.

If you happen to want to make pretty lineages, you can't build on something messy.

I'm so sorry now that I never bothered about even-gens until recently, because now I generally prefer them, except in Tinsels, of course.

So a lot of the dragons I once thought and typically still think pretty don't make nice, neat lineages that I now would rather produce.

But I want my gifts to be welcome to others and my trades useful, quite apart from my own greed for ones that I think are beautiful.

Yet when I started, I cared only whether I liked the sprite or not and when I first started breeding (before our handy-dandy lineage viewers were placed on our scrolls, and, prior to that, before I'd learnt about the old, treasured fansite Jade Destiny's lineage viewer) created some terrible messes that I now shudder to think of...

When I started playing, I didn't pay any attention to lineages. I wanted to build my scroll, and that was my only goal.

After awhile, though, I got tired of merely grabbing eggs, and started breeding a few dragons. A few at first, then a few more, and began to notice that low gen, nice lineaged dragons were in higher demand. Paid closer to attention to which dragons I paired together.

Now I mostly try to breed my low gen or nice lineaged dragons because not only are they more desired, but there's a greater chance that whoever gets them will breed more dragons from them, and their progeny will grow.

I guess trying to create pretty lineages is just another part of the game; after growing one's scroll for so long, merely grabbing more and more eggs becomes rather pointless.

I personally look at my dragons' lineages quite a bit. I know quite a few people who also do so.

I enjoy lineages. They're a fun part of the game aside from hoarding ALL the things. >8D Making pretty lineages is actually relatively hard work, in particular in the even-gen area - higher even gens are difficult to attain.

Besides, it gives one a goal that's not just LOL GET ALL THE SPRITES.

And sometimes, lineaged eggs are prettier than CB eggs, especially if the lineage is hard to create or contains spriter alt sprites in it.

This

When I started playing, I didn't pay any attention to lineages.  I wanted to build my scroll, and that was my only goal.

After awhile, though, I got tired of merely grabbing eggs, and started breeding a few dragons.  A few at first, then a few more, and began to notice that low gen, nice lineaged dragons were in higher demand.  Paid closer to attention to which dragons I paired together.

[-snip-]

I guess trying to create pretty lineages is just another part of the game; after growing one's scroll for so long, merely grabbing more and more eggs becomes rather pointless.

And this. Also, for me, it creates a goal beyond just grabbing commons - I have plans for them. If no one cared about lineages, I'm sure it would be even harder to get your female silver. Not only would people probably be less likely to just give away that long-lined, messy, inbred silver, but not everyone would hoard commons like candy. Well, the second still isn't true, but many people have lineage projects with commons which helps the cave circulate and the AP clear from people grabbing the commons that they otherwise wouldn't care for and ignore/abandon. Me, I have a really hard time passing up CB Mints, because I'm using them for a massive, endless even-gen project.

When I started playing, I didn't pay any attention to lineages.  I wanted to build my scroll, and that was my only goal.

This is what I was doing as a started to play DC, too. I was collecting all dragons no matter how messy or inbred their lineage was. This is how everybody starts here. But as soon as you have all the dragons on your scroll you want to have this changes and you try to find another challenge. Lineages are such a challenge. Most of them take a lot of time and I think the look pretty. If I am hunting in the AP I am always looking at the lineage of the eggs I catch there and if I find a nice lineage I try to continue it. This is a challange for me and I think that I would have already quit DC if there wouldn't be lineages. It gets boring if the only thing I can do here is only waiting for the next release.

The value of some eggs is a problem especially for newbies, that's right. But on the other hand understandable if you see the work that is put into some lineages.