TJ09

2011-10-31 - Happy Halloween

Awww, the adults are VERY pretty! wub.gif I can't for all of mine to grow up! I made sure to influence for a male and female, still not sure if I should freeze just ONE of the hatchies though. unsure.gif The adults are just too cool! biggrin.gif

where do you see the adults at? im new so

Look at the first post of this thread. ^^

I love these so much. SO much. Beautiful work, spriters. I thought about freezing one, but I think I'm gonna have to wait until next year for that - I want to be able to breed them all! Now to find the right match for a partner...

Yes finally adult.. It looks amazing..

All my hatchlings are soon to grow up.

Edited by Sourwhatup

Wow! The adult looks astonishing! happy.gif I'm SO glad I caught the ones I did biggrin.gif All the sprites are so awesome! Thanks TJ, and the spriters for yet another amazing addition to DC! happy.gif I can't wait 'til next year, I'm gonna try and catch more of them x3

Mine just gendered ^^

Can't wait for them to grow up

I think I have some weird ratio on my scroll or something.. 5 out of 6 of them are females o.0 ... this happens all the time too

OMG the Shadow Walker' description is so COOL!!! "slip between the planes of reality", woooah!

And the adult sprite is awesome.

AWESOME Halloween this year, guys!!

I just want to express again how happy I am that I decided to hoard these guys this year. They are simply lovely.

The only thing that bothers me is the adult's tail (how straight and oddly thick it is in the middle) but really, I love this sprite. happy.gif

I just want to express again how happy I am that I decided to hoard these guys this year. They are simply lovely.

The only thing that bothers me is the adult's tail (how straight and oddly thick it is in the middle) but really, I love this sprite. happy.gif

agree ninja.gif

And only now did I notice that one of them has a three letter code while the other has a five letter code. I'm sure it's been brought up before, but just interesting to reiterate...

I have expresed simple "Thanks" before, but this... This event has been the best one I have ever participated in. First was the week I could catch last years' eggs from generous gifters, I caught 8 marrows and 6 pumpkins, then there were the days of the haunted house, I spent ALL DAY at work with my nose glued to my iPhone xd.png, then came this year's Halloween release, where I managed to catch my limit. The eggs, as they began to hatch, FADED! How cool is that! And friends, I did a (very rough) copy/paste, and the Shadow walkers are indeed translucent. Woot! I placed them against an image of the horsehead nebula, and I can see stars and the black horsehead through the dragon.

Fiona BlueFire and Nakase, May I post the simple paste job I did? It looks fun!

So, yeah, guys... THANKS!

ETA: I forgot to add this:

I was having fun naming all my hatchies this morning, and I got me some good ones. Then I arranged them so that the two matching name pairs were together. Then I realized that all the names, read from top down, actually looked like a simple poem. That was NOT intentional, hah!

The names:

"Merely a Figment" <-- male

"Of Your Imagination" <-- female

"Walking the Fine Line" <-- m

"Between Illusion and Reality"<--f

(those are the two sets)

"Hiding in the Misty Shadows"

"Mist Walker"

"Stalker of Shadows"

Accidental WIN! xd.png

Edited by Lil-Stinkpot

I was having fun naming all my hatchies this morning, and I got me some good ones. Then I arranged them so that the two matching name pairs were together. Then I realized that all the names, read from top down, actually looked like a simple poem. That was NOT intentional, hah!

The names:

"Merely a Figment" <-- male

"Of Your Imagination" <-- female

"Walking the Fine Line" <-- m

"Between Illusion and Reality"<--f

(those are the two sets)

"Hiding in the Misty Shadows"

"Mist Walker"

"Stalker of Shadows"

Accidental WIN!  xd.png

don't you just love it when the new dragons inspire you to come up with cool names & then sometimes *poof* accidental win? I was naming my last pair of the new hatchlings & i was about to give the 2nd one a somewhat boring name when i paused because there was something familiar & interesting about the one I'd just named; i realized after a minute that it was part of the lyrics of a really awesome song from the LOTR movies so i immediately named its mate with the rest of the phrase

On DC, as in real life, it seems that some people don't understand the difference between constructive and destructive criticism.

"I don't like it"/"I was disappointed"/"this sucks" are all examples of destructive criticism. They do nothing to inform the artist of what he or she can do to improve (if, indeed, they even WANT to improve. Just because you hate it doesn't mean it isn't EXACTLY what the artist intended. Art's subjective). They serve only to hurt feelings and drive wedges between people.

"I would like it better if..." is constructive criticism. You're not condemning the work, but sharing your thoughts about how it could be even better. The artist may still not agree with you, but they are unlikely to take offense or get hurt feelings about it.

If you're uncertain into which category your comment falls, perhaps you ought to take an extra minute, sit back, and think about it some more. When in doubt, keep it to yourself. Just because you have a right to an opinion doesn't always make it the right thing to share it. This attitude that "they're artists, they need to have thick skins and absorb whatever abuse we hurl at them" is unkind at best.

Oh!! I just found another reason to love Shadow Walkers even more!!

Their name and description reminded me so much of something, a character, but I just couldn't think of it. Then it hit me. A character in one of my favorite series of books (The Menegarie by Christopher Golden and Thomas E. Sniegoski) can 'Shadow Walk'.

I wonder if they were inspired from that character or if it is merely a coincidence. ninja.gif

Either way, I'm completely in love with Shadow Walkers now, and have named a few after the characters. xd.png

Wow, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!

I'm a bit disappointed there isn't a different male/female sprite but the one sprite is amazing.

I am amazed all of my hatchies have gendered right! And I didnt have enough influences left so I had to wing it. Love the Adults they are beautiful!!! wub.gif

These guys are gorgeous. I'm a bit worried about the second Shadow Walker though, it seems to be sick and stuck as a hatchie. x:

On DC, as in real life, it seems that some people don't understand the difference between constructive and destructive criticism.

"I don't like it"/"I was disappointed"/"this sucks" are all examples of destructive criticism.  They do nothing to inform the artist of what he or she can do to improve (if, indeed, they even WANT to improve.  Just because you hate it doesn't mean it isn't EXACTLY what the artist intended.  Art's subjective).  They serve only to hurt feelings and drive wedges between people.

"I would like it better if..." is constructive criticism.  You're not condemning the work, but sharing your thoughts about how it could be even better.  The artist may still not agree with you, but they are unlikely to take offense or get hurt feelings about it.  

If you're uncertain into which category your comment falls, perhaps you ought to take an extra minute, sit back, and think about it some more.  When in doubt, keep it to yourself.  Just because you have a right to an opinion doesn't always make it the right thing to share it.  This attitude that "they're artists,  they need to have thick skins and absorb whatever abuse we hurl at them" is unkind at best.

I agree with this.

I've never drawn out a dragon, because frankly, I am no good at it, but I do make graphics that can take time, and I'd rather have someone give me valuable input as to how I could make it better, instead of simply saying "I don't like it." You have a right to your opinion, yes, but at least keep it respectful.

On a lighter note, my hatchies (except one) have gendered, but I had them influenced so I know all the genders, so I named them. I tend to name my dragons with two names, based on coloring, or a synonym to the breed's name, so I have these:

Males

Vivid Obscurity

Vivid Penumbra

Females

Pure Obscurity

Pure Penumbra

Whatever dragons I plan on breeding together I make sure they share the same first or last name, just so I don't get confused. I have over 200 and I can't imagine trying to breed them unnamed, or without having a similarity somewhere. Much easier to figure out which ones I'm breeding when they share a name.

Once again, thank you to TJ and the spriters for the wonderful work. It was my first DC Halloween and it was very enjoyable. I only wish I had found DC much sooner, as I've missed opportunities like the Frills, CB Marrows, CB Hollies, etc. etc. I definitely enjoy collecting my dragons and seeing what wonderful things I can do with them! happy.gif

These guys are gorgeous. I'm a bit worried about the second Shadow Walker though, it seems to be sick and stuck as a hatchie. x:

Are you talking about TJ's? He froze one of them, which is why it seems stuck as a hatchie happy.gif

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

Agreed and agreed. I really do LOVE the design -- they're so pretty, and translucent! and just generally have a wonderful ghostlike, phantasmal feel about them. I have no trouble believing they can slip into shadow and near-invisibility. They're very graceful, too; they make a nice complement to the other Halloween designs; now we have a scary, bitey one, a little, silly cute one, a macabre bony one, and a beautiful, ethereal, ghosty one.

I do agree that the tail looks a bit strange; I'm an artist, so I'm not in any way trying to 'dump on' the art -- it's really pretty. The tail just looks a bit stiff, like it's perfectly straight and then has a bit of a fishhook at the end, and the way it's a uniform thickness up until the hook seems to accentuate the effect. My feeling is that it should be a bit more gradually tapered along its length, and that maybe it should bend ever so slightly, so that it doesn't seem immobile. The angle it's at gives the whole dragon a somewhat slanted, off-balance look, with a strong, uninterrupted diagonal from upper left to lower right.

But again, I do *really* like the dragons! That's not meant to be taken as a complaint, merely as a critique. And aside from the tail, I *love* the legs, the claws, the face, the neck, the ears, the misty swirls...

Wow I love these. I'm so happy I got two through trading and gifting(I really am horrible at catching them myself). I really can't thank those people enough.