elynne

DC Ethics & Morals

Probably not as much as it used to, because of how the AP's been working- people will grab fairly low-time eggs because it means quick hatchlings, and eggs won't show up in the AP until they reach the time left of the ones that are showing now.

You can do whatever you wish with your dragons, but unless they have nice lineages or are uncommon breeds the eggs might not be appreciated much. Personally if I find messy lineaged commons in the AP I smush them. tongue.gif

It is not against game rules to breed whatever you want into the AP even if it is a whole army of them. The only way it is "wrong" is subjected to players' opinions. Some people really do not want you to breed things like waterwalkers/waterhorses/Flammingos, ect. Regardless though, people will take your eggs.

I don't think people are so set against commons, as long as they are pretty lineages. I love picking those up in the AP. Messy stuff that looks to just be randomly bred with no reason other than to be breeding, not so much.

I'm still trying to figure out what drives people to mass breed, I don't understand the urge behind it myself.

Certainly you are allowed to do so, for it isn't against the rules. It is more a matter of courtesy. For me it is not quantity, but quality. I don't mind the wall of 2nd gen mints 42 breeds, but when every egg I pick up is horribly long and messy and clearly from the same person, it does get irritating. Depending on what egg they are, and my mood at the time, I will likely freeze the hatchling once gendered. If I am low on freeze slots, or not in the mood, I just throw it back to the AP.

The one thing I am grateful for all mass-breeders though, is that they generally lower the amount of time left on the eggs in the AP. I have been thoroughly enjoying having incu-hatchable eggs in the AP.

Edited by Nectaris

I'm still trying to figure out what drives people to mass breed, I don't understand the urge behind it myself.

Number of reasons:

1) To try and lower time of AP by mass breeding anything, especially messies.

2) The feeling that it'd be awesome to breed an army of your own into the AP

3) Make a certain species harder to breed into. Ex: Chances are harder for a metal to produce from metal x mint so breeding a lot of mints before breeding to a metal would slightly increase your chances at getting a metal.

4) Help prepare players for new releases by breeding BSAs like Reds/Pinks.

My personal morals:

- Never kill/trade/release a gift, even if it genders incorrectly/is a lineage I don't like. I like seeing the dragon on my scroll to remind me of the nice person who gave it to me, regardless of if I can carry on the line or not =3

- Never use EQ or the kill option. I will occasionally release dragons that were part of wonky lineage projects that went south.

- I'm not against biting but right now the chances of it working are too low to risk

- Never deliberately inbreed, but I'll adopt/keep and freeze inbred hatchies if I do accidentally breed one or pick one up.

- Try to avoid breeding a lot of uber commons. Every now and then it's inevitable if I'm trying for a rare and get the common parent's breed, but I won't mass breed random things.

- Name every dragon

I hold with very few of the DC mores. The only two I really care about too much are:

- Name my dragons (It just makes the lineages so much more fun).

- Don't breed messy dragon lineages unless it is for the BSA (i.e. I'll breed messy reds to get people some more reds).

I don't generally want inbred dragons, but that is more because I care more about making my own lines from CBs than for any other reason. I do breed commons because, well, I want them. I do release some of their eggs into the AP because it's fun to breed even when I am scroll-locked. I like seeing what names people give them (if they name them). They are mostly purebred second gen, so someone always uses them.

Let's see, my morals...

-no outright killing, I did kill once for a zombie (and he's adorable!), I do plan on making a CB female zombie at some point, and I considered using EQ once only for t to go through without my clicking the confirm button (I closed the page without clicking and found four dead eggs on my scroll). Never again.

-I don't inbreed. I have one known dragon (a frill) who I caught in the AP way back when I first started playing, but I won't accept inbreeds and I won't make them myself.

-I name my dragons. Not extremely imaginatively, but they do get names.

-I don't mass breed. I may breed messy lineages but usually that's an attempt for a metal gift to someone who doesn't care, and I try to make the mate a BSA or other well liked dragon if possible. Someday in the future I may be responsible for BSA mass breedings, but those are desirable babies and I would not feel bad about contributing to a wall of pinks or reds or magis.

My morals tend to range between, for example I name all my dragons. And I don't inbreed on purpose except for one lineage where the dragons in my mind have taken a cult like attitude.

I don't bite gifts, or eq or neglect them (unless they were given to me with that purpose) and if I catch an egg that the breeder wants back and I realize it I try to get in contact with them. Basically I do with my gifts what I would want other to do with mine.

I am sort of middle of the road, I think. I know they are just pixels, but I like to let my imagination play with it.

I try to avoid inbreeding because I find the idea... icky... and I will usually toss an egg back on the AP if I see it is inbred. Other than that, I breed what I please because I like to see my dragons' babies on other people's scrolls; ESPECIALLY if the new owner names them. smile.gif This goes double for the nice stuff I have, like my golds and my tinsel and my shimmers. I like to name my dragons... though I don't have names for all of mine yet; and I like to describe them. I don't usually KILL dragons, though I may decide to release them. I haven't tried for a neglected, though that may be a thing I do at some point. I TRY to avoid using earthquake for the simple reason that I would feel bad if I had something good and it ran away or, heaven forbid, died. I confess that I DO let my vamps bite. THOUGH, the dead egg if it failed would bother me, and I usually take eggs from the AP... I assume no one minds what happens to those or they wouldn't be there... for the purpose, and would NEVER give them rares or anything I got on the forums where the breeder specifically said NO biting. I would like to see a lineage started from my vampies.

All of that is just me, though; different strokes for different folks and all that.

Edited by Silverswift

Other than that, I breed what I please because I like to see my dragons' babies on other people's scrolls; ESPECIALLY if the new owner names them. smile.gif This goes double for the nice stuff I have, like my golds and my tinsel and my shimmers. I like to name my dragons...

Oh, definitely. I try to name my dragons really cool things in hopes that somebody will name the offspring. And I even breed my holiday checkers and AP them, hoping that somebody will think it's awesome, but they often go unnamed and unbred. :c That's why I try to gift whatever I can on the departures forum, but my magis don't always cover it. I know some people (like my dear, Jonathan) search through the AP trying to find cool things instead of using the forums, but a lot just don't.

Woo, and I swear, if my second gen shimmer that auto-abandoned last night gets picked up by a newbie and bred to messy lineages.. I'm just going to beat my head on the wall.

But other than that, in simple words..

- I name everything that is not already given a name in it's code.

- I don't mind killing, but I have no reason to do it.

- I breed every nice thing I can afford to gift and gift it.

- I don't breed my messy lineages that I picked up as a newbie unless somebody wants something for freezing.

I think I have naturally started doing many of the things others have mentioned here, which are just courtesy as far as I'm concerned:

-not breeding messy lineages unless necessary

-picking up commons from the AP, especially CBs, and allowing them to grow on my scroll to help the ratios

-naming dragons, especially those lineaged. I like to give names based on the parents' names.

-no killing, unless making a zombie. if I need to get rid of an adult dragon I just release it. I've released several messy-lineaged ones that I picked up way at the beginning, just to clean up my scroll.

Some other things I do just to help people out...

-Breed reds, pinks and magis (especially low-gen ones) to help newbies especially before a release

-mass breed metals, tinsels and shimmers and release all the ones I'm not using to the AP

I'm probably a Cb collector more than anything, don't really like messy/long lineage dragons. Thinking about getting rod of the ones that aren't desirable on my scroll.

Eh, I suppose my ethics/morals are mainly about naming dragons and responding to PMs ('cuz that's polite). They're pixels, and I love them but they're not real critters. tongue.gif I can't tell my dragons apart without names, and I do like seeing things I bred get named even if I don't care so much about how people manage their own dragons. Massbreeding and blocking the AP with mints amuses me.

Killing doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I misbreed a pair and I'm too ashamed to let it go out into the world for people to catch then I kill the egg. Murdering zombie fodder at Halloween was fun too. >:3 Inbreeding doesn't bother me, though I won't usually do it unless for a purposeful project. I love lineages and I like seeing the creative and amusing inbred projects that people have bred.

The only code that I abide to is to treat gifts with care. I'm otherwise chaotic evil.

I create messy inbred for the evulz (both for breaking records and for AP hunters to cry over), I breed perfectly-good CB holidays to my inbred horrors just to laugh as the eggs get tossed around the AP like hot potatoes, and I always enjoy a little killing or biting when it comes to the undesirables or offsprings from a line that I neither intend to keep or release to the public.

Really, this game is way too full of diabetic-level sweetness and friendliness that it's unreal and immersion-breaking. It needs some evilness to balance it out, and since pretty much everyone are taking the moral high grounds, I'll have to do it myself.

Edited by CNR4806

Mmhmm, I treat them as real...

I'd never kill a dragon because I do write about them and I know them all and everything... I have, however, once abandoned an egg I really didn't want because I knew I'd ignore it... so maybe not entirely like a real animal. I do try not to abandon them (it was just this one was gifted to me and I didn't want to just not accept it, but it wasn't a breed I could use in my writing or imagining and... yeah... I abandoned it :'( I do hope someone else took it) and don't intend to in future. And I do name all my dragons.

As for inbreeding, if it happens to any of mine it'll be by accident.

Edited by ErulasseAranel

try to help the ratios from time to time that's what i say, you don't need a hoarde, you ddon't even need to keep them, all you need is a egg slot

I lock my scroll with CB blockers every night before i go to bed then abandon them in the morning

i think its good to take a blocker since you will be asleep and not have to wait then leave it in the AP to be hatched at a lower time and help the ratios

Edited by blockEdragon

I try not to kill, release, or rename older dragons with lots of progeny owned by other(active) people, esp when someone has named the offspring something related to the parents name.

Also, to be good about treasuring eggs gifted to me.

So far as inbreeding goes, I don't allow inbred adults to live on my scroll. I release them if I've accidentally let them grow up. I have no problem freezing inbred hatchlings at any stage I see fit.

I guess the only other morality type of thing I do is return lost eggs to owners looking for them (for example, if they've renamed the parent dragons to let whomever picks the egg up know that they are looking for that egg, so to please PM them at their forum name).

I also name all gifts, unless the code is cool enough to let be. I try to name all of my dragons, though there are 50 or so I need to catch up on xP

Edited by Wahya

I have morals when it comes to interacting with other users - I don't make promises I can't keep and I don't take eggs when they come with additional requirements that I don't feel like meeting.

As far as other things are concerned... I do not inbreed mostly because my playing style is centered around collecting interesting lineages, and I like the challenge of creating non-inbred EG checkers. I also don't do anything potentially harmful to eggs that were gifted to me, because in that case I could just have left it for someone who might be more interested in it.

Other than that, I am of the opinion that whoever owns a dragon may do whatever they want with it. I'd consider it bad form to go against the express wishes of a gifter, and I don't mind people saying "please name", but on the other hand, what's not on your scroll is no longer yours and no one's entitled to any control over how others play. I occasionally check up on eggs I abandon because I'm curious and hope that someone enjoys my lineages, but in the end, I have no control over what happens to them once abandoned, and anyway - it's a game, not the very essence of my life.

Edited by Digital Decay

The only inbred dragons I have are my Bright Pink and her babies, since I love the fact that she produces Pinks. It's also a really easy way to get Pinks /laugh.

I probably have some inbred frozen hatchlings too, but they're frozen so they don't really count. I only freeze non-CBs, the messier the better. I don't do much trading but if I do get an egg I do my best to name it, and of course I would never freeze a gift.

I try to name my dragons but I'm awful at coming up with good names... I need to work on that I guess. I don't usually kill my dragons but I do have two zombies, one adult and one hatchling. I bite eggs fairly often, usually CB eggs, though it always makes me a bit sad when I kill an egg. Roughly half of the eggs I bite that aren't repulsed are either abandoned so someone else can have a vampire or gifted to a friend. I don't Earthquake.

...all that said I have been toying with trying out ilan inbred line sometime soon, so perhaps things will change in the future xd.png

try to help the ratios from time to time that's what i say, you don't need a hoarde, you ddon't even need to keep them, all you need is a egg slot

I lock my scroll with CB blockers every night before i go to bed then abandon them in the morning

i think its good to take a blocker since you will be asleep and not have to wait then leave it in the AP to be hatched at a lower time and help the ratios

I do the same before I leave for work too, and then I abandon them at lunchtime if I have time while playing on my phone. Otherwise, I abandon them when I get home.

--------------

I eventually name all my dragons. I swear they were all named a couple of days ago, and suddenly there are another 2 dozen new ones to name.

I only mass breed reds, but I don't do it as often as I would like.

For holidays, I only breed my Hollies and my other ones are only bred if someone is looking for a certain lineage. I breed the messy Hollies first. It is part of my evil plan to have as many people fill an egg slot so they have 1 less egg slot available to hunt Hollies. Most of my Hollies are clean, but I don't take breeding requests for them. I post them for free on the FB group I belong to.

Most rares that I catch (if I don't need them) are either given away in my FB group or I trade them for random hatchlings.

I keep a list of people that I will gift to if I catch a particular rare. They don't know that they are on that list, and they wouldn't ever find out until I contact them.