elynne

DC Ethics & Morals

I was sad when I kill some dragons on halloween, if I have a problem this is one: I believe that inanimated things are alive in some way. Pictures, photos, dragons, toys, blah blah blah. So I try to give them a good home...

Treatment of Dragons: I love them like real animals, but they're just pixels. 4 of 'em are on the chopping block this Halloween simply because I want a female CB zombie dragon. If I get something as a gift, I treat it like it is the rarest thing on my scroll and will baby it. Despite this, a lot of my dragons lack names.

Lineages: I want it to be pretty. Therefore, it must be pretty (even-gen, stairstep, anything with a pattern). If it is fugly I wish to EQ it, but now EQ counts as kills so I'm booting it off my scroll. The exception to this is if it were a gift. No fuglies (gifts excepted) allowed on my scroll, whether they be shiny or holiday dragons.

AP: I usually don't look at it unless I'm searching for a lower-time CB, but if someone complains about it enough to irritate me (2 hours of complaints and whining about people with huge scrolls, for example), I have fugly inbreds I breed just to irritate them more. Y'know, since for the most part it doesn't affect me.

So basically, I'm shallow and like pretty things; I'm spiteful and breed to irritate others if they irritate me, and I'm sometimes/occasionally cruel to my dragons.

as far as practices go, I cannot stand when people mass breed their scrolls and clog the AP, especially with breeds they know will sit there for a while, like spitfires, purple dorsals, pebbles, etc. you never see them mass breed pinks, nebulas, or dragons people actually want to pick up =/

But that's so much fun... D:

That being said, I do like dropping common dragons in the AP for fun.

It gives me something do with my dragons' inbred water walker and pebble offspring.

:3

There are people who mass breed those "more wanted" things.

However, the reason you don't see them is because they're wanted and people pick them up immediately. I know at least one person who mass breeds pinks, and another who mass breeds reds.

Edited by Pink

I treat my dragons as what they are: pixels on a computer screen. I like to think of myself as their God. I hold their fate in my completely unsuitable hands.

I tend to only grab what is pretty, and what isn't is booted. The few exceptions to this is when I grabbed the fugly thing before I really cared. Back when I started, I didn't care if something was CB or umpteenth gen inbred.

I see no reason to kill the dragons, and would instead opt to release them. I assume this is more because of limits than sympathy. However, I refuse to release or kill anything (outside of failed vamp bites) as of now, because I'm working for my gold medal. Once I achieve that, and get a nice healthy cushion so I can't lose the medal, I'm going to do a mass releasing spree. Because I can.

This past Halloween, I killed a few dragons, and managed to only get one zombie. This year, I intend to kill a few more for zombies. Unlike a surprising number of people, I am unaffected by the kill screen. It's actually kinda funny.

So yeah. I guess I'm...kind of a censorkip.gif.

ETA: That second line's probably gonna get me a lot of flak, isn't it? Eh.

Edited by Annilalate

I simply follow my own 'rules'

<snip>

Not so much morals, just personal preference. smile.gif

This !

I take care of gifts - and I don't mass breed and dump. I do dump if I don't get what I intended and that MAY be inbred if it was part of an inbred lineage I was creating (though it will at least be a PRETTY lineage !) I will bite for others - don't need any more vamps myself - but am not doing at the moment as I need all the spaces I can get, and the death rate is just too high. I will kill for zombies, come Hallowe'en, but I don't kill otherwise, or EQ.

But but but - I can't QUITE see them as only pixels.... *is soggy-hearted* xd.png

I don't do inbreeding and don't (usually) keep inbred eggs I find, simply because they're usually considered less valuable. Unless I'm going to freeze them for my scroll goals.

I kill eggs only to try and force ND experiments and plan on killing dragons only when Halloween comes around and I want to try for a Zombie.

Unwanted dragons are always abandoned or released. Not killed. I just see no purpose for killing, except for the reasons listed above.

I stalk the AP for good drops, Blunas or lower time CB eggs/hatchlings. Otherwise, I tend to stick to the biomes.

I only breed for trades (if someone wants something custom bred) and for rares (Golds, Silvers, Tinsels, Stripes, Legendaries).

My scroll goal is to have three adult males of a species and three adult females (if it only comes in one gender or if it's ungendered, I just collect three adults). Then I try for a frozen male and frozen female, S2 hatchling of each species (unless, again, it only comes in one gender or if it's ungendered, then I freeze one S2 hatchie). Then I freeze one S1 hatchling.

Edited by Alpha Gryph

To me, pixels are pixels for the most part.

I don't kill dragons, because there's little point to it, as far as I'm concerned. I might do so at some point if I get it into my head to get a zombie, but aside from that, no.

I do bite. Why not? It turns largely unwanted commons from the AP into something that people actually want. I just wish I could do it more frequently.

As far as breeding is concerned, I try to stay away from dragons that are blatantly inbred, not because I care about it (I don't) but because others do, and it would render any offspring less desirable to many others. I rarely even LOOK at lineage after they're on my scroll.

I have some DC ethics.

1. I do not over-breed and dump into the AP.

2. I only beed what I will keep or what I know is desirable.

3. I do not inbreed dragons, because I know other people won't want them.

4. I keep my promises.

5. I will bite and kill to ressurect, because I know my hopes are for somethin lovely.

6. When I pick up an unwanted dragon, I will either turn it into a hatchling and let it go into the AP or I'll freeze it to keep the ratios.

I definitely have some DC ethics/morals/whatever you want to call them.

I don't create inbred dragons by breeding relatives on my scroll (not on purpose, at least), but if I pick up an inbred in the AP I generally re-abandon it or freeze it, since I don't like the kill message. It makes me sad. =( I have killed on Halloween for zombies (unsuccessfully), but it always makes me feel guilty.

Back when I first joined and before we had the lineage viewer, I didn't know about inbreeding and thus ended up with several inbred dragons. Once I knew about inbreeding and we got the lineage tool, I went through and checked all my dragons. Some of the inbreds I released (this included two of my silvers) and some I kept as name holders, but I didn't kill any.

Nowadays I don't breed very much, only when I or someone else want something specific. If I don't get the result I want, depending on what it is, sometimes I abandon it, but sometimes I keep it, particularly pretty lineages. (I love even-gens and pretty color combinations.)

Back when AP trading was still in place and dragons were lost in trade, I made an effort to return anything that I found out was a lost trade, no matter its rarity. I kept my scroll name visible and could easily be PM'd if I had snagged your dragon from the AP. Thankfully everyone who ever PM'd me to request that I return their dragon was very polite, and therefore I was happy to comply. It always gave me a warm fuzzy feeling when I passed an egg or hatchie on to the person who had traded for it. =)

Oh my..let's see my own personal set of values for DC are:

1) I try to be polite and kind to all players.

2) I try when I can to help someone out. It does feel great to gift or give an unexpected

gift that can make someone's day.

3) Integrity. I try to let my word be my bond. I don't make any promises I don't follow

through with.

4) I don't breed for breedings sake. I breed because I need it, or would like to trade for

something else but never because I'm bored or just do it to do it you know?

5) I don't inbreed. Yes, this is a very personal one but I feel that in real life (yup, I

know they're pixels) when I was breeding and showing cats that was ingrained

into me and I can't seem to shake the bad feeling I get when I see a very inbred

lineage.

6) Try to always check my posts *before* I hit reply. I might be in a "mood" one

night and unintentionally come off in the wrong manner if I let a post through without

giving it the 15 second pause as I call it. I check it over and if it needs adjustments

to tone myself down which, thank goodness, I have the ability to. I don't want to

come off as narky on a subject simply because I had a bad day at work.

I personally don't inbreed because I dislike how it makes the lineages look, and because often when I'm breeding, it's for a trade and it's extremely rare that someone would choose an inbred egg over a non-inbred egg.

I bite for others, however I'm waiting to see more vampire successes before I start again.

I don't kill my own eggs, and only ever EQ/attempt to force if I need the spot -and- it has enough views/clicks to hatch.

Sometimes I'll pick up low time eggs on the AP, but if they're inbred, I'll raise it to adult then release it. But I do check the lineages of everything I pick up. If it's messy, it goes back. If it's an egg I don't need, and doesn't have something desirable in the lineage, it goes back.

I have more ethics on DC than in real life laugh.gif

No, not really, but I'm a little crazy if it comes to dragons. Since I loved dragons for years and was so happy to discover DC, I want to treat them well.

- I used Earthquake once, not affecting tow out of for eggs and make two hatch early, from which one fled. I don't think I'll do it again, I felt a little cruel every time I read the "This hatchling was forced to hatch prematurely" Poor baby Moonstone, no wonder it showed me only his butt until it grew up xd.png

- I don't know if I'm ever going to try to get a Neglected or a Zombie. I just can't kill a dragon! Maybe I'll try the Neglected once with some inbred Caveblocker from the AP ^^

But kill a dragon? No way.

- I don't know if I'll inbreed, when it comes to more professional breeding. I don't think so, except with later generations. If a dragon has the same grand-grandparents, well I wouldn't find that so bad. Could live with that.

- I don't freeze. I want every hatchling to grow up into a full dragon ^^

- I don't want 20 of every rare dragon breed. I'm still a beginner with my scroll of forty dragons and only have one rare yet (Thunder), so I'll first try to get one of each (in fact, I would be happy to get the full trio and join the failed summoning society xd.png)

Every time I look on a scroll and see 20 (CB) rares, I think "Hey guy, there are lots of newbies to the cave and people like you spoil the fun for them with you hoarding rares".

I really would be happy with one or two of each rare (m/f).

- I don't breed with Dragons which usually sit in the AP for hours. I breed the less common, like my Sunrise, Sunsong, Nebula ... but e.g. no Green

Edited by Gluria

1) I try to be polite and kind to all players.

2) I try when I can to help someone out. It does feel great to gift or give an unexpected gift that can make someone's day.

3) Integrity. I try to let my word be my bond. I don't make any promises I don't follow through with.

Just thought I'd add that I adhere to these values too. Not just in DragCave but in real life too.

Especially number 1, since not doing so is likely to result in other people being rude back to you. xd.png

The only ethical/moral lines I follow are to treat others how I would like to be treated and to pay it forward.

I know that this is a game, and just pixels, so I have no problem with zombie making, vamp biting, ND experimenting, and so forth on an ethical level, I only do or do not do those things based on how lucky I'm feeling and what the risks are from a gameplay standpoint. But I do try not to hoard, and in fact do the opposite.

I'm easily twice as likely to gift a rare as I am to try to trade it, and for every breedable rare I keep I try to gift at least two offspring. And when I gift, that's the only thing I ask people to do for me in return. When I give away a special lineage or a rare, rather than asking for something back I tend to ask them to give offspring to somebody else without a price, and that's it. I never understood why anybody needed dozens of rares when there are tons of people with none. I just don't see the value. I'd far rather get a few to everyone. Not to criticize people who do, it's a valid way of playing, it just frustrates me sometimes. The worst used to be back before teleport when I would try to gift somebody their first gold, only to have it intercepted by somebody with 100+ :/

Treat others does effect my breeding and catching, if nothing else. If I have five slots open to hunt and the caves are blocked, I would far rather pick up a couple blockers and allow everyone a little traffic, and I would hope when the caves are blocked up other people are willing to take one for the team, so to speak, as well. But that's a personal choice, and in the end is kind of selfish, because I really just don't want to sit there forever doing nothing tongue.gif I also try to not breed blocker-level commons at all, and breed any rares or uncommons I don't have a gifting list for in to the AP when I lock myself on breeding days. Because it's always nice to find a pretty lineage or a rare egg without expecting it.

ETA: I avoid inbreeding. Not because I care, the majority of my scroll is inbred, but because I gift all the time, and want to keep pretty lineages for people who request things from me. I don't like that people turn things down for no reason, but since they do, I try to avoid it.

Also

as far as practices go, I cannot stand when people mass breed their scrolls and clog the AP, especially with breeds they know will sit there for a while, like spitfires, purple dorsals, pebbles, etc. you never see them mass breed pinks, nebulas, or dragons people actually want to pick up =/

Just for you, I'm breeding all my pinks, nebulas, reds...not sure what else tonight. I typically don't breed anything but stripes, metals, and trios on a weekly basis because I don't have regular gifting lists for anything else, but why not clog the AP with things people claim they want?

Edited by 00n0b0dy

Without inbreeding, many animals would have gone extinct, including black-footed ferrets. I see the dragons as pixels and they don't apply to real world logic. I am fine with inbred or killed dragons/eggs.

I just don't like most messy lineages, because, well, they're messy.

This. I used to be a "no inbreeding" extremist, even to the point of releasing inbred dragons into the wild, but now I don't care. That, and if I ever released any of my dragons it would cause unholy chaos with the spreadsheet I keep for my scroll...

I don't specifically have morals/values that I deliberately adhere to on DC, but I guess my playstyle reflects my values anyways.

I don't overbreed. Not deliberately, I just don't see the point in breeding if I'm locked, or breeding commons I know I won't keep.

I *do* breed my rares as often as I can remember (because I don't have a breeding schedule), and on the rare occasions when I get a rare/uncommon from breeding, it goes to the AP.

I try to only breed my inbreds when I'm not locked. I love keeping inbreds, but I know many people don't like them, and I'd rather not contribute to the AP-unwanteds.

I don't kill adults/frozen hatchlings and I don't use Earthquake, not deliberately but just because I see no point. If I have an adult I don't want, it can be released.

I try to consistantly dedicate 2-3 of my egg-slots to AP unwanteds (meaning anything that has sat there for over 10 minutes).

And lastly, I try to remember that everyone has their own playstyles, and that none are superior. I can have opinions and dislike certain practices, but as long as it's within the rules of DC, others can and should do what they want on their scroll.

The only ethical/moral lines I follow are to treat others how I would like to be treated and to pay it forward.

This, actually.

I once accidentally inbred two dragons. I didn't really want it on the AP either so I bit the egg and it stayed. I didn't want it on the parent's page so I manually killed it. I'm not even sure why I was so concerned about it either, but I did feel a tiny bit bad about it. It was a nice black egg anyway, even though it was inbred. It could have been an alt. I think I might breed that pair again just to have the same egg again and get another chance with it.

My Ethics/Moral towards Dragon Cave is quite simple.

1) Have one scroll

2) Treat others on the Dragon Cave forum exactly how I’d like to be treated.

3) Breed responsibly

* When it comes to the terms of breeding check the two dragons in mind for parenting lineage to see if there has been traces of inbreeding.

* This ties into the first as most of my dragons had some traces of inbreeding makes certain that the potential forum member is aware of this fact. Occasionally drawn to see how the children are doing is often either kept on a person scroll matured, frozen as a hatchling or release. Though known to breed both CB, PB and inbred.

* On non-event (non-holiday dates, i.e. Christmas, etc…) breeding is done every other week or longer if certain events outside of the DC community need to take first priority first. If the latter comes first rather it is part of a trade or random gifting notifies the DC forum member about the delay.

4) Gifting

* This ties into what had been mention in breeding.

5) IOU’s

* These are kept on record for event and non-event quite seriously.

* If by chance I do forget make sure that the person whom I owe the IOU reminds me as well.

6) Treat inbred dragons with fairness. How often they are discarded or killed simply based on their lineage. Often enough you’d be amazed how many known lineages might be caught up in their line.

Edited by xxDragonisPrimusXX

I don't have morals regarding my dragons, they are only pixels after all. But I do have ethics concerning other people, because they are actually affected by my actions (so I reply to all trade offers etc).

Inbreeding; Yes, I /do/ dump random eggs that I did breed. Not to spite anyone, but because, hey, why should they stay on my scroll? When they're in the AP, I couldn't care less about who got them/what happens to them (No exceptions, to /any/ breed of dragon). And then... Inbreeding. I hate to /see/ long, messy lineages. It's just... Yuck.

Breeding: I personally don't care about it when I breed my dragons because the pure lineage-to-inbred ratio is higher, but still.

AP: Now, if I see a stripe/black/rare inbred, and I am out of freezes, I'll abandon it as a hatchling, just to make others angry.

AP( cont'd):But personally, if it's bred by me, no matter what the lineage/breed, it's gonna go to the AP eventually. Maybe when it's a hatchie, maybe when it's an egg, but I don't want more than 5 of that specific breed on my scroll. (Lineages discluded, rares discluded).

Personal thoughts: I barley see them as more than pixels, and am not against EQ (Or wouldn't be, except for the fact that it's the most useless BSA out there -- Too many ratios in it. No chance to get the hatchie anyway. And besides, Incubate nulls that option completely and doesn't have any side effects whatsoever. I'm not sure why TJ put that BSA in there, but it just goes to show you), or bite. They're /pixels/. Pretty pixels, but if they ever start chattin' at you, you may want to see someone. (Yes, I have had dreams about the pixels in question, but doesn't everyone? Hello! Been playing for a year, no wonder. With some silly hiatuses for no real reason, too.)

Woah, long essay is long. =P longest one I've done on DC, I think.

Edited by Ashes The Second

On my scroll, no killing, no inbreeding, and nothing that could put eggs and hatchlings in danger are my big morals. I don't freeze hatchlings because I never find need to, and I want them to be able to grow up. I don't give dragons multiple mates either. And I always try to find some name for a dragon; I don't like seeing them nameless, unless they haven't gendered yet. I also don't like abandoning eggs that I originally bred/caught. I'm not against neglecteds, but I haven't tried one yet because it seems hard. I'll attempt one soon maybe. These things honestly don't make the game too hard for me.

Then There's the obvious: be nice to other members, only have one scroll, etc. which I definitely follow. smile.gif

My attitude to inbreeding is funny, I don't inbreed dragons (except for a couple special projects), and when vampires actually turned eggs into vampires instead of killing them I would bite any inbred egg I got off the AP. In real life it's different, I'm getting a brother/sister pair of betta fish for breeding, lol. Inbreeding in dragons has no benefits, you aren't 'fixing' a trait like you do in real life, and since many people don't like inbred dragons any inbred egg dropped to the AP just gets bounced around, clogging the AP.

I'm not fond of messy but non-inbred dragons for similar reasons.

I have nothing against killing, experimenting for neglecteds, or freezing or anything like that. I do any and all of those for all sorts of reasons.

Mass breeds are funny IMO. They can be annoying from time to time, but generally I find them amusing, even though they clog the AP. However, I will not do a massbreed like that unless it is a species that is popular, like my personal favorite, nebulas. That way the AP gets unclogged quickly.

I never outright kill dragons... I've lost a few to sickness, that's all. I have a zombie because a hatchie got sick and died around Halloween...

Sometimes I feel like my dragons are real... but only the ones I name and describe, and I've gotten lazy with that lately.

I don't deliberately inbreed, but I do keep inbreds, sometimes without knowing.

I used to hoard CB Waterwalkers to unblock the cave for other people, but they've become a lot less common lately.

And when I first joined the site, I always took my eggs from the abandoned, to rescue the poor little guys. Now I prefer the cave, but I'll take the occasional inbred egg no one wants.

I tend to breed various dragons on my scroll (for 2nd gen PBs or long-lined Dorkfaces), abandon them, and check on them a while later, to see how they're doing. it upsets me if some newb got them and accidentally killed them, but otherwise I don't really care.

I never inbreed unless a rare or an even gen lineage is involved. I dunno. I think inbred even gens can be nice sometimes.

In general, I try to only breed things people will actually want.

I do AP flood, because of the above. The eggs usually get taken quickly enough, so why is it a big deal if I send a couple dozen of them there in the span of a few minutes?

I usually return lost eggs and hatchies, but I've been greedy on a couple occasions.

And that's about it, really.