elynne

DC Ethics & Morals

i just breed what i need. there is lots of people that throw common in the ap clogging it up which is quite annoying.

Pretty much how I roll.

1. Breed not the unwanted

2. Breed no inbreds

3. I breed only for trading or gifting

4. If I breed a lineaged dragon I want the lineage to be pretty/pure/etc.

5. I intentionally don't keep a mass of any rare dragons. It makes me feel like a selfish nitwit.

Other than that, go right ahead.

I always stick to a certain set of rules, myself. I'm not obsessed, but I do enjoy playing the game a lot and not sticking to morals kind of breaks the illusion for me. So here's what I do:

1. No killing.

2. Dragons have 1 mate only and never breed with anyone but them.

3. No inbreeding. I don't mind Dragons inbred before I got them, though. I breed them as well.

4. All creatures, except for Events and the matriach, must have a mate (even my one Dino, who has a Hellfire for a mate.)

5. Bred Eggs are either kept or released when they're old enough - never abandoned (unless there are multiple Eggs, of course)

6. Children's lastnames are a combination of the parents'. The combo should fit both breeds the child can turn out to be.

7. Only catch 1 of each breed (including Events). If I want another, I breed the one I've already got.

There are also a few things I do, that aren't quiet rules, but usually apply none the less:

1-. If 2 compatible species are released at once and I catch both, I often influence them to be different genders and have them become mates, when they grow up.

2-. Eggs and Hatchlings should remain in the "nursery" (the space between my frozen hatchlings and the oldest Pink).

3-. Since some of my mating-pairs are not compatible (such as the Dino and his Hellfire-mate), I will often adopt an Egg for them, either from the AP or the Cave.

It's not all pink and fluffy clouds, though. I do get into some morally questionable things, such as not breeding my Events, or having my Vampire bite. I'll also sometimes wait for my Eggs and Hatchlings to become emergencies and then pop them into an ER or two, so they'll hatch faster and I won't have to spend so much time on them. I never do this to gifted, traded, or other special Eggs, though, and it's only when I'm not paying much attention to the game in a while. But still. 😕

Edited by Dracofilia

DC is a computer game. Killing, neglecting, biting, and stealing are part of the game if your goal is to obtain certain dragons.

Did anyone have problems with killing goombas in Super Mario Bros due to their personal morals?

Every time you take an egg from the main cave you're stealing. 99% of us have probably never stolen anything in real life, but 100% of us have stolen DC eggs. All part of the game.

The only things I do for completely moral/ethical reasons are those that involve other people. I've always tried to be super conscientious about trades, for example. Back when trades would get lost with some frequency, I'd go out of my way to replace them if they didn't get to the other person, and I returned a couple of AP catches that I saw posted in LiT, just because of moral reasons.

In-game, I don't normally kill or inbreed for similar reasons, just because I don't want it to annoy other players. (I'm still steamed that somebody traded me a nice even-gen dragon a couple months ago and then killed one of its parents a few weeks later. tongue.gif ) But I've killed dragons for zombie attempts before and inbred for specialized reasons-- I just try not to kill dragons with relatives or inbreed eggs I'm going to drop to the AP.

I have a rough set of rules that I follow most of the time. They are as follows:

• Do not inbreed or collect inbred dragons other than Vampires.
  • Freezing dragons is limited to self bred or cave born dragons.
  • Biting is fine if the egg is common.
  • Killing without a purpose is generally avoided.
  • Breed only pairs of dragons that you think people would want offspring of.
  • Personal lineage project offspring remain on scroll for as long as possible.
  • Experimenting for neglecteds is okay.
The first rule/moral will be getting partially thrown out the window once I start my purposely inbred lineage, but I'll be keeping the offspring for myself (otherwise why did I purposely inbreed in the first place?). The last rule is kinda hard for me to follow, as I sometimes get sick of being scroll locked. The majority of the time the eggs that get turfed are ones that can only be obtained via breeding and are 2nd/3rd gen. Other times, they're from a purebred stair step lineage.

I don't follow these rules to the letter, in fact, it's just how I play the game. By that, I mean that I don't specifically refer to my rules every time something happens. If I think it's okay to bite an egg, it's okay; same deal with killing them.

One thing however, my morals will be going out the window when halloween comes around. I'll be purposely killing/slaughtering (through sickness/running out of time) as many hatchlings as possible to see if one can in fact have more than five Zombies (as there are only 5 kill slots, I know they don't pertain to deaths through sickness, but I'd still like to see if I can have more than the kill slot allowance). I currently have 3, so that says I have no issues with killing them normally, for the purpose of turning them into Zombies. Edit: On second thought, according to the DC wiki they take up a kill slot when zombified, so my attempt might not work. In that case, I'll just aim at getting an ungendered and female hatchling zombie.

Edited by VampiricOmen

For the game:

1. I avoid inbreeding my dragons, and eggs picked up from the AP that are inbred, try and either bite or hatch, freeze and release them.

2. I try not to needlessly breed an egg only to drop it, especially if the AP is full. Sometimes I like breeding and dropping nice lineage eggs, but most of the time if I breed it's because I want an egg.

3. If an egg is bred and has a certain lineage or named parents, I'll try and continue lineages, name after parents, the kind of thing I like seeing happen to eggs I've bred.

All out of courtesy to other people playing. Other than that, killing to make lineages, neglected experiments, zombies, vampires, freezing, anything goes. It's just a game after all. smile.gif

More important I think is ethics for actual interaction with people. Holding up my end of trades and IOUs for example, replying to all trade offers, that kind of thing.

IOUs are a big thing for me. I always repay an IOU, no matter how long it takes. If you're first on my list, the next egg from that particular dragon will go to you. If a dragon has a list, I will not keep, trade, or gift the offspring untill there is no list anymore.

To those of you on one of my lists, lately my tinsels are being picky and my silver is on strike >>

I don't care for inbred dragons. I have several on my scroll that I acquired before I knew how to check for them. I'm saving them for Halloween Zombie attempts (I read somewhere that they take up your kill slots, and I'd like to have 5 Zombies, so I'd never be able to kill anything else). I'll admit, if I pick up an egg from the AP and it's inbred, I will send it back. I don't accept inbreds as gifts or offer them either. I understand the benefits of selective inbreeding with real animals, but let's face it, there's no benefit to inbreeding dragons.

I only have one scroll. I don't try to take advantage of newbies when it comes to trading, and I always give back what I promise. I don't purposefully send common eggs to the AP. I don't breed commons that I don't need, any that were sent to the AP were auto-abandoned (I try to be careful and keep up with my egg count). I do hoard cheese dragons (because they're AWESOME and I love cheese...) but I've gifted paper dragons because I have all that I want. Once I acquire more rares, I plan on gifting to those that don't have any.

Basically, I play the way I want to play, and try to avoid anything that causes drama. This is supposed to be for fun.

I've really been enjoying reading the replies to this thread--such a wide range of opinions on pretty much every aspect of the game!

-I don't inbreed my own dragons because that would be too easy. One pair of CBs would = infinite amount of even PBs. o3o It just adds challenge, 's all. Inbreeding is okay with messy dragons, I don't even check.

-I do have messy-lineaged dragons that I breed with other messy-lineaged dragons. I'll pick up a messy 4th gen if I know I have a messy 4th gen that needs a mate.

-All dragons have a mate. The only ones that don't are the extra pairs of CBs I grab. Dragons can be bred to other things beside their mate, though.

-I won't breed a messy-lineaged dragon with a CB. (Because the lineage will still be messy and I could be using the CB to make prettier things.)

-I will breed with the specific intent to drop. Even if they're common or messy. Mostly they're neat lineages, though.

-I will freeze any hatchling, unless it was a gift where I was specifically asked not to freeze.

-I'll name them whatever I please. I don't follow parent names (unless asked to), I usually name Thuweds "Thuwed" but I stopped naming Dorkfaces "Dorkface" a long time ago.

-I don't usually offer IOUs but when I do... I hold up my end of the trade (though, most people do). I also reply to every offer.

-Killing/biting/etc. is fine. I won't kill a gift, though. (Specifically tinsels, to clean up lineages.)

-Ridgewings are god.

>.> I think that's everything. Those are just collective thoughts, though. They aren't really rules that I abide by wholeheartedly.

Killing: No killing unless I need to get a certain breed of dragon.

Breeding: Very loose on this one. At least every rare, including holidays, must have a suitable mate. (Suitable as in fits the lineage)

IOUs/Trades: Reply to every offer and fulfill every request no matter how long it takes. IOUs are always top priority.

Naming: At least name most of it after its parents!

Freezing: Never freeze unless I cannot save its life. (1 day left and I don't have enough time to ER it or something) I'd probably abandon it instead though since I haven't done this in almost three years.

AP: When AP trading was still here, I never posted in LiT; finders keepers. Though I never managed to get a rare. I would have posted in LiT if it was a rare. Also, abandon things that people want.

Hoarding: I hoard commons. But do not hoard rares until I have one of every available species of dragon, including Neglected, 2 Guardian of Natures, Zombies, Dinos, and possibly Hollies.

I don't bite, earthquake, kill (unless it's a slated adult/hatchy e.g. Halloween). It is a complete waste of precious time.

I complete all my IOUs.

I try not to freeze holidays, unless something like the Leetle tree punches me in the face and I've no other choice.

I try to preserve generations/continue lineages.

I only freeze stage 2 hatchlings because of the DC hatchling description Once a hatchling's wings grow in, it marks the beginning of maturation. At this point they are usually left alone by their mother and begin to hunt and survive on their own.

I think it's mean to freeze a stage 1 hatchling that couldn't survive on its own and will never be able to fly.

Plus I never killed a dragon exept using bite BSA. I would feel bad about it.

Inbreeding: I try not to inbreed mostly because I like to trade / gift my dragons and many other people doen't like inbreeding. I'm not so against inbreeding myself, and for example I find anything wrong with mating two dragons who share a grand grand grand parent. It is a normal thing also for real human people.

Bite: I have nothing against biting if it is done to create vampires. I don't like it on he contrary if it is used to kill an egg to prevent its lineage to continue.

Kill: I kill dragons at Halloween to try get a zombie. Never do that in other periods of the year. Have one strict rule about this: I only kill CB dragons. I don't want my killed dragons to be the child of someone, even if they are just pixels.

ND: I sometimes try to get a neglected dragon. I have again the rule to only try with CB dragons.

Freezing: No problems with it at all. Only I prefer to freeze long lineage dragons because I find it a waste to freeze CB or nice lineage ones

Mates: A couple of my dragons have a fixed mate and I never break these pairs. Most don't have and I don't have problems to mix anche change pairs.

Inbreeding: I kept all of the inbred dragons I had when it became easy to tell if they were inbred, but the only ones I've gotten since were metallics. When I pick up inbred eggs they often end up frozen. Inbreeding is normal in the real world, but it's undesirable here, so I do not breed my inbred common adults.

Freezing: Originally I was anti-freezing - it seemed cruel to the hatchling to trap it in a prepubescent body, like Claudia in Interview with the Vampire. When inbreeding and lineages became an issue, my perspective changed - the first hatchlings I froze were inbred hatchlings that I was raising when the lineages became view-able. Freezing an inbred hatchling was okay to me because it prevented them from becoming a lonely, frustrated adult. I also freeze non-inbred hatchlings now, and don't feel too bad about it - frozen hatchlings don't have any duties other than staying out of danger and get to play all day, after all.

Killing: I felt horribly guilty killing the hatchling I zombified last year, but I'm still going to be trying for some more this year. I wouldn't do it for non-Zombie reasons.

Breeding/Mates: I have very few dragons with set mates, but I don't mess with those pairs once they're set.

Earthquake: Never used it - I've never had eggs I didn't care about, so the risk is too high to me.

Naming: Everything that thinks should have a name.

Bite: I don't often try biting. If the dead eggs didn't take up a slot I would, but I have all of the vampires I planned on having now, so it's not worth the risk to me anymore.

Neglect: I haven't really tried it yet but I assume the day will come where I have most of what I need and I will feel that I can afford to use up egg slots on things with a good chance of dying.

I suppose when it comes to the way scroll owners play this game, it always ends up to what the owner believe is acceptable to him/her. I recently broke one of my 'code' of not abandoning an egg. I abandoned a CB Water and I spent the next 3 hours mulling sadly after I did although that nagging feeling soon left afterwards. I was happy to discover that someone had given it a loving home all the way to adulthood and it was named to boot. It offered me some consolation. I don't abandon eggs anymore after that. xd.png

Now that I've had time for breeding, I found that I tend to stick with set mates. I don't breed Inbreds, but I don't freeze them.

Edited by Vocalia

When I just started playing I treated my dragons as i would treat real pets, meaning I wouldn't kill or do anything that put them at risk of being killed, I wouldn't freeze, and I wouldn't inbreed.

But as time went by I thought of the dragons much less in terms of real life and I started using more of the possible options without qualms. So I guess you can say I play without 'morals' now.

Now most of the collecting is done (I still have some hard-to-get dragons on my wishlist, but besides that I've pretty much gotten everything I want), the thing that I have most fun with is breeding specific lineages. Which means I don't breed indiscriminately, I choose breeding partners carefully. So far I have been careful to avoid inbreeding because of that, but it's not for a moral or ethical reason, just because I like lineages that show that everyone involved took care in creating them. But a special lineage that does include inbreeding in an obviously intentional way is not inferior to me. I've got a few ideas for that in my head but just haven't gotten around to making them.

I also only breed with a purpose in my mind: every egg I bred was meant to be kept by me, to fulfill a request or because I hoped to trade it. If I didn't get a good trade for it, it grew up on my scroll most of the time. I never breed just to dump to the AP, just because I don't want to add to blocking the cave. I guess you could say that is a 'game-ethic'. But I won't say I never did dump something, because I have when I needed to make room for something unexpected (new release, unexpected gift offer, ...). I'm not against abandoning in itself, just against breeding just to dump.

I think of them as pets. Things I won't do: inbreed, knowingly have paired dragons breed with a different dragon, have eggs bitten(not that I have a vampire. laugh.gif), kill them, use earthquake, or neglect them. That's all I can think of for now. :3 I might freeze if a hatchling is very close to death, but otherwise I probably won't. I'll eventually name all of my dragons, but I'm still thinking of names for some of them. If I adopt an egg/hatchling that was supposed to be part of a trade, I'll give it back.

I loooooove collecting. So while I don't view or treat them as "living", I do treasure the dragons on my scroll as a precious collection, and I do have quite a few that I consider to be "collector's items" (2nd gens from holiday Spriter's Alts, for example).

I plan eventually to have one CB adult male and one CB adult female of every breedable dragon available in the Cave, as well as one 2nd gen purebred frozen male, female and s1 hatchie (creating little families happy.gif). I already have an adult, s2 hatchie, and s1 hatchie of every unbreedable.

I do kill my dragons, but only for the purpose of collecting one of each gender and stage of Vampire, Zombie, and ND, or for lineage purposes. After I've finished my own collection, I will only kill by doing ND experiments for trades, and maybe by making a couple Zombies each year for lineage purposes.

As a collector, I'm REALLY picky about what goes on my scroll. I don't take anything inbred at all. I also don't take messy lineages, though I have a few that were gifts and I keep them for sentiment's sake. I only make NDs, Zombies and Vamps out of CB eggs. And nowadays I only accept CBs and pretty low-gens as trades.

Yeah, I'm a snob xd.png

Edited by jerusha

-No purposeful killing unless it's for Zombies.

-Vamping is okay, but if there are 10 eggshells then stop until some go away.

-Try not to purposely inbreed unless it's for a project, but if it's accidental then it's fine.

-IOUs take top priority over other breeding, but if the person does not respond by the time the egg hatches they no longer have a say in it.

-Neglecteds are okay, but same rule as with Vamps. No experimenting when there are 10 eggshells on my scroll.

-Fixed mates will never ever ever change pairings unless they refuse.

-Earthquake is okay as long as, once again, there are less than 10 eggshells on my scroll.

-If an egg auto-abandons accidentally, then complaining is okay but the egg is gone. No stalking and possibly PMing the person to get it back, unless it was an IOU.

-Freezing is not okay, the only exceptions being the two Silvers at the top of my scroll and Leetle trees.

-Anything found in the AP is the owner's property and stalkers have no right to bother them to ask for it back.

-Every dragon must be named within a week of growing up unless for some reason I can't. I try to keep the naming line intact.

-Breeding lines must be kept intact unless it needs something like a CB metal to keep the line going, in which case the best match must be found.

That's all I can think of at the moment~

I never kill the dragons, ever.

I haven't inbred yet, but truthfully I just choose the parents based on what dragons haven't bred recently, so I really don't care.

This is a weird one, but I only ever abandon eggs if they aren't that common, because I want them to get picked and survive.

I plan eventually to have one CB adult male and one CB adult female of every breedable dragon available in the Cave, as well as one 2nd gen purebred frozen male, female and s1 hatchie (creating little families happy.gif).

That's so adorable. <3 Do you only freeze 2nd gen hatchies from the adults on your scroll?

-I don't do inbreeding

-I don't kill inbreds but I abandon them because others will want them and don't care about their status as inbred. If they're adults, I'll release them into the wild.

-I don't kill. I might be willing to for a zombie, but I'm not certain about that. The only real exception is for vampires.

-I reply to all trade offers

-

That's so adorable. <3 Do you only freeze 2nd gen hatchies from the adults on your scroll?

Yep biggrin.gif Though the only families I've gotten around to actually doing this with have been Hellfire, Sunsong and Vine. I've been too locked with breeding projects and Halloween prep tongue.gif I'm glad you like the idea, Saloiq!

Edited by jerusha