Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

I feel your pain, Cinna.

I've been trying to take blocker eggs lately to get them out of the way for other people, and also to hopefully refresh and find something that I'd prefer to have. I'm not really looking for rares, as I know I won't get them, but I'm currently trying to catch CB Royal Blues, and it's just not happening. I don't really mind if someone else catches a rare because of that, as that's just how things work due to the current system.

The most frustrating thing about it, in my opinion, is that you really don't get any upsides with the way things are set up now. If there aren't many people viewing the page, you have a higher chance of grabbing a rare that shows up, but the eggs rarely move at all. If there are lots of people, the eggs move more quickly, but you have a large amount of competition - not to mention the slower the page load, which further decreases your chance of getting what you're trying for, especially if your internet's not the greatest.

I understand why you can't abandon eggs right away. I do think, though, that a nice and helpful change would be to allow people to immediately trade eggs away that you've just caught from the biomes, with the recipient still held accountable for the five hour wait - which, if they wanted the egg to begin with, they wouldn't care about. It would allow community systems where if one person gets an egg they don't want but someone else is looking for, they could quickly swap (or the one who picked it up could gift it) and the hunter could happily continue on their way.

Which is bad for whomever took the blocker, because there's no way for them to even see the next egg shown, meaning their good deed is punished with a 5 hr wait and someone selfish like me, gets to take advantage and grab the good egg that appeared when they made their sacrifice.

This isn't true; if you right click and open in a new tab, the blocker will go off in another page while you're free to refresh the original one. I usually do this at night in slow-moving biomes, seeing if I can dig up anything shiny.

Regardless, I do support ways to keep the cave moving. Maybe kick eggs that sit too long into the AP, and drop a day (or a few days) off of them as well?

I understand why you can't abandon eggs right away. I do think, though, that a nice and helpful change would be to allow people to immediately trade eggs away that you've just caught from the biomes, with the recipient still held accountable for the five hour wait - which, if they wanted the egg to begin with, they wouldn't care about. It would allow community systems where if one person gets an egg they don't want but someone else is looking for, they could quickly swap (or the one who picked it up could gift it) and the hunter could happily continue on their way.

The issue with this is people can gather masses of eggs and ship them off in exchange for IOUs. I know several reliable IOU traders; if there's no wait limit before I can trade, then what's to stop me from grabbing up dozens upon dozens of Halloween eggs, shipping them off to the highest IOU bidder, and then grabbing a final batch for myself? ...Other then a moral code, but you get what I mean, haha.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The "cave blockers" are generally the eggs that are so common and easy to find that older players already have all they want of them. Newer players are often waiting til they get less common eggs before they get a lot of them. This leaves most players competing for less common or rare eggs. The only way I see to fix this is to make all eggs in equal numbers. Then we would all have better chance to get the eggs we want. But this "fix" might well break the game.

As long as there are "ratios" or differing amounts of different dragons, the most common will be least sought after, and the less common will be more wanted. I simply don't see a way to fix things so that we can get the eggs we want without so changing the way the game is presently set up that we break it.

This isn't true; if you right click and open in a new tab, the blocker will go off in another page while you're free to refresh the original one. I usually do this at night in slow-moving biomes, seeing if I can dig up anything shiny.

Regardless, I do support ways to keep the cave moving. Maybe kick eggs that sit too long into the AP, and drop a day (or a few days) off of them as well?

The issue with this is people can gather masses of eggs and ship them off in exchange for IOUs. I know several reliable IOU traders; if there's no wait limit before I can trade, then what's to stop me from grabbing up dozens upon dozens of Halloween eggs, shipping them off to the highest IOU bidder, and then grabbing a final batch for myself? ...Other then a moral code, but you get what I mean, haha.

Perhaps regulate it for holiday eggs, or maybe make it so they still have a wait time? A lot of stuff regarding holidays is already regulated, barring Halloween eggs. Plus, there's still the wait time for the other person to accept the egg.

The "cave blockers" are generally the eggs that are so common and easy to find that older players already have all they want of them. Newer players are often waiting til they get less common eggs before they get a lot of them. This leaves most players competing for less common or rare eggs. The only way I see to fix this is to make all eggs in equal numbers. Then we would all have better chance to get the eggs we want. But this "fix" might well break the game.

As long as there are "ratios" or differing amounts of different dragons, the most common will be least sought after, and the less common will be more wanted. I simply don't see a way to fix things so that we can get the eggs we want without so changing the way the game is presently set up that we break it.

The way I see it, so long as rares make up a small percentage of the pool, uncommons a slightly larger percentage, and commons the largest percentage, it doesn't matter what the individual ratios within that group are. I wouldn't care if there were fewer Guardians than Golds, so long as if I ever wanted a Guardian I could pop into the Volcano biome and get one easily.

If dragons are in low demand, the cave can get away with making fewer of them because there will be less competition over them. If a dragon is in high demand, but it's supposed to be common, the cave should make more of it so that it's still easy to get. If it's supposed to be rare, though, the cave is perfectly fine making very few of them, because high competition over shinies is part of the game.

High competition over commons is, in my mind, a flaw in the game. Even worse is the cripplingly low competition over other commons. Adjusting things like that, while leaving rares and uncommons alone, wouldn't break the game.

The way I see it, so long as rares make up a small percentage of the pool, uncommons a slightly larger percentage, and commons the largest percentage, it doesn't matter what the individual ratios within that group are. I wouldn't care if there were fewer Guardians than Golds, so long as if I ever wanted a Guardian I could pop into the Volcano biome and get one easily.

If dragons are in low demand, the cave can get away with making fewer of them because there will be less competition over them. If a dragon is in high demand, but it's supposed to be common, the cave should make more of it so that it's still easy to get. If it's supposed to be rare, though, the cave is perfectly fine making very few of them, because high competition over shinies is part of the game.

High competition over commons is, in my mind, a flaw in the game. Even worse is the cripplingly low competition over other commons. Adjusting things like that, while leaving rares and uncommons alone, wouldn't break the game.

I hope guardians aren't quite that unpopular. T.T

I agree that, for commons at least, the cave should adjust the ratios based on how quickly they're taken, IE how popular or unpopular they are.

My, my, this was pretty far down in the forum.

I don't use descriptions. I see no reason to make them, and go through any of the hassle involved with them, for something only I'm going to see anyway. So after exactly one described dragon, I don't have anything to do with the process.

However, I do rather like that I have a tiny notepad attached to a particular dragon, even if I very,very,very rarely have need to use it.

Today was one of those days I needed my little notepad.

I'm working on a lineage and suddenly had a large group of refusals in the 2gen. Now all those dragons were named, but now I had to reshuffle my pairs and their names. This is where my little dragon-specific notepads came into play. Considering their names were in translated Latin and converted Japanese, which I spent some considerable time working on, I thought it'd be safe sticking their names in their description areas while I quickly did damage control via renaming to identify who was a compatible pair and who would totally make retarded inbred babies if I let them.

Imagine my surprise to find my notepads empty. Several hours of dictionary, thesaurus, theme and translator work right down the drain. Thanks, so very, very much for that.

Seriously, you don't have to approve stuff in those ridiculous description fields, but don't DELETE IT! Especially if you don't know what it is, and it hasn't broken any of those rather arbitrary and limiting guidelines. It's obviously not a description in a foreign language, and says right on it that it's holding a name.

My, my, this was pretty far down in the forum.

I don't use descriptions. I see no reason to make them, and go through any of the hassle involved with them, for something only I'm going to see anyway. So after exactly one described dragon, I don't have anything to do with the process.

However, I do rather like that I have a tiny notepad attached to a particular dragon, even if I very,very,very rarely have need to use it.

Today was one of those days I needed my little notepad.

I'm working on a lineage and suddenly had a large group of refusals in the 2gen. Now all those dragons were named, but now I had to reshuffle my pairs and their names. This is where my little dragon-specific notepads came into play. Considering their names were in translated Latin and converted Japanese, which I spent some considerable time working on, I thought it'd be safe sticking their names in their description areas while I quickly did damage control via renaming to identify who was a compatible pair and who would totally make retarded inbred babies if I let them.

Imagine my surprise to find my notepads empty. Several hours of dictionary, thesaurus, theme and translator work right down the drain. Thanks, so very, very much for that.

Seriously, you don't have to approve stuff in those ridiculous description fields, but don't DELETE IT! Especially if you don't know what it is, and it hasn't broken any of those rather arbitrary and limiting guidelines. It's obviously not a description in a foreign language, and says right on it that it's holding a name.

Well, it was intended as a description field. Even making it into two sentences that sounded like a description would have (most likely) made it not be deleted.

I am not sure if it has been already been mentioned, but I have a tiny request for the page.

On the fertility page, it would be incredible useful if there would be an option to sort by gender or to display the gender symbol next to the dragon names.

It would just be awesome and make fertilizing so much easier.

Apart from that I am happy with the page.

Amut un Rama- I think you might like the suggestions floating around for a scroll notebook/notepad/etc. Unfortunately, the "description" field *is* for descriptions, and descriptions only. There are very specific rules, and people who spend a lot of time approving, giving feedback, etc. It's not exactly fair to ask them to leave yours alone when you are not using it in line with the rules.

Then it still falls within the rules, given that the names were descriptive in and of themselves. Why type "dragon-beaked stormbringer" when "Draccobeccus procellator" means the same thing, and oh, is also a name, considering she's named after her parents.

And we're not talking about Approving them. Just not Deleting them if they aren't approvable. I don't care if it's approved or not, I'm not asking for it to be approved. But there's no call to go around deleting things.

I certainly don't see that caveat written about descriptions in their area: "Hey, all that work you did making this? It's short/ we don't read Latin in these here parts/disprove of your oxford commas/want you to use whatever, so yeah, we're gonna delete this because. Enjoy the description process."

So go about your description approving business as usual, but don't ago around deleting stuff because you "don't approve". Just.... don't approve it?

Mods shouldn't have the ability to remove descriptions, to my knowledge. They can only reject them, which should still keep it around for you to view and edit.

By converted Japanese, do you mean romanized? Because if it contained actual Japanese characters, the description would never have been saved in the first place.

That's actually really odd, because I've had descriptions rejected before, but they've never been wiped. Try PMing the mods who handle descriptions the most (there's a list in the description questions section) and ask that they not do so again?

Your description didn't really work as a description (it was only two words, after all, which isn't really doing anything to describe the creature that the breed description doesn't do, and it WAS in a foreign language), so it didn't really fall within the rules, but again that's kind of aside the point in this case.

In future, try using excel or word to keep track of such things? I'm working on a breeding project where I had to switch around a few names due to refusals myself, and using excel and word made it pretty easy to keep track of.

Edit: TJ, I know mods can change descriptions (I've had mine tweaked a bit before by mods), maybe they just erased the whole thing as their change?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Then it's all the stranger then that the name's disappeared. But it's good to know that it was probably just a weird glitchy thing and likely won't repeat. Consider the feathers smoothed.

Not that I remember what I named him yet or anything.

By converted, yes, I mean romanized. There's just a lot of subtle ways to say... "purple", for example, depending on what you're going for. So if you're going for a thematic element, you have a wide range of things to go through to get the feel you're looking for. I managed to find a lot of ways to play with "tri" and "horn" for example.

Edited by Amut un Rama

If we are no longer to be allowed to turn off javascript in the cave - can we please lose the paypal link on hunting pages ? It seems to freeze my browser for several seconds while it loads - and I cannot believe anyone in a biome hunting will be clicking on it to DONATE NOW... - far too busy clicking EGGS xd.png

It's on all the dragon pages, and that is the place one is FAR more likely to click on it.

Yes, please. The paypal/donate button should only be on static pages, not huntable pages... i.e. biomes or AP.

Yes, please. The paypal/donate button should only be on static pages, not huntable pages... i.e. biomes or AP.

If you're that desperate to remove it, then just block it.

If you're that desperate to remove it, then just block it.

How do you block JUST that ?

But I would rather it DID show on appropriate pages. Donations are good - but not when asking for them adversely affects game play,

Edited by fuzzbucket

How do you block JUST that ?

But I would rather it DID show on appropriate pages. Donations are good - but not when asking for them adversely affects game play,

right click on the button-- view image info

mine has a check box "Block Images from paypal"

if you do, remember that it blocks it everywhere-- i did it once-- pain in the rear until figured out how to unblock rolleyes.gif

can googleanalytics be blocked with out No-script?

Edited by dragonpuck

can googleanalytics be blocked with out No-script?

Yes. xd.png

And I use paypal all over the place - so blocking it everywhere would really annoy me !

This is a minor thing. Regarding the AP.

First I want to state that I love the way it's working now, there's good variety, I've found myself fully egg/hatchling locked a few times, I've picked up a lot of dragons (blockers mostly) that I wouldn't otherwise touch because I can run them into the hatchling stage quickly and free my slots again. I really like it and hope it keeps lots of low-time eggs.

But there is that little issue of not being able to pick up eggs you drop until someone else picks them up and drops them again.

Recently I was hunting for CB flamingos, and there are plenty to be had, but occasionally I ran across a lineaged one. Since I was working on a lineage, I had no use for them, but every so often I would have a change of heart (it would only block the spot/lock me for 2 hours and so on) and want to take it. But given that it was a blocker and no one else wanted it, I couldn't pick it up because it hadn't been picked up by anyone else and then put back. More than once I've found myself surrounded by eggs I couldn't pick up after changing my mind about wanting them, either because I realized/decided I could make a mate after all, or had to leave the computer and wanted to use the scroll space for something the productive while I was gone since the eggs I did want weren't available.

I don't even know if that level of coding is possible, but could the AP be tweaked so that the originating scroll is the only one locked from picking up it's own dropped egg until it's picked up and dropped again? I don't see how it would harm things to allow that (aside from possibly being a tiny bit inconvenient for people who don't pause to check a code in their status bar before clicking to not click on the same egg).

How about when a new dragon is released that its egg can actually BE FOUND IN THE BIOMES ONCE THE NEW RELEASE IS OVER? I realize this is a radical concept. Just sayin'.

How about when a new dragon is released that its egg can actually BE FOUND IN THE BIOMES ONCE THE NEW RELEASE IS OVER? I realize this is a radical concept. Just sayin'.

LOL. That's the best suggestion I've heard. *checkles*

^_~

On the dragon's page the children field has become justified. As a result some of the names look horribly stretched and - well - weird - especially when there are two words . Can this be put back to unjustified, please ?

I did see one black capped egg in there but otherwise yeah :v hard time finding any of those 7 day released eggs in the cave