Fortune86

The Power Inside

Imari went to stand with the rest of the others looking at the boy. “I sure hope he is ok.” she thought to herself. She knew she didn’t do much in the battle but she was glad that she could take at least part in it.

Watching how Ceil moved toward the boy and helping him up, he said that they should think about the fight and where did things go wrong. Imari had no idea but maybe it was because everyone, including herself, was a bit overwhelmed by the first practice and that the Vespids got the better of them.

She continued to think and looked at the others to see if they had any suggestions on what went wrong while Ceil was helping the boy to see Rosa most probably.

Now that everyone was back on the ground Gwen slipped off Seiryu herself and dismissed him. She hated doing that, but Seiryu was a little too large to be kept active when not needed.

She looked up at the large Fiend Ceil had left to watch over them. The dragon like creature was nearly as scary as its summoner.

Turning back to the other students she walked over to Imari.

"Something wasn't quite right about that fight, but I can't put my finger on it."

Wes jumped off Seiryu, took off his hat and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Sooooooo...what went wrong in that fight?" he asked everyone, putting his hat back on. He was slightly tired from fighting with Torn, but not nearly as bad as Archer or some other people. "What do you think, Torn?" he asked her as she landed next to him. Talking to him through mental messages, he began to announce what she was saying to him. "She said that we were too...uhh...unorganised at the start. Everyone was using what they could at the same time. And after that, we relied on one person to take them all down. Anything else?" Torn shook her head. "Anyone?"

Selene jumped down from Seiryu once she was close enough to the ground. She landed gracefully, with her long hair flowing down beside her. She shook her head and readjusted her hair, taking out her comb and combing through her long locks. She noticed the Ice summoner lying on the ground, exhausted from the massive attack. She also noticed the nonchalance of the teacher, who just calmly watched as the students battled for their lives. Selene put her comb back into her pocket and went back meld into the crowd of students.

Haruhi walked over to Imari.

"Any idea what went wrong?"

Haruhi didnt sound like herself, the happy and excited girl she usually was. Her voice sounded like a deadman's, no emotion.

She didnt care if anyone noticed.

Selphie slowly climbed off of Imari's fiend and heard the discussion, Nephrim flitting close by her. She heard the discussion about what went wrong during the battle.

"What Torn said." "And...it seems we may have underestimated these Vespids' capabilities. He did say they were intelliegent...Possibly Ciel put the box of monsters there, and the monsters knew about it, and we didn't notice it. It definitely went out of hand then." Selphie shot a glance at Haruhi, noticing her voice seemed dull.

Nephrim landed delicately on his Summoner's head. That angel has good ideas. But I could take them all on!

No, Nephrim. You and I would be killed.

Ah, just kidding. It would do well to cheer up. The fiend watched the other Summoners.

Haruhi looked up and saw Selphie and forced a smile.

"I'll be right back." She said to Imari and walked over to Selphie

"Hi again." Haruhi said to her

"Haruhi...You seem a bit, er, down today." Nephrim looked up and saw this as an opportunity to show off. He made a comical sight on Selphie's head, strutting around with his head in the air, batting his eyelids, among other things.

Don't I look pretty? Tee Hee! Selphie looked up and saw her Fiend showing off. She blushed. "Ummm..."

"I just feel like I let everyone down... Everything happened too fast and I didn't have time to react. I didn't kill one vespid or whatever they are called..." Haruhi sighed and looked down at her feet.

It doesn't help if I cant help others... She thought to herself

When Merric came out of the doctor's cabinet, his shoulders were as good as new, without any trace of Hawke ever digging his talons in too deep. Ah, the many advantages of knowing a Light Summoner... He thought as he went to a quiet square in town where he called Hawke once again, who picked him up again for their third flight that day. Merric made sure his Fiend would be more careful now, he didn't want his metallic talons digging into his shoulders again.

This time though, his destination would be closer: the Summoner's School in Niefir. Been a while since I last was there... I wonder how this Ceil might be who replaced ol' Ephron.

((I hope you don't mind I named the previous teacher, Fortune, as Ceil's history doesn't mention a name.))

Edited by timpieh

Imari listened to what Wes had said and she found some of it true, but then again one can’t compare everyone’s knowledge about combat and their experiences in it.

Imari could have done more she knows this but she shook her head and saw Haruhi standing by her. She notice that she was a bit down and before Imari could speak Haruhi she said she would be right back, Imari only looked at her walking to Selphie.

Waiting patiently for Ceil to return Imari continued to listen to everyone.

((That's okay Tim smile.gif

Just to warn you though, Ceil won't be too friendly towards Merric once he knows who he is working for.))

It didn't see as if Imari had noticed Gwen approach her or heard what she had said, but Gwen didn't mind. There was something that was trying to get her attention, something important. It took several moments for the realisation to form.

"They didn't use any magic" she said half to herself. "None at all. It was all physical attacks...."

Gwen glared up at Seth's giant form. What element was he? She couldn't remember if Ceil had said. If Gwen's suspicions were correct, then Seth would have to be darkness aligned.

Imari heard Gwen’s voice saying something about no magical attacks and then she turned towards the approaching Gwen, while replaying in her mind what had happened during the battle.

“Your right Gwen,” spoke Imari to her a bit confused before she continued with a question “but why no magic attacks? Could it be because of there element or not?”

"I haven't fought many Vesids before" admitted Gwen looking back at Imari. "But I've never known a monster not to use magic in battle against a Fiend if it can. After all, magic would do more damage against most other elements. As far as I know, the only time they resort to attacking physically is against Fiends of the same element."

Gwen glanced back up at Seth. His green eyes were focused on her and Imari now. She wondered if the two of them had hit on something.

"I think..." she said slowly as she watched the giant face above her. "That Seth was manipulating the Vespids. I think Ceil had him prevent them from using magic. He was in control all along. That's why they didn't attack him, even though he was standing right there in their midst."

Slightly a bit shocked on what Gwen is saying about Seth controlling the Vespids but in the end it did make sense. “Do you think that we might have under estimated his powers and ability just a little bit? I mean just think of controlling one and then think about controlling a lot. I for one don’t want to get on his bad side.” said Imari to Gwen while looking at Seth. A shiver ran down Imari’s spine while she saw Seth looking at them.

“So if no magic was used by them, should we have used magic?” asked Imari to Gwen.

"I don't know" said Gwen, feeling slightly wrong footed.

The easiest way to defeat monsters was by using magic. That's why they had Fiends. If they had only used physical attacks then they would have been here all day. Why had Ceil stopped the Vespids from going all out on them?

"I guess we'll have to ask him when he comes back" she added glancing over at the gate where Ceil had taken Archer.

Merric saw the familiar sight of the summoner's school getting closer as Hawke was carrying him there. He spotted some students in one of the training area's, the ground covered in Vespid corpses and ice and he decided they'd land there. Maybe one of the students would know where Noland was hanging out and else he had to rely on his memories of the school to find him or his office again.

Hawke carried him over the walls of the training area and dropped him off in the middle of it and landing next to Merric himself. He noticed a big Fiend sitting on the wall, observing the students and now him as well. He turned to one of the students and asked her if she knew where Noland was.

((So, who did Merric ask his question to? tongue.gif))

As soon as Archer got picked up and started being carried off, Frost followed close behind him. Archer looked up at Ceil. "Bloody hell, this wasn't my limit! I was tired as censorkip.gif, and the rest of the people just didn't want to get their hands dirty!" Archer told him and coughed some more blood. "I hate the feeling of blood in my mouth."

"Then spit it out" said Ceil as he half carried Archer down the corridor. "You can mop it up later."

As they reached the T section Ceil saw two teenagers in the corrior to the left. He did not recognise either of them from the tour.

Using the arm he had around Archer to knock on the infirmary door he glanced over at them.

"New students? You're both late. As you can see" he said indicating to Archer. "Your classmates could have done with your help."

Imari stood in silence with Gwen thinking on what they both said when suddenly she heard a flapping sound, a sound made by wings. She looked at Seth but he was still sitting where he kept an eye on everyone. Imari turned around and saw and hawk like creature carrying a man. He landed between the students as if nothing could bother him in the world.

He suddenly asked where Noland was, but Imari ignored the question and asked her own to him. “Who are you?”

Edited by DragonSpirit009

"New students? You're both late. As you can see" he said indicating to Archer. "Your classmates could have done with your help."

((Would that be Angelina and Kasem??

If daydreamer does not come back soon Angelina is going to have to leave Kasem behind. >_<))

((Yes Vang smile.gif

I think DD was the one after Rosa, I'll give them one more day to post a form and then open the slot up.))

Gwen's thoughts had been pulled away from Ceil, Seth and the Vespids when a large Fiend swooped down into the students. A man stepped away from the large bird and approached Imari, asking where Noland was.

Thinking back, Gwen remembered Ceil mentioning Noland when he showed them the kitchen and mess hall, but they had yet to meet the man. Before she could say anything Imari asked the man who he was. She stood siletnly by her friend's side and waited for a reply.

Seth watched the man and his Fiend very carefully. So far neither of them had done anything threatening, but the second they did....

((I'm gonna assume Spirit meant who and not how when asking Merric her question. tongue.gif))

Merric eyed the girl who asked him who he was and raised an eyebrow. She didn't seem that much younger than him, but it was clear she was a new student. Why would ya wait so long to go to the school anyway? He thought and replied: "Wouln't you like to know, eh? I'm 'ere to deliver Noland a message from our lord. So if ye don't know where he is, I'll be off to look for 'im myself."

((haha yes I always type that wrong and tend to forget to fix it. Thanks Tim))

Imari looked at the man and shook her head when he said "Wouln't you like to know, eh?”. There was something about this man that made Imari worry a bit. She got a feeling that he might be trouble but then again it might have been the excitement of the training that’s still pumping in her veins.

She couldn’t help the man out much because she didn’t know who Noland even was.

“Sorry I have no idea who or where this Noland is. It’s only our first day and we all don’t know much.” She spoke truthfully before looking at the others. “I don’t know if they know who or where he is but our teacher, Ceil, he might help. He went through that door to the infirmary.” she said again pointing towards the door behind them.

Kiyser looked backwards at the angry mob that formed behind the wagon. At least they're not trying to chase me. He turned back to the wagon driver.

"How long do you think it's going to take to get there?" he asked, hoping that it wouldn't be long. He did not want to stay around this place, it would be a very bad idea.

"I dunno. Maybe about three or so hours." the dirver replied.

"Three hours? Can you go any faster?" Kiyser started to become frantic.

"Uhh...I can go through the forest, but that's too dangerous. There have been reports of--"

"Go through it. I don't care." Kiyser said, cutting the man off. Reluctantly, the driver veered to the right and entered the dark forest. The whole place seemed uncomfortable and eerie. Feeling the discomfort, Kiyser flicked open his journal and began to write. He wrote about his...experience at Zurt and his frantic getaway. Eventually running out of things to write, he closed it and glanced at the driver.

"Do you know who I am?" Kiyser asked, a bragging smile crossing his face. No doubt this man knew who he was. Kiyser sold plenty of books across the whole land!

"I'm sorry, but no." Kiyser jerked upwards, annoyed.

"You mean you don't recognise me? Kiyser U'eriel! The famous author!"

"Hmm...nope." Kiyser sunk back down in his seat. He sighed.

"Nevermind, then." He looked to the side of the wagon and thought he caught a glimpse of something that moved.

"Hey...you said that there were reports of things here. What were they?" he looked back at the driver.

"Earth worms."

"Earth worms!?!" Kiyser almost herked back up again. "Those things are horrible! They...they eat people. Whole!"

"Yeah, I know, huh. You're the one who wanted to go this way." the driver was becomming annoyed as well.

"Yeah, but I didn't know that there would be--" a sudden roar cut him off. Kiyser, wide-eyes, looked at the driver, who was wide-eyed as well. Another roar came. The dirver ordered the horses pulling the wagon to speed up. This place suddenly seemed much more dangerous than Zurt. Hoping that they would be okay, Kiyser placed a hand on his chest, just in case he needed to summon his fiend. Looking back at the driver, Kiyser asked him, "Are you a summoner?" the driver looked back at him.

"Umm...no. If I was a summoner do you think I would be driving carts around?" the driver replied harshly. Kiyser swore under his breath. He scratched nervously at his chin, hoping that they would be okay. A third roar came. Oh god...oh god...oh god... Suddenly, a fourth roar came and the earth beneath the wagon began to move. Shouting out in horror, Kiyser clung to the driver. The wagon tipped to the side and rolled over, the horses making noises of terror as well. Kiyser was flung from his seat into the ground, where he lost his grip on the driver. Being flipped upside-down and tumbling head over heels, he lost all sense of direction. When he came to a stop, he groaned and looked back at the wagon to see a terrible sight. A giant earth worm, about twenty feet high slithered around the side of it. Kiyser, heart pounding, tried to stay perfectly still to not attract any attention. There was no sign of the driver--he must have been caught under the wagon as it tipped. He grimaced as the earth worm's head peeled back like a banana to reveal jagged rows of teeth and a large, gaping hole the size of a human staring him in the face.