Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think ascend should be available to any dragon and should be an action, pretty much like summon, an action that you can try once every 15 days. Of course ascend will not be available to all breeds at once because we need the new sprites to ascended dragons but I think it will be fine to implement slowly, at the pace that the sprites are getting made (this made sense? I'm not quite sure how to phrase it in english).

SORT of like you can choose to breed adults or... not. Perhaps it appears in the actions menu after a dragon reaches the proper age?
I think that was the general consensus, actually.

And regarding age, I think it was somewhere along the lines of 6 months or a year. I know I prefer a full year, but...

Edited by olympe

I think ascend should be available to any dragon and should be an action, pretty much like summon, an action that you can try once every 15 days. Of course ascend will not be available to all breeds at once because we need the new sprites to ascended dragons but I think it will be fine to implement slowly, at the pace that the sprites are getting made (this made sense? I'm not quite sure how to phrase it in english).

I think it does make sense.

Danicasts' saying something about the fifteen day cool down brings up a question or two on my mind.

First, I wonder about the fail rate for ascension. Can it fail, and IF it can what would the rate be? Too big a failure rate would be annoying. My preference, if we MUST have one, would, I think, be for a failure rate that decreases the older the dragon gets past the age where it can ascend... though I have NO idea how hard that would be to code, and IF it is too much work, it might not be worth it. SECOND... woudl the cooldown be scrollwide or per dragon?

# Olympe- Tis probably less work for the Bossman to code it , that way, too.

Edited by Silverswift

As far as I remember, a chance of failure was highly debated and mostly rejected, as it would be analogous to the GoN situation, which made many people anything but happy.

Instead, one proposed solution to "limits" was that you'd have Ascension slots, similar to freezing slots.

As far as I remember, a chance of failure was highly debated and mostly rejected, as it would be analogous to the GoN situation, which made many people anything but happy.

Instead, one proposed solution to "limits" was that you'd have Ascension slots, similar to freezing slots.

I truthfully haven't done much freezing yet, so I am not sure how that works.

Would you mind clarifying for me, so I'd have an idea how this would work?

You can freeze 10 times per 2 weeks so you would be able to ascend 10 dragons each 2 weeks. I like the idea.

You can freeze 10 times per 2 weeks so you would be able to ascend 10 dragons each 2 weeks. I like the idea.

Yes, that could work.

I was thinking it couldn't be a TOTAL limit, because I've seen some scrolls that have LOTS of frozen hatchies on them.

I'd agree that a similar mechanism could work well for Ascension as well.

It might take e a bit of persistence, but in time a user could ascend as many of their dragons as they liked, that way.

Here is a question i was pondering.

What about rares? Would they get ascended forms as well?

Or... because they are rares and it would make them even MoRE desireable...

Edited by Silverswift

What about rares? Would they get ascended forms as well?

Or... because they are rares and it would make them even MoRE desireable...

Oh I honestly hope so because the first dragons that I thought that I would like to ascend are my golds and silvers.

I think ascended dragons will be desired a lot in the beginning, just like new releases, but after a while, people will get used to them. I don't see as a big problem to have rares ascending because you don't need anything special to ascend a dragon, any dragon can ascend, so you already have everything you need, no hunting or trading is needed. Plus, you can not ascend a hatchie, only an adult dragon so ascended dragons can't be traded. What I imagine that people will do are special lines with ascended dragons and maybe this lines become special and expensive in the trade market but considering that any person can have an ascended dragon, probably not too much.

Oh I honestly hope so because the first dragons that I thought that I would like to ascend are my golds and silvers.

I think ascended dragons will be desired a lot in the beginning, just like new releases, but after a while, people will get used to them. I don't see as a big problem to have rares ascending because you don't need anything special to ascend a dragon, any dragon can ascend, so you already have everything you need, no hunting or trading is needed. Plus, you can not ascend a hatchie, only an adult dragon so ascended dragons can't be traded. What I imagine that people will do are special lines with ascended dragons and maybe this lines become special and expensive in the trade market but considering that any person can have an ascended dragon, probably not too much.

So anyone that already HAS one could ascend it. xd.png

AND people want golds and silvers anyhow.

That being said, I bet an ascended gold or silver would be LOVELY.

Whether there are ascended sprites depends very much on the spriters. I imagine anyone who doesn't want their creations to do the thing will be allowed to say no - and anyone who doesn't want to create a sprite won't be forced to.

I so don't care about this one - as long as NOTHING becomes automatic. I do worry a bit about lineages which have other people's dragons on - I don't what them spoiled by the sudden appearance of an ascended dragon in there, so I HOPE their appearances in lineages will stay "basic".

Whether there are ascended sprites depends very much on the spriters. I imagine anyone who doesn't want their creations to do the thing will be allowed to say no - and anyone who doesn't want to create a sprite won't be forced to.

I so don't care about this one - as long as NOTHING becomes automatic. I do worry a bit about lineages which have other people's dragons on - I don't what them spoiled by the sudden appearance of an ascended dragon in there, so I HOPE their appearances in lineages will stay "basic".

I see what you are saying.

And as regards the spriters, I am sure that that is true.

Perhaps it could even be an option in you account settings to KEEP it basic?

Edited by Silverswift

I loved this when it was first suggested all those years ago, and the idea of big whoopbutt ancient dragons is still awesome, but now I'm not so sure. We have so many dragons now--many of whose creators have left--that it would be all but impossible to make ascendeds for every breed. Maybe some people wouldn't care, but to me it'd feel very odd and empty, just like getting the "WOOO ENCYCLOPEDIA" update felt like getting a half deflated birthday balloon when we found out the majority of breeds didn't have any info for them.

I loved this when it was first suggested all those years ago, and the idea of big whoopbutt ancient dragons is still awesome, but now I'm not so sure. We have so many dragons now--many of whose creators have left--that it would be all but impossible to make ascendeds for every breed. Maybe some people wouldn't care, but to me it'd feel very odd and empty, just like getting the "WOOO ENCYCLOPEDIA" update felt like getting a half deflated birthday balloon when we found out the majority of breeds didn't have any info for them.

And *cough* BSA *cough*.

You have raised a good point though. The site's record of "the next big thing(s)" isn't stellar and this might fall victim to it if implemented.

There is some truth to that. Not to mention how much work this would mean for the artists. Creating an adult (up to 100 x 100 pixels) is much harder than creating a hatchling. How much work, then, must be put into an even larger ascended dragon sprite?

I'd still like to see ascended dragons if it's possible to make those available for all breeds, maybe with the exception of special breeds (holidays, GoNs, Avatars)

I'm with you here. Loved the idea when I first saw it, I can't even remember how many years ago. Now, when I see this post coming back up from time to time I ask myself, "are people still discussing this?". Whether it comest or not, I don't really care any longer.

I would still love this very much, even if it only works for some dragons where the spriters haven't disappeared.

My entire collecting habits are centred around this suggestion, actually. It's why I get two male and two female adults... I hope I can ascend one pair eventually. *cough* *sheepish look* *shuffles feet*

I'm still in favor of this idea. Even if we can't get ascended sprites for all dragons, it's easily explainable that Ascension isn't available for every breed.

IMO, whether or not a particular breed of dragon has an Ascended form should be the choice of the Spriter. Plus, a dragon described as being rather dumb or limited in intelligence should NOT have an Ascended form either. That would mean that not every new dragon released would have an Ascended form, which would keep new releases interesting as we discovered which dragons could have an Ascended form and which ones didn't.

I've always been a big fan of this idea and would love to see something like this implemented. Especially for the really common dragons that don't seem to be that popular. I think this would be a great way to make them more desirable. smile.gif

I agree with Cinnamin's points above. Personally, I'd prefer older breeds to get this perk and it to be something that new releases don't get until they've been in the cave for a while.

I've always been a big fan of this idea and would love to see something like this implemented. Especially for the really common dragons that don't seem to be that popular. I think this would be a great way to make them more desirable. smile.gif

I agree with Cinnamin's points above. Personally, I'd prefer older breeds to get this perk and it to be something that new releases don't get until they've been in the cave for a while.

I approve of this idea,actually.

This... actually might be a great way to keep it from being too overwhelming to roll out, too, now that I think of it. IF you started with the oldest dragons first, witht he idea that a dragon had to be in cave for a certain length of time before it was elligible to have Ascended forms added, it would nix the possibility of having to do ALLof them at once.

I must agree with your point. Furthermore, things changed quite a bit in the meantime, so, no offense but, for a new user like me, the suggestion sounds a bit... obsolete...

I must agree with your point. Furthermore, things changed quite a bit in the meantime, so, no offense but, for a new user like me,  the suggestion sounds a bit... obsolete...

Right there with you. When I think "ascension" I think of the lovely skywing sprite that existed and how much I wanted, and still want, to have them as part of my army. But thinking of it as just one sprite is clearly missing the point. It brings a lot of baggage with it too (spriter permission? lineage annoyances? eligibilities? BSA's? etc.) so there seems to be more than one way to make people much more unhappy than happy. After all, there were so so many less dragons when it was first implemented. I think we're all plenty occupied with the ones we have available now (xenowyrms anyone?).

I think I'd be happier at this point to expand the things we do have now (like moon mechanics, mana rules, and of course the encyclopedia) instead of adding something as big and unsure as ascension. Maybe we can save the idea in our collective back pockets though. At its simplest, distilled center, I do still really like the idea of the oldest and wisest dragons to have that "mega-evolution" look to them.

IF you started with the oldest dragons first, with the idea that a dragon had to be in cave for a certain length of time before it was eligible to have Ascended forms added, it would nix the possibility of having to do ALL of them at once.

I definitely think Ascension potential should be left up to the original Spriter/Creator. And starting with the Older species makes sense.

Even if we all wanted it 100%, after more than five years, I doubt it's gonna happen. There's just too much hassle with permission, not to mention the amount of work necessary to make this happen. (I know Kila, the spriter of the ascended skywing, mentioned somewhere off-forum that it took her a very long time to make that sprite - much longer than any other "regular" dragon sprite. Because this ascended sprite had to be amazing, breathtaking and nothing short of perfect to be eligible as an ascended.)

I was all for this idea when I first heard of it about a year ago, (more pretty sprites, yay!) but looking back now I see how really difficult and problematic Ascension would be to implement. Maybe if it was a feature of the site since the beginning, but not now with so many dragons.

I think it would work for the classic dragons. Blacks, water, magis, mints, dark greens, greens, purples, golds, silvers, fogs, stone, whites. But after so long it'll never get implemented, shame. I tried to save every ascended sprite I could find but I'm still missing mints and blacks which I hear got a sprite.