Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

The glass things get me excited. I'm actually a glassblowing student, and these strike me as a good way to practice. I definitely see some experimentation upcoming...

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to keep track of your stitches? I'm still working on that ripple star crochet bedspread (YARN EATING MONSTER!), and I'm adding points about halfway out, but I keep losing track of my stitch numbers. It's really creating problems, I'm afraid I'm going to have to unravel the last month of work...

Definitely experiment! And post about it! *still excited*

Stitch markers, maybe? Definitely more often than halfway out. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to keep track of your stitches? I'm still working on that ripple star crochet bedspread (YARN EATING MONSTER!), and I'm adding points about halfway out, but I keep losing track of my stitch numbers. It's really creating problems, I'm afraid I'm going to have to unravel the last month of work...

lock ring stitch markers is probably what you need.. the kind where you can put in and remove easily later. Clover makes a really good one (comes in small packs of two colors: orange and teal). .. or you can use safety pins in a similar fashion..but they can sometimes have edges that can catch/snag on the yarn.

For stitch marking my Mom and I used to make small loops of left over yarns

and slide them onto your work. They can be cut and thrown away when

no longer needed. They are soft and flexible and don't enlarge the space

they are in like some markers will.

Oh, my goodness, thanks for posting the link for those glass blown hooks!

I have writing pens that are Italian glasswork of a very similar nature,

and antique lace making bobbins, but those crochet hooks are nice!

Wooden are nice, and feel so much nicer than the metal when working

on a cold day....

Just discovered this thread today ....very nice!

Here is a link also to a source of antique needlework instruction books

reproductions:

http://stores.ebay.com/Iva-Rose-Vintage-Reproductions

Edited by grammydragon

Hey guys, long time no stop in. Glad to see you guys have been active without me. I'm admiring everyone's work.

I've been doing a lot of knitting, and not much crocheting. Sacrilege, I know.

Those glass crochet hooks are gorgeous but waaaay to expensive for my meager yarn allowance.

Though, I do keep buying silk. Silk has to be my new addiction. I now have, hmm, somewhere around 8 full skeins, (all different colors) and 2 partial skeins, from my silk top.

Edited by Kanaye

I was going to put up a WIP photo of the cowl that I am working on, but my camera isn't cooperating with me dry.gif Perhaps when I am finished with it. It's made of Bernat Alpaca *squish*

All your work here is lovely. smile.gif

My mom when she was in alcohol therapy, learned how to knit. She made me hats, scarfs, mittens, and even purses haha. I have always said I would try it some day, but I still have all of this yarn hanging around unused.

I should have mentioned this in my last post, I do not know why I did not.

Everyone who posted actual pictures, please edit their posts and turn them into links.

In the rules I stated "links only" so those who have slower connections are able to load the page.

Thank you.

~*~

Now that I am done being the boss, I can post my current WIP. Its folded in half, in this pic, due to no space. The hole is actually both arm holes. And you can't tell, but its sparkly.

Edited by Kanaye

Sorry about that, Kanaye. I fixed all my posts on this page.

In the meantime, I got safety eyes for a little doll I am making so that's progress happy.gif

I just finished this crochet earflap hat for my nephew who's turning 1 next month. It's a dinosaur/dragon complete with spikes, tail and claws ;] I made his brother a knitted squid hat for his first birthday, so it's becoming something of a tradition to get silly hats from me for first birthdays.

No pattern, since it's just an earflap hat (2 actually, there's a 2nd one inside the first to make it extra warm) with an extra flap at the back for the tail and a bunch of circles turned into spikes, eyes and nose. Not very difficult, but cute as beans.

Oddly enough, I learned to knit so I could make my first nephew a baby blanket, and to crochet to do the same thing for my 2nd nephew.

I'm not actually certain this link is going to work, so if it doesn't let me know and I'll move the picture somewhere else.

Awesomesauce Dinosoaur Hat

Edited by Gelliebeen

Thank you, Klinneah.

I'm so very close to finishing my sparkly! Just have the top edging left, and then its sewing in the ends. I'm hoping to have it done tonight, but who knows.

trust me this is perfect for me. i lost the ambition to continue my knitting. i was supposed to do needle point but i cant find an embroidery ring.

Interested in a crochet along?

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/challengess.html

the shawl pattern is free and quite easy-- works up fast

this is the first one I did

almost done with the second biggrin.gif

I really like that!

I'm going to save the pattern.

I am currently working on a crocheted bodice for a Renaissance camping trip. No Renaissance clothing, no trip, and the only thing I can't sew is the bodice, so I'm crocheting it.

I am currently working on a crocheted bodice for a Renaissance camping trip. No Renaissance clothing, no trip, and the only thing I can't sew is the bodice, so I'm crocheting it.

That sounds really cool, Kanaye. I look forward to seeing pics of the finished product. biggrin.gif

I’m still kind of new to crocheting… Well technically, I started over a year ago, but I haven’t been working at it as much as I could be. Anyway, my first project was a simple scarf; not very original I know, but it was a good learning project. Unfortunately, I don’t actually wear scarves, but oh well; I still like it.

I then made several of these cute little bell ornaments, and I gave them out at Christmas. With the exception of my crappy bow tying skills, I really liked how they turned out, and they were well received too.

I’m currently working on a water bottle holder/carrier, and for this one, I’m not going off of a pattern…I’m completely winging it which, as anyone who knows me would attest, is something that usually goes catastrophically wrong for me, so I’m both pleased and surprised by how well it’s turning out. I’m planning on doing one or two more rows, and then it’s on to figuring out how to make the handle. When I’m done with this one, I may do another in yellow and black.

I'm not a hard-core knitter. I can't read patterns. But I think this is good enough.

user posted image

I'm currently binding off a shawl and RAN OUT OF YARN HALFWAY THROUGH.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh i hate unpicking bind-offs

A needle craft thread eh?

This-

user posted image

is taking my entire life.* Its the first time I've worked with blended threads and it looks really nice but is taking me forever. Oh well, it'll b worth it when it is done and on my wall.

*I swear I have other interests than things that involve dragons.

Just a reminder, post links, not the images themselves, please.

Sorry, I've been so absent. Things have been crazy busy. Hardly had time to knit. But, I managed to make a Shawl for my Library's Raffle. I made the cast off a bit too loose, but I'm fed up with it, so it's staying that way.

Hopefully someone will want it.

Vortex Shawl

Second Pic

At work, one of my friends is knitting, and I am inspired to do the same. I have been weaving coasters, bookmark strings, scarves, keychains, for the past six years.

A needle craft thread eh?

This-

is taking my entire life.* Its the first time I've worked with blended threads and it looks really nice but is taking me forever. Oh well, it'll b worth it when it is done and on my wall.

*I swear I have other interests than things that involve dragons.

That is very pretty. I have been stalled on a blended thread project for awhile now. It is a Teresa Wentzler sampler. I really must get back to it.

Oh wow! A group that crochets! They have everything here! I have been crocheting for about 2-3 years now, and had to teach myself in an odd way (my wrists are terrible after 13+ years of karate). I do pretty well, and am now working on a cupcake stitch scarf (it is going to be wide and warm for the winter once I get it done)!

I have not done knitting yet (those blasted wrists spoil all fun--like bowling), and so when I have time, patience, and some money, I'll try some knitting.

I m also trying to get my hands on some neon green and neon coral yarn. I saw some at one point, and am trying to find some that I can use for something fun. It is elusive!

Oh, and I go by Isis here on the forums!

Nice to meet all of you!