Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

8 hours ago, dragon_mando said:

An update: I have now taught myself how to jellyfish

oh very awesome! :)

That is a cool jelly!!

I've done cross-stitch (for my grandparents 50th anniversary quilt and others), knitting (scarves, booties etc) and crocheting (table runners with thread and scarves yarn with names inside, quilts, etc).

I haven't done anything in quite a while.  I think its time to start again.

I'll be going back thru this thread for some inspo. :)

30 minutes ago, a_god_s said:

I'll be going back thru this thread for some inspo. :)

Ravelry is good for that too, if you're a member!  it's ravelry.com, give it a look-see. :D

Thanks trystan!  I'm not a member... but I might be soon. :)

hehe you're welcome.  i'm trystan830 over there if you do join.... my project page is the red and green yarny ball looking thing in my sig (second row of graphics, middle graphic. :) 

On 7/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, dragon_mando said:

An update: I have now taught myself how to jellyfish

IMG_20200705_224703729.jpg

Woah! Teach us too? I have some great jellyfish-y coloured yarn, I wanna make a jellyfish too!

Posted (edited)

On 7/7/2020 at 7:53 AM, MessengerDragon said:

Woah! Teach us too? I have some great jellyfish-y coloured yarn, I wanna make a jellyfish too!

Uhhhhh I can try? I doubt I'll make sense tbh. I've never tried to teach anyone else anything crochet related.

I did this with worsted weight yarn and a 3.25mm hook. A slightly bigger hook should work too but I'd avoid going smaller.

For the cap/main body you'll start by making a ball.

• Chain 4 and join into a loop, then going through the center of the loop make 5 single stitches. Chain 1, make another single stitch in the same loop as your chain, then do two single stitches in each of the remaining stitches. You'll end this row with 10 stitches.
  • Chain one to start the next row, and make two single crochets in the following loop, one single in the next, two in the next, one in the next, and following that pattern until you finish the row with 15.
  • Chain one again for a 4th row. This time it'll be your chain, one single, two single, single, single, two single, etc, and you'll finish this row with 20.
  • Chain one and do one single crochet in each for the whole row. Do this step a second time for two total rows of single crochet in all 20 stitches.
  • Contratulations, you've halfway through the cap. Now to start decreasing. Chain 1, then put your hook through two loops per single crochet, pull through, go through the next two loops, etc. Once you finish the row, stuff with polyfill or scrap fabric. Continue decreasing until it's getting too fiddly, tie it off, and sew in your ends.

Now for the "skirt."

• Pick a spot about 2/3s of the way down your ball. Put your slipknot on your hook and stitch through your spot as if doing a single crochet so it's attached.
  • Do a single crochet in the next stitch. In the third, you're going to to into the same loop 4 times. The pattern will be a double crochet, a triple, and another double.
  • Single crochet the next two stitches. Go into the next loop 4x with the same pattern as before.
  • Continue this all the way around, join, and sew in your ends.

And the tentacles.

• Roughly 9 tentacles seems to look best. Actual number and Length is up to you. Generally I like it better if the thicker tentacles are longer than the shorter ones.
  • For skinny tentacles: chain as tight as you can so it curls up.
  • For medium tentacles: chain about 1/3rd longer than looks right, hook through the bottom middle of your cap, and single crochet about 3/4s of the way down your chain. For a straight portion hook through every loop. For a curly portion, go through every-other loop. Slip stitch your last stitch, again, about 3/4s of the way down.
  • For an extra thicc boi tentacle: chain about 1/3 longer than looks right, hook through the bottom middle of your cap, and double crochet about 1/2 way down, skipping every other loop so it's curly. Go about 3/4s of the remaining way down with single crochet. Slip stitch one and tie off.
  • Sew in all your ends.

TBH Reading this I hardly know what's going on even though I've done it five times now in the last couple days. Good luck making sense of my brain, this is not sarcasm. EDIT: I don't know how to read or write patterns. I just winged it.

Edited by dragon_mando

i've written some patterns, and this looks pretty good to me :) 

Posted (edited)

On 7/5/2020 at 7:09 PM, dragon_mando said:

I've been slowly learning how to crochet. I've mostly made scarves (both regular and infinity). I learned how to make mini frogs from a YouTube video this week.

Cuuuuuuute! 😍

I've seen where people have attached jump rings and keychain rings to little amigurumis to turn them into, well, keychains.

edit: Oops, didn't realize I wasn't looking at the most recent page in here. Your jellyfish is really beautiful too.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Posted (edited)

Wyvern I made for my BF.  45 inches nose to tail and 48 inch wingspan

IMG_1706.thumb.JPG.b49377715374e2b399c32ab275a6b18d.JPG

Design and pattern by Crafty Intentions

Edited by prpldrgnfr

3 hours ago, prpldrgnfr said:

Wyvern I made for my BF.  45 inches nose to tail and 48 inceh wingspan

oh wow, that's impressive!!

42 minutes ago, trystan said:

oh wow, that's impressive!!

Thank you so much!

all of your dragons and jelly fish look amazing!!

I actually just finished my two blankets today. I have 5 strings to tie off on each and I'll take a picture of them.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, water_angel said:

all of your dragons and jelly fish look amazing!!

i'm working on two crochet blankets, one is for charity, so that will  be finished soon. the other is for me - i know it's behind me, and i know i should work on it.... but, nah. XD 

edit ~ Plague Doctor - Begone, foul virus!

20200717_225434.jpg

Edited by trystan
to add pic of plague doctor

Posted (edited)

@trystan-He's so cute!  The other two dergs I made aren't nearly as big-about 30" nose to tail and 24" wingspan, just right for shoulder-sitting.  This one is mine and this one is my step-daughter's.  She saw mine and BF's and was wondering to my DD if I'd make her one-*of course* I would!

That plague doctor is adorable!

Edited by prpldrgnfr

I really need to learn crochet (I have a book of crochet Marvel characters that I never did because I don't know how to crochet)

@Little-Star - if you go on youtube and search for the stitches you need for the Marvel characters - Single Crochet - and add "slow motion" you should get some vids that should help you learn.  the tricky part with making the little toys is that the stitches need to be tight so the stuffing doesn't leak out. 

2 hours ago, trystan said:

@Little-Star - if you go on youtube and search for the stitches you need for the Marvel characters - Single Crochet - and add "slow motion" you should get some vids that should help you learn.  the tricky part with making the little toys is that the stitches need to be tight so the stuffing doesn't leak out. 

Thanks for the advise :)

16 minutes ago, Little-Star said:

Thanks for the advise :)

you're welcome!

feel free to PM with questions....i've been crocheting since 2012, and i also taught from 2014 through 2019 at the michael's i work at. :) 

1 hour ago, trystan said:

you're welcome!

feel free to PM with questions....i've been crocheting since 2012, and i also taught from 2014 through 2019 at the michael's i work at. :) 

I will probably start with easy stuff before moving on the MARVEL ones but yes, I'll try to remember DM you if I have questions. 

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Little-Star said:

I will probably start with easy stuff before moving on

some good things to start with are a potholder (use what they call kitchen cotton - it's absorbent and washable), and make a potholder with single crochets (which is a US term.  there's also UK terms which are slightly different and i don't know why).  with a potholder, it's a small item, and you can practice the stitches and stitch count to make sure you have the same number each row.  a potholder is small enough so that when you have a small item, you've finished something!  you can also use the different height stitches and make a skinny scarf.  again, a small enough project to practice with the stitches and counting them.

i once had a father and son customers, the boy was youngish from what i remember, and the boy wanted to learn to crochet, and his first project he wanted to make was a huge blanket. i wouldn't recommend that as a first project as it might seem immense and daunting.  start with the small stuff.  i made a phone case for my small phone when i taught myself a new technique, so i also do small stuff too. :) 

and my PMs are always open, and i'm on Cave Time. :) 

Edited by trystan
clarification