Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

I had a handmade wooden crochet hook that broke while I was using it, but never any other.

Ah. My hook was made of aluminum, so I wasn't expecting it to just break like it then. Though, I know that aluminum isn't a very strong metal at all.

My mom was showing me some knitting yarn at WalMart today and said she wanted a scarf made out of it. I kind of ended up spontaneously deciding that I would learn to knit and knit her the scarf and bought the yarn and needles. .__. I've been wanting to learn to knit for a little while, but I'm kind of intimidated by it now.

hiya!

I randomly started crochet with this crochet book and I am completely and utterly confused. blink.gif

I would REALLY love to know how to keep you rows even.

so far I am no getting used to stitching but I have trouble not stitching to hard,

I am using bowe crochet hooks and I use pretty much any yarn that looks nice.

I am good at the puff stitch too! but when I make scarfs it can go from wide to thin then medium, I can't keep it one size! so any help will do please smile.gif

hiya!

I randomly started crochet with this crochet book and I am completely and utterly confused. blink.gif

I would REALLY love to know how to keep you rows even.

so far I am no getting used to stitching but I have trouble not stitching to hard,

I am using bowe crochet hooks and I use pretty much any yarn that looks nice.

I am good at the puff stitch too! but when I make scarfs it can go from wide to thin then medium, I can't keep it one size! so any help will do please smile.gif

If you mean, for example when crocheting a washcloth, two sides of the washcloth won't be a straight line, then all you need to do is at the end of your final row, single crochet along the perimeter of the washcloth. That is how I fix that.

As for keeping your stitches at the same tightness, I'm not sure what advice I can give. I really only crochet amigurumi, so I keep my stitches as tight as I can. For the most part, the tightness of my stitches just came to me as I practiced more and more.

Edited by Windnose

You're welcome. happy.gif I just wish I could give you more advice.

ETA:

I've been teaching myself how to knit today. I had no idea how much more difficult it is compared to crocheting. DX

Edited by Windnose

Thought I'd share a photo of my latest UFO. The object as well as the photo itself make me very happy.

user posted image

It's a prayer shawl for my boyfriend's mum, who's having a baby in March. I'm almost done, too, just need to weave in the ends and add the fringe.

And that cat is simply precious.

Oh, those colors would definitely make a beautiful prayer shawl. I hope you post a picture of the finished project. biggrin.gif

Thank you. happy.gif

Oh I definitely will, as soon as I rescue it from The Finishing Pile.

Hmm, can we post latch hook results here too? smile.gif

I'm thinking about trying crochet... Is it hard? Any tips for if I give it a go?

I love this thread! biggrin.gif

Whee! What a great thread! I do crochet...can't knit to save my life, though sad.gif

Currently working on a little plush cthulu. I'll post pics once it's done biggrin.gif

@BreathingDragonHeart

I believe you can post latch hook stuff here too. I don't see why not. smile.gif

I taught myself how to crochet using youtube videos. There are a lot of really good ones on there and I found them a lot easier to follow than any walkthrough pages I found.

@dark_kitsune

Please do post pictures, I'm excited to see them! :3

finished shawl

Finally got it done, fringe and all!

Edit: And a week ago its happy recipient received it and loved it. smile.gif

Edited by klinneah

Here is one of my latch hook successes! It's lovely and I'm waiting to get some suede to turn it into a lovely pillow/cushion item! smile.gif

user posted image

That is a very beautiful prayer shawl, klinneah!

BreathinDragonHeart, that really is adorable! :3 I used to latch hook, but I didn't have the patience for it so it didn't stick with me. I don't think I'd have the patience for it now either.

Hehe thank you! I'm working on another one now, might take a while though! smile.gif

Klinneah, I've only just seen your picture, that is amazing. Wouldn't have the patience for that o3o

Edited by BreathingDragonHeart

Hi guys! I'm Di; I just stumbled back to DC after a long absence. (We'll see how long I manage to hang on this time.)

I've been crocheting for two years now, and knitting (in a manner of speaking) for one. I'm much better at crocheting; when it comes to knitting, I have to stick with the knit stitch, or I get in trouble, lmao. I mostly just make dishcloths and leave the rest to my grandma.

Almost everything I make belongs to someone else — I'm working on a washcloth right now that I'm keeping for myself, but I think it's only the second or third thing (out of a number of projects) that's mine!

I often forget to take pictures of my stuff, but let's see...

There's this slouchy beret I've made a couple of times (modeled by me and my friend Kia, respectively). It was my first non-scarf pattern!

Here's a cute fuzzy neckwarmer I've made a few of, modeled by my sassy kid sister.

... And my sassy kid sister's birthday present from last year.

The sassy kid sister (thinking I'm gonna have to acronym that) modeling my first mohawk hat — I've made three more since.

Right now, I have the beginnings of a shawl in crocodile stitch that I may never finish (sob), an ungodly long purple striped scarf that was meant for a friend of a friend (but I'm sure she's forgotten by now), a washcloth that I'm sure I'll have done in a couple of days, since I'm working on it sporadically, and plans for a Slytherin scarf for the SKS (yep, much better as an acronym).

I like projects that work up fast, because I get bored easily! We're getting out of scarf season soon, so I'm going to have to find some patterns for light spring/summer accessories, or try to perfect the art of stuffing and crocheting in the round to keep myself busy, haha.

I KNOW RIGHT

Yeah me too, I'm getting to the end of my money. Thank goodness I'm going home soon so I can work again.

A pretty little crescent shaped stockingnet shawl I've been working on since Christmas (I am such a slow knitter). This is my first lace project so I went with something on the easy side. Finished the body of the shawl 2 weeks ago and have been working on the lace edging. Got half of the lace done so only 400 more rows left to go till it is finished. rolleyes.gif Afterwards I'll have to block it to make the lace stand out more visibly.

user posted image

I've taken to lusting after expensive tools, like these flamewored glass crochet hooks.

Like, hnnggg.

And also theselovely handturned crochet hooks.

And these needles ohmygosh

The glass things get me excited. I'm actually a glassblowing student, and these strike me as a good way to practice. I definitely see some experimentation upcoming...

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to keep track of your stitches? I'm still working on that ripple star crochet bedspread (YARN EATING MONSTER!), and I'm adding points about halfway out, but I keep losing track of my stitch numbers. It's really creating problems, I'm afraid I'm going to have to unravel the last month of work...

Edited by nynaevesilverwind