Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

Ever get to the point you just want to give up? I made a pair of scarves for my parents for Christmas and now that we have 25 inches of snow and its like 10 degrees (F), they wont use them. They used them once after Christmas but then never again. I just left my other major project undone after that. After all i felt like my hard work wasnt wanted, but i had a bit of encouragement thanks to my BF who seen it and told me it was a beautiful afghan and he cant wait to see it done. I finally started working on the afghan again since it is for him.

I finally started knitting (using the Lion Brand videos and other internetty tips) and I'm making a simple scarf using the garter stitch. What I'm really excited to try, though, is this really cool free pattern I found for tiny heart plushies! biggrin.gif I'm gonna knit up several (if my skills can improve that fast) for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day. ^.^

Here's the heart pattern if you're interested.

Ever get to the point you just want to give up?

The baby sweaters I've been working on?

I finally finished the first one. I call my sister to tell her, and she said that her coworker (who commissioned them) said the woman who the sweaters are for is being a censorkip.gif*. She doesn't want anything she didn't register for.

So, I have 1, and half of one. Meagan said the lady will buy the finished one. That's good at least.

Ah, pic of finished one.

How do I get the censorkip without actually swearing? I tried doing xxx but it didn't come up...

It's four asterisks.

So my ripple blanket is almost four feet long already and still too small. EDIT:

Its' done! It's finally done!

Now for a new project. Unfortunately, when using Lion Brand Super-Chunky even a size 9 hook (my largest) isn't enough.

Edited by klinneah

Thanks Klinneah.

Oh, I like that.

I've tried to do ripple blankets and they've ticked me off. I went to a friend's house today and she showed me the correct way to do it. I may try one again, some day.

The one I am currently working on... Strawberries and Chocolate Blanket is commissioned from my brother in law.

I actually have about 25 more rows, but I'm not in the mood to take another picture.

This is my own pattern, though I'm sure there are patterns out there that have this. I like it cause it's textured on both sides.

Edited by Kanaye

I finally finished the first one. I call my sister to tell her, and she said that her coworker (who commissioned them) said the woman who the sweaters are for is being a censorkip.gif*. She doesn't want anything she didn't register for.

Thats Horrible!! 1 gal pulled that here but when she seen the handmade blanket made for her, she changed her attitude. She ended up getting 5 handmade blankets plus everything she registered for. Turns out the blankets were the best thing she got.

I am ALMOST done with my needlepoint project. I've been working on it for over a year. But this stupid cold will NOT go away, and I do not want to risk coughing on my project!

Layn, I had that problem about 1/2 a year ago. It was so fustrating not being able to work on what I wanted to.

*points to below quote*

I would be working on my friend's blanket but I am sick and I am sure he doesn't want me crocheting in my cold germs.

I now have his blanket finished, but as he doesn't have the money for me to mail it to him, it's been sitting in my spare yarn tote.

Edited by Kanaye

I quilt. :3 And once attempted a cross-stitch. My sister crochets, and my mom used to cross-stitch.

I'm better with a sewing machine than hooks, but it's still my first year learning. :3

I'm working on leg warmers now. The yarn is too thick for my gauge but I have a clever idea to solve my sizing issue once I get finished. :)

I have a very cute Octopus pattern but its not so realistic as its more anime looking.

Free Pattern

Its free and they are so cute

Bernat is having a mystery CAL/ KAL

last year was fun!

Starts Feb. 15th with a clue=square =pattern a week, to make an afghan

still time to get yarn, biggrin.gif

they want you to use their new product ,but most folks I know are trying to use yarn from their stash!

Edit: this is the one I made last year

@ god.ofthedead

have you tried ravelry- there are a lot of free patterns posted there

sign up is free biggrin.gif I put octopus in the pattern search and got pages ------

Edited by dragonpuck

I don't know if you all know what color work is, but I wanted to try it to see if I could do it.

Once I found out I could. I kept going. It's hard but do-able.

Then I'm on my 6th row of colorwork and I realize... I twisted when I joined it in the circle. The one cardinal rule when joining things in the round, don't twist...

Something like 200 stitches, switching colors every three. All that work for nothing. Other than knowing I can do it, which, I guess, is something at least.

Close up.

Whole thing.

It was pretty though. Baby blue and lavender.

*sighs*

Ouch Kanaye.... Since i dont knit i must ask. Is it easy pulling out the stitches like in crochet or no?

Pixie, its easy to pull them all out. Just hurts to do so, if you know what I mean.

Anybody know how to keep the sides of a scarf straight and not all jaggedy? The scarf that I'm knitting right now is so bad there's this one part that looks like something took a bite out of it. O.O

Anybody know how to keep the sides of a scarf straight and not all jaggedy? The scarf that I'm knitting right now is so bad there's this one part that looks like something took a bite out of it. O.O

I had that problem when i was making mine but then i remembered what my mom told me about keeping the sides straight. If you are using a double Chain and chaining 4 to go on the next row drop one and chain 3. It kept my edges a lot straighter and nicer looking.

Kanaye I do know what you mean. I had to take out a row and half of from my blanket cause i missed like 5 stitches and it screwed up the pattern. T.T Ripples can be majorly affected by missing stitches xd.png

Edited by D Pixie

Depends on whether you're knitting or crocheting. I have trouble with both, oops, but over the course of learning to crochet I've learned how to keep my tension even which really helps. The last piece I made (a poncho-type thing which ended up being too big) was complimented most highly; mom said it looked professional so I guess I did something right.

I'm working on a pair of leg warmers at present, kind of a limey green and a creamy tan. One is almost done!

You said you were knitting, so here's my advice.

Klinneah is right. Make sure your tension hasn't changed. I know if I'm listening to a very intense audiobook and then I go to a happy audiobook, my tension changes drastically.

If that isn't the problem then make sure that you have the same amount of stitches by the "bite" that you do below it.

These are the only two things I can think of to figure out the bite.

As to keeping your sides straight in general:

Every other row, slip the first and last stitch instead of knitting them.

So, when you turn, slip first stitch, knit all the way down to the last stitch and then slip that one too, turn, knit the whole next row, turn, slip first and last and so on.

I'm not sure why, but this gives it a stronger edge.

If you are making a garment (and I know you aren't) they suggest this edge because it stands up better.

~*~

On another note, I finished my brother-in-law's commissioned blanket, the pink and brown one. All I have left is to sew in the ends but I am procrastinating.

I will take pictures next week, probably, when it is officially done.

I started a new blanket though, a sort of colorwork attempt.

I tried taking a pic of it but I just don't have enough of it done to mean anything.

I have five rows of darker blue. The next row is 5 stitches of the darker blue, then switch to baby blue until the last 5 stitches where I switch back to the darker blue.

I hope I stick with it, cause it would make a really neat baby blanket, I think.

Right now im knitting a baby hat that looks like a cupcake!

Heres a picture of what its supposed to look like.

user posted image

Aww! Cute, Phantom!

I'm in a Knit-A-Long and we are all making Elizabeth Zimmerman sweaters. Those are all about percents. Instead of saying knit this many stitches for this and this many for that, she says knit your largest part and then do 30% of that # of stitches for the arms and so on.

It's taking forever! It takes me 16 minutes to do 1 row and it's 5 rows per inch. Yes, that means I don't even do an inch in an hour. I need 24 inches before I even begin the arms. Only 14 more inches to go!

Sweater

Isn't the yarn beautiful though?

I'm rather large and I needed 10 skeins, and someone had already bought two of the blue, so I went with the purple, my second choice.

Maybe when I'm done this one, I can buy the blue and make another one. If it's still there, that is.

I found a new favorite hobby: crochet roses. They're too easy!

Those are so cute! Is the pattern online? I have a ton of red yarn that I would love to use up on those haha biggrin.gif