Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

thanks @Little-Star!  i've seen patterns for knitted little toys/amigurumi - in fact one of the patterns i crocheted was actually a knit pattern that i translated.  but there's also some good vids on youtube too

thanks @GhostMouse - your projects are so cute! i'm surprised the cats let you put things on them... my black cat would have nothing of the sort.  my grey one might let me put something on him, but he wouldn't be happy about it.  i added you on rav, if you don't mind. :)  crochet cables are made with mostly front post stitches - all the crochet cables i've made from patterns, the cabling is done on the right side, so, front post stitches.  when i strike out on my own (not from a pattern), i'll most likely use back post stitches as well. :) 

@trystan Thank you! My cats are weirdly tolerant. I also bribe them with lots of treats! It probably helps that they've all been trained to wear harnesses to go outside, so wearing vest-like things isn't too different.

And I added you back! One day I'll give crochet cables a try. I have SO many patterns I want to make!

well that's cool about your cats.  my guys are indoor/outdoor and they've not worn harnesses.  but i imagine that helps.  my black cat goes bonkers over the Temptations cat treats, so we call it Kitty Crack XD 

thanks! i thought the pooling might have done something like that...i'm glad it did. :) 

I've almost finished crocheting a twin bed sized blanket, I will have to post when I'm done, a couple more rows to go.

I also crocheted a blanket for my friend's baby boy he's having in the spring.

i'm just past the 1/2 way mark on a huge blanket i'm making.  and then i make other things, not work on the blanket... XD

So cute! I love the colors you used, especially the teal. What is that stitch called? It looks really neat.

9 minutes ago, trystan said:

(so, we can post pics here, just behind a spoiler, yes?)

You can definitely post pics! People like to put them behind spoilers because if you have a slow connection, having a bunch of large images in a thread will make it hard to load. Spoilers mean you can load all the text and choose when/if to open pictures. I don't think it's a rule though, just a courtesy. :)

that definitely makes sense.  i know once upon a 2011 back in post #1, it did say links only. but the internet as a whole has changed a LOT since then!

Thank you @trystan and @GhostMouse! The stitch is just a chain three as a double crochet with three other double crochet stitches worked around a double crochet stitch. I don't think there's a name for it.

@Little-Star that looks amazing! I'd like to have learned needlepoint.

2 hours ago, water_angel said:

The stitch is just a chain three as a double crochet with three other double crochet stitches worked around a double crochet stitch. I don't think there's a name for it.

it seems a little more complex than that, but it's still really cool

that's how you make the part that looks like it's sideways. Most of the pattern is just the double crochet, and a single to build that sideways part.

2 hours ago, water_angel said:

that's how you make the part that looks like it's sideways.

ah, gotcha!  'tis very cool! :) 

almost 3 weeks later....

the top part of my Geeky Heirloom Blanket has been completed.  yes, the two center panels in the bottom row are off-white.  there's actually two panels below them that are also off-white, so it all comes together.

Spoiler

20200307_004132_medium2.jpg

Edited by trystan
formatting, of course

*dusts off thread* my Geeky  Heirloom Blanket is DONE.

Spoiler

20200502_161153.jpg

20200502_161131.jpg

20200502_161939_medium2.jpg

that last pic is a close up of the edging :) 

45 minutes ago, trystan said:

*dusts off thread* my Geeky  Heirloom Blanket is DONE.

Hide contents

20200502_161153.jpg

20200502_161131.jpg

20200502_161939_medium2.jpg

that last pic is a close up of the edging :) 

Wow, that is some amazing detail work. It's beautiful and definitely something you should be proud of. ^_^

I think the bill cipher panel's my favorite.

Editing to add a bit of my own crocheting, I learned how to do basic mosaic crocheting from Tinna Thorudottir Thorvaldar on youtube. The style is really gorgeous.

I'm thinking of doing a big blanket with this pattern in navy and an ombre green-blue-white.

Spoiler

OV5cW5P.jpg

Edited by Daydreamer09

19 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Wow, that is some amazing detail work. It's beautiful and definitely something you should be proud of. ^_^

I think the bill cipher panel's my favorite.

thank you!

ooh, yours looks very interesting too!

I've been slowly learning how to crochet. I've mostly made scarves (both regular and infinity). I learned how to make mini frogs from a YouTube video this week.

qdnICdo.jpg

Edited by dragon_mando
Spelling/Grammar