Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

I like mitered squares. Small enough you can haul them around with no difficulties.

What is are your colors?

Well I'm making a picture, pretty simple tree, grass, hills, sky. The tree has green leaves and orange leaves, the sky is blue, I haven't made any grass squares yet, but the hills are pale green-blue to show how hills fade in the distance. I have a lot of orange, bright green, and sky blue, and so those are my main colors, but they aren't in the same squares.

I'm combining orange with variegated honey, dark brown, variegated cherry. Then the bright green with dark green, teal, variegated sage with honey, and middle green (neither dark nor bright). The sky blue I'm combining with white, teal, and pale mint. I'm about 15-20% done.

That's quite the endeavor. Best of luck!

I'd love a link to a photo when you are finished.

That's quite the endeavor. Best of luck!

I'd love a link to a photo when you are finished.

I'll try to remember that so I can link one here for you. I hope I don't burn out.

I can't believe I never thought to look for this before. I've been knitting for...probably 15 years, though nothing really recent; but aside from a pair of socks that I accidentally washed/dried a few weeks after I made them /sob/ I pretty much do scarves.

However, for the past...10 years or so, I have been an avid cross stitcher. I've honestly lost track of everything I've done over that time, but I have made some really beautiful things. Once I get to a computer I'll edit this with some links to my favorite pieces! I do love showing them off, haha.

I can't believe I never thought to look for this before. I've been knitting for...probably 15 years, though nothing really recent; but aside from a pair of socks that I accidentally washed/dried a few weeks after I made them /sob/ I pretty much do scarves.

However, for the past...10 years or so, I have been an avid cross stitcher. I've honestly lost track of everything I've done over that time, but I have made some really beautiful things. Once I get to a computer I'll edit this with some links to my favorite pieces! I do love showing them off, haha.

Shame about the socks. When I started knitting in 2011 my main goal at the time was to learn to make socks. Unfortunately, the socks I've made don't withstand much wear.

Wow, SuperfluousBear! Those are neat!

I haven't quite gotten the Mitered Squares down yet. I've tried a few times.

My latest project was knitting an Openwork Poncho for my boss.

I've picked up my crochet and knitting needles recently too. Currently working on a dish cloth with a rose on it.

I have some of my other things for sale in my etsy shop. Link is in my signature. I will be adding more stuff after next week when all my appointments settle down.

I can take requests as well.

I cross-stitch and crochet. I had also taught myself knitting at one point, but I was never very good at it. Currently, I am working on a checkerboard blanket, like this one, but with red and black squares.

Up until last year I was working on a blanket and was about 30% done with it, out of yarn like this and similar to this. The finished product would have been about 4' x 7' with alternating stripes (about 1.5' wide) of the green camo and brown camo. Unfortunately, I lost all of my crocheting and cross-stitching stuff in a flood and have had to replace them, but I got some more needles and yarn and have started back up. biggrin.gif

I am completely addicted to crocheting and finger knitting! I just started the hobby in August last year, and I have been smitten ever since. I especially love working with jersey yarn, but have recently started working with acrylic blends as well. I've tried knitting (with needles), but I kinda suck at it and it makes my hands ache. I did enjoy it though, so I might go back to trying it again with a different kind of yarn. I've also tried hand knitting with merino wool and that was so fun. Too bad merino is so pricey, otherwise I'd be making blankets all the time. :P

I can't believe I haven't posted in here before. I cross stitch and have recently started learning to knit. Last year I made a couple squares that could be dish cloths before setting it aside, but I recently decided to try knitting again and bought a kit to make a hue shift blanket. I made a practice mitered square and I'm working on a gauge swatch to be sure I don't run out of the kit yarn before I get started. I liked making the square but the swatch is soooo booooring so I've been more focused on my cross stitch. I love seeing what everyone else is working on, I'll have to get some pictures of my projects to post here!

I am determined to finish a bell pull that I started in counted cross stitch, but haven't worked on for 8 years since my mom died. I used to stitch on it while we sat and talked, so it bears a lot of memories for me. It is a very detailed design on linen with a lot of blended colors and half and quarter stitches. I just hope my eyes are still good enough to let me get back to it. I know she would want me to finish it.

I cant believe I never saw that topic (ok the fact that mostly only on the game forum doesnt help) but I've been doing cross stitching on and off (a few picture on my DevianArt page) since the age of 15 (10 years now) and some knitting (also since age 15), but I mostly only can do scarves and should finish that Assassi's creed one I started for someone that I dont see anymore but someone else wants it. 

I've seen some amazing cross stitch creations on social media and I really wish that I could do it myself! Does anyone have any advice about where to begin? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but it's something I'm really interested in beginning. 

I used to knit every now and then, but it's something I haven't really done for years. I'm a little less interested in picking it up again than learning something like cross stitch, but if cross stitch turns out to be too difficult then I may just go back to knitting. :P At least I know how! 

I used to do crochet (those kits with patterns in them) but no longer do I have the patience to do them, haha!

On 5/15/2018 at 6:02 AM, StormWizard212 said:

I've seen some amazing cross stitch creations on social media and I really wish that I could do it myself! Does anyone have any advice about where to begin? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but it's something I'm really interested in beginning. 

I used to knit every now and then, but it's something I haven't really done for years. I'm a little less interested in picking it up again than learning something like cross stitch, but if cross stitch turns out to be too difficult then I may just go back to knitting. :P At least I know how! 

I would recommend picking up a beginners kit (you can get them at craft stores, Wal-mart, Amazon, etc) to try it out and see how you like it. The kit will have everything you need to get started so you aren't spending a ton on supplies only to find out you don't want them (not that cross stitch supplies are super expensive to begin with). The only thing a kit may not have is a hoop, which for a really small project isn't essential anyway.

The kit will come with basic instructions, and you can look up videos on youtube if the instructions aren't clear. Depending on the kit, they may not be well written.

Basically, you'll have cloth that has a sort of grid to it, and you'll make x's in the grid to make your pattern, like pixel art. You'll usually want to start from the center, to be sure you have enough fabric on all sides. Your work will look best if you make all your x's the same way. So either make all of them by stitching like \\\\\ first and then ///// or the other way around. It doesn't matter which way you do them, just as long as they're all the same.

It's a fun hobby and the learning curve really isn't too steep. With knitting there are so many techniques and stitches to learn beyond the basic knit and purl. With cross stitch it's basically all x's, some backstitching, and occasionally French (or colonial) knots. Once you have those, you're set to make just about anything you want. Backstitching is really straightforward too (it's like drawing outlines around your work after the stitching is done, and can really make certain features pop), and knots aren't terribly hard but they come up so rarely (for me) that I always find a video to remind me how they work anyway.

Last night I finished my first knitted blanket! This is the Hue Shift Afghan in the Rainbow colorway (from Knit Picks). It was a great beginner project and I learned a lot. I followed another knitter's idea and did mitered squares in the corners of the border, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Spoiler

72COcIu3tMIQyorZRUIvoYITh11SAE6jgjOcDuKp

well, i just finished a shawl... and i'm currently making a pair of socks..... but i've made a LOT of stuff since i started crocheting.... :D  (which was the beginning of 2012, actually)

Edited by trystan
proofread first, then post.....

Wow amazing works Trystan. I need to learn crochet. I have a book a friend gifted me with instruction for Marvel characters in crochet but never understood how to. I know how to knit tho