Kanaye

Crochet/Knitting/Needlework

What's a good width for a scarf? I started on a second one and I think it's too wide (about 8-1/2 inches/22 cm).

What kind of yarn are you using?

8.5" wouldn't be too wide a scarf for me, but I usually wear them with a coat.

I knit chenille "blanks" in 1x1 rib for a local fiber artist who hand paints them and sells at art shows.

She uses two scarf widths, 9.5" wide x 64" long, and 6" wide x 80" long.

With the longer narrow one, customers get a page of suggestions for different ways to wear it.

One of the styles goes around the neck twice and the ends weave through the loops.

Another is to make a larks-head around your neck and arrange the lengths of the ends as you please.

Recently, the longer narrow scarves have been selling better (based on what she asks me to knit) but the others are also popular.

I like handiwork quite a lot! laugh.gif

I've knit/crocheted/sewn myself a few pieces of clothes, some of them in school; we had handiwork lessons.

One of is a knitted vest. It's green; most of my knitted/crocheted pieces are green. I wonder why. However, I did it in school but it was too small for me so I gave it to my little sister. She wears it quite ofter and it's beginning to wear out.

I have also knit some scarves. One was green and it stretched out so it was finally very long. Other is a frilly blue-green decorative scarf which I originally knit for my mother but took it back because I needed to keep my sore throat warm in school.

I have crocheted myself a light green-yellow skirt that looks posh. I wear it for formal events. The other skirt I own is a light blue sewn skirt. It's very simple cut, so didn't work hard on it. It's much less formal than the other skirt.

I also crocheted a blue jumper but it had too short sleeves and it was ugly. Another piece I crocheted (it seems that I crochet a lot laugh.gif ) was a green(again!) poncho and I actually wear it.

My mother can weave on looms. She has uh...four looms and she gives weaving lessons to other people. She hosted a camp last summer where people all over Europe came to learn handicraft. Quilted hats FTW!

I thought I'd pitch in to say that I really enjoy cross stitch. It can be very time-consuming (as most knitting or sewing projects can be) but I love it. It is definitely relaxing smile.gif I've also wanted to learn needle felting, the little dolls and figures are just so adorable and cute. I really admire the skill that some people have for it.

I love crocheting. So much, in fact, that I made an entire thread about it.

But I am not touching another crochet hook, ever.

5 blankets in 1 month. Yes, 5. In 1 month.

I am all crocheted out. *wilts*

*perks up* But I still have knitting!

My grandmother knitted, and my mom crochets, so I've learned both.

I love doing it because it keeps my hands busy. and it's an alternative to staring at a tv/computer screen all day, lol.

I recently sold my first blanket at a fair that was held in my town. right now I'm trying to make cute little stuffed animals by myself, as in coming up with my own pattern for them. So far I've only done one, but I'm going to keep at it when school is done for the semester.

I started ANOTHER scarf (yes, another!) as a present for my bestest friend. The colors are black and electric blue and I'm making pretty stripes.

You guys are a talented bunch! I crochet, cross-stitch, embroider, needle-point, quilt, and do a number of other crafts. I can knit (or at least I used to be able to - I assume I still can), but I'm not fond of it. I don't do much cross-stitch, embroidery, and needle-point any more because it's extremely time consuming and no one wants to pay for the work put into it. But I have to brag a little and say that my cross-stitch is award winning. I only have one of those pieces left, and if I can get a decent photo of it, I'll post it here. I have a few more of those projects in the works, and then I doubt I'll do anymore of those. But I do a huge amount of crochet - scarves and baby afghans are my specialty.

The pictures of the scarves turned out horrid, but here are some of them. One is of just a close up of the "twirl" effect scarf I do. The blue and white one is in university colors.

Twirl

Scarlet and Gray (yeah, guess which school that's from)

Blue and White scarf (also for a university)

The Yarn made the lovely stripes

Every Bunny Loves Me - The pattern in this baby afghan was crocheted in - not cross-stitched on later. It's challenging as there are LOTS of color changes, but the end result is worth it.

Every Bunny Loves Me

Every Bunny edge

Some of my other baby afghans.

Pink Baby Afghan

Baby Jonah's yellow and green afghan

Baby Ty's Touch of Envy afghan 1

Baby Ty's Touch of Envy afghan 2

Yay! My type of people lol. I just picked up my crochet needle after 5 years and I took on a major project. A Granny Ripple afghan for my BF. I hope I can get it done before Christmas. Its going to be close to 60 in x 60 in. My mom taught me how and i hope i can break her record. 7 Baby Afghans in 1 month. She cheated and used the Mile a Minute pattern.

I was looking through the thread and seen some really nice work!

Classycal do you have the pattern for Every Bunny Loves Me? I showed my mom and she wants to make a couple of them. It might help get rid of her 6 apple boxes full of yarn. Sad part is that is what is inside the house and not in the garage....

Hello! I'm a new member to both Dragon Cave and the Forum. I knit, crochet, do simple cross-stitch and simple sewing. My favorite things to make are shawls, hats and scarves. Looking forward to getting to know all you talented people!

Welcome Ruby! I'm very glad you made your way here!

When you can, feel free to post pictures of your work so we can ooh and ah!

I am currently working on a knitted scarf. I'll take a picture when I have more of it.

I don't have any photos yet of my current project, but here's a photo of the first Evergreen Shawl I made:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17881185@N05/4111238362/

For the current one, I'm using Melody superwash wool from Jojoland in shades of lavender.

My first Amanda hat: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17881185@N05/2304042183/

My first fingerless mitts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17881185@N05/3892846335/

My first illusion knitted scarf: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17881185@N05/3969313549/

Thanks for letting me share!

WOW Ruby! That Emerald Shawl is stunning and the Dark Mark scarf is awesome!

What I'm working on is pretty simple, nothing like yours. I just got into knitting in May, so I'm still a beginner. I'm more of a crocheter, been crocheting for 5 years now.

Squares and Rectangles Scarf WIP

Kanaye,

Thanks for the compliment. I like your scarf. It's coming along very well.

We're opposites! I've been knitting for 5 years, but am still a beginner with crochet. I really liked your granny square blanket. I haven't learned to do that yet. I mostly do very simple crocheted items since crochet patterns and I don't get along too well.

Yay! My type of people lol. I just picked up my crochet needle after 5 years and I took on a major project. A Granny Ripple afghan for my BF. I hope I can get it done before Christmas. Its going to be close to 60 in x 60 in. My mom taught me how and i hope i can break her record. 7 Baby Afghans in 1 month. She cheated and used the Mile a Minute pattern.

I was looking through the thread and seen some really nice work!

Classycal do you have the pattern for Every Bunny Loves Me? I showed my mom and she wants to make a couple of them. It might help get rid of her 6 apple boxes full of yarn. Sad part is that is what is inside the house and not in the garage....

Yeah, mile a minute is awesome. I'm not sure it takes any less time - it's just more portable so you can take it with you and not have to worry about all the heaviness of a full size afghan until you start putting it together.

I'm not sure if I still have the pattern for Every Bunny Loves Me. I'll try to find it. What I did was take a cross stitch pattern and alter it for crochet so the pattern was not actually written down per se. If I can't find the pattern, I'll borrow the afghan back and make one for you.

I sometimes do some needle felting stuff, it's fun. I've made one small dragon and one large one (not finished) and another small one that I also haven't finished.

this is my first ever needle felting project result with little/no planning:

Front view

Side view

back view

Made with Corriedale wool and a wire armature that was too thick, but still worked alright. Maybe took me two hours or less to complete.

Edited by Shadowed-spirit-101

I have a question. Is needle felting hard? I ask because that Dragon is cute!

I've seen it done at a few Wool Festivals I've gone too. Doesn't seem too hard.

Pretty cool kimono, Silvor.

I am crocheting my first baby sweater. I only need to do the second sleeve, the bottom band, and the collar.

It's my own pattern too.

Edited by Kanaye

Yep, sewing does count.

I've been working on two baby sweaters for my sister's coworker. The one I have a picture of is actually too big, so I'm using it as an example.

Baby Waves Sweater

I have a question:

I'm crocheting a shawl and I'm nearing the end of my ball of yarn and will have to join soon. Problem is I haven't done it in awhile and I'm not certain how to. Can I just switch to the new ball and continue on? (for ex. while doing a sc: insurt hook, yo, draw it out, yo with new ball and draw it through both loops on hook, continue using new ball.) I'm worried that it will be too loose and come undone, but I can't tie a knot because it will be visible.

Suggestions or how tos?

Thanks bunches!

(btw I'm using American notation.)