TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

i just saw one were all the birds had the clear ornaments on their heads. looked like bubble-heads or they had space helmets on.... what am i missing here?!?! huh.gif

People were having trouble with a glitch where once they submitted their trees, everything clumped together in the middle. It was pure conjecture, but people thought that how your tree looked when you submitted it was how it would been seen in the contest. Sadly, there was never any say from TJ, so many of these people left their trees the way they were, thinking that how it looked when they submitted it would be how it came out. I have a feeling this is why there are so many cluttered and off-center trees. 3:

I hadn't heard about that glitch. However I've yet to see trees where everything converged on a midpoint.

@ misfitknits

lol, I saw at least one that did that with the angel. maybe their in space (visting the space chickens? lol) biggrin.gif

....think I should go to bed, getting silly

I hadn't heard about that glitch. However I've yet to see trees where everything converged on a midpoint.

I've seen many, many trees where most of it was all squished in the middle (of course, not just one straight line of stuff in the middle) like users were reporting. I've also seen many where things looked thrown onto the tree, and many users reported that, too. Or where something like the garland is half-off and half-on the tree, and many users reported that, too.

Yes, there are clearly trees where it was the user who placed any of them on, but knowing about the glitch and having talked with users who had this happen to them, I've also seen many, many trees in which it could have been the user, but was most likely the glitch. 3:

i've heard about the glitch early on, but i haven't seen any trees like THAT either: all ornaments in the middle or clumped severely. the bad ones i've seen are either empty *probably due to glitch* and then just completely OVERDONE. most of them you can tell that some one deliberately put MOST of those ornaments there.

there are probably some trees where the layering was affected though. i can't tell you how many trees i've seen where the dragons look like they've been duct taped to the tree by the garland and are trying desperately to get away!!! *dragon xmas hell!!!* and there were problems with the layering functions also.

BUT, i didn't experience the glitch, nor the layering problems.... i guess i consider myself lucky

I just thought of the most amazing idea for a tree. But alas, I did not think of it in time to decorate my tree that way. tongue.gif Would have been really cute and original, too. Oh well, might share the idea after Christmas.

o-o I'm starting to like some of the cluttered ones. But only the ones that are like balanced/extremely well placed.

Haven't seen anything too too clever yet though.

Entries that use each tree toppers are kinda getting old though.

i've heard about the glitch early on, but i haven't seen any trees like THAT either: all ornaments in the middle or clumped severely. the bad ones i've seen are either empty *probably due to glitch* and then just completely OVERDONE. most of them you can tell that some one deliberately put MOST of those ornaments there.

BUT, i didn't experience the glitch, nor the layering problems.... i guess i consider myself lucky

I heard people complaining early on that their trees reverted back to an earlier design even after they changed the decor so I figured it musta been a glitch so I kept going back to my tree every few hours to check to make sure nothing got thrown off.

I admit, I'm prolly one of the people who over-ornamented my tree xd.png but I've always loved a fully decorated tree, even in RL... fully decorated tree with LOADS of gifts underneath xd.png

The one thing I keep not getting is the blank trees. I've stopped trying to keep track of how many I've seen since voting first started, stopped counting at around 21.

I saw a tree with a "frownie" face rather than a "smilie". I rather liked it. smile.gif

*checks, sees that stuff is NOT where she left it when done* Yep, mine was one of the "glitch" trees.

Boo, hiss.

Well, after rating for a while, I’ve noticed some things.

Things I give higher points to:

- Rocking the full tree, traditional look. It’s hard to do that kind of abstract decorating and the more ornaments you use the more talent it takes to make it balanced in both placement and color. If you manage that, you get high marks from me (including some 10s).

- Well done pictures that are part of the trees design. If there’s just a picture or words or a face, then that’s not really my thing. But if there are those things and the tree decorating part wasn’t neglected? Bonus points from me.

- Well done silver/blue or gold/red color schemes. I get the feeling that some people felt that the color schemes, themselves, were enough. For those players who didn’t and managed to weave the automatically limited amount of ornaments into something beautiful, they get extra marks from me for difficulty.

- Good use of garland! The garland can be the most difficult decoration, IMO. I’ve seen absolutely beautiful trees ruined by the way the garland is used. I definitely mark up anyone who makes me look at a tree and be glad that they included it.

- Tastefully done gold color theme. Gold always has a greater tendency to look tacky, IMO. People who can go pure gold and come off elegant and eye catching as opposed to loud and garish get extra points.

- Precision. If a design calls for absolute precise placing and the decorator totally nailed it then it’s an automatic bump up from me. It’s difficult and time consuming to move things in tiny increments so that it’s just perfect, and I appreciate the effort.

- Exquisitely gradated rainbow trees. I adore the rainbow coloring scheme anyway, but the people who make it seamless get recognized when I vote.

- People who pulled off a great design even though they only had a couple of days' of ornaments. I can often tell when someone only had two days’ worth, and if they can do something great with that kind of limitation then I grade up.

- People who used all of the tree toppers harmoniously. I really dislike the over use of the tree toppers. So when someone does it and makes it work, then extra points to them for pulling off what seems almost impossible.

- Originality. Most of the voting is “Seen it, seen it, seen it, wish I could unsee it, seen it…” So when something breaks up the monotony I’m super happy.

Things I am trying to not focus on:

- Unintentional floaters. (Successful)

- Silver toppers over gold toppers – I don’t think that everyone gets the same effect of a 3D movie with no glasses, so people probably did it not knowing that it would really bother some people’s eyes, so I try not to let that sway my vote. (Mostly successful)

- Repetitive themes. Since no one saw what other people were doing beforehand, it’s not like there was copying or jumping on a bandwagon or anything. I try not to down vote people just because others had the same general idea. (Almost always successful)

- Trees I saw on the forum. I wasn’t happy with the tree posting, but I’m trying not to let it affect my rating. (I’d like to think I’m successful)

Also, I totally respect people who don’t give out 10s because there’s always room for improvement, but I’ve given out a few because I don’t see the voting as what is actually, objectively perfect, but what I think is perfect. And all that really means is how happy I am with it. And while actual perfection may or may not be obtainable, I like to think that I certainly have the ability to be perfectly happy with something. I’d feel bad if, in absolutely everything, I thought “Well, I’m going to enjoy this, but not as much as I can, because I want to save something for when a better experience comes along.”

However, that’s completely my opinion, and it’s not something anyone’s right or wrong about. smile.gif

The more I go back and look at my tree now, the more I wish I could move some things around. lol I think that if, miraculously, I make it into the top 200 it will be because my tree doesn’t seem to fit into either of the main “mark down” categories. Like some people don’t like picture/word trees and others don’t like traditionals, and mine doesn’t really fit into either of those. Plus, I have yet to see another like it. I think that if I did at least eek into those 200 it would be because I was non-offensive enough to get mid-votes from everyone. xd.png Which, of course, means that I would never win any of the prizes, but it would be nice to make it that far considering the amount of entries.

Edited by skauble

I like the grading scheme as listed by skauble, but I have to admit I don't take that much time at each tree. I vote mostly by first impression, meaning whether I like it or not and how much effort seems to have gone into it. If something catches my eye, then I study it more and get pickier. I'm also worried that each tree is only going to be seen by a few voters, so I'm trying to get through as many of them as I can, and I'll keep voting until the voting is over or until I've run out of trees. tongue.gif I feel sorry for the ones hit by glitches, there's no way to tell how good it might have been. I have, however, seen the katamari trees where you know it has to be intentional, it's just gaudy, and personally, those get low marks from me. I do try to keep in mind that a lot of these people might be young kids, but it doesn't help me rate them any higher. Still, I'm seeing several beautiful trees, and I'm enjoying the process. Overall, I have to call this contest a complete WIN! biggrin.gif

I was wondering if anyone had an estimate of how many trees are entered total? It's pretty late here, and I'm getting quite tired for tonight. Have I any feasible chance of rating every tree?

I'd like to rate every tree, so that if I'm a looser or stricter rater than average, at least I'll affect everyone the same.

I was wondering if anyone had an estimate of how many trees are entered total? It's pretty late here, and I'm getting quite tired for tonight. Have I any feasible chance of rating every tree?

I'd like to rate every tree, so that if I'm a looser or stricter rater than average, at least I'll affect everyone the same.

I think it was estimated at 8 or 9 thousand.

I like skauble's points as well, but I am amazed at how many do come under the category someone called "crapalanche." Most of those get one point, especially the ones which use the gold, silver and red garland strangling most of the eight topper. How many variations are there of that combination? I did give one massively loaded tree a nine, and a couple have gotten eights, but they were just amazingly above the rest.biggrin.gif So far, I think I have given one ten, if not two, but it's all beginning to blur. My niece gave up quickly tonight, after working diligently the first two nights. Is anyone having Christmas tree nightmares yet? blink.gif

8 or 9 thousand??! blink.gif

(It's over 9000?)

There was someone who called them "Katamari Trees." It was a very cute name for. . . trees with every single thing on them.

It is, sadly, not quite OVER NINE THOUSAND. But using 9000 as a round number (as we don't know anything more specific) with 7 days to vote, that's a little less than 1,300 trees to go through each day. I will be impressed with anyone who gets through them all, I think. o3o

Well, I probably have voted over 1000 already, but I guess I won't manage them all.

ETA: There definitely MUST appear the same trees from time to time. I saw several, more extravagant trees and I am sure I have seen them before. They looked to similar.

Edited by Aurora-Silver

After doing much of voting, I kind of hope that my tree will make it to final 200 (I myself would rate it 8). So question is - will we know who made it to 200? or will people be informed that they tree got voted to top 200?

I notice how quite a number of people have a small number of things flying around the tree unintentionally tongue.gif I try to look around that and focus on the tree biggrin.gif

Katamari sounds awfully like Calamari?

Anyway, I'm looking for outstanding trees.. tongue.gif

Some are really beatifull. But I have not managed to rate more than 100 I think. Hope I can rate more.