TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

But that's not really fair either. Many people used the space to the sides and underneath the tree to complement their designs. It isn't right to ignore that just because some people had technical difficulties with their tree. (Especially since the problem was resolved by the end of the decorating period, so there was time for anybody who had entered to fix it.)

I feel sorry for anybody whose tree didn't come out the way they wanted it to because of a glitch, but that isn't going to make me ignore parts of the picture that other entrants did a good job with just to try and correct for it. The pictures that look the best should win, not the pictures that I imagine might have looked the best if the artist had been able to finish it.

What i meant was that i don't give a low vote for things being on the side.... if the stuff on the side looks good with the tree it gets a higher vote. if it doesn't i just vote on what the tree looks like... smile.gif

[...] The pictures that look the best should win, not the pictures that I imagine might have looked the best if the artist had been able to finish it.

Basically that. As sorry as I am for otherwise lovely trees with misplaced additions (on purpose or otherwise) there are plenty as pretty that do not have those faults and since I can't read minds and don't know the person's intent, I can only judge by the visible end result.

@SilverDragonTears and if something looks bad with the stuff on the side, how do you know the person hadn't meant to place the stuff there? You're giving those whose intentional end result you don't like an advantage that way, by ignoring part of it.

*shrug* to each their own. I judge only what I see.

Edited by Carthasis

But that's not really fair either. Many people used the space to the sides and underneath the tree to complement their designs. It isn't right to ignore that just because some people had technical difficulties with their tree. (Especially since the problem was resolved by the end of the decorating period, so there was time for anybody who had entered to fix it.)

I feel sorry for anybody whose tree didn't come out the way they wanted it to because of a glitch, but that isn't going to make me ignore parts of the picture that other entrants did a good job with just to try and correct for it. The pictures that look the best should win, not the pictures that I imagine might have looked the best if the artist had been able to finish it.

It is fair to vote on what YOU think is best, by YOUR standards - whatever they are.

That is all any of us can do. I am voting on what would be OK in my living room - I leave anyone to imagine what that might mean. If I like to see stories - I will vote for stories, If I don't - I won't. If I like bits at the side - they will get my vote. If I don't I won't. ALL this voting is a matter of taste.

I will say that there are some bare trees that deserve more points than a few others I have seen - there really are. But again - that is only MY opinion.

Things floating are ok if they make, for example, a garland or bubbles or something else.

I rate them according to the effect. If they make me fall in love I give a higher vote (I saw a tree deserving a 5, but the scene around it made me choose a 7).

It is fair to vote on what YOU think is best, by YOUR standards - whatever they are.

That is all any of us can do. I am voting on what would be OK in my living room - I leave anyone to imagine what that might mean. If I like to see stories - I will vote for stories, If I don't - I won't. If I like bits at the side - they will get my vote. If I don't I won't. ALL this voting is a matter of taste.

I will say that there are some bare trees that deserve more points than a few others I have seen - there really are. But again - that is only MY opinion.

This xd.png

It is fair to vote on what YOU think is best, by YOUR standards - whatever they are. That is all any of us can do.

True dat. :-) Let me rephrase, then, without the loaded word "fair": I personally see no reason to give good scores to trees with bad-looking junk in the background just because it's possible that the tree's creator might have left it there by mistake. I'm going to vote based on what's actually in the picture, not on what I guess the artist might have preferred the picture to look like. There are plenty of good-looking trees which do not have such problems and I prefer to award my high scores to them instead.

I'm surprised at the difference between what I read here and what I see. A lot of people here have expressed a dislike of very cluttered trees, with only a few supporters, but the christmas-vomit-trees as some have so graphically called them make up a very large percentage of the trees. Which makes me wonder: are all those who made an ornament-obscured tree voting high on the other trees like it? Then we could be in for a surprise when the winners are announced.

On the other hand, I hope that everyone who chose to do silver-blue rates silver-blue highly biggrin.gif

I'm giving all the over cluttered trees 1. None of the ones I've seen have a chance of winning.

Sorry, but people should have put a tad more thought into it.

I'm surprised at the difference between what I read here and what I see. A lot of people here have expressed a dislike of very cluttered trees, with only a few supporters, but the christmas-vomit-trees as some have so graphically called them make up a very large percentage of the trees. Which makes me wonder: are all those who made an ornament-obscured tree voting high on the other trees like it? Then we could be in for a surprise when the winners are announced.

On the other hand, I hope that everyone who chose to do silver-blue rates silver-blue highly biggrin.gif

It's all individual taste - I know my parents do a LOT of silver & gold garland and numerous ornaments that have been collected throughout the years, but I like a "simple" tree. some ornaments, lights and a top piece. I wish I could put my train set around my tree tongue.gif

I'm surprised at the difference between what I read here and what I see. A lot of people here have expressed a dislike of very cluttered trees, with only a few supporters, but the christmas-vomit-trees as some have so graphically called them make up a very large percentage of the trees.

Keep in mind that a lot of the players here have kids or grandkids with their own scrolls (and by extension, their own trees). One thing I've noticed about kids is that they tend to think that more is better, and EVERYTHING must by definition be better still. laugh.gif But the other thing about kids is that very few of them have the patience to sit down and rate more than a few trees, so I doubt their votes will be skewing much of anything. smile.gif

I wish people hadn't thought it would be a good idea to arrange the unused toppers floating in thin air on the side of the tree. If they absolutely needed them to be in the picture, why not place them among the presents? I just saw a tree that would have merited an 8 or 9, it was so pretty, if it hadn't been for the floating toppers. If they had been far enough to the side so as to be an obvious mistake, it wouldn't matter, but when they are left on purpose.... meh. I wish I could leave the person a comment, saying how much I like the tree, but won't vote it for the random floating toppers.

Yeah, the topper overuse is killing some trees and it makes me very sad because if they’d just left them out they would have gotten much higher marks.

I generally work hard to ignore random objects to the side. I agree that it’s not that difficult to see when they’re intentional (such as dragon toppers all holding certain things) and when they’re not. But when I’m unsure then I try to give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn’t intentional and leave it out of the voting. That way I don’t really punish the glitch people, even if it gives someone who did it on purpose a slightly higher score that I might otherwise not have given to them. I’ll be harder on that kind of thing next Christmas if the issue is still around.

But, to people who used them all, don’t think that it’s automatically costing you as far as my vote goes. If you use them all harmoniously, I give extra bonus points, because that takes super skill. So if you believe in your design, then chances are it got high marks from me. Also, people who used all the ornaments – same thing. If you used almost everything and made it work, you get higher points from me than someone who used less and make it work just based on sheer difficulty. smile.gif

I'm disappointed I forgot all about this and glad my tree looks the way it did the last time I worked on it. I wasn't around to submit my tree. Did it get included anyway?

Edited by whitehusky3

I'm disappointed I forgot all about this and glad my tree looks the way it did the last time I worked on it. I wasn't around to submit my tree. Did it get included anyway?

nope. you had to submit it

someone gotta get at that glitch monster..... yeah - my tree is fubar - NOT what I had designed... EVERYTHING was thrown back on into default location - and NO - not everyone can log on every day...

oh well....

wish I could fix it, regardless of the judging. wanted to show a friend of mine (of whom I am trying to get into the cave) and she was like, "uhm.... i KNOW you didn't just throw everything up there on your pixel tree!"

can we at least get a chance to fix it AFTER this judging?

someone gotta get at that glitch monster..... yeah - my tree is fubar - NOT what I had designed... EVERYTHING was thrown back on into default location - and NO - not everyone can log on every day...

oh well....

wish I could fix it, regardless of the judging. wanted to show a friend of mine (of whom I am trying to get into the cave) and she was like, "uhm.... i KNOW you didn't just throw everything up there on your pixel tree!"

pretty sure we can edit them after the voting period is over.

Yes! TJ said that after the judging is over, he will unlock the trees and we can play with them any time we like. :-)

yay! that makes me feel better. smile.gif

the way it looks now - i just wanna "recycle" it like my RL tree.... heh

I've discovered a trend here... some of my favorite trees so far have featured the gingerbread man in varying degrees of mortal peril. laugh.gif

I've discovered a trend here... some of my favorite trees so far have featured the gingerbread man in varying degrees of mortal peril. laugh.gif

Lol That made me laugh. I don't think I've seen any gingerbread men in mortal peril yet, but i have seen a wedding, some hearts, ten or so "DC/I love DC" of varying degrees of skill, 3 or so dragons, a pokeball (it got a 7), Nutcrakerman vS Dragon Kong (it also got a 7), loads of traditional trees, loads of "upchuck" trees, spare trees, blank trees, and a single TJ tree (I think it got a 4.).

We can't. We can't tell whose are whose - we can only see our own and anonymous ones to vote on.

ETA ???? I was quoting a post and it's vanished.....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Cruel, cruel... laugh.giflaugh.gif

I can't remember how many trees have been rated. So sad I didn't catch the dead line QvQ

Edited by lacie17

Any ideas/ thoughts/ speculations/ random wishes yet as to what the prize draggie might be? I am so excited to find that out! And I hope they post the winners someplace so that we will see which trees " made the cut", so to speak.

Edited by LeopardDragon

I hope when the contest ends some of the people who did "pictures" will post them and explain what they are. I just saw something that had legs made of candles, but I don't know what the rest of it was supposed to be. I've seen several things that were obviously meant to be 'something' but I couldn't figure out what they were.