TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Here's my scale:

1 - Nothing or a random ball OR Godzilla came and everything fell on a side

2 - Randomly-thrown objects. Nah.

3 - This tree is going to fall on a side...

4 - Too-much-stuff! And where's the design?/Where's the tree, may I ask?

5 - Take something down and try again. And untangle those dragons, for Guardian's sake!/Wow, the enthusiasm this tree shows is...overwhelming. Not.

6 - There's something I'd take down/Dull colors, but not bad.

7 - This is nice! Not great, but nice.

8 - Ooh, pretty! Nice balance/great combinations!

9 - It looks like a fairytale book/postcard tree. I love it.

10 - *Jawdrop at first sight* Do. Want.

I gave 7 to a tree with a single star on top though.

Today I saw 3 dragon trees. Nice use of ornaments, I admit.

Edited by Lizzyluna

Have been rating trees the whole day today and too much IS too much - this goes both for trees and ornaments. I have the impression some trees are about to break under all the tinsel, glass and dragons... But I have also seen some really nice and/or quirky trees, just voted for the reindeer one smile.gif

I definitely need a break from voting, I see blinking lights everywhere xd.png

I'm always surprised when a tree pops up with no blinking whatsoever.

Lol... I've seen so many trees with silver/blue theme. I thought to use that too, but I've change my mind. Anyway, some of them are very pretty. One even remind me of AFI's song "Siver and Cold" xd.png. I love that song, so I voted very high for it...

Around 9000 trees ? So if I keep on rating as I do I should see half the trees !

I've seen 1500-1600 trees so far (yes~~~ I keep count of that xd.png Crazy much?) and gave only 1 10 so far.

Good thing about being on night shift, I'm way to tired to dream of anything lol

I saw a 'Love Joy' tree where Love and Joy shared the O... that was kinda neat happy.gif

thank you. (: and, how can you tell how many votes your tree has ?

TJ is against showing people the ratings their tree has because if you go by "average vote on your tree is a 4" it will discourge people when the reality might be that the highest trees only avgeraged a 6. (his example) and he didnt want to do precentages either (precentages being more accurate) because 50% of people would be unhappy that theirs was in the bottom half.

So we all have to wait till the end to find out if we made the winners list. tongue.gif

TJ is against showing people the ratings their tree has because if you go by "average vote on your tree is a 4" it will discourge people when the reality might be that the highest trees only avgeraged a 6. (his example) and he didnt want to do precentages either (precentages being more accurate) because 50% of people would be unhappy that theirs was in the bottom half.

So we all have to wait till the end to find out if we made the winners list. tongue.gif

Yeah, it's really good he's hiding it (even though I'm eager to find out!), because another thing that'd probably happen is people would come here and start complaining about low ratings.

thank you. (: and, how can you tell how many votes your tree has ?

You can't.

Eep. I think we needed a zero rating. I just saw a completely blank tree. No ornament anywhere in sight. blink.gif And has there been any discussion of any glitch to speak of? Because sometimes it looks like they decorated their tree but all the ornaments shifted to the side by like, half and inch. huh.gif

thanks guys. happy.gif i'm new to forums, and kind of new to dragcave its self . :] it takes sense not to show.

My voting criteria is really simple: would I want this in my sitting room? And I gauge my grades (empty trees aside) on that.

I'm not voting on creativity or whether I think a person spent five minutes or five hours on creating their tree, I'm going by the final result. I can (and do) think 'wow, a lot of work has gone into this tree', but if I don't find it appealing, then it won't get high marks just because a lot of work went into it, it needs to appeal to me, to make me want it in my home as well.

And it isn't just one type of tree that appeals. I've given both high and low marks to cluttered trees, sparse trees, colour themed trees, etc. It all depends on the tree.

And I've been consistent with this from beginning to end - well from beginning to now smile.gif and I shall continue to be thus.

Edited by Nikki_Of_The_Night

Eep. I think we needed a zero rating. I just saw a completely blank tree. No ornament anywhere in sight. blink.gif And has there been any discussion of any glitch to speak of? Because sometimes it looks like they decorated their tree but all the ornaments shifted to the side by like, half and inch. huh.gif

The glitch ? You missed the glitch ! It was huge !

That will account for many we are seeing, I'm sure.

The glitch ? You missed the glitch ! It was huge !

That will account for many we are seeing, I'm sure.

Really? I've been out with a cold so I haven't been on the cave as often. ohmy.gif Now I feel really bad for some of them. unsure.gif

Criteria: Do I really want this tree to be a winner?

Finding myself to be grading a bit higher on average now, but still nothing above an 8.

You've only seen one? lol someone yesterday posted they'd already counted 50 blank trees. (wish I'd kept track.)

I figure that the voting will hold true for the laws of averages-- with each tree already having received 120+ votes in only a few days, I imagine that it'll work out with regards to ratings.

I too tend to rate on the low end of things-- I've given out one 10. Then again, I am probably looking at this all wrong-- I review portfolios prior to their submission to various art schools.

Also: I tend to rate higher when I see that some of the "extra" ornaments are arranged nicely at the base of the tree, which shows that the person considered the boxes and gifts as part of their design.

1 - Blank Tree

2 - Katamari-tree-- where EVERYTHING is rammed on there with no rhyme or reason

3 - Lazy. Either one or two random balls or some stuff plopped on thoughtlessly. Suck-up trees.

4 - Lots of stuff/too many tree toppers that don't support the design/I suspect there's a picture there but darned if I can figure out what it is.

5 - An average tree. Pretty, but not necessarily spectacular. I can see they put in some effort.

6 - Interesting arrangement of ornaments/nice color choices/attempt at a theme, pretty.

7 - Very nice arrangement that manages to remember that the tree is part of the design, floaters are arranged in a way that makes sense, I can clearly see the design intent.

8 - Color theme is dead-on with regards to placement. Balanced, well-considered tree that succeeds in communicating an idea, whether it's color-scheme, a cute design or an interesting decorating scheme.

9 - Very nearly perfect in communicating an idea, design, or overall well-balanced in the case of "traditional" decorations. "Images" rendered in ornaments are clear, well-executed, impressive, or flat-out cute.

10 - Perfectly executed, well-balanced, visually stunning. I wish I had thought to do this!

Edited by Imperatrix

8 or 9 thousand??! blink.gif

(It's over 9000?)

There was someone who called them "Katamari Trees." It was a very cute name for. . . trees with every single thing on them.

I heard in the IRC it had not hit 9000. Its in the middle somewhere.