TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

You've only seen one? lol someone yesterday posted they'd already counted 50 blank trees. (wish I'd kept track.)

Erk! I really hope my tree wasn't one of them sad.gif

I just had a tree wave at me and say hi. Made me laugh so it got a 9.

velociraptor.pngbiggrin.gif

I saw the peacock tree today. I think I gave it a 9 or 10.

I have given out 10's pretty freely if I really like the tree. Partly because nearly all the posters on the forum are saying..It has to be perfect or spectacular. Well someone has to win so it might as well be those I feel did really good. I have seen some (to me) spectacular trees that got a 10 right away. And some that were....katamari exploded. I gave a decent vote to glitched trees because I know not everyone was able to redo their trees. The floaters got added points if they added to the tree and ignored if they were not quite as far over as the player thought they would be.

I saw 1 tree with the birds used as a tree topper all stacked above each other. Made me laugh and got a 9. I saw the green tree split with ornament tree...tree here and ornament tree here...it was neat.

Anyway I do want other readers to know their tree has a good possibility of getting higher votes. I am trying to view as many as I can.

One thing I can't really understand is people giving points to glitched trees. Yes, you can feel sorry, but do you really want those trees to be on the winner's list?

ive found that some people dont move the lights from where they are when you click for twenty... dry.gif

I think that's part of the glitch. I left mine hanging up there but they don't show in my final submission.

My tree is mostly bland and boring, I'd give it a four. Wish I had used more lights or popcorn. But on the bright side my tree topper design is one that hasn't been done to death, and a few of the ornaments I layered have so far proven to be unique, that counts for something I think. biggrin.gif

I have seen several trees with ornaments in a straight line down the middle, I don't get that at all.

I've seen a 2010 tree. Nice fail biggrin.gif

Fail? Isn't it 2010 Christmas we (still) celebrate? unsure.gif

One thing I can't really understand is people giving points to glitched trees. Yes, you can feel sorry, but do you really want those trees to be on the winner's list?

I still give it a rating of 1 because in truth, there's nothing there to rate. But still, poor people who spent time on their tree only to have it show up blank. sad.gif

I still give it a rating of 1 because in truth, there's nothing there to rate. But still, poor people who spent time on their tree only to have it show up blank. sad.gif

Haha, not just me then ^^;

Feeling very glad I didn't go with a blue/silver theme, like I originally planned... then again, rainbow isn't exactly unique, but still better, imo.

I've seen a tree with a star made of ornaments. smile.gif Nicely done, I must say.

Not necessarily... they could very easily have submitted their trees without ever decorating them at all, solely by misunderstanding the instructions. Not everyone who plays this game speaks English. They may have thought that by pushing the "submit tree" button they were entering a lottery, or doing some random thing like the goldfish "splash."

Anyway, I've seen many people complimenting trees with snakes or serpents on them. Personally, I had seen four or five snake trees and they all looked very ugly to me, so I thought it must just be a matter of different tastes (like the fact that I can't stand smily face trees and other people like them.) However, today I saw a *really* awesome snake tree, so maybe I just haven't been seeing the same ones people were enthusing about. :-) I find that I like the 'gimmicky' trees a lot better when there's an actual pretty tree there as well-- for example, a nice-looking tree with a heart sculpted on it looks great to me, but an otherwise empty tree with a heart just looks annoying.

This is one of the reasons that I’m kind of hoping that we don’t know the results of votes. I’d hate for some kid who worked hard on their Katamari trees and got 11% to hear some person come and post “Lol! My blank tree got a 14%” just because people think that it’s hilarious to vote for nothing.

I wished we could get some statistics - like how many trees we have rated, how many have been submitted (cus I would like to know how much more I need to rate lol), how many points have been given out (XX x 10 points, XX x 9 points and so on). There was a DC twitter message on Jan 10th "Over half a million tree votes given out in the past 18 hours. That's pretty amazing." But I would like to know more wink.gif

Perhaps we get this after the voting is over, then I also would like to have some statistics about how many people rated my tree and how (well not really sure if I want to know in case its bad news HAHA)

But I am super curious about this statistics rolleyes.gif

I wish people hadn't thought it would be a good idea to arrange the unused toppers floating in thin air on the side of the tree. If they absolutely needed them to be in the picture, why not place them among the presents? I just saw a tree that would have merited an 8 or 9, it was so pretty, if it hadn't been for the floating toppers. If they had been far enough to the side so as to be an obvious mistake, it wouldn't matter, but when they are left on purpose.... meh. I wish I could leave the person a comment, saying how much I like the tree, but won't vote it for the random floating toppers.

is there any chance TJ might lengthen the voting period? I want this fun to last longer!

I certainly hope not.... A week is HEAPS.

Don't care for the floating much myself, but I think it's great when I see toppers used in other places that WORK...it makes me happy inside. I just saw a tree where they had one of the dragon toppers was wrapped around the base/trunk of the tree. It looked AWESOME!

I wish people hadn't thought it would be a good idea to arrange the unused toppers floating in thin air on the side of the tree. If they absolutely needed them to be in the picture, why not place them among the presents? I just saw a tree that would have merited an 8 or 9, it was so pretty, if it hadn't been for the floating toppers. If they had been far enough to the side so as to be an obvious mistake, it wouldn't matter, but when they are left on purpose.... meh. I wish I could leave the person a comment, saying how much I like the tree, but won't vote it for the random floating toppers.

i wouldn't be so sure... mine is fairly close to the tree on the side and i surely didn't mean for it to be there. that's why i don't vote based on what's on the side. i vote based on what the tree itself looks like. they may not have meant to do it no matter how close it is to the tree.

I certainly hope not.... A week is HEAPS.

I agree. Also, I like that the result will be shown on the 20th, which is my birthday. Not that I'll win.

I've seen a tree with a star made of ornaments. smile.gif Nicely done, I must say.

I think I've seen that tree, it was beautifully arranged.

I've seen some barely decorated trees, I think some people just didn't log in everyday to get all the decorations so maybe they just did what they could? Of course I can tell the trees where the person logged in everyday and apparently felt compelled to use each and every decoration in some fashion so that it appears a pile of ornaments and not a tree at all! laugh.gif

That just doesn't look good at all to me.

One of the things I find myself voting heavily on is Tree topper placement. Simply because when you load a tree page to vote BANG there it is as the first thing you see.

Lol, swore I'd stop commenting but, leaving various details aside:

on my Tree, many of the birds decorating have paused to watch the Gingerbread Man conjuring not only ornaments but (supervisory) dragons which have not yet completely manifested and are forming from magical stars of energy emanating from his head, forming a sort of satellite of floating things around the Tree, the whole intended to represent a moment captured of a work in progress involving Christmas magic.

This may well not be obvious to anyone who sees it, but I had fun, my Tree gives me a much-needed giggle, and even the best Trees (which mine certainly won't be) have little chance of winning anything with these numbers entered, so that's not really a factor where I'm concerned.

With the thousands of entries postulated, others have very likely produced something similar, albeit probably better executed.

But even if my particular submission idea should be too silly for anyone else to have duplicated it, there are almost certainly others where the dragons are shown as partially called into being, or perhaps in the process of fading away, or are variously insubstantial dragon-Christmas Past/Present/Future-ghosts, perhaps using other concepts never even having occurred to me.

But the incompete aspect of the dragons may well form something integral to the tale told by the Tree you're looking at...

that's why i don't vote based on what's on the side. i vote based on what the tree itself looks like. they may not have meant to do it no matter how close it is to the tree.

But that's not really fair either. Many people used the space to the sides and underneath the tree to complement their designs. It isn't right to ignore that just because some people had technical difficulties with their tree. (Especially since the problem was resolved by the end of the decorating period, so there was time for anybody who had entered to fix it.)

I feel sorry for anybody whose tree didn't come out the way they wanted it to because of a glitch, but that isn't going to make me ignore parts of the picture that other entrants did a good job with just to try and correct for it. The pictures that look the best should win, not the pictures that I imagine might have looked the best if the artist had been able to finish it.

A week is HEAPS?? How can we vote for 9000 thousand trees in a week?

We don't need to vote for all 9000 trees apiece. More than 100 votes had already been cast for each tree as of this time yesterday (so it's probably more than that now.) That's a large enough number of total votes to be VERY stable, statistically speaking. My educated guess is that whichever 200 trees are leading now will probably still be leading at the end of the week. There's no need to draw this out even longer. When the week is up, I'd like to see the winners. :-)